• Published 19th Feb 2018
  • 261 Views, 2 Comments

Cutie Mark Creature - Halogenmyst



An unusual mark invites trouble

  • ...
 2
 261

Convergence

Fluorite Vapor couldn't breathe. The slow suffocation woke him with a start, but like so many times before, despite his mind's urging to escape, he laid paralyzed. The train car was dark, with the windows allowing moonlight to filter into the room in a turquoise glow. Fluorite laid on the bench on his back, his head resting just under the window. His eyes tried to adjust to the darkness of the train but couldn't because of the living shadow that sat squarely on Fluorite's chest. The figure's muzzle, if it had one, was pressed right up against Fluorite's own. The living darkness seemed to draw his senses into itself, a boundless void acting like a basin drain to Fluorite's entire being. Fluorite's vision blurred and swam about, he could hear a droning buzz in his ears that grew louder and more indistinct as time went on. The world faded into blackness on all sides, as though all of reality was being pulled through a twisting tunnel. A large shadow passed through the train,interrupting the moonlight for only a moment.In that moment, the figure vanished and Fluorite loudly gasped for air, sitting himself upright, back against the wall. Silver moonlight dusted the train car as Fluorite took a couple minutes to catch his breath.


"It happened again, didn't it?" Ocean Vapor asked. The Aquamarine unicorn had awoken to find her son staring out the window with harsh, dark bags under his eyes. She silently left and retrieved the train's breakfast before sitting beside her son on the bench.

"Yeah." Fluorite said flatly.

Ocean looked down toward her simple breakfast and sighed. She wished there was more she could do to help, but it seemed the most she could do was comfort him after the fact. Even now, they were on the train to tackle a different issue entirely.

"I hope Gabby knows what she's talking about." Fluorite said with a sigh.

Ocean smiled and nodded. Fluorite found himself in a curious situation. A Cutie Mark had appeared on his flank in a most unusual manner, leaving a rather distressing impression behind. Rather than coloration appearing over his coat, the hairs of his pale orange coat fell out revealing dark skin in the shape of a grim smile. Gabriella had suggested that they visit Ponyville to see the "world famous Cutie Mark Crusaders". They were apparent experts when it came to Cutie Marks, and if anypony knew what to make of Fluorite's predicament, it would be them.

"You've got to trust Gabby, she's met these ponies personally, she would never lie to you." Ocean said, hoping to reassure Fluorite.

"I'm not worried she's lying. I'm worried it doesn't matter..." Fluorite admitted quietly. "What if they discover that I am a freak?" Tears were preparing to escape his eyes.

Ocean wrapped an arm over Fluorite's shoulder and pulled him into a hug.

"That won't happen. Besides, you'll always be my son." She said with a warm smile.

"Thanks mom." Fluorite said, returning the hug and the smile.


Fluorite and Ocean Vapor landed at Ponyville Station and stretched their legs. With only saddlebags for luggage, they were able to get into town pretty quickly.

Ponyville was a quaint little town. Most of the businesses seemed to run from within ponies' homes, giving it the look and feel of a neighborhood, whether you were technically in a residential zone or not. Fluorite felt a comfortable air about Ponyville. The citizens always had a genuine smile on their faces, and everypony seemed comfortable and satisfied. In Baltimare, most ponies would be on the lookout for somepony to entice or swindle, Fluorite grew to recognize when ponies have some ulterior motive. In Ponyville however, Fluorite couldn't sense anything of the sort anywhere.

"I'm going to go check in at the hotel, why don't you find the library and see if we can't find out where these fillies are?" Ocean said.

Fluorite nodded and headed deeper into town. Not knowing where to go, he decided asking would be the best way to get there.

Fluorite spotted a couple of mares sitting on a bench nearby. One was a mint colored unicorn and the other was a beige earth pony.

"Excuse me, could you two give me directions to the library?" Fluorite asked.

The two mares looked at each other with slightly confused faces.

"Should he go to the actual library?"

"Why would we send him there? It wouldn't be of any use."

"I know, but..."

They stopped their poorly hidden whispers to turn to the young stallion before them.

"Why do you need to find the library?" The unicorn asked.

"Oh, well, I was looking for some ponies in town, and I thought the library would be a good place to start." Fluorite answered, slightly confused why it mattered.

The beige mare spoke up. "Okay, well, we used to have a library, but that's a complicated story. If you're looking for somepony, you need to talk to Pinkie Pie. She knows everypony so well, it's scary."

"Oh, well where could I find her?" Fluorite asked.

The two mares then gave him easy directions to Sugarcube Corner, where he would find Pinkie Pie.

"Thank you both so much." Fluorite said as he began to walk away.

Once he was out of earshot the unicorn turned to the other mare.

"Pinkie Pie!? Are you crazy? We can only pray he doesn't spread weird rumors."


Fluorite Vapor could easily smell the bakery before he could see it. Sugarcube Corner released sweet aromas of vanilla and cinnamon, seemingly drawing ponies in with a palpable force. Upon entering, Fluorite's senses were bombarded with sweeter bouquets of cupcakes and brownies. The walls were decorated with pleasant, invigorating colors, which complemented the happy chatter of customers.

"Welcome!" A voice called.

Fluorite could tell the voice came from behind the counter, yet the voice's owner stood in front of him so close it startled him. Standing before him was probably a pink pony, but she bobbed up and down so fast her image became blurry and hard to describe.

"Hiya my name's Pinkie what's yours I know everypony but I don't know you which must mean you're new I'm so excited to meet you we're going to have a party and you'll get to know everypony in town and we're going to have so much fun I really love making new friends and since you're not my friend right now it makes you the perfect opportunity so how's about we get to know each other I grew up on a rock farm but moved out when I discovered there were places needing parties like Ponyville I love it here and I know you will too because everypony's so nice and friendly here OOH neat Cutie Mark what's-"

The bouncing pink piston of a pony continued to prattle on as Fluorite's heart accelerated. He almost forgot all the trouble the mark had caused him back home, and here he was in an unfamiliar town where it would practically be his first impression. Luckily, the crowd on the train was light, so nopony was able to get a good look, but since being in town, it's been on full display.

He made a realization. Fluorite's mark had been on full display ever since landing in Ponyville, and everypony in town seemed perfectly fine. He had even spoken to a couple mares who got a good look, and they treated him like a completely normal pony, they were even helpful. All the looks of horror and disgust he received in Baltimare was completely missing here.

"Gummy needed some special food after that one but Tank and he get along a lot better now did I tell you about Angel he's a bunny that knows how to party let me tell you I once-"

"Pinkie Pie! What did I say about talking to new ponies?" A stern tone came from behind the counter, from a blue mare with a mane that looked like pink frosting spilled over her head.

Pinkie Pie froze as though time stood still. Seeming to literally deflate, she turned a forlorn gaze at the ground and responded in a saddened tone.

"Practice pronouncing periods..."

"That's right, now you give that young stallion a chance to process and run the register." The blue mare instructed.

"Yes Mrs. Cake..." Pinkie said as she fell toward the ground and retreated to behind the counter without using her limbs, seeming to slither back like a big, pink,pony-shaped snake.

"Oh." Fluorite whispered to himself. "Abnormal is ordinary here."

Author's Note:

Halfway through writing the story and I realized that if anypony didn't know about the Ponyville library, it would be very odd to receive directions to a castle. :applejackunsure: