• Published 29th Mar 2018
  • 3,349 Views, 37 Comments

First Date - Rose Quill



Sunset and Twilights first official date: the Fall Formal

  • ...
9
 37
 3,349

I said you’re holding back

We weren't the only teens in Tudors, seeing a small mix of both Canterlot and Crystal Prep students in the restaurant. The old style feel of the building inside contrasted its modern exterior. Exposed wooden beams crisscrossed overhead, the wall behind the bar was made of replica ale kegs, complete with taps that were fed into the actual kegs underneath the counter. The bar itself was raw wood carefully worn smooth and sealed, adding a rustic feel that was added to by the stools that looked as though they had been made out of branches and log sections.

But the period decor ended there. The table Twilight and I sat at had modern chairs with nice cushions and the table held a small lamp that flickered with a series of small LEDs giving it a life-like feel.

I sipped my water, glancing over the top of my menu at my date as she excited looked over the menu. When she saw where we were going, she had started talking excitedly, almost being childlike in her glee.

“And they have such a delicious spinach and artichoke dip,” the scientist said, setting her menu to the side, apparently having decided on her dinner. “You are in for such a treat. Have you decided on what you want… what are you smiling at?”

I lowered my menu slightly and grinned wider. “You,” I said. “You are getting excited over dinner as though it was a new science problem. This is a side of you I’ve never seen before.”

She blushed a little and smiled. “A good meal is just like a chemical solution,” she whispered. “If you mix everything properly and apply the right catalyst to cook it, then the result is incredibly fulfilling. And this place is one of the best places to do it.”

I shook my head, raising the menu again. “Well, maybe we’ll have to come back in the future,” I offered. “Make it a special treat for future date nights.”

“I’d like that,” Twilight said, pausing to sip from her water. “More date nights, that is.”

I made a choice on a dish of gnocchi and cheese ravioli with a parmesan sauce, something that I wasn’t expecting in a pub type restaurant. I looked up and set my menu to the side. “Well, all set?”

She nodded, reaching out to take my hand. “Just think,” she whispered, running her thumb over my knuckles. “If you hadn’t asked, I’d be laid out in the floor watching tv with my brother.”

“Regretting it?”

“You are a little more attractive than the LT in Wings of Glory,” she smiled. “I think I’m winning out in the end.”

A young woman swept up to us, the staff uniform of all black with a red apron highly visible in the sea of colorful dresses and suits. “My name is Suzette and I’ll be your server,” the woman said. “What can I get for you young ladies?” she asked with a smile as she pulled out an order pad from a pocket in the apron.

Twilight pulled her hand way quickly, her face blushing. I tucked it away for later as I smiled back. “I’d like the Gnocchi Parmesan, please,” I requested. “And may I have plain breadsticks instead of the garlic?”

The waitress nodded. “Not a problem,” she said, noting it down. Turning towards Twilight, smile still on full blast. “And for you, dearie?”

“The BBQ chicken breast, please?” Twilight said. “With mashed potatoes and the roasted squash, please?”

“Gravy or butter on the potatoes?”

“Butter, please,” Twilight said, handing our menus to her when she held her hand out.

“All right,” Suzette smiled at us. “I’ll have these out in just a few moments. Can I get you anything while you wait?”

I shook my head after glancing at Twilight. “No, thank you, though.”

After she left, I locked eyes with Twilight. “What’s wrong?” I asked.

“What do you mean?”

I leaned forward a little. “When Suzette came up, you pulled your hand away and hid it a little quickly,” I stated. “And it wasn’t the first time since we’ve been in here that you’ve done that. Are you embarrassed by being seen with me?”

“No, Sunny,” she stuttered. “It’s not that. It’s just…”

I waited. I could see in her face she was looking for a way to phrase the thought, something I had seen before.

“I’m embarrassed,” she whispered. “But not by you. It’s silly.” She took my hand again. “I’m worried that someone might judge us and start a scene. I know it’s unlikely, but I really don’t want you to have a bad night just because of me.”

I looked at her and sighed. “Twi,” I began. “You are a brilliant young lady, a great friend, and a wonderful girlfriend. But there are times you are totally blind.”

“I’m not blind,” she protested. “I have astigmatism and…”

“Socially blind,” I amended to cut off her lecture about what astigmatism was. “Did you think that maybe I’d be more upset that you didn’t want to be yourself? That you held back out of fear of what someone you don’t even know think?”

I squeezed her hand as she blushed. “I love you, Sparky,” I teased, seeing her blush fade as she glared at the nickname. “And if anyone gets in our face because we’re together, trust that I’ll always side with my Sunshine.”

She smiled and laced her hand through mine. “I’m sorry,” she said gently.

“About what?” I grinned cheekily. She giggled. I heard the clink of platters and looked to the side in time to see Suzette returning with a serving tray in her hands. I went to pull my hand away only to have her grip my hand tightly for a moment, mouthing “I love you,” when I glanced up at her.

I smiled back before pulling my hand away to move the unused appetizer plate out of the way as Suzette arrived and set our dinners on the table.

“If you guys need anything else, just give me a call!” she said before turning and striding away, checking on a table as she passed it.

“That looks nice,” Twilight said, pulling her knife and fork free from the napkin roll.

“You can have a taste if you want to,” I said. “Always good to experiment.”

She smiled. “Bon appitit, Sunset,” she replied, turning her plate slightly and spearing a bit of squash.

I smiled back. “Bon appitit, Twilight.”