• Published 5th Apr 2018
  • 17,502 Views, 708 Comments

Wolves of Night and Blade: Book I - One of Nine



Once, I was your ever-day twenty-year old nerd. Now though, I fight demons and monsters in the land of Equestria. And on top that all of, I think Princess Luna has been ogling me.

  • ...
90
 708
 17,502

PreviousChapters Next
52.Life is Full of Meetings and Partings

Author's Note:

Merry Christmas everyone, hope the holidays are treating you well! I slowed sending this one out because I wanted it to be a present for all ya’ll. Just a warning, this one is a little bit of a tear jerker, so grab the tissues if need be. If you like this installment, let me know in the comments. Praise or criticism, I’ll take either.

My eyes fluttered open as Luna’s arm draped over me, my sleepy mind already wandering. Haven’s funeral was to be today, and I had no idea what the customs of Wargs were in relation to burials. And who would even attend? Haven was more like me than anyone else really, an introvert, someone with almost zero friends. In retrospect, it would probably only be Damian, Greg, Maggie, Danny, and Luna’s sisters attending. I couldn’t really see anyone else bothering to come.

“Mm? Micah?” Luna’s voice interrupted my thoughts, resting her head on my chest. “I don’t suppose you’re ready to say goodbye?”

“No. I never was.” I sighed, wrapping an arm over her, her body barely holding back her quiet sobs. “I expected her to grow and leave us for a mate of her own. I half imagined that she’d find someone worthy of her and she’d settle down with that one… provided I didn’t chase him off beforehand, that is.”

A small laugh broke through her tears. “And I would chase after you, yelling for you to leave them alone. I imagine you’d be hiding in a tree, spying on them, then I’d pop up behind you, make you scream like a child and drag you back home.”

I shared in her giggling, kissing between her ears. “Yeah, I would’ve preferred that… minus you dragging me away and making me sleep on the couch.”

“Pfft, as if! Not for that! I’d expect you to behave that way around a suiter for her.”

“Yeah. Me sitting in a tree with sniper-rifle aimed at the guy who dared to even consider my daughter worthy of his affections!” I brandished my claws and boasted with gusto. “And if he ever disrespected her, I’d send him home to his parents in a shoebox!”

“Oh!” My mate bopped me on the nose, rolling herself atop me. “If it ever came to that, then yes, you’d sleep on the couch… outside.”

“HRK! My hearts! Why an attack so brutal and swift, my Queen?! Woe is me!”

We shared in another laughing fit, my hand soon reaching up and swiping a few loose strands of hair from her face. “I love you.”

“I respect you. And regardless if she isn’t here right now, we’ll see Haven again.” Luna consoled, returning my earlier kiss.

My smile died slightly, but I couldn’t help but feel a little uplifted at her reassurance. “I know, but… am I still allowed to miss her?”

“I would think so, my Alpha.” Her head dropped over my chest, resting her neck.

“Your Alpha? Is that my new nickname for you?”

“Mmhm. You call me Queen, so I shall call you ‘my Alpha.’”

“I like it.”

“I knew you would~”

“U-um…” Came a nervous voice from outside the tent. Crud, I’d forgot that the walls were thin, and we didn’t put up a silencing ward! “S-sorry to interrupt, but we have visitors to see you, Alpha.”

I blinked, wondering why we would have visitors at all.

“Let’s go greet our guests, then.” Luna sighed, rolling off me and stretching, her large wings expanding and fluffing themselves. She took a moment to observe them. “You think you could help me preen my wings tonight? I usually do it with a spell or Akiira helps me, but would you like to?”

“Er… is it considered intimate? Preening another’s wings?” I asked as I stood, gathering my clothes for the day with my heightened magic.

“By pony standards, yes. But with Wargs, I’m not sure.”

“Hm, well, anyway… let’s go greet our guests.” I stepped out of the tent, pulling a grey leather jacket over my shoulders to keep the cold out, eyes squinting against the reflecting snow.

