• Published 19th Apr 2018
  • 558 Views, 13 Comments

Growing Sun - MorbidTheBrony



We all know Sunset Shimmer became the most powerful girl at CHS. But how exactly did she cope with the human world when she first arrived?

  • ...
3
 13
 558

Getting Accepted... Somehow

Sunset was thinking to herself while laying on her crash mat. She wasn't really sure if she should start attending school either before or after she finds an actual house to live in rather than sleeping in a smelly gymnasium, not that she hated it though. Then it hit her. If she attended the school first, then she probably didn't have to worry as much when she's sneaking around the school at night. She didn't know exactly that would help her but she just went with her decision.

She felt as though she had already experienced the worst this world had to offer. What was so bad about applying for a school anyway? Couldn't be anywhere near as bad as unclogging a toilet, right? So then it was decided, she was going to apply for CHS first thing tomorrow.

~The next morning~

Sunset made sure she got to sleep early last night to make sure she'd be up and early to make it out of the school again before anyone arrived. She got up and made her way out of the gymnasium. She peeked through the door and listened out for any footsteps or anything at all to signify that someone else was here. She heard nothing, the coast is clear. Sunset began jogging her way down the halls and made it to the front door. She gave it a pull but it wouldn't budge.

She facepalmed. 'Ugh! How did I forget? Nobody arrives until 8,' she thought to herself.

She peered up to the clock behind her. It read, "7:08".

Sunset let out a sigh. "Guess I got up a little to early, huh?" she said to herself.

She sat down by the trophy cabinet and just waited for time to pass.

Time was passing by very slowly. Each second felt like a hour. She waited and waited and waited. From time to time, Sunset would look back up at the clock and almost two minutes would have went by each time she looked.

She looked up for what felt like the seventh time. The clock now read, "7:19".

Sunset groaned and stood back up. "Y'know what? I'll become a fossil by the time someone finally arrives," she said. "Guess I'll give myself a tour of the school. That oughta pass the time."

She stood back up and set out to explore the many many halls and rooms of this school.

"Wow... This place didn't look this big from the outside," she said glancing through the windows of the hundreds of doors leading to classrooms. "Gym, maths department, English department, languages department- man, this place has everything," Sunset listed the different classes she had already passed.

Sunset has lived in the school for quite a while, but she never got the chance to really check the place out. She was only able to peek through the windows of the classroom doors, due to all of them being locked.

Sunset eventually crossed a double-door. She approached it and gave the handle a pull. Sunset was surprised that it actually opened. She made her way inside and her eyes were met with a large cafeteria.

"Wow... How big is this school...?" she said staring in every direction possible.

It wasn't the most exciting place Sunset has ever been to but it was quite a sight. Tables were laid all through out the cafeteria and six to eight seats were set upon the tables.

Why were they on top of the tables? She may never know but, quite frankly, she didn't exactly care.

Her stay in the cafeteria didn't stay long as she wanted to continue this tour.

Sunset continued her way down the hall. She passed the computer labs, the library and the-

Sunset stopped in her tracks and began walking backwards. She stopped at a large pair of double-doors with a sign above it that read, "Library". She tried the handle but, not surprisingly, it was locked. She practically squished her face against the windows and looked inside.

"Wow!" she said with large eyes. "This place looks amazing!"

On the other side of the window was a large library. Two floors and thousands of books just waiting to be read. It was an incredible sight to see for dear Miss. Shimmer.

But she was pulled away from the library window as she heard what sounded like the clicks of a door opening and closing. Sunset looked around for the nearest clock. She found one and it read, "7:50".

Her heart rate increased. "No one should be here for another ten minutes!" she silently exclaimed. "Who's here this early?!"

She began pacing down the halls away from where she heard that door as to not make many noise.

To her, she was travelling through a giant labyrinth. Sunset couldn't tell which hallway was one she had walked through, they all almost looked the exact same. Sunset eventually came across a hallway she knew she had passed before; she could recognise that one dent in one of the lockers anyday.

"This hallway isn't to far away from the exit. I can make it," Sunset whispered.

She quickened her pace but made sure she stayed silent as to not draw attention from whoever was in the building with her. What she didn't realise was that as she was practically jogging down the hallway, she was quickening her pace further until she was running. Sunset continued down the hall until, for the first time in quite a while, she tripped herself up and her face had collided with the floor.

