• Published 7th May 2018
  • 483 Views, 14 Comments

Amazing Grace - Silver-Spirits-and-Ales



A veteran turned Private Investigator sees a cellist on stage. He falls prey to her... Amazing grace. As they grow fond of each other, Thunderhoof gets sucked into a conspiracy, and is forced to answer questions way above his pay grade.

  • ...
3
 14
 483

Chapter Fourteen: You always kill the things you love.

"Come on, we're almost at the green line," Thunderhoof panted, as he dragged his lieutenant across the plain.

Fog had descended over the landscape, and the major couldn't see more than ten feet around him. Sergeant Redwood looked over her shoulder. "Where's Mareston?" she asked.

Thunderhoof looked around. He couldn't see Corporal Mareston. "I think we lost her," he said, breathlessly. "We have to wait for her. Redwood, help me."

Sergeant Redwood helped Thunderhoof settle Hoofington up against a rock. "Major," he mumbled, in a barely audible voice. "I think it's open."

Thunderhoof lifted the lieutenant's tunic. Sure enough, Hoofington's deep stab wound was oozing blood all over his fur, in spite of the bandages.

"Redwood, I've got to take care of Hoofington. Cover me," said Thunderhoof. He wiped sweat off his brow, and looked for his bandages.

"What about Mareston?" asked Redwood. "We can't just leave her behind!"

"If Hoofington doesn't get aid soon, he might die," retorted Thunderhoof.

"Go get Mareston," croaked Hoofington. "Leave me here."

"Don't say that," said Thunderhoof. "We've lost enough ponies here already."

Hoofington grabbed his commanding officer by the lapel, and pulled him close. "Listen here, sir. I'm not goin' anywhere until we're all regrouped."

Thunderhoof pursed his lips, but didn't answer. Instead, he looked at Redwood. "You stay here and take care of him. I'll go out to look for her."

As Redwood started applying the bandages, Thunderhoof backtracked along the hoofprints that he could see in the mud. "Where have you gone?" he thought.

After a few minutes of backtracking, checking his surroundings for hostiles, Thunderhoof found a divergence in the hoofprints. A set of them were heading to the left. He followed them, and after a while, they came to an end. Collapsed on her side was a lifeless, drab-clothed body.

"Mareston?" whispered Thunderhoof. He went over, and tried shaking her back into consciousness, but she didn't respond. He put his hoof on her shoulder, and rotated her. Her eyes were staring, and a red cut in her throat was gushing blood onto the soil.

The major heard a soft thump from behind him. He let go of the body, and turned around, grabbing his crossbow and preparing to strike with his bayonet. There, facing him, was a griffon.

The creature bore the insignia of the Kudandan Patriotic Front on the arm of her tunic. She had an eyepatch, and was holding what appeared to be a dagger. It was covered in blood.

For a few seconds, both parties froze. Both were scared. The griffon's eye twitched. And suddenly, she raised the knife, and ran towards the major.

Thunderhoof raised his weapon, and sunk its bayonet deep into the mercenary's chest. She gagged and spluttered. Thunder twisted the blade, and was about to wrench it out when the griffon grabbed his right leg, and pulled it towards her, sinking the blade even deeper. With her unarmed talon, she clawed at the ranger's face.

Feeling the scratches, Thunderhoof parried the griffon's strike, and thrust his weapon forward to get her off his blade.

The griffon lunged at Thunderhoof, and screeched at him, revealing the inside of her beak. The major brought the bayonet back, and thrust it into his assailant's mouth, before wrenching it out.

She looked shocked, as her mouth started gushing blood. As she gave her last throes and spasms, Thunderhoof readied his blade for a third strike, but the griffon collapsed to the floor, dead.

As the ranger contemplated his latest victim, the fog gave way to rain, and three winged equines landed, some ten feet away. As their leader removed his goggles and looked at the griffon's body, Thunderhoof recognised their leader: Blitzhoof.

"Where were you, thirty minutes ago?" he asked sardonically.


"Look at me, please," said the doctor, as his patient opened his eyes.

Thunderhoof blinked, swept the room with his eyes, fought against the urge to punch the doctor in the face, and looked at him squarely in the eyes.