“Where are they?” I asked the guard, the guy nodding to the west as I spotted a rather large group of Wargs approaching.

The assembled Wargs ranged from color to size and shape, but two particular Wargs stood out to me. Spotting Luna’s parents at the head of the crowd, I burst forward in an eruption of flame, stopping around five feet away.

I bowed softly to the two Alphas, recalling the greeting they’d taught. “Greetings Karipuur and Jurdehn, Alphas Male and Female. What brings you here?”

The female Alpha seemed to struggle in holding her amusement at bay, the Wargess trying to muffle her snickers.

“What?”

Jurdehn giggled behind a hand. “Luna wasn’t kidding when she said you liked your dramatic entrances. I’m sorry, I just find it adorable.”

I did my best to hind my embarrassment, smirking. “And there goes my trade secret…”

“I’m sure Luna will feel your wrath tonight.”

“Mhm.”

“But to answer your question, we’ve all come to attend your daughter’s funeral.” Karipuur spoke up, dropping a bomb on our little chat… and an anvil on my chest. “And after that… if you would be willing, we could have the Mating Banquet.”

“Eh…” I was honestly stunned, surprised that he would even be willing to offer up the daughter he’d just gotten back. I knew that he and Luna would call and message each other every so often, spending time together, but… I still felt bad, taking her away. “And you wouldn’t mind holding these two events together, on the same day?”

“No, but my question is, do you?” When I gave no answer, the words still in my throat, the Warg stepped forward and placed a hand on my shoulder. “Think of her passing as not a sad event, but a joyous one. She is with the True Alpha, Herre, not among the beasts and monsters of this world. She sings with the Heavenly Hosts and dances along the golden roads. She will not be forgotten here, and she will be there awaiting us when all is said and done. So, do not dedicate this day for grief, but joy, my young Alpha.”

I fought back tears, my eyes turning red as a tried to silence my sniffles. But the Alpha didn’t see it as weakness, only wrapping his thick arms around me and letting me cry into his tunic. It was at this moment that I knew he was a good leader, and that if need be, I would follow this Warg into battle. An Alpha who can put aside traditional order and be there for his pack. With that one moment, I knew that this was the leader I wanted to be like.

Head down as I pulled away, my ears fell flat, and tail tucked. “T-Thank you for that, Alpha.”

“It is my job to look after the well-being of my family, is it not?” He then leaned down next to my ear, whispering. “And we can discuss your role in the world at a later time, for now, just enjoy life.”

“Yes sir.”

“And about the wedding?”

“Yes.” A very familiar and excited voice sounded behind me, making me almost yelp at Luna’s sudden appearance. “I think the celebration… would be good on this day, so that we do not always have to be primarily reminded of Haven’s passing. We will still remember her, but I would also like to have happy memories with this day.”

“Uh… do I get a say in this?” I mumbled, raising a brow at my mate.

“No.” I wilted slightly before she pecked me on the cheek. “We may have lost one member, but we shall learn the names of even more family today.”

“You know it takes me a bit to learn peoples’ names…”

“Yes, but this is my family, so learn them quick my Alpha.”

“Hm, ok. I’ll give it my best.”

“Yes, you will.” One final kiss and she greeted her parents, the two Royals turning to usher the gathered Wargs together.

“Allow us to introduce…” The Alpha gestured to his daughter as I stood off to the side. “Our returning daughter, Princess Luna of House Skal!”

The crowd erupted into thunderous cheer, grabbing the attention of the remaining Nahar. With a flourished turn, my new father-in-law stretched out a hand.

“And to her new mate, I extend that greeting! Welcome, Warg of the Nahar. And as your new father, I gift you with a new name as you step into our pack. We shall call you, Havaak, the Alpha of Desolation!” Feeling underdressed in my jeans and grey fleece jacket, I tentatively stepped up alongside Luna, her father gently clamping a hand on our shoulders. “Show us your gathered power, my son. Show your new family that you are prepared for the path ahead.”

Hesitating for only a moment, my fingers outstretched as I slowly gathered all my power to bare. I didn’t leave a single drop unused, the ground beneath my feet cracking. Opening my eyes, they flashed ablaze, red fire and lightening radiating off in droves. Another influx of my power, the crater grew to around six miles in diameter, some of the village huts tipping over. I heard everyone around me gasp and a few shocked screams reached my ears, but I stayed focused as the sky grew dark and lightening flashed about a vortex. All had stepped away but Luna and her parents, all watching as my power grew even still. The earth around the crater suddenly cracked, forming a large floating boulder that hovered almost ten feet off the ground. I felt my shadow grow darker than the clouds as another darkness passed out of it, expanding behind us until it reached the titanic size of my Familiar, Oktorr. The great dragoness then took form over us, releasing a roar that shook the foundations of the world and the stars out of the sky, her grand wingspan casting all before her in her shadow. My mate’s parents were finally shook from their stoic masks, their frames shaking under the might of the dragoness. My wellspring of power dug even deeper and higher, as I felt my magic grasp onto something overly huge and nudge it. It felt like a ball of heavy dust, its surface marred by the occasional dent, but I soon left it alone. Red flame engulfed my body as the Forge manifested, my mate and her parents stepping back from the combined heat, but with a wave of my hand they were cast in a protective golden flame. My fur hardened and turned ashen black, streams of lava flowing down from my eyes like a network of veins across my body.

With a flourished wave of my arms to the sides, the dusk behind us cleared to reveal a fifty-foot-tall sword, its essence writhed in blue flame. “Sword of the Holy Hosts.”

Another flash of power and the massive sword divided, splintering off into millions of smaller blades, scattering into a wall. Oktorr seemed to notice my move. “WHAT THE-?!”

“Sermon of Swords.” I smirked as the armada of blades Blinked out of existence in a wall of fireworks, their essence pulled back into my wellspring of magic. Let’s see… I already did Rage, Ward, Blade, Portal with Blink… Spell? But Spell’s only used for healing, buffs, and… ultimate attacks…

Eh, I think I showed off enough…

Solar flares lashed out from the Eternal Forge, bringing my attention back to the present. Then a soft voice came from within, light and dark, heavy and thin. “From the limbs of thy enemy, these are forged in your success, O Master. Nuugankidok, by no hand made, a blue light shining within their blades.”

In awe and shock, I watched as two black, chitinous handles rose from the flaming surface. Reaching out as my power receded back into me, the sky clearing and the boulder slowly slipping back to earth, I grasped the handles and pulled. True to the Forge’s word, a clear blue glow shimmered within the blades, shrouded by the murky chitin. My finger brushed against a small trigger at the hilt’s base. I pressed it in, and the blade fully unhooked from the grip, remaining connected by a seemingly endless chain. My eyes only widened until they felt ready to pop out of the skull.

But I blinked as someone trudged up to me, opposite of the Forge, his golden and amber eyes glaring. In the flame’s light stood a teenage Warg of tainted white, as if dipped in ink, a rich red at the tips of his ears, elbows, tail, and wings. He wore a green sweater with rolled up sleeves and a pair of baggy tan trousers.

His glare had penetrated my shocked state, his firsts tightening. “So, not only do you come along and steal our lost sister, but you hog the Sacred Forge?!”

“Is it an artifact of your family?” I genuinely asked as I forced the subject of our conversation to vanish. “If so—”

“It’s not yours to have!” He spat, the glob of saliva evaporating on my foot. “You may be an Alpha, but that doesn’t mean—”

“Guuh! Enough!” Snapped Karipuur, my father-in-law stepping up beside me, placing a hand on my shoulder. “He may not know our ways, but do not exclude him from the pack because he didn’t grow under the same den as you. Would you exclude Luna too? Your elder litter-mate?”

