• Published 13th Apr 2018
  • 2,717 Views, 104 Comments

Studying (with) You - PonyPlays2014



Sandbar decides to be Gallus tutor and help him understand Generosity. And he must hurry because the exams are almost due! But they soon discovers something else along the way.

  • ...
8
 104
 2,717

Path 1: The Answers are in your Head

Gallus, who slept as good as the last few days, wakes up fairly early in the morning, which is surely not something one would connect with him if knowing him better. Maybe it was the inner clock telling him to study the entire day or maybe it was because of his little break in his special somepony's bed yesterday.

Why am I awake so early? I wanna sleep more... but maybe it's not that bad to be up earlier... At least I can stand my flower an early drink.

Like every day, the first thing on his list is, just like he suggested himself, taking care of his pal in the pod. He quickly fetches some water from the empty restroom and gives it to the flower before thinking about what to do now. But it looks like his stomach is taking that burden off his shoulders as it growls loudly.

Breakfast doesn't sound so bad I guess. I could go for an apple or something quick but somehow I feel that I would run into those idiots again if I went and then my appetite would be spoiled so... no use in going. Maybe I have something to eat in my room. I remember stashing some stuff somewhere in here...

The male griffon begins to search around his room but instead of something to eat he stumbles across one of his books from school.He picks it up and opens it on a random page and takes a quick look at it.

Oh... right... The book Miss Rarity gave us with all the different ways of stitching and sewing. How can anyone even work with that! Those pictures are even more confusing than the steps! There is no way for someone to learn the... Embro...aid...ery Stitch? I can't even say that name! Urgh!

He slams the book shut and tosses it into one of the corners of his room, the one furthest away from his bed, before continuing his search for something consumable. Luckily for him, he manages to find an unopened bag of chips under his bed, which must have gotten there by accident, not long after his first, much more disappointing find.
Wow... Those must have been there for at least two months. I wonder if they still taste good..., Gallus thinks to himself as he investigates the bag in his claws for some sort of opening through which air could have gotten inside. He finds none so, feeling a bit relieved, he rips the top open and tries one of the spicy-flavored goods.

Oh yeah... That's the stuff...

A big smile appears on his face as his taste buds embrace the welcome sensation and sends his mind into a happy place. He puts the bag on the bed and lays next to it before taking the issue of 'Griffon Ranger' which he couldn't finish the last time he tried from the stack of comic books, which is still next to his bed. He quickly finishes the book and, after reading the last panel, he closes it and takes a look at the cover of the book.

Ohhhh! So that's how the story ends... How boring. That was so predictable that I actually did not expect it to happen because it was so predictable... Not worth my time.

Kinda disappointed by the book he drops it next to the pile and takes the next issue, which continues the story where the former one left off. He follows this procedure until he finished the last issue, which was the ninth book in a row.

The old ones were better..., the now kinda grumpy griffon criticizes the comic series as he stuffs his beak with more of the crispy food.

Great! Now I'm in a bad mood! I could have laid down again and sleep for the past two hours and miss nothing. And now I can't even sleep because I am too upset. I need something to cheer me u-

His inner monologue suddenly falls silence as something catches his attention. It's the box Sandbar gave him last night with all the things he created. He carefully grabs the crate and places it in his lap before taking off the cover and taking a closer look at all the things inside.

I forgot how many different things I tried with Sandy! There is my first failure and there is the one I did when he was asleep. And...

Gallus carefully takes out red piece of fabric, which he used to test different types of stitches on, and analyzes it.

Was that the Satin stitch or the back stitch? Oh, that was the Zigzag stitch! I remember it because it looked very strange when I saw him do it but doing it myself was pretty easy. And here are the ones we tried without the machine! The Cross-stitch, the Hemstitch and, the most difficult one, the Tent stitch. I remember how much I struggled with that one but Sandy really helped me with out. Oh! The Embroidery Stitch turned out better than I remembered. Looks really good he- Wait.

His mind wanders off into his memory and pulls something out of it which was not that long ago. Carefully he places the piece back in the crate and pushes the box from his lap, trying his best not to move the content too much. Afterwards, he rushes for the corner and picks up the book, which he tossed there. He quickly scans the pages on his search for that specific one and, after flicking about halfway through it, he finally finds it.

The Embroidery Stitch! I knew I saw it before! But... it's looks way more complicated than Sandy made it look like.

He flips the page and takes a look at a And there is the Cross-stitch! And the Hemstitch and all the other stitches.


The griffon flips the page and analyzes the following ones, recognizing some things from his meeting with his pony-friend. And, just like the first one, his explanations were easier to understand than the one the book provides. This realization makes him remember the jerk's words from the day before about Sandbar and his 'true intentions'.

Were they right? It does look like he taught me a lot during our time together...

He feels how doubt begins to corrupt his mind once more but he also remembers what he decided yesterday. Never will he doubt the one he truly loves again! Because he trusts him and he knows that his friend trusts him too.

So what! He was supposed to help me but that doesn't mean that he is a liar! I am sure he had his reasons for not telling me. Learning with him was way more fun than reading those stupid books and more efficient! And it's not like we only did that. We had so much fun together, even before all that sewing stuff, and we did so many different things. I will pass the test tomorrow, I will make him proud and then I will tell him everything! ... Okay, maybe not the last part but the other two! Those idiots can talk as much nonsense as they want because they won't get through to me! Not again.

