• Published 5th Apr 2018
  • 17,641 Views, 709 Comments

Wolves of Night and Blade: Book I - One of Nine



Once, I was your ever-day twenty-year old nerd. Now though, I fight demons and monsters in the land of Equestria. And on top that all of, I think Princess Luna has been ogling me.

  • ...
90
 709
 17,641

PreviousChapters Next
51. To Kill a god

“CHRYSALIS! WE’VE COME FOR HAVEN AND YOUR HEAD!!” I shouted in fury, tearing the wall I’d just punched into shreds, Luna following after me as I stepped through. The Queen herself, now looking like a wannabe Arachne, sat atop her throne, a large and slightly scorched pod hung above her.

“Well, well. We finally meet. But, unlike the pony princesses, you are in the presence of true royalty.” She chuckled darkly, as with a flick of her hand we were suddenly snagged in thousands of silk webs, each strand as stronger than steal. The webbing forcing us to bend knee as I snarled in surprise, we each glared as around twenty Changelings surrounded us, wicked spears pointed at our throats. “Bow.”

Excuse me?” I leaned forward with my anger boiling, questioning with a tone so cold that three of the Queen’s guards dropped their spears, my eyes narrowing as I stepped forward against my tight bindings. “One… Fricking… Warg… has been kicking your race’s collective butts for almost an entire year. You had a rouge cult chain and cage the majority of that same tribe. They’ve been hunting any and all hives that have shown allegiance to you, gaining more power by the day. They kill Queens for fun and turn their horns into weapons. They commit genocide on your subrace for the satisfaction of hearing their skulls crack beneath their feet, to let you could pick up the pieces. The last hive that still stood was cleaned out and the Queen was left impaled on her throne. The only reason I didn’t bring them here is because they’ve casually begun wielding their powers to clap flank in new ways. All I have to do to end you… is tell them you have a fancy new gun, or that I… can make you into one. So, think about that… before you tell us… to bow… to your sorry ass…”

Chrysalis began shaking in both terror and fury as her brood stared at me with equal horror, her eye twitching with her teeth clenched. “K-Kill them…”

But her brood stood no chance as we burned the webs and her minions. My smile widened as I called upon my Chroma, eyes aflame, turning to Luna. “Mind keeping her busy?”

But before Luna could answer, Chrysalis snarled and teleported past her, rearing up. The Queen then brought her elongated claws towards my neck, but I dodged using Spell Speed, the green flames engulfing my feet as I rolled.

“Impressive trick.” Chrysalis cackled, blocking Luna’s swing with her green magic. “But it won’t save—"

“CONTROLED NUKE!” I shouted from my crouch, summoning a ring of golden blaze around the Queen, a small drop of red fire drifting slowly down towards her. Luna managed to pull back her blade just in time.

“Pfft! Is this supposed to scare—”

*KABOOM!!*

There was enough power to decimate a small country in that blast, causing the cavern to shake and shutter under the weight. We watched in anticipation as the smoke cleared. What greeted us was a screeching Chrysalis with burns and chunks of her exoskeleton missing, yet slowly healing thanks to her magic.

“I-It’ll take more… m-more than that t-to beat me!” She roared, her nails slicing through the Ward I’d put up and charging us on seven legs, the one falling off and twitching. “I’ll kill you before you—”

Luna ended her tirade with a spin and a cut upward, severing the Queen’s arm and shutting her up. The Wargess then dived down as Chrysalis tried to claw her face off, dropping into the splits and dividing the Changeling’s torso from her thorax. “Micah! Get Haven!”

I nodded and turned, only to stop as the cocoon was enveloped in green fire and vanished. My head went on a swivel, scanning the room for where the pod went, only to freeze again at a horrifying sight. Chrysalis’ thorax looked bigger, fuller. And her torso was being pulled up and back onto that same thorax by puke yellow tentacles, the Queen’s body reconnecting as she cackled. “Now try and get her~”

Both Wargs roared, the sound alone making rocks and gravel loosen from the ceiling. The floor of the cavern cracked and shuttered as lava poured through the shimmering spiderweb. I could already feel my feet becoming bathed in the warm, thick liquid as the Queen lunged, struggling to keep Chrysalis’ sharp limbs away from my head and chest. The Queen of Swiss Legs screeched in agony as the lava rose, coming to meet her own legs. The Changeling broke off her attack, sling-shotting herself across the room and onto the wall, watching me and tending to her burns.