She groaned in pain, ignoring her volume, "Uuggh! My nose!"

Sunset sat on her knees and continued to groan as the held onto her nose. She held her hands out to check if there was any blood staining them. There was only a little bit of blood but nothing bad. She wiped her nose against her sleeve and began jogging back down the hall again, keeping her volume at a minimum.

She was surprised that she didn't get the attention of the person inside of this school but also very glad she didn't.

Sunset approached the glass double-doors and made her way out of the school and what a lovely day it was outside: The sun was shining bright, barely a cloud in sight, birds soaring through the sky and a light breeze flying by (Hehe. Poet and didn't even know it).

First things first. Sunset had about an hour until she had to return to apply so the least she could do was go grab breakfast.

"I hear that that 'SugarCube Corner' place is doing deals on breakfast right about now, " Sunset said now walking away from the school.

~57 minutes later~

Sunset returned to the school all nice and full of energy.

"I don't know what they put in that latte, but that stuff really pumps me up!" she announced to herself.

What Sunset had noticed that the once empty school was now crowded by many many groups of teenagers all around the school. She tried to find her way past these people as it was probably a great time to speak to whoever ran this school. Whenever she was blocked off by a student, they would end up getting a barge from the pony-turned-human's arm. Seeing as so many people had surrounded the school, Sunset wasn't easily noticed whenever she pushed someone. They would think it was just an accident caused by another student.

Susnet made her way back inside of the school and to her dismay, it was filled with way more students than the ones that stood outside. An upside to this is that nobody had really blocked the way; the students inside would just group up at the sides of the hall, against the lockers.

She paid close attention to everyone against the lockers, one thing she'd noticed is that everyone in the school had a friend. Nobody was alone. This reminded her of Equestria, were, also, everypony had a friend. Everyone except her. But she knew she didn't need a friend. She would only get slowed down by paying them more attention rather than focusing on the more important things in life. She was no fortune teller, but she knew how she would get anywhere in life. Working to prove she's the best and make the others feel weak against her. She used to live in a world where she was on top of everyone, so why stop here in a different dimension? In order for her to get herself on top though, she has to somehow show everyone, and she means everyone, what Sunset Shimmer is capable of doing. But for now, she must first start off small and make her way up the chain.

Because Sunset was paying attention to those around her, she didn't pay any attention as to what was in front of her. She was facing front at the last possible second before her body collided with another's. They both fell to the floor, hurt.

The person who ran into her moaned in pain. "Oh geez! I am terribly sorry! I-I wasn't looking where I was going," they quickly said.

Once the pain in Sunset's head began to ease down, she looked at the person in front of her. It was a boy with purple skin, dark hair, glasses and was wearing a yellow and green turtleneck sweater with a large badge attached to it.

He held out a hand to help her up but Sunset glared at him and waved his hand away, refusing his help. She helped herself up and walked off as if nothing had happened.

Now as she walked down the halls, she heard the voices of the students surrounding her. They didn't talk about their morning or whatever they did yesterday but rather were talking about her.

"Who is she?"

"Is she new here?"

"I've never seen her around before."

Sunset kept hearing the students asking about her the rest of her way to the principal's office. She had only just arrived at the school and already people were talking about her. But no one was talking about her the way she would want them to. Then again, she knew she was a new face to everyone so that wasn't really anything she could do about it.

After walking down the heavily crowded school hallways, Sunset had finally made it to her destination. The door read, "Principle's Office". She took a deep breath and gave the door a knock. She waited a few seconds before she heard a voice coming from the other side.

"Come in," the voice said.

Sunset opened the door and made her way inside. She looked at the woman sitting behind a desk only a few feet away from her. It was at this moment that her entire world froze. Sunset was only able to stare at her with wide eyes and insect sized pupils and irises.

"Can I help you?" she asked, writing something down on a sheet of paper.

"I-I would l-like to umm... apply for t-this school, please?" Sunset said very hesitantly.

This woman stared at Sunset confusingly. She had put down the pen which she was writing with. "Are you here by yourself, no parent?" she asked.