“N-no.” Guuh looked down, still angry but ashamed. He then shifted his gaze to me, still hard, but softened by a fraction. “Forgive me, please.”

“You are forgiven.” I nodded with a small smile, scratching the itch on the back of my head. “Honestly, if I still had it, I’d be mad if someone stole my grandfather’s old hunting knife. So I can at least understand where you’re coming from… somewhat…”

The Warg looked slightly relaxed, an understanding entering his gaze, his nod coming as soft as the breeze that rustled his fur. He then turned and bowed to the blind Alpha, returning to the crowd not long after.

“Now, with that settled…” Karipuur smiled, “looking” to me with a soft smile. “Let the rituals begin.”

We’d decided to set Haven’s body on a small rowboat, sending it off down the river. The Alpha couple had suggested we used Black Flame to burn the body, so with some instruction, we sent a flaming arrow to the boat and watched the bobbing craft burn. We all watched as the boat melted in a pillar of smoke, waiting until the vapors died out as we shed our tears.

I then turned back to the mixed crowd, choaking down the river I was producing. “Haven, before coming here, had a very rough life. Forced to work as a house-hold slave, she was raised on the assumption that all children were like her. She would clean the house, do the dishes with barely running water, and cook all the meals. But then, she was whisked away to this world, where we found her. Not knowing at the time about the rest of the world, Luna and I decided that we would raise her. Luna would spend as much time as possible when off her duties, and I would care for her the rest of the time.” I gave a disheartened chuckle. “In all honesty, I probably spoiled her a bit…”

Luna coughed loudly off to the side.

“…a lot. I spoiled her to the ends of the earth and back.” That got a few chuckles and giggles from the gathered Wargs. “I wanted her to be happy, to forget all those years of forced labor. I bought mountains of toys, books, and pillows. Lots of pillows.”

A smile crept onto my muzzle, a few tears falling. “I know we will all miss her in our own way, but… I’m glad that she had a quick end among us. She is with God now, and I can rest easy that she’s in good hands. I can’t wait to see you again Haven, among those golden roads and towering mansions, accompanied by Heaven’s Hosts and the Saints. We shall see you again soon.”

I stepped off the podium, standing next to my mate. She leaned in and kissed my cheek. “You did great.”

“Thanks.” My jaw clenched as I wiped a few remaining tears away.

Several others had the courage to step up on stage, giving their farewells to our daughter. When this was done, everyone got to work cooking and setting up a long strand of shelter, tables, and chairs. Well, I should say “Table”, as the thing was a lone strip of long stone. And the shelter was a similar story, only being two long and very big slabs of rock pulled together, providing more room than needed for the feast of gathered Wargs. The seats were benches with Manticore fur as padding. Fifteen large metal bowls were brought in and set atop the table, each filled with wood and oil, being lit for warmth and light in the lengthy dining hall. All this was raised from the ground, the relatively smooth table and seat surfaces cleaned off in no time. It was the cooking that took the longest, so we all got to chatting and mingling.

Amongst the loud chatter, I soon learned that Guuh was specifically Luna’s younger brother, one of six, having nine sisters within the two litters after hers. Luna’s litter was the second, another born before her own. And my mate was apparently the fourth in a litter of five. Roret and Akiira were a part of the first litter, born alongside two others. Harvaah, a tall Wargess with pure gold fur and brown patches, was a medium built female with little padding, her piercing ice blue eyes and red rings a remarkable sight. I was somewhat surprised to find that she hadn’t found a mate, her beauty alone enough to charm anyone unpaired.

Another was Orvur, a chocolate furred Warg with snowy tufts along his snout and shoulders, eyes a deep blue with green rings. I didn’t get the chance to meet him personally, but I saw him across the way, laughing along with a story Roret was telling. Second to last was Quorveel, a Wargess with a black coat and orange highlights. She was a short female with a medium build, but regardless of stature, you could see the muscles rippling under her fur, a sure sign that she was not to be messed with.