“What’s the matter, Swiss Legs? Can’t take the heat?” I sneered, flexing my claws, the lava continuing to rise. I wanted nothing more than to tear her apart and dig Haven out.

Chrysalis only smiled before she began leaping around the room, along the walls and ceiling. Luna spun around and hurled her spear, almost nailing the Queen in the head. “Really? From what I’ve heard, I should be nothing to you, little princess~”

I burned the remaining webs off me, stomped up to the edge of the pool, and turned to several new drones, listening as Luna began an anime battle with her highness. My fists began shaking, my rage barely keeping in check as I allowed them an out. “Go.”

“FOR THE QUEEN!!” They shouted, charging with weapons raised.

Intending to backhand the closest guard, I slapped him across the face with no remorse. What resulted made my jaw hit the floor. In seconds, the first was turned to embers, a wave of fire exploding outward from his remaining corpse and sending the others to meet the same fate. In the end, all that remained was ash.

I then shook my head and whirled around to join Luna in her fight against Chrysalis and get Haven home.

From the corner of my eye, I could see a portion of the lava was glowing, no small amount of magic pouring through from below the world. My gaze turned back as Chrysalis began spitting curses and vows of vengeance against Luna, to which I ignored. I then decided that I was due for an upgrade as my jaw clenched, my mind set. Stepping backwards, I felt the magic start to pour into me, begging to be absorbed and put to use. One more step and I my foot landed on nothing, causing me to plummet into the lava. I floundered for a minute before feeling my body soaking up the residual magic, my form suddenly glowing with the gathered power. I felt a shift in my mana pool as I looked down at my right arm, the gauntlet cracking and the gem shattering. Within seconds, the gauntlet was reduced to dust and burned, its power slipping in with the lava’s natural energies. My veins felt like they were going to burst, every atom in my body burning with the gathered power. I myself struggled not to breath in the lava and waited until the pain subsided, feeling the power I’d just gathered settle within.

Though muffled, I could hear Chrysalis taunting Luna, both in a heated argument as my mate tried desperately to reach the Queen’s thorax. Kicking my strengthened legs, I propelled toward the song of Luna’s voice, even if she was screaming like a wild beast. With a burst of power, I sped toward the Changeling Queen and broke the surface, a lightning storm shattering the cavern behind me.

With an explosion of lightening, I landed on all fours as a shockwave smashed the surface of the floor. “Mind if I join the catfight?”

“M-Micha?” Luna stared as she held back the Queen with two pairs of floating swords, keeping her locked in combat. “You went for a swim? Are you going to stop playing around and save Haven?!”

“And it was very refreshing… in the sense that my muscles hurt…” I let a small amount of humor pour through, my claws lengthening with every flex.

“I’ll give your boo-boo a kiss later!”

“Thanks, but—" My quip was stopped by a blast of magic to the face. I couldn’t be sure, but it felt like nearly six tons were being shoved onto my head, sending me flying through the opposite wall.

“Micah!”

I opened my eyes as the dust rose, coughing and shifting under the rumble. To my surprise, I didn’t feel any pain. Outwardly pain at least, my muscles still ached from the onslaught of magic that was poured into me. But now that I took a moment, the largest amount of Chroma felt… distant, almost. As if it were stored hundreds of miles away, but I could still call on it. Laying still, I focused on that power, blocking the world out. It was coming, almost like a snail’s pace, yet it only took seconds.

“MICAH!!”

My veins came on the verge of bursting again as the magic returned, and with that burst of power, I surged up onto my feet, the weight of the large stones like foam. My fur hardened, flames spanning up my arms from my fingertips, coming around my back and over my head. However, the flames were split from my nose, down my spine, and tail. With lightning in my hands and eyes, I surged forward at speeds previously unreachable, ramming Chrysalis into the nearest wall and keeping her there as I choked her.

But the Changeling wasn’t done yet. A flurry of green fire engulfed the Queen, her body shifting and bending beneath my grasp.

“Micah, get ready!” Luna called as I looked her way for a single moment. Her hands pressed together, the Wargess focused her Chroma. “Null Wave!”

With those words, a surge of blue fire erupted from her, spreading throughout the cave and cancelling Chrysalis’ spell. The Queen panicked, struggling further in my grip, bashing her weak fists on my arms, only to wince once contact was made. Odd, I usually had to harden my fur before any shape of armor could take form, but I didn’t even feel her strike. Furthermore, that one hit seemed to hurt her; a creature with a near unbreakable exoskeleton. Did… did my armor ability fuse with my natural fur?! Well Luna, you can say goodbye to my soft fur in the mornings, you’ll be sleeping next to a porcupine forevermore. I blinked away my thoughts as Chrysalis delivered a futile strike to my cheek, the impact like that of a feather.

“Chrysalis.” With my other hand, I grasped her fists with my Chroma, my flaming eyes narrowing. “Give me back my daughter… or I’ll dig her out of your corpse.”

Her panic mounting, the Queen lit her horn, only for her eyes to shrink as her spell fizzled out thanks to Luna’s Null Wave. “Y-You can’t… s-she’s already d-dead! I-It doesn’t t-take long f-for—”

“Then we’ll burry her bones after we eat yours.” Luna stated in a cold but hurt, broken voice, stepping next to me. “Give her back.”

I then let the aura within me erupt, the explosion of power so massive that it rocked the tunnels. Luna was so stunned that she took several steps back, her face bound to never recover. Swiss Legs however just stood frozen in awe and terror. My eyes and maw ablaze, lightening flickering around my arms as I hovered over the ground, bringing the Queen directly in front of my scowling face.

“Give. Her. Back. Or die.”

“You first.”

“…some of that pony DNA must be showing through, because that was pretty dumb.” I deadpanned, squeezing harder as the Queen’s face turned blue.

“I-If…” My brow furrowed as my ears perked, a trace of a smile on her bleeding face. “I-If… only you c-could…g-get her back…”

That smile only blossomed with the enormous surge of power welling up inside the downed Queen, the cracks in her chitin glowing and any injuries sealing. Said power pushed its way between my fingers and her throat, forcing me to release Chrysalis. The Queen dropped to the floor and avoided Luna’s attack, spiriting herself away in a burst of magic, reappearing on the far end of the cavern. Her body started to bulge and bend in unnatural ways, a tornado of green fire erupting around her as the Queen cackled. The flame soon expanded to encompass half the room, dissipating to reveal a giant hybrid spider monster. An underbelly of clear green flesh was exposed to the world, opposite to the rock-hard carapace that covered the creature’s back, face, and eight legs. Ridged and sharp, the legs twitched and impaled the cave floor as the beast turned, its ten green eyes locking onto the two of us.

Four mandibles clicked and hissed as Luna got into a fighting stance. I, however, felt a chill go up my spine and freeze me. I wasn’t afraid of spiders by any means, I actually thought they were a cool creature, but it was the grotesque visage that this alternate form that really struck me. So far, we’d only dealt with meager enemies, and while Chrysalis didn’t overstep us in power, her new look was something expectant in a horror movie. Blinking hard, I shook my head and stood my ground, my fear swallowed.

“Fine then, since you won’t give her back, I’ll get her myself.” Luna looked at me as if I’d lost my head, to which I winked. “I’m an idiot for even thinking of this…”

I then propelled myself forward, forcibly ignoring Luna’s cries, and leapt at the monstrosity, the Queen’s jaws opening and allowing me a view of the pulsing and slimy abyss. Chrysalis gulped as soon as I landed, sending me down the tunnel, my brain struggling to focus on getting Haven out. Thanks to the transparent underbelly, I was able to see upon entering… ugh, the gut. My eyes locked onto a small prone form in the far corner, my limbs battling to keep myself upright in the slippery environment. But I froze at seeing the state she was in. Fur and flesh burned away, bone showing on her left arm and leg, and a hole where an eye had once been. Furry and overwhelming sadness swirled and raged inside me as I cradled her bleeding form, her chest rising slightly as a whistle of breath escaped her. My teeth ground on themselves, eyes sparking to life as the acids below began to boil. Cries of pain and agony bubbled around us as Chrysalis’ insides fried.

“D-Dad?” The weak voice of Haven momentarily broke me from my rage.

I felt my gut twist and clench as her one good eye leveled with mine. “Hey.”

“Hi. Are you and mom here to save me?”

“Yep.” My voice cracked. “But first, let’s get out of here.”

Wrapping the injured pup in a Ward, I began superheating my body again, waves of heat billowing off me and cooking the flesh around us. The place began shaking and trembling as the fleshy floor burned, soon giving way to fresh air and the ground fifteen feet below. We fell and I rolled to break our fall, still cradling Haven.

I checked her pulse. She still breathed, good.

I was briefly aware of Chrysalis stumbling over and away from us, a battle cry from Luna and the great behemoth was down for a minute. My mate rushed over, taking Haven in her arms and on the verge of tears, staring in august horror. I watched as her teeth clenched, hands pulling the pup into an embrace. The rage in my heart returned at full force, the ground under my feet boiling as I hugged both my girls. We stayed like this for a fleeting few seconds, tears washing blood away, only for horse laughter to ring out from where Chrysalis had collapsed.

