• Published 7th Dec 2011
  • 1,647 Views, 10 Comments

Embark - FazzinaW



When Big Macintosh proposes to Fluttershy, Applejack realizes she is missing something in her life.

  • ...
 10
 1,647

Chapter 4

Rainbow woke up to a cry and a thud. She looked over and her worst fear had come true. The cloud-walk spell had worn off and Applejack had fallen 20 feet to the cold, hard dirt on the outskirts of Ponyville.

“Oh crap...” Rainbow jumped through the pony sized hole and flew down as fast as she could, not caring if she could stop in time. As she reached the ground she stood next to an unconscious Applejack.

“QUICK, SOMEPONY HELP!!” Rainbow ran off and headed towards town to get Twilight, she would know what to do. Rainbow flew as fast as her adrenaline-fueled wings would carry her. As she reached the edge of Ponyville, she saw Big Macintosh walking with Granny Smith and Applebloom.

“BIG MACINTOSH QUICK, APPLEJACK’S HURT” Rainbow knew that Big Macintosh supported her and Applejack dating, even if