• Published 19th Apr 2018
  • 556 Views, 13 Comments

Growing Sun - MorbidTheBrony



We all know Sunset Shimmer became the most powerful girl at CHS. But how exactly did she cope with the human world when she first arrived?

  • ...
3
 13
 556

Adapting

Though her rest wasn't the most comfortable, Sunset managed to find sleep. She could've slept longer the following morning but she was suddenly awoken by the loud sounds of what sounded like revving. Sunset peaked over her bush and saw a large crowd of the same creatures that she had turned into the previous night. They were all walking inside of the large building she tried to enter last night also.

Sunset analysed these things while trying to stay hidden. She noticed that they only walked on their hind legs and that no pegasi or unicorns walked among the crowd which she wasn't surprised to see.

"Um... hello? What are you doing behind a bush?" came a quiet voice behind Sunset.

Sunset immediately spun around to find the source of the voice. She saw a tall skinny girl with long pink hair and yellow skin.

"I... Uh, I'm..." Sunset looked for a good enough explanation to tell this stranger. She stood up. "I... Youdidn'tseeme!" Sunset tried to dash off as if she were never there but found her face towards the ground, yet again.

The yellow individual tried to hold back a giggle at Sunset’s little stunt. Sunset wasn't going to take being laughed at but decided to not get to hasty. Right now, she needed answers.

"Forget you ever saw that. Where am I and what am I?" she asked.

The tall girl looked at her in confusion but answered her anyway, "Well... You're in Canterlot City just outside Canterlot High School and you're a teenage girl... much like I am."

"Canterlot... High School?" she asked while staring at so called 'high school'. She looked back down at herself. "Teenage... girl?"

"Um... yes?" the tall girl said. "You're not from around here, are you?"

Sunset turned her attention back to the other girl, "You could say that. I'm Sunset Shimmer."

The other girl's eyes widened a little, "I'm... Fluttershy..." she whispered.

"What was that? Speak up a bit," Sunset wasn't going to waste time her waiting for someone to just say their name.

"Fluttersh-" she spoke a little louder but just as she was about to finish, a small white bunny jumped out of her bagpack. "Angel, what have I told you? Only come out of there when I tell you to."

Sunset was quite surprised to see that a bunny had just come out of this girl's bag. "You keep your pet inside your bag?" Sunset asked.

The girl giggled, "Not just one." She opened her bag and out came a squirrel, a cat, a mouse, even a skunk. "Oh, they get so lonely while I'm at school," she added.

"Wow. I've never met anyone who cares about animals so much before. If you ask me, I'd say that it's a bit much for everypon-... Uhh... for everyone around you," Sunset said, raising an eyebrow at her.

The yellow girl scooped her animals back in her bag, looked back at Sunset and said, "Well, they're all my friends and just thinking about them being so lonely honestly kills me. So-" She was cut off by Sunset.

"Wait. Your closest friends are your pets?" She couldn't help but chuckle at how stupid that sounds. "That's the loneliest thing I've ever heard!"

The yellow girl was taken back at those words. "That's not a very nice thing to say..." she said, slowly walking backwards.

"Listen, Fluttersh. Life isn't-"

"Fluttershy," she corrected Sunset.

"Don't interrupt me!" Sunset was slowly getting more and more annoyed. "As I was saying, life isn't all about being nice. I'd like to think of it more being like... aiming for first, y'know? Proving you're better than everyone else and not letting anyone stand in your way. You got that, 'Fluttershy'?"

"Umm..." Fluttershy was lost for words. "I... think so?"

Sunset stepped away from Fluttershy and brushed herself off. "Good. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a long day ahead." And with that, Sunset walked off knowing she'd eventually return to this school. Who knows, maybe she'll run into Fluttershy again and prove to her how pushing to be the best will eventually make her the best. But for now, she would have to get used to her new lifestyle.

First up: Walking on her new legs.