“Aw, what a tender display, it sickens me.” Crooned the Changeling as our eyes met, the hole in her stomach already healing. “Once I find a way around that pesky fire of yours, you’ll all me a happy family in my tummy.”

Luna’s hand shot to my chin, pulling my head around to look her dead in the eye, the tears still flowing. “I-I’ll get h-her to Roret.” Her gaze flickered over toward the Queen, then back to me. “Make it hurt.”

My own gaze hardened, Balder joining my vow. “You’ll hear the screams all the way in Canterlot.”

With a nod, the Wargess was gone in a shower of sparks, Haven in tow. I turned to face my enemy, my mind racing with different ways to kill her. Fire seemed to have a great effect on her. But she seemed to heal fairly quickly, maybe I should just burn her to ash? Leave nothing behind to heal? But I wanted it to be slow, not quick. I wanted her to suffer for hurting my daughter… and everyone else… too. But mostly Haven.

Finally, I decided to do just that until she stopped breathing. Reaching deep into my limitless magic reserves, my body exploded in a raging inferno of red fire and lightening, pebbles and boulders alike floating in the stale cave air, everything around me melting. “Queen Chrysalis, you will die now.”

“Oh re—” Not giving her chance to slide her snark into the DMs, I burst forward with speed that even surprised me.

I didn’t even bother grabbing her, just bullet jumping through her head, a smoldering hole in my wake as I clung to the cave wall behind her. Said hole instantly began closing, to which I leapt back and bashed her armored plates with my shoulder, sending her tumbling toward the boiling cauldron I’d previously bathed in. Landing on all fours, I felt Balder focusing our magic into a new area. Our horns. I felt the power rushing through them all the way up to their tips, a ball of fire growing between them as the Queen lurched onto her many legs.

“Ugh, wha—” The flaming bolt was let loose and the air around me cracked, the wall behind me becoming decimated by the projectile’s force. The bullet rushed forward at supersonic speeds, probably close to Mach 4, and obliterated the Queen’s left half. “ACHK!!”

Chrysalis flopped onto her side while I walked up to her, grabbing a leg and dragging her further towards the pit of lava. Again, to my surprise, the task was much easier than I previously would’ve assumed, given her current size.

“W-What are you DOING?! STOP!!” The Queen bellowed, struggling to stop herself from weeping, remaining legs flailing.

“You will not hurt my family again.” I snarled back at her, baring my teeth with eyes and maw alight, fur glistening like grey steal in the dim light. “Anyone who does so will meet a similar fate to you.”

“N-No I won’t!” Chrysalis snarled as she barely managed to teleport away, but before she could make any further move, a massive claw tore the cavern ceiling apart and pinned the Changeling under a pinky claw.

“Did I miss anything Master?” Oktorr’s voice boomed from above, her large golden eye coming into view from the gap she’d stuck her forearm through.

“A little. We just got our daughter back and then I have this bug that needs squashing.”

“Would you like me to handle the task?”

“Hm… no. She hurt my kid, and I want to feel her bones melt.” I smirked, my hands itching to crush the monster that dared to even think of eating Haven. “Besides, I want to test my limits with this new boost in power.”

“Oh, I was wandering why I felt all that magic coming from you. Things are never boring with you Master.” The great dragoness beamed, lifting her claw from the gasping Queen within the crater.

“W-Wait, please!” Chrysalis begged as I walked up to her, my magic tearing off her remaining four limbs. The Changeling screamed, the sound making me smile. “S-STOP!! I-I’LL DO ANYTHING YOU WANT!!”

“Then die, that’s what I want from you.” I quipped, grabbing her by the face and hurling her toward the pit once again.

She landed with a harsh crack, sending her into another shrieking frenzy. I just tried to ignore her and grasped her thorax, tossing her into the lava and jumping in after her. Queen Swiss-Legs seemed to struggle in keeping herself from screaming anymore, her limbs slowly regenerating, glaring at me in the eye.

“T-This…” The Queen hissed. “This won’t change anything. I’m only one of many. There’s always a bigger fish.”

My mouth opened, only to emit nothing. I was about to say that I would beat them too, but… what would be their goals? Chrysalis’ was obviously power, both political and physical. But what if the next guy’s goal was to save someone, only with darker means? And what if I faced a gang of thugs? Would I destroy or spare them? Give them a chance to change?