And finally, was Diilah, I caught a glimpse of the thin Wargess sitting at the table alone. Slicing through the crowd, I saw that she had a silver pelt with aqua blue highlights, a pair of thick red glasses on her nose. I then approached the Wargess, smiling and stepping up beside her. “Good evening.”

She looked up at me with green eyes and bright yellow rings, taking her focus off the book she held in her claws. “Uh… hi. Y-you must be… L-Luna’s mate? Havaak, right?”

“Yes, that would be me.” I then gestured to the place next to her, reminding myself to get used to the new name. I think I had, like… three now? “May I sit?”

She nodded, allowing me to take the seat. I noticed that we were getting a few looks. Apparently, the newly crowned Alpha sitting next to (I didn’t even know what rank she was in the pack) wasn’t an appealing sight. “May I ask you something?”

She nodded again, meekly this time, under all the occasional stares.

“I don’t even know how anything works in Warg packs… but what rank are you? I know your dad is the Alpha, but…”

I trailed off at her pained look, the kind where you knew the answer, but were terrified to give it. I also saw that a few of the pack were giving her glares. I met their scowls, their eyes snapping to me in momentary terror, my raised voice gaining even more attention as others watched. “I asked her a question. Shouldn’t someone who’s never lived among his or her own kind get to know how things work? And what’s with those glares? She’s your family, show a bit of love will you?”

“While I echo your sentiment, asking another’s rank is considered rude, forbidden by some.” Karipuur rumbled as he came up from my left. “And your tone of voice is unacceptable.”

“Then tell me, Alpha, what is your daughter and my sister-law’s rank? Surely the Alpha is at liberty to tell?” I asked, ignoring his last statement.

The Alpha let out a breath. “She is an Omega. At this time, she is not to socialize with you.”

“And why not?” I almost laughed, my blood pressure rising. I’m pretty sure Discord was several miles away, measuring it with a mega-thermometer. “She’s family, so why shouldn’t I treat her as such?”

Diilah had long since dipped her head and her ears drooped, her sign of submission, but she perked slightly at my words.

“It is our way.”

I wanted to snap at him, but Luna had teleported to my side, and grasped my shoulder. My head snapped left to see a worried, but firm look in her eye, my frustration dissipating. Taking a deep breath to calm myself, I looked back to the Alpha. “I stand by the fact that she’s family, but I understand… a bit. You have an image to keep, but shouldn’t that only apply to the other Alphas?”

“It does, but there are certain rules that must be followed. Should you choose to run your pack differently, that is your decision, but I hold to mine.”

I grunted in agitated acceptance. “So be it.”

With that, the party resumed, abet with small tension. After that, a few seemed to avoid me as I roamed. Diilah eventually found me, bowed, and offered her thanks, to which I gave the meek Wargess a gentle hug. She tensed for a second, but relaxed and returned the gesture.

It was then that I was approached by Karipuur again, only this time he wore a smile. “You passed my little test. Good job.”

“Test?” I asked as he led me along through the crowd toward the long table again.

“Yes, while our caste system is what I believe you would expect, I am not as stingy as I would’ve had you think.”

I raised a brow. “Could’ve fooled me.”

“Hm…” The Alpha sat next to his mate, the Queen gesturing for me to sit. She gave a soft smile as I took my seat across from them. “We asked that everyone put on a little show in an effort for them to see your character. We witnessed your impressive power, next was your personality. And many are pleased by what was seen and heard. You hold family, regardless of rank, highly and even defied an Alpha to stand up for Diilah. She was very touched by what you said.”

Swallowing my drink that had been placed in front of me, I did what I could to hide my blush. “Sure. No problem. And I get that you needed to test me in that regard, but…”

“Why so soon? Why not let them see you over time? Because quite a few of my kin are impatient and wanted to know if you would be good Alpha material.”

“And I’m guessing it was in my favor?” I asked with a raised brow.

