• Published 22nd Jul 2012
  • 688 Views, 14 Comments

The journey - Dashed_Brony



When a stallion decides to set out on a journey, he soon learns how life is outside Ponyville

  • ...
 14
 688

CH4: The adventure continues

The last thing he had seen, was a wall that flashed up like her horn, in the same dark-toned blue as her horn-aura. Whatever memories he had of the text written upon it was removed though. He couldn't remember a single symbol, and if it wasn't for him waking up yet again, he would've felt more bothered by it.

His head was pounding, now worse than when he had woken up in the prison cell after the blow to his head. It was much worse.

His first reaction to waking up was "Gaaaaaaaah!", as he was screaming in pain. It soothened, and so his voice lowered itself. Opening his eyes, finally seeing the sunlight once more, thinking he'd never see it again after the last episode, he hadn't noticed 'she' was in front of him, with her horn to his head, glowing like before.

He backed off immediately. This time he was too focused on waking up to surpress the urge to blush, and his cheeks lit up like a pair of torches, with the unmistakable mix between red and pink.

She didn't laugh, or even pay heed to it. Not within his ability to notice, anyways.

She turned around, and prepared to take her leave. She made no signal for him to follow, and even as he tried, she raised a hoove. The meaning was obvious.

He stopped, and watched her walk off. With his head low, he turned in the opposite direction, and walked. He didn't even dare turn his head around until he could no longer hear the sound of grass being knocked over by her gentle hoovesteps.

He was no longer in a forest, but a pretty open, grassy field, with the occasional tree and flower popping up every here and there.

The joy of not being a slave for the diamond dogs, or whatever it was they had planned had faded as he hadn't even been able to thank his saviour. Even more so, he didn't have any food. All his books on what was edible and what wasn't had been taken as well.

He did however have a pair of small brown leather caskets on either sides of him, connected to each other by a pair of sturdy straps, which was how he carried them.

He hadn't paid note to the weight inside them, and when he finally did, he stopped and looked inside.

It wasn't exactly what he had hoped for, but somehow, neither did he feel disappointed. A pair of daggers, a book called 'Survival', a hook and a rope. He knew the tools were there for harvesting, but from what he had seen, it was a must to be able to defend oneself.

She must've been the one who'd have handed it to him while he was out. Had she anticipated he'd read on the wall? Probably. Curiosity gets the best of any pony.

And who would even think something like this would happen? Even Twilight was probably not aware, and if somepony knew something, it was her. Then it struck him. Perhaps she could explain the symbols? He couldn't remember a single one of them, but he knew he'd have seen symbols. He was certain of that much.

His location wasn't far off a village. Not one of the major cities. Just a small, innocent city with a few villagers spread over a few buildings. Kind of like a smaller version of Sweet apple acres. It wasn't quite so... Apple-ish.

It was probably another one of her calculations. She wasn't just good in combat appearantly. She was also extremely clever. Made him wonder why she had gone down there to save him in the first place. It wasn't the first time a pony had been kidnapped by diamond dogs, and how was he any more special than those down there suffering this very moment?

His mind was raided by different thoughts and conclusions. None were definite, because there always seemed to be a new path to take from the last.

Before he knew it, he stood right below the entrance to the town. Above was a sign that read 'Bolt and trolt'

The only thing he could think of was a pair of ponies that had visited Ponyville at an earlier point and tried to take over the source of the sweet apple cider everypony loved.

It made him a little unnerved to wander inside, but he had no other option. For one, he needed work, so he could regain resources. Two, he needed to contact Twilight about this. He wasn't going to tell he had lost her books. Celestia knows what she might think of him. First few days out there, and he'd already been robbed and trapped...

'Great way to start it off' he mumbled to himself, more thought-wise than verbal.

As he made his way further into the small town, he saw a few fields of crops of various vegetables, and even some with trees in them. It counted somewhere around 20, but he hadn't time to go around counting every last one of them. At least not for the moment.

The town seemed abandoned though. So why were the trees so fresh? As the vegetable-... No, they weren't. They were rotten, from one end to another. What had been sunlight, was a dark, overclouded sky, and every building seemed like it hadn't been touched in ages.

"An illusion spell?"

He looked to every corner, and window of every house, hoping to see whomever had done it, but if the illusion was gone, it was likely that the culprit was as well.

No, he or she was still here. There was no doubt. What stood before him, was pony-shaped mud that walked from every direction, right at him. They all carried blunt weapons like thick sticks, rocks or planks. They had no face, so he wasn't sure of their intention.

However, the culrpit had finally revealed himself. Atop one of the taller buildings, he heard someone shout. "Drop your bag and all your goods on the ground, and you will go unhar-..." Whomever was speaking was interrupted by something, and from the sound of wood breaking, the guess was easy. The muddy ponies fell to the ground and returned to their original state of being just a pit of dirt and water.

He flew up to the source of the sound. In the middle of the roof was a giant hole. He landed atop the roof, careful with his steps, and looked inside, only to find a colt, not yet fully matured. Yet, the magic the colt had shown made him wonder just how much talent he had.

He was met with a pair of red, angry eyes, and throwing off whatever had landed atop him, a unicorn revealed itself. He was green, like the wet grass, with a black mane and tail, dark as watery grass. It was a mess. It stuck in every direction. His tail fell flat. Meant the unicorn had probably done it on purpose.

"Uhm... Are you oka-" He couldn't finish before he was met with a grumble and a snarling reply.

"None of your business!"

"Err... Okay... Need any help? Trying to make your way down the stairs is probably more dangerous than a helping hoove, right?"

Silence.

The colt sighed turned his head, sighed and nodded. A few minutes of carrying later, they were both safely at the ground once more.

"So... Why exactly are you here? I mean... There are villages with work, so you don't have to plunder."

Again, silence.

"Well... I'll be heading off... If you want to stay here and wait for the next poor fellow to come here and help you because you fell through the roof again, feel free to..."

He could hardly contain his laughter as 'fuzzy-hair' grumbled and decided to tag along.

He had no idea where he was going, but he had gained a companion, at least temporary, that was probably more powerful and useful than him. He let silence emerge until the unicorn decided to start a conversation. He knew colts were impatient that way, but for now, he let silence take hold of the two as they continued over the other side of the grassy field. The clouds had disappeared, and so, the sun once more lit up the world with all its warmth and beauty.


- End -