Sunset walked up and down almost every street that came by. She was improving very slowly but getting there. After a while, she wasn't just taking long strides just to maintain balance. Her footsteps were not very far apart at this point. Now she was almost walking like an actual... thing that inhabited this world. She'd find out what she was later.

As she was walking down the streets now, someone from across the road waved at her. She looked at her hands and tried to wave back while not looking like a complete idiot. She raised her arm and waved her hand back and forth but she immediately regretted that as her face kissed the ground once again. The guy from across the street crossed over to help her up. He took Sunset’s hand and lifted her back to her feet.

"Are you okay?" he asked her.

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm fine," Sunset said back to him while rubbing her forehead.

The guy scanned Sunset for a second and came out with, "I don't think I've seen you around before. You just move here?"

Sunset didn't know how to respond to that so without thinking, she said, "Uh... Yeah. I'm frommmmmmm... Ya know? Around...?" She mentally slapped herself.

"Uh... Okay? Well, glad to know you're okay," he replied. And with that, he walked off leaving Sunset red as a tomato.

"Well done, Sunset!" she said to herself. She felt as though she had never been so humiliated in her life.

She turned back to see what caused her to trip and this time it wasn't her fault. It was just because of a crack in the pavement.

She sighed once again. "At least it can only get better from here," she said as she started walking back down the street.

Next up: Using her hands.

"Alright, this shouldn't be so hard. Just gotta learn how to pick up stuff with these... flesh sticks," Sunset said, wiggling her fingers around.

All she did to learn was just picking up random stuff. How hard could that be? Sunset was surprised at how easy it was, though, she still missed her horn. Just levitating stuff in the air while almost not doing anything, that was the life.

Some of the stuff she picked up she ended up keeping. For example: She just found a small slip of paper that read '$20'. If Sunset were to guess, she'd think that this was this world's currency, so lucky her. She'll make sure she looks for a place to eat tonight.

Final one for the day: Learning the name of her species and limbs.

Sunset knew she couldn't just go up to someone and ask, "Hey, sir. What's the name of my species and body parts?" She would look like a complete idiot and she has already made a fool out of herself enough already.

She knew there was only one place to learn. The library!

It took her quite some time but she managed to find a public library. She scanned the shelves for books on biology. She couldn't find anything at first but finally, she stopped on a book called, "Human Biology". This was exactly what she was looking for because on the cover, there's a picture of a creature that looks just the same as her. Just by the cover she'd already learned something, she's a human.

She scanned the book page by page, word by word. Sunset wanted to make sure she learned everything she needed to know about her new body.

She spoke aloud, reviewing the book, "Okay, so the things I hold things with are called hands and these flesh sticks are called fingers. Instead of front legs, I now have Arms. I still have legs but my hooves are called... feet? My Celestia, this is confusing."

Unfortunately for her, she was speaking loud enough for everyone around her to hear her. Everyone stared down at Sunset but didn't dare to take her attention away from her book.

As she went further through her book, she began to learn about more personal stuff about her body. She knew most of this stuff already but continued to read on.

A light blush formed on her cheeks and her eyes began to widen. It only got worse as she went on. Sunset slammed the book shut, she didn't make it through the entire book but she felt like she learned enough already.

Sunset has never had a worse day than the one she just had. She could not believe that she now has to adapt to living in a world she felt so alien to.

She walked out of the library with everyone's eyes glued to her. Sunset still hadn't noticed these people and they all thought it was best she didn't know.

As she was walking back down the streets that lead back to the portal, Sunset's stomach made the loudest grumble she had ever heard. This was a sign that she was starving. She needed food and she needed it NOW.

She walked past these buildings that were full of people. Her eyes caught sight of this one particular restaurant. She read the sign out loud, "Coleson's Coleslaw? Not the greatest name but... Meh. Sounds quite good."

Sunset took out her $20 and walked towards the restaurant, ready to see what human food taste like.

Author's Note:

Second chapter within a day! Oh yeah! :yay:

I'll gladly accept constructive criticism and remember to point out any mistakes I've made.