“Yep!” Piped up a Wargess with an almost black coat, her long hair fading to red about halfway as she draped an arm over my shoulders. Her scent, she was too close to miss it, was like a thick lavender mixed with apple cinnamon. “And I think my little lost cousin chose well with her mate. You’re definitely a keeper if you have the nerve to stand up to my uncle.”

“Or the stupidity…” I mumbled, to which she laughed, slipping into the seat to my left.

“Havaak, this is Kuurik, the eldest in the second litter of my sister’s.” Karipuur explained, seeming as if he’d practiced the last bit over a millennium. “She has been our shofar to Equestria with Roret’s help.”

“So… Roret’s not the only one good with portals?” I asked, leaning my head down on my hands, elbows on the table. I realized that my statement made me seem very biased, not a good thing.

“No. But she is one of the best.” Jurdehn said, giving her niece a pleased smile before a bell rung to our left. Her ears perked and nose twitched as the smell of glorious food wafted in. “Just in time. The food smells lovely.”

I watched as several Wargs brought huge wooden platers and bowls before us, filled to the brim with different meats, fruits, and a few dishes I couldn’t quite place. Then we each received a mug of golden, thick liquid. Smelling of honey and berry, it made my stomach cramp in yarning.

“Ever have Yii-Brandy before?” Kuurik asked as she took a long swig.

“Uh—"

“I’m sorry to interrupt,” Luna apologized as she parted her way through the throng of Wargs, coming up and kissing me on the cheek. She then looked to ger parents, a small frown on her face. “I am needed in Canterlot… something about, I don’t know… something that will probably just rob my time.”

“The life of a ruler is never dull.” Karipuur huffed, nodding to my mate. “Then do as you must, we will wait for you.”

“Assuming your father is sober at that time, yes, we shall wait.” Jurdehn smiled, sipping her own drink before snacking on a bird leg.

-=Luna’s POV=-

As many could guess, I was very unhappy to be called away by a set of Royal Guards. They came and “requested” that I return to the throne room, but I could tell it was more of an order. So, I then said my farewells to my family, probably for the night, and teleported to the throne room. And the sight that greeted me only soured my mood further.

Chancellor Neighsay stood at the dais’ base, smiling as if he’d won a battle and was planning to flaunt it about the entire kingdom. And sitting atop the throne was Twilight Sparkle, the youngest alicorn wearing the fanciest midnight blue dress bits could buy and a silver crown.

“Princess Luna, or should I say, ‘former’ Princess.” Neighsay started his undoubtedly longwinded speech, haughtily flinging his nose up. “As per the old laws, due to inactivity within the royal courts and flaunting about with your… stud of a knight,”

I felt my jaw clench and my fists shook, but I stood firm, unwillingly listening.

“You are proclaimed unfit for duty and are hereby dethroned. All tittles are stripped, and assets apprehended by the state. As these are dark times, and in the absence of the High Princess Celestia, the Alicorn Twilight Sparkle has been chosen to lead Equestria. Besides…” His eyes leveled with mine, that grin still on his smug face. “Shouldn’t a nation of ponies be governed and protected by a pony ruler? It’s only logical.”

I stood there as he went on, mulling over what was said. I was demoted from the throne due to ‘inactivity’… I WAS PROTECTING YOUR SORRY FLANKS FROM CORRUPTION WITHIN EQUESTRIA’S SOCIATY!! But… this also meant that all I had was my name, my pack, and my love. I had no government to cradle and look after, no pesky nobles, no boring meetings to attend, and I knew I could leave it in Twilight’s “capable” hands. I had a sneaking suspicion that Neighsay had orchestrated this and was no doubt going to use Twilight as a puppet. As naive as she was, Twilight knew nothing of politics, government, military tactics, or anything truly necessary for ruling a kingdom. She would no doubt be the figurehead as someone else pulled the strings and ran things.