"How are you feeling?" asked the doctor.

"Tavy... where is she?"

The doctor didn't answer. Thunderhoof tried to sit up straight, but the male nurse held him back, and gently pushed him down.

"Where am I?"

"Norringcloud base," answered the doctor.

Thunderhoof looked around at the room, noticed that he was in a hospital, and deduced that he had been in some sort of coma. "How long was I..."

"Four weeks," answered the doctor.

Thunderhoof lifted his hoof and looked at it. "Not too long, then, I suppose," he coughed. His mouth felt dry. "Can I have some water?"

The doctor nodded at the nurse, who went to the sink and got Thunderhoof a glass of water. "Drink slowly," he said, giving the glass to Thunderhoof with his wing.

"Thank you," said the Private Eye as he drank the water, taking little sips.

"My name is Doctor Brighthoof," said the Doctor. He then indicated the nurse. "And this is Corporal Muzzleflash of the Pegarescue Corps."

The nurse gave Thunderhoof a weak smile.

"So I suppose my father put me here," said Thunderhoof.

"Yes."

"How long do I have to stay here?" asked the major, groggily.

"Your father told me to wake you up as soon as possible. If it were up to me I would have had you under for a few more weeks, but he did insist. So, against my better judgement, you are awake."

"And free to leave?" asked Thunderhoof.

"You're legally obligated to have a spot of lunch first," said the doc. "How does beans on toast sound?"

"Perfect," said Thunderhoof. "Better than whatever's in those drips, I'm sure." he chuckled, pulling on his IV-dripped leg.

"You might feel groggy and dizzy for the next four to six weeks," said the Doctor. "And some pain from those ribs of yours I've written a prescription for painkillers."

"Thanks, doc," said Thunderhoof. And as the doctor and nurse were about to leave, Thunderhoof asked, "oh, and can I have the newspaper?"

"Oh, yes, I almost forgot," said the doctor. "Your father told me to get you every single newspaper I could find and bring them to you daily." He pointed at a hitherto unnoticed pile of newspapers, sitting on a chair.

Thunderhoof blinked at the massive pile of newspapers. A few tabloids and magazines had fallen from the heap onto the floor.


The nurse eventually came back, holding Thunderhoof's lunch. He was surprised to see that the major had sat up straight, put on his round glasses and started reading a month-old issue of 'The Weekly Beak'. A pile of presumably already-read newspapers lay on the floor.

"Thank you very much," said the Private Investigator, not looking up from his magazine as the nurse placed the plate of beans on toast on the tray.

The nurse left the room.

As Thunderhoof busied himself with his luncheon, another pony entered the room. It was Hoofington.

"Heya, Hoofy," said Thunderhoof.

"How the hay you doin'?" asked Hoofington, approaching his friend and giving him a short hug. "I missed ya."

"Me too, Hoofy," answered Thunderhoof.

"They said they sowed you up like a hoofball," said Hoofington. "Police say it was some Cavallo guys who got ya."

"Is that so?" asked Thunderhoof, through a mouthful of beans.

"While you were under, I reached out to some ponies who can help us get payback," said Hoofington. "Ponies who have a stake in stoppin' this. Ponies who'll be glad to help."

"Who?" asked Thunderhoof.

"Can't tell ya here, ya never know who can be listening. Finish up, and we'll leave."


Once Thunderhoof had finished his lunch, and packed his newspapers, he and Hoofington left Norringcloud Base by hot air balloon, and arrived at Canterlot. As usual when he didn't want to be recognised, Thunderhoof had gone for his tweed suit and newsboy cap. He still felt dizzy, and walked with a slight limp.

"Well I can't say I haven't missed the sun," said Thunderhoof, looking up at the clear sky, as he and his companion made their way to Hoofington's Gentlecolts' Club.

They went up to Hoofington's penthouse, and set up shop in the study.

"So, the pony who wants Whinnston Chestnut out of action also wants Canta del Pronto out of the picture," said Hoofington. "All of this for the benefit of a mystery guest we know nothing about," said Hoofington, looking at the rather rudimentary conspiracy wall that they'd put together on a cork noticeboard.

"Yeah," said Thunderhoof, before taking a sip of his black tea.

