• Published 8th Apr 2018
  • 1,039 Views, 17 Comments

It’s a Mystery - Rose Quill



Pinkie gets a letter from a secret admirer...

  • ...
3
 17
 1,039

Himitsu Desu! (It's a Secret!)

I couldn’t find anything. It had been hours since I had gotten home from the party-sleepover and I had dived immediately into my files, searching for the perfume scent I had caught on the note. My hair had long since started to go limp and my eyes were a little gritty.

I slammed the file I had on Lemon Hearts shut and shoved it back into the drawer in my planning room. I had gone through every file I had twice and not a single reference to a sweet-floral scent, or even a floral-sweet scent. Though I had forgotten about Minuette’s fondness of vanilla’s smell and Photo Finish loving cherry jubilee.

“Is everything ok, Pinkie?” a soft voice asked. I looked up to see Marble at my doorway, her hair still damp from a shower and a fluffy grey robe tied tight around her. I remember getting her that robe for her birthday three years ago. While it was still in pretty good condition, it was getting a little small on her. We had both hit a late growth spurt and shot up a few inches each.

“I just couldn’t find something,” I told my baby sister. I couldn’t help that I was three minutes older, so I always gave her her own birthday party. “It’s just frustrating.”

She nodded, coming in to sit next to me. “Is it something I could help with?”

I shook my head. “It’s something to do with the school,” I said, fluffing up my hair. “I’m trying to find something in my files but I don’t appear to have it.”

“Mmhmm,” she murmured. “So what are you looking for?”

“I got a letter the other day from a secret admirer,” I told her, feeling the excitement build up again. “And I haven’t been able to find a single clue to who it is in any of my party files! I’ve gotten two notes so far, and they want to meet me tomorrow to have a picnic!”

“Have you thought, maybe,” Marble began hesitantly. “That maybe the information isn’t in your files? There are more schools than Canterlot High in town, and that’s not counting people that are homeschooled like me.”

Marble had been home-schooled by Limestone because of her really bad social awkwardness. A lot of people assumed we just talked over her, but she just didn’t like a lot of attention on her. Limey, Maud, and I frequently had to prompt her around strangers to the point that when my friends first met her they thought she was mute. Can you believe that?

“But I’m almost sure it was someone at the school,” I said. “How else could they have slipped the first one in my locker?”

“Pinkie, in case you haven’t noticed,” my twin told me. “It’s not exactly hard to get into your school. I was never stopped that day you forgot your math book.”

“But there must be a thousand lockers in the school,” I protested. “Finding my locker out of all of those?”

My sister shrugged, standing. “That isn’t hard either,” she said. “Just asking another student to slip it in is enough.”

I chewed on my bottom lip, thinking. It all made perfect sense, but still, something about it had been so familiar I was sure I had encountered it before.

And then I got to thinking, in the last couple of years I had come across a ton of people that I don’t see regularly. Maybe one of the Shadowbolts? Or Gloriosa Daisy?

“Pinkie!” Limestone shouted. “You got a letter.” My eldest sister poked her head in and held up a card.

I skipped over and took the card and started giggling when I saw the handwriting on it.

Marble laughed too. “I guess that makes three?”

“Yupperooni!” I said, opening the envelope. Inside was a simple card with a pair of short sentences on it.

Can’t wait for tomorrow, I’ll be wearing blue and carrying a basket. I hope three is ok with you?

Oh, if they only knew I had cleared my entire calendar for Sunday.