“It’s no skin off my bones.” I stated with a bored expression, stuffing my hands into my pockets as I watched Neighsay stop mid-rant. “If you wish to kick me out, that’s fine, I have a party to get back to and a husband that loves me. I have somewhere else to go, and while I loved my time here, I shall miss the boring Galas, the snooze-fest meetings, and the drool-inducing, hand-cramping paperwork.”

I then looked to Twilight, letting Moon take control. “And to you, little Sparkle, I say farewell. Should you need our council, we will help, but if only to see how this country continues to burn. The flames were set ablaze long ago, we were only on damage control. You are in the final stages before this shambling house collapses, and we are only interested to see how it will topple.”

Twilight stood, worry in her eye as her mane frazzled, realization hitting her like a boulder. “B-but Princess—"

“I am no princess, not anymore. If I am to have a title, it will be Alpha.” I spat as I took over again, looking her dead in the eye. “This ploy is only a final set-up before the house crumbles. And I am happy to have left the structure before it does so. Whe—”

“Soon may the Wellerman come

To bring us sugar and tea and rum

One day, when the tonguing' is done

We'll take our leave and go

She had not been two weeks from shore

When down on her a right whale bo—" A ruckus came from behind the room’s doors, a mishmash of singing and clattering metal. “I’M ALRIGHT! I’M AAAAALLLLRIGHT!”

My eyes blinked as three Wargs swiftly pushed open the great doors. Greg, Damian, and Micah, all drunk as skunks. The smell was enough to make my nose wrinkle, but I giggled as my mate stumbled about, his lazy gaze landing on me with a drunken smile. “H-HeY -hic-, PrEtTy L-ladY, aRe y-YoU sIngLe?”

I did my best to hold back my giggles, helping to prop him up as he slumped into my side. “I’m sorry, but no. I’m married.”

My tipsy mate gave me a very goofy smile, only to start sobbing as my words registered. “Wh-wHY dO yOU hAve to bE MarRiEd? ThAt gUy iS SO L-luCKy!”

“Yes he is~” I purred before pecking him on the cheek, somehow finding him to be far too adorable. I then noticed the large flask in his hand, the strong smell of liquor radiating from there.

“But I think you’ve had enough for one night.” I quickly swiped the bottle from his loose grip, watching as he pouted.

“bUT, i-It’S a GiFT fRom tHOr hIMseLf! aND hATes lEt mE HaVE His iNVisIble HElmEt.”

“I think Thor will live with you putting it down to spend the evening with your wife.” I smiled as I gave him another peck on the cheek.

“I HaVe A WIfE?!” Micah’s legs took that moment to give out, the great Alpha of Desolation falling to the floor in a heap. It was only he noticed, from the floor, that Neighsay was in the room. I was somewhat worried what Micah would say or do when intoxicated. “hEY bRAin, I hAve PiNKie oN spEEd dilE fOr Ya!”

“W-what?! Luna, get this fool out of here!” The Chancellor snapped.

My grin vanished as I dashed up to the arrogant pony in a flash of lightening. “You would do well to remember who can obliterate an army here, and who can’t.”

“Last I checked, he was the drunkard on the floor!”

“And last I checked; he is my husband. Say anything of that caliber again, and Equestria shall have the shortest funeral in history.”

“There you are!” I turned to find Gwen racing up to us, looking to Damian, who was trying to woo a nearby guard-mare. Greg looked ready to toss his lunch over in the corner, the flowerpot would be laid out to pasture in the morning.

“Damian, will you stop flirting and come with me!” Gwen huffed, the goth Wargess tugging on his arm to lead him back down the hall.

“I c-can find my way back…” The Beta muttered, still drunk, but not as heavily as Micah.

“Sure…” The Wargess grumbled, giving me a nod as she passed.

I returned the gesture before what could only be described as a cry of anguish rang out from Greg, the drunk Warg falling to his knees as he sobbed. “M-Micah has L-Luna, D-Damian h-has Gwen… who d-do I have?”