"And the informant didn't say anything?"

"Just 'eyes on the newspapers'," said Thunderhoof. He looked at the pile of periodicals that were piled on the table. "Better get cracking, I guess."

Sifting through four weeks' worth of newspapers and magazines to find clues was easier said than done. But after a while, Thunderhoof happened upon an issue of the Trotty Telegraph, the tag-line of which read "CANTA DEL PRONTO ACCUSED OF INACTION"

Intrigued, Thunderhoof read further.

"Yesterday, an article surfaced in The Weekly Beak magazine, putting forward allegations of tampering vis-a-vis Canta Del Pronto, Prosecutor for the Special Court for Kudanda, and Whinnston Chestnut. The article accuses Mrs Pronto and Chestnut of delaying the delivery of justice by constantly putting back the trials, and even calling for their resignation. Given the Weekly Beak's reputation for publishing fake news and misleading articles, it is possible that this is just another attempt to make capital off a dire situation. Mrs Pronto was not on hoof to give comment.

But for once, shouldn't we give the periodical the benefit of the doubt? Given that Canta Del Pronto has not yet been capable of delivering proof of a single crime on the defenders' part, maybe she is simply unfit for the job. And given that the fate of Zebra-Equine relations hangs in the balance, maybe the journalists at the Weekly Beak are simply trying to do some good."

Sifting through several issues of the Weekly Beak, Thunderhoof discovered several other articles targeting Canta del Pronto, Whinnston Chestnut and several senior members of parliament. Every time, they called for the resignation of the aforementioned ponies. The tone of the magazines was desperate, to say the least.

"Might be something worth checking out here, Hoofy," said Thunderhoof, giving the magazine to Hoofington. "They've consistently been trying to get Canta and Whinnston out of power."

"Huh," said Hoofington. "Canta went full dark a few weeks ago. No-one knows where she is. As for Whinnston..."

"What about him?" asked Thunderhoof.

Hoofington looked through the pile of newspapers, and chucked one at Thunderhoof. It was a week-old issue of The Canterlot Gazette.

"THE NATION WORRIES AS THE GREAT COMMONER'S STATE WORSENS," read the tag-line.

"At approximately 5 AM yesterday, The Right Honourable Whinnston Chestnut suffered a minor stroke, which has nonetheless left him bedridden for at least two weeks. His deputy prime minister and foreign secretary, Anton Gardener, has temporarily taken over. For undisclosed reasons, Gardener's first official action as Prime Minister was to place the Equestrian Armed Forces on secondary alert. In bases all over the country, and in forward operating bases beyond the seas, serviceponies of all branches have been taking part in extensive drill sessions. Even more worryingly, sources close to the border between Zebrica and the Equestrian Kudanda Occupation Zone report that Equestrian troops have started patrolling close to the border, sometimes carrying out training exercises within Zebrica.

Responding to what is seen as a challenge and a 'criminal provocation', Lord Fasu, Zebrican ambassador to Equestria, has called for Equestria's immediate withdrawal from Kudanda and the extradition of the Kudu suspects of war crimes."

Thunderhoof looked worried. "If what I'm reading is true," he said, "it means we have to move fast."

"So what do we do?" asked Hoofington.

"Gardener is acting this way for a reason. If we go after his chief of staff or-"

"That's no good," interrupted Hoofington, shaking his head. "Odds are that anypony involved is just like Sabot. Blackmailed into working for whoever."

Thunderhoof tore the articles off the issues of The Weekly Beak, and went over to pin them to the cork noticeboard. "We know they're behind it," he said.

"Or maybe just one of them," retorted Hoofington.

Thunderhoof took a closer look at the articles. Each one of them had been written by a different columnist. "I doubt that," he said, pointing out the different names of the journalists.

"Well I dunno... the editor-in-chief, then."

At that moment, one of the bouncers walked into the room. He nodded at Thunderhoof, recognising him. "Hoofy?" he asked. "There's the prince here to see ya. And some other guy, says he's an agent or somethin'."

"Send 'em in."

The bouncer disappeared onto the landing, and came back about a minute later, escorting Shining Armour, who was wearing an inconspicuous outfit and looking particularly somber, and the 'agent', whom Thunderhoof didn't know.