But with Chrysalis? I couldn’t see her changing in the end. She would no doubt stab me in the back when given the chance, especially if I were to trust her so naively.

After the internal debate, I looked back to the Changeling’s smoldering face, her chitin boiling. I scowled as I remembered Haven’s situation, finding Chrysalis’ death to be a bit too slow. “Let’s just finish this.”

With that, I began charging my horns again. The Changeling recognized the attack, struggling and biting the air in an attempt to break free, but to no avail. Seconds later, the beam was at maximum power and Balder fired it.

“NO, WA—"

The result was an array of explosions, melting Changeling, and a crumbling cave floor. The ground below my feet gave way as the hole that the bolt had made expanded, opening up to an even bigger cavern flowing with an ocean of lava. I flailed, yelled for my Familiar, and was stopped from taking a plunge by a massive white claw.

The great dragon lifted me out of the caves and up to her level, her enormous golden eye fixed on me. “Shall we go now, Master? I’m sure your mate and young one worry for you.”

I gulped what spit I had in my jaws, my ears wilting. “Yeah… let’s go.”

My mind what too deep in remembering Haven’s horrible state to feel the dragon’s wing beats, like a hurricane that lifted us from the ground. I also failed to see that the Forge had spawned of its own accord down in the ruined cavern, its wide flares grasping the remaining Changeling legs and stowing the severed limbs within itself. With its task done, the miniature sun flickered out of existence, retreating back into its Master.

-=Luna’s POV=-

Once again, I paced furiously outside the infirmary’s doors, awaiting the condition of one family member. But it wasn’t Micah who I waited for, it was my beloved daughter, Haven. The child from a cruel family, gifted to my mate and I to protect and provide for.

But had we failed as parents? We failed to protect her! We, as the loving parents we’d sworn to be, failed to keep her safe and alive! We—

I felt a pair of hands gently grasp my shoulders, but I imediantly shrugged my intended comforter off, snarling in their face. But I stopped at seeing it was Akiira, my true sister. Unending grief had claimed her eyes, same as mine, I guessed. The pained look she gave me matched my own, tears welling up in both our eyes as we embraced one another. I was beyond scared for Haven, and Micah.

“It’s ok, Luna.” Akiira soothed, holding me tight. “Everything will be ok.”

I was worried that such a thing wouldn’t be the case, not with Haven at least.

“LOOK!” Shouted a nurse, the yellow mare pointing out the window to an exceedingly large dragon soaring among the dark clouds, its scales white as snow.

But I sensed something as well, or rather, someone. I squinted my eyes to see a small shape, small in comparison to the dragon, standing between its horns. Drying my tears as a flash of joy stroked my hearts, I realized who it was. Bloodied and bruised, but very alive and riding on the back of such an enormous drake, was Micah.

Well, he always did like making an entrance.

The castle trembled as the dragon landed, bowing its head to the nearest window and allowing my Love to drop through. “How’s Haven?”

The Warg looked worried sick, his eyes slightly red from crying as I hugged him.

“I don’t know.” But just as the words left my lips, the door open and Roret stepped out, a solemn look in her gaze. “N… R-Roret? H-How is she?”

My sister couldn’t meet our horrified gazes, bowing her head as a fresh wave of tears overtook her. “I’ll give you some time to speak with her. T-The dam-damage was too extensive… S-She doesn’t… doesn’t have long.”

If all four hearts could plummet through the earth, they would’ve. Micah held me close, both of us slowly moving toward the door. Once we entered, we saw Haven lying in a bed, hooked up to a heart monitor. The machine did its signature beeping, but a slow, eight-digit beep.

“Hi Mom n’ Dad…” Our daughter wheezed, the sound of her weak voice making my hearts throb. “Did you beat the monster?”

“Y-Yep, it can’t hurt you anymore.” Micah croaked, coming to her side as I went to the other, both of us giving her a gentle hug.

“Hey…” Haven croaked. “… c-could you tell me a bedtime story?”

A sob left my throat, leaving me to try and dry the river I was making. “S-sure. What… do you want it about?”

“About Jesus? I know I’ll meet Him soon, but I… wanna know what He looks like, so I can find Him after I go…”

That both broke and warmed our hearts, but we managed to give her a proper story before she fell asleep. Her breath leaving her smiling face, both Wargs collapsed into fits of tears.

Author's Note:

Hey everyone, hope you all enjoyed and had lots of tissues, it was a wild ride. Leave me your thoughts down below, you all are a great audience!

PreviousChapters Next