In a flash of green flame, Maggie was at Greg’s side, giving him the biggest hug. “Me silly!”

Shaking my head at the adorable display, I turned and pulled Micah to his feet, slowly making our way to the exit. But before I could pass the doors, the new Sovern called out. “P- Luna, wait!”

I looked back over my shoulder, silently expecting her to continue.

“Y-You don’t have to go… you could be my adviser…” Twilight asked this as she twiddled her thumbs.

I gave her an honest smile, but it wasn’t the offer that made me happy, it was the fact that regardless that she was the sole ruling power in Equestria, Twilight was still the naïve scholar. “Twilight Sparkle, while your offer is kind, I can say that I am happy with this turn of events. I can now live the life I’ve always wanted; a quiet one with many friends and family. I have a very large family, at that, and a loving husband. What more could I ask for in life?”

“True…” The alicorn looked away in sadness for a moment. “But I would still like to at least visit… if that’s ok with you. Or, if I have a big problem, could I ask for your council?”

“I shall allow your visits…” I let a mischievous grin overtake my muzzle. “Provided I am not ‘busy’ with my mate…”

“U-Uh… sure.” Twilight squeaked out, her face red.

With the grin still on my face, I teleported the still drunk Havaak back to our tent, laying him down on our bed. After tucking him in, I peeked out and saw that everyone else was heading off to bed as well, the sky having gone dark long ago.

“Luna?” I turned to see my father coming up the road, accompanied by two guards in very futuristic gunmetal-grey armor. “I can only guess that the event didn’t go well?”

“Eh.” I shrugged, grabbing my jacket and stepping outside to join him. “I’m not heartbroken. I was demoted as Princess of Equestria… which I’ll have to look into to see if is even real…”

“And this happening doesn’t bother you?”

“No. If I’m being sincere, I will not miss the role. I can now live a free life. I can dress as I wish with no huge tabloids posting it all over the country, no more squabbling nobles. I can live as I please with my husband and help him lead. Though I am not completely free from the role of ruling with being an Alpha, I don’t feel as restricted as before.” I smiled in earnest, accepting the hug he offered.

“I am glad that my daughter is happy with her life.” The Alpha squeezed and kissed me on the head. “Now, if I’m not mistaken, your mate either had a bit too much to drink or he can’t hold his liquor.”

“It’s both. I’ll be sure to nurse him back to health.”

“Very good.” He stepped away, crossing his arms behind his back. “Now, there were a few things we talked about before he went under that I feel inclined to mention. Havaak had spoken about wanting to open a portal back to the world he originated from, in order to send those who wanted to return to earth should they want to stay or go. He’d also talked about wanting to move the Nahar’s dwelling closer to our settlements and out of Equestria. You shouldn’t speak of it with me, but I just thought I’d tell you.”

“Thank you, father.” I nodded and bowed in thanks.

The mighty Warg scoffed. “You needn’t call me something so strict as ‘father’. You could call me Papa, or Dad if you wish.”

I quite liked the sound of ‘Papa.’ “Alright. See you soon, Papa.”

Papa beamed, his cheeks slightly red. “Very well, goodnight, my dear puppy.”

With the admittedly cute exchange done, I retreated back into our tent. Letting my coat fall to the floor, I swiftly stripped down to my underwear, crawling into bed with my mate. My fur had thickened over the winter months, but I still enjoyed the warmth Micah’s body gave off. But it wasn’t long before my peace was broken by quiet sobs, my mate having pressed his head to my chest as he wrapped his arms and legs around me.

I knew why he cried; it was loss. He had lost so much. His family from earth, Haven, the kitsunes, and the house which he’d built. But by the way he held me, it felt like an act of desperation. He had lost so much, so he was clinging to me, praying that I wouldn’t leave him too. In response, I held him tight as well, borrowing my face in his fluffy neck.

“I shall never leave you, my Alpha. Even when death takes us, either together or apart, I shall await you at the gates of Heaven.”

PreviousChapters Next