"Well this is a turn-up, isn't it?" asked Thunderhoof, as Shining Armor sat down.

"Thought you were dead," said Shining Armor, reproachfully.

"I thought I was too," retorted Thunderhoof, wearing a face of fed-up-ness. "Why are you here anyway?"

Hoofington spoke. "Shining's wife is being blackmailed. He has a stake in stopping this."

"And you?" Thunderhoof asked to the other pony.

She was a young unicorn mare, with a magenta coat, a purple mane, and sharp grey-blue eyes. She looked stern, strong, and even more daunting than Shining Armor, who looked like a teddy bear in comparison.

"I am Emma Skulate, here on the behalf of the Pan-Equestrian Criminal Police," answered the mare, in a stern voice.

Thunderhoof wanted to ask her to elaborate, but Hoofington took the floor. "So, what d'we have?" he asked. "Your Highness?"

Shining Armor levitated a few papers from his saddlebag and laid them on the table. "My contact in the Ministry of Defense informed me that the top brass aren't just planning on defending the Equestrian annexation zone in case of a Zebrican attack. They're planning an invasion."

"Or they could be planning a counter attack," suggested Emma.

"Trust me, they aren't," retorted Shining Armor. "I know they aren't."

Emma blinked. "I'd like to know who is this contact of yours," she stated. "If they truly have divulges Equestrian battle plans, they are guilty of High Treason."

"He's protected class," retorted Shining. "You won't get your hooves on him." He shot a glare at Thunderhoof, indicating that this 'contact' was someone that the major knew.

"We'll see about that," said the agent.

"Why are you here, again?" asked Thunderhoof.

"Because my organisation spent months, if not years, gathering evidence of Kudandan War Crimes, and whoever is behind this plot is also blackmailing judges and giving free passes to the culprits," responded Emma. "So to answer your question, this whole plot is getting on my nerves."

"Fair enough."

"Let me ask you this, Major: what have you discovered thus far?" asked the agent.

Thunderhoof went over to the board, and indicated the articles that were tacked to it. He explained that four different journalists had been attacking Canta del Pronto and Whinnston Chestnut.

"I recognise one of those names," said Emma. "Colt Whistle. He's been under investigation for libel for a few years now. We lost all trace of him at about the same time as when you went into your coma." She slid a file over to Thunderhoof, who opened it to reveal the face of the pony he'd met at the factory in Trottingham.

"I met him," said Thunderhoof. "He told me to keep an eye on the newspapers before disappearing." He took a closer look at the file.


EQUESTRIAN INTELLIGENCE COMMUNITY
FILE NO.5392- COLT WHISTLE

Legal information:
Full Name: COLT DOGGINGTON WHISTLE.
Also Known as: N/A
Occuptation(s): Columnist.
Place of birth: Manehattan, North-Eastern Equestria
Residence: Corner Fifth and Blaze, Manehattan
Family: Dog Whistle (Father); Saville Orange (Mother)

Biological information:
Species: Unicorn (M-Earth Pony F-Unicorn).
Sex: Male.
Mane: Flaming red.
Coat: Gray.
Eyes: Emerald
Height: 5 ft
Cutie mark: Quill and blank parchment.

Alma Mater:
Studied Journalism and political science at Hayvard University

General information

Colt Whistle has been on both the PECP and the RIB's radar for over two years, ever since he published shameful articles in The Weekly Beak, slandering dignitaries from Equestria and other foreign countries, such as the Mayor of Manehattan, Princess Cadance, Lord Fasu of Zebrica and Prince Shining Armor.


"Well that complicates matters," said Emma. "If what you're saying is true, this means that Colt Whistle isn't acting on his own."

"He knows who is behind the conspiracy," said Thunderhoof. "If we can find him, we'll have our culprit."

Hoofington chimed in. "What I wanna know is what they want."

"Minerals," responded Thunderhoof. "Haysley said that they were after minerals."

"He didn't say where they were?" asked the agent.

"No."

"Now that you mention it, it seems obvious," said Shining Armor. "Zebrica is rich with gold, iron, gems, all those kinds of stuff. I'd bet anything that they want to invade Zebrica to secure those resources for themselves."

