• Published 8th Feb 2018
  • 614 Views, 6 Comments

The Day of Love - Rose Quill

  • ...
1
 6
 614

Spoilers: Flash Sentry and Lemon Zest

I zipped up my cymbal bag and set it to the side, still humming the song we had ended our show with. I genuinely loved playing regularly, especially with the lineup in this band. We had a great bond and could read each other mid song, extending solos or moving immediately into the next song without stopping. I don’t think I ever went through sticks like this since the drum corp had been in existence at Crystal Prep.

I was reaching for the hard shells for my kit when I felt a hand cover mine. I looked up and grinned at Flash, his not-so-subtle smile bright as he lifted one of the shells.

“Want a hand?” he asked causually.

“You packed up already, Sentry?” I returned with a wink. “Sure.”

Drums were a strange dichotomy, instruments that you wailed on with sticks and mallets, but were incredibly delicate. I was very picky about who I let help me pack up or set up.

Flash was pretty much it outside of Pinkie Pie. Other drummers know how touchy we were.

“So, we still on for later?” I asked as I broke down my kit and set the toms to the side. “Or you want to wait until tomorrow?”

“I’m fine if you are,” Flash said as he collapsed my cymbal stands down and set them to the side on the dropcloth I tended to wrap them in. “I mean, it’s only eleven at night.”

I giggled as I set my bass drum in its shell. “Only,” I quipped.

He rolled his eyes. “For us, this is an early night,” he defended. “Remember New Years, when we were breaking down at four?”

“And going to bed at ten?” I purred, flashing him a smile. He blushed in return. He was so fun to tease, in both senses.

I cinched the strap up on the shell and turned to look at him, draping an arm over my knee. “Flash,” I said, looking at him. “When are you going to loosen up?”

“What do you mean?” he asked, rolling the stands up for storage.

“I can’t even make even a subtle joke without you getting all nervous,” I said, blowing a wisp of hair out of my face. “But we’ve been dating for a while and the most you’ve done is pecks on the cheek. You’re too tense, man.”

He frowned, turning to face me. “What do you mean?”

I sighed and went over to him, putting a hand on either shoulder. “Flash, you are one of those rare sorts,” I said, smiling softly. “A Knight-in-Shining beyond any motive beyond a good heart. But for once in your life, will you let your sense of nobility and morals relax for a night? It won’t kill you to kiss me on the lips, or letting me snuggle with you all night.”

His face was shading red with each word. “But it’s only been…”

I put a hand on my forehead, sighing. “Four months, Slick,” I groaned. “There are couples that have been married by now.” I leaned forward and set my forehead against his. “Mind telling me why you’re so dead set on taking things so slow?”

He sighed and sat back, looking down. “I don’t want to screw up,” he whispered.

I frowned. “What?”

“I’ve not got a good track record,” he said. “Sunset, then crushing on Twilight…both of them. I just want to make sure I’m ready. And then there are my parents.”

“Your parents?” I blinked. “What have they got to do with it?”

“They put on a good front,” he said, his hands curling into fists. “But if you look closely enough you can tell they don’t love each other. I’m surprised they haven’t divorced yet, with me being out on my own now.”

He sighed. “Don’t get me wrong, they love me, and I love them,” he closed his eyes. “But each other? I’m sure that maybe once they did. But they stayed together for me, I’m almost sure.”

“Are you sure?” I asked, shifting and rubbing a hand across his shoulders. “Maybe they just don’t show it the way others do?”

He chuckled ruefully. “Lemon, I’m twenty. My mother isn’t even forty. I can do the math.”

I couldn’t help it, the math was done immediately. “Oh….” I whispered.

“Yeah.”

I ruffled his hair. “Don’t worry about that, Flash,” I said as I put my forehead against his temple. “I’m in no hurry for that. But maybe, just maybe, you could trust yourself and me to keep a cooler head?”

“What do you mean?”

I took his chin in my hand and turned his face to mine.

And kissed him fully. I felt him relax into the kiss, his arms starting to go around me before he pulled away. I sighed and punched him in the shoulder.

“Dammit, Flash,” I whispered.

“I’m sorry,” he said, turning away. He got up and picked up the cymbal stands, not meeting my eyes as he went to deposit them in the van.


I was toweling my hair dry, eyes still bleary despite the stinging warmth of the shower when the doorbell rang. I frowned, not expecting anyone to come by today. Valentine’s Day was something I usually spent on my own, counting down the minutes to half-price chocolate day.

Looping my towel over my shoulders and making sure I had actually put on some sort of clothing respectable enough to open the door with, I headed downstairs. On the other side of the door was Flash, a sheepish smile on his face.

“Hey,” he said simply.

I took a step back, giving him room to step inside. “Hey,” I returned.

“Got a minute? I feel like we need to talk.” He rubbed the back of his neck. “I might have overreacted the other night.”

I lifted a few wet strands of hair. “I’m sure not going to go out in the cold February weather anytime soon,” I quipped, smiling slightly. “Coffee?”

“Please.”

As the coffee maker gurgled and steamed, I leaned against the counter and looked at him. He was fiddling with his hands, not meeting my eyes.

I gave an exasperated sigh. “You’re an idiot, Flash,” I said as I pulled a pair of mugs from the cupboard. “Adorable, cute, and noble, but also an occasional idiot.”

He looked up at me with a confused look. “What?”

“Look,” I said, sliding a mug over to him. “I get where you’re coming from, but did you ever think that maybe you’re underselling my part in this?”

I leaned against the countertop, spitting him with my gaze. “I’m the first to admit that I love to tease you, and it’s fun because you’re such an upright guy,” I smiled. “But that doesn’t mean that that’s all I wanna do. Sometimes, I just want to sit on the couch and watch a movie and that’s all.”

He nodded. “I know,” he said. “I thought a lot about what you said the other night, and I think I’m worried that I’m not sure if what I think is love really is. I’ve felt more at ease with you than anyone I have before, but I’m not sure what that is.”

I smirked. “So what you’re saying,” I said, trying not to laugh. “Is you wanna know what love is.”

He burst out laughing with me. “Yeah,” he said between chuckles. “I want you to show me.”

I smiled at him and reached over to ruffle his hair affectionately. “Well, Slick,” I said, coming around the counter. “Today’s the day to find out, I suppose.”

He reached out as I went to move past hime and took my free hand, causing me to face him. I found myself kissing the man before I fully recognized what was happening. I felt his hand cup my face and the other slide around my waist.I slipped my free hand around his waist as well, trying to keep enough sense of self to not spill my coffee.

When we broke, I couldn’t help but lick my lips, a warm blush on my cheeks. “Well,” I said. “I guess you really did listen to me.”

He leaned forward and rested his head against mine. “i’ve been known to do that,” he said.

I smiled and booped him on the nose as I took another sip of my coffee. “Then buckle up,” I said. “Cause I’m going to give you a crash course on how to be happy with me.”

Winking, I leaned in and whispered “Spoilers: be yourself.”