He closes the book but this time he actually brings it along as he heads back to the bed. The rest of the day is consumed by remembering all the different situations he and Sandbar were in, comparing the stitches in the book with his own work and, from time to time, talking with his flower before he heads to bed with a heart full of joy and excitement and a head full of knowledge and happy thoughts.


The countdown finally comes to an end as the exams are due and every student joins their respective group, which was determined very early in the year. Each group works through the list of tests in a different order. Sandbar, Gallus and Yona are in the group which starts with Rartiy's exam. Then comes Twilight's Equestrian History test and Applejack's Honesty exam ends their first day, while Smolder, Silverstream and Ocellus' group take on Pinkie Pie's Equestrian Celebration test, followed by Fluttershy's exam on the Wildlife of Equestria and, last but not least for the first day, Rainbow Dash's 'Sport Festival', in which every student has to show their skill in eight different Individual Sports and three Team Sports and all of their ratings put together reveals the grade.

"Morning Yona", the griffon greets his yak friend as he arrives at their first destination, the lecture hall on the first floor of the school.

"Greetings Gallus!", she replies after noticing him coming towards her.

Most of the other students already gathered around even though there are a few more minutes left until the exam officially starts. Gallus takes a look around and is pretty surprised to see so many different reactions to the inevitable event. Some of the ponies are pretty relaxed while others look like they could faint but most of them look only a bit bothered by it. Gallus would count himself to the relaxed group since he is fairly sure he will pass the tests.

Look at them, all stressed out. I will pass for sure! The only problem I had was Miss Rarity but thanks to Sandy that risk is eliminated... Apropos: Where is he?

Gallus scans the group of ponies once more but the only ponies he can recognize are those jerks and those are surely not the ones he is looking for.

"Hey Yona? Have you seen Sandbar? Not being here is not like him at all", the blue male asks his friend, but only gains a head-shake in return.

A weird feeling begins to spread in his body as his mind begins to worry about his crush's absence but a voice cleanses his body immediately.

"Hey guys! I totally overslept", the formerly missing stallion shouts as he runs through the hallway and stops right next to his friends.

"Sandbar couldn't sleep good?", the female yak asks her friend, visibly showing how much she worries about him.

"Yeah... Had some trouble falling asleep but no biggie. Hey Gallus, can I talk to you? You don't mind, right Yona?"

Yona confirms it by nodding her head before leaving the two males some space by walking over to a group of ponies she met earlier this year in the library. Gallus watches their friend leave before turning his attention back to Sandbar, who seems pretty serious.


"Everything alright Sandy?", the feather-covered male asks but instead of answering he only notices that Sandbar's eyes are fixated on him and that they seem duller than usual.

Sandbar suddenly begins to walk away from the group and around a corner so that the others won't hear or see them and Gallus follows him quickly. They stop and the pony turns back around so he can face his friend before trying his best to explain.

"I need to tell you something before we go in there. The thing is... I don't even know how to say it... or even if I should say it now or later but I feel like you deserve to know it. I feel horrible about it but... I... It's... damn!"

Every new attempt causes his head to hang lower and lower as his eyes lose his target and refocus on the floor instead.

He's really fighting with himself... I can't stand seeing him like that and I think I know what it is anyway... He shouldn't feel bad about it...

Sandbar continues to stammer until his friend's voice interrupts him.

"Thanks for helping me", the griffon-male says with a smile on his face, "I would have failed for sure without you but now... I know I can do it!"

Hearing those words causes the pony's head to rise again and his worried expression to fade away into a faint smile. His eyes regain the spark as they capture the griffon's picture and the reassuring grin, which slowly melts every trace of shame, guilt and fear away.

"And whatever might bother you, just forget it. Let's pass these tests and, if you really want, we can talk afterwards. Okay Sandy?"

He places one of his talons on Sandbar's head and ruffles his mane after noticing his smile and, much to his delight, his friend agrees with his idea, which causes him to blush slightly.

"Thank... you...", the now also blushing pony answers with closed eyes and a bigger smile on his face as he feels the sensation in his hair.

"Daaaaaarlings! I am here!", a feminine voice echoes throughout the hallway, which causes Gallus to quickly pull his talon away and both of them to run back to the group.

Miss Rarity just made her big entrance and, with a quick sparkle of her horn, she unlocks the door to the hall and bids everyone to come inside and their seats. The group obliges by entering the lecture hall in a civilized manner and taking their assigned seats.

Sandbar passes his friend and whispers, "Good luck."

"Thanks to you... I don't need any luck, Sandy", the griffon answers back in a cocky manner but with a grin that speaks the truth.


"As you all know, I will be gone tomorrow evening because there is a huge fashion event in Canterlot and I really need to be there to attend it and to help my employees in my boutique deal with the increased amount of customers. Which is why I'm letting you write both exams at the same time with less questions for each exam. The same goes for the other group. Now, let us talk about the exam itself."

Miss Rarity explains the rules of the exam and gives a few little hints about how to answer the questions and where to write those answers before handing out the parchment scrolls with the questions on it.

"You get two hours to write down you name and your answers. It should be plenty of time so do not rush it and think about every question and everything you write down. I am sure you can all do it! Make me proud!"

Author's Note:

Hey guys :)
I am soo glad people like my story and are looking forward to the next Chapter.

So, here they are! One for each path.
Also: I wanna wish you all a Happy New Year and I promise my story will end in 2019^^ I hope you will be there to read it!
Love you all!