"That doesn't make much sense," said Thunderhoof. "Just because you invade a country doesn't mean you get their mines. Who owns the rights to those minerals?"

"No-one," answered Emma. "Well, the Zebrican government does. They're very conservative about what they take from underground, so mining operations are almost nonexistent, and are heavily taxed. That would obviously change if the country became annexed by Equestria."

"So what we need to do is find out which companies would have an interest in obtaining mining rights to Zebrica," said Shining Armor.

"What, all of them?" said Hoofington, sarcastically.

Emma sighed, scribbled a note on a spare bit of parchment, and made it disappear with a flick of her horn. A few seconds later, the hearth lit up and spat out a few rolls. She picked one up and unravelled it. "Fancy Pants Natural Resources?" she asked.

"Possible," answered Thunderhoof.

"Rarity Gemstones Limited?"

Thunderhoof could hardly imagine Rarity plotting the invasion of a foreign country. "No."

"The Sabot Mining company?"

"Their owner is involved," said Thunderhoof. "Unwillingly."

"Sangbleu Natural Resources?"

"I've heard that name before," said Thunderhoof.

Hoofington shuffled uneasily. Emma Skulate obviously noticed that, because she said, "something you aren't telling us, mister Hoofington?"

"What? No."

"Then stop fidgeting," spat Emma.

"Oh, they're the company that-" started Thunderhoof, but he stopped when Hoofington shot him a meaningful glare. "-acquired the Weekly Beak, I think."

"Sangbleu Publishing, yes," said Emma. "Both companies belong to the Sangbleu Holdings Group."

"Well that solves part of our problem," said Thunderhoof. "I think we have a picture of what's going on."

"Go ahead," said Shining Armor.

"First things first," said Thunderhoof. "Their goal is to acquire Zebrican natural resources by instigating a war between Zebrica and Equestria. To do so, they have to build up tension between the two countries. That's why they're blackmailing judges to have the war criminals let off by the court. Tensions between Zebrica and Equestria are tensed up by the court's verdict. Once that is done, they get somepony they know into power by disgracing the incumbent. That's why they've been attacking Chestnut and Pronto. Once the executive power is within their hooves, they prepare for war. And to silence anypony who would be unfavourable to the invasion, they blackmail the three Commanders-in-chief of the Armed Forces."

"And now we have an idea of who they are," said Shining Armor. "The Sangbleu Holding Group."

"We can't jump to conclusions just yet," said Emma. "We don't know if it is the whole corporation that's after the mines, or if it's just one of their board doing this."

"You're right," said Shining Armor. "But how do we find that out?"

The room fell into silence. But after a while, Thunderhoof spoke. "There's something we're missing," he said. "Hoofington told me that the mobsters back in Trottingham were part of the Cavallo crime family."

"You mean," said Emma, "the same family that held Fluttershy hostage and..." her face fell. "Tried to kill Poppy Heart!"

"Well that's a name I haven't heard in a while," said Thunderhoof. But then he understood what she meant. "You don't think... that the Cavallo Family are part of this, do you?"

"It's a possibility," said Emma.

"Come to think of it," said Hoofington, "The Cavallos might have some idea of where Colt Whistle is. If they lead us to him, we can ask him who's behind all of this."

"So what do I need to do?" asked Thunderhoof.

"Find who they are, and find their blackmail material," instructed Emma. "Then-"

"Then I bring them to justice?" asked Thunderhoof.

"No," answered Emma.

"I'm sorry?"

"When you find the extortion material that they're using to blackmail our civil servants, I want you to acquire it and burn it in my presence," said the agent.

"But we need to-"

"Look, Thunder," said Shining Armor. "Emma and I have discussed this. If we take it in as evidence to use against them in court, even if we win, this could question the princesses' entire legitimacy. Not to mention the entire system's legitimacy. It's best if we just incapacitate them. Behind the scenes."

"What, you're agreeing to this?" asked Thunderhoof in disbelief.

"Essentially."

Thunderhoof pointed at Emma Skulate. "You're an agent of the Crown!" he explained. "You're supposed to defend the truth, whatever it is!" He then looked at Shining Armor. "And you're the prince! You don't want to see justice done to your wife?"