Sunset remained staring at her. She gave her head a quick shake rather than actually talking to this woman. She had a rather pale pink look to her skin and a multicoloured hairstyle. Her hair consisted of four separate colours, them being: Blue, cyan, green and pink. She also wore a small badge on her blazer that looked exactly like her old teacher's cutie mark. This was the first time Sunset has ever met the human counterpart of someone she was very familiar with.

The principal gave a quick sigh. "Alright, we could still try to make this work. Please, have a seat," she gestured to the seat just across from her desk.

Sunset quickly sat down and the principal began with some questions. "Okay, first thing's first. What is your name?"

"Sunset Shimmer," Sunset answered.

"Where are you moving from?"

"Just some school from a foreign country." Sunset went with the first thing that came to her head.

The principal raised an eyebrow at her but continued with the questions.

~10 minutes later~

It seemed as though the question were finally ending. Sunset couldn't think of any other time were she had lied this much. It wasn't like she had a choice anyway. If she told the truth then obviously she'd have looked like an insane person.

"Okay, now all I need is your address and phone number then we'll be done here," she said with a small smile.

Sunset was hoping she wouldn't have been asked this. She had to think fast for an excuse and hopefully not blow her chances of getting into this school.

'Oh gosh! What do I say? What do I say?!'

"I... Uhh, we... haven't found... a place to stay...yet?" At this point, she would say literally anything and only hope it would work out.

The principal looked at her confusingly. "Wait, you don't have a household? Then were have you and your parents been living all of this time?"

Sunset was completely stumped now. Almost nothing she would say would work. She was trying so hard to search for an excuse a drop of sweat run down her face.

"That is personal..." which is what rushed out of Sunset's mouth. "We are living somewhere. We just prefer not to say where."

Now Sunset was trying to decide whether or not she had a brain. Even as a girl as intelligent as she is, she was doing a horrible job at putting her intelligence to good use.

The principal thought for moment. "Well make sure when you do find a house, you come to me with your address and phone number, okay?" she told Sunset.

'Did that actually just work?' Sunset thought. "Okay... I will," she promised.

The principal leaned over her desk and held her hand out for a handshake. Sunset returned the handshake with a nervous smile.

"Welcome to Canterlot High, Sunset Shimmer," she said.

Sunset internally sighed in pure relief. "Thank you, Miss...?" Sunset knew who she was but she just wanted to make sure.

The principal chuckled. "Celestia, Principal Celestia," she addressed herself, sitting back down.

"Thank you, 'Principal Celestia'," Susnet finished.

Sunset stood up and made her way towards the door. Before she made her way outside, Principal Celestia quickly announced with a smile, "Remember, be here for 9AM tomorrow."

Sunset returned with a fake smile. "Don't you worry."

As soon as she closed the door behind her and was out of earshot, she let out a loud moan of relief. She was extremely sure she would fail but apparently she was so lucky, she could speak with an alien language which had never been heard before and still be accepted into the school. She knew one thing and that was what had just happened most likely shouldn't have worked. But she decided to leave it and made her way back towards the exit. Sunset knew she didn't have to lay low this time so she walked with pride, confidence, and slight confusion, even when she made her way outside.

Once she was outside, she turned back towards the school. "Look out, CHS. Sunset Shimmer is coming."

She continued to walk down the road for work but she couldn't help but think she was forgetting something.

"Crud! I left my work clothes in the gymnasium!"

~Gymnasium~

One of CHS' coaches entered the gym's large storage room and had noticed a blue and white work uniform lying beside the large blue crash mat.

"What the heck-?" He was interrupted by the sound of scrambling feet coming his direction.

He looked back and Sunset heavily breathing after running her way back here.

"Umm... Can I have that back? It belongs to me," she said trying to hide her embarrassment.

The coach didn't say anything, he just handed Sunset her uniform back and stared at her as she walked away.

"Who was that?" he asked very confusingly.

Author's Note:

I ran into a LOT of roadblocks writing this. This is, by far, the hardest chapter I have wrote, (And probably my least favourite personally) if that wasn't clear with how this chapter came out.

And yes, I know I was going to call this chapter, "Starting Off Small..." I promise you, that'll be the next chapter. This chapter would have dragged on for too long if I went on so I had to change the title so it would make sense. Anyway, I hoped you enjoyed it, despite the problems I may have with it. :facehoof:

Also, chapters will start taking longer to release due to school. Because school is important...