"It's for the greater good, Major," said the agent.

Thunderhoof looked at Hoofington for some backup, but Hoofington just looked down at the floor. Mouth wide, isolated, Thunderhoof admitted that he was defeated. "Very well," he said. "I'll do as you ask."

"Good," said Emma. "Also, gentlecolts, I think it is best if we don't talk again until everything is resolved. I'll be waiting on you, Major." She shuffled her papers, put them into her saddlebag, and got up. She gave a business card to Thunderhoof. "One last thing." she pulled a badge out of her saddlebag and levitated it into Thunderhoof's pocket. "You're now a probationary agent. It should get you behind closed doors." She then cleared her throat. "Major, Hoofington, Your Highness..." She nodded at them before leaving the room. Shining Armor imitated her.


"So, would you mind telling me what your relation to these Sangbleu fellas is?" asked Thunderhoof, as he entered his hotel suite, huffing. "They're the guys who cut your supplies off, right?"

"It's nothin'," answered Hoofington. "They tried to recruit me, but I didn't wanna. So, I dunno, they just cut me off I guess."

Thunderhoof started packing his suitcase. "And you wouldn't happen to know anything about who is behind it all?"

"Nah."

"I see."

"Are ya mad at me?" asked Hoofington.

"If you'd told me about them before, it would have saved me a lot of trouble," answered Thunderhoof. "But it's unimportant."

"Look, Thunder," said Hoofington. "There's somethin' I need to tell ya."

"Oh, is that so?" asked Thunderhoof, sarcastically. "Come on, I am absolutely DYING to hear it."

"Big eats small, Thunderhoof," said Hoofington. "And right now, you're biting off more than you can chew."

"Your point being?"

"You don't have to do this. I mean, come on, an invasion of Zebrica... it ain't as if we're the most evil country around, right?"

"Look, somepony has to do it," said Thunderhoof.

"I can get ya out of here," said Hoofington. "A new identity, a new house, a new life. A fresh start."

"No."

"And there's nothin' else I can say to change your mind?"

"No." Hoofington threw a few suits into his suitcase. "So how am I getting to the Cavallos?"

"There's a bartender I know in Manehattan. Name's Mango Twist, he can lead you to them. Owes me a favour anyway."

"Fine," said Thunderhoof. "Tell Octavia to join me at the station."

"You can't be serious?" asked Hoofington in disbelief.

"I'm dead serious," answered Thunderhoof. "I love her, Hoofy," he said. He packed the last of what he needed into the suitcase, and violently slammed the lid down.

"Why do you do it?" asked Hoofington. "Why risk your neck like this to stop... a tin-foil-hat conspiracy? Why can't you just let go?"

"Well somepony has to do it. I mean, I might as well."

"And there's ya catchphrase again," said Hoofington, exasperated. "Hold the press! Big Stallion Thunderhoof's gonna save the world with his ego!"

"Essentially," said Thunderhoof. "We'll talk about my ego more if I come back alive."

"Ya see?" said Hoofington. "You don't even have the common sense to leave your girlfriend behind. To not bring her into your misadventures. You're gonna get Octavia killed!"

Thunderhoof didn't respond.

"And that's what always happens! You always kill the things ya love!"

"You watch your mouth!" Thunderhoof snapped.

"Oh yeah? Rosebush! What about her, huh? She only died 'cuz you dragged her into the battle! Everypony knew you were screwin' her! And what about your other girlfriends, huh? Your whores? Everypony else? That zebra you left in Zebrica?"

"WELL MAYBE IF I'D HAD A BETTER LIEUTENANT EVERYPONY WOULD HAVE LIVED!" shouted Thunderhoof. "MAYBE IF I HAD A FRIEND WHO ACTUALLY CARED ABOUT MY LIFE AND DIDN'T JUST WANT MONEY OUT OF ME, THE WORLD WOULD BE A DAMNED BETTER PLACE!"

There was an awkward silence.

"Alright," retorted Hoofington. "Then I suppose it's goodbyes for us, then."

"Look, I'm sorry," said Thunderhoof.

Hoofington nodded, but made sure not to look at his friend. "Sure you are." He went over to the door. "Be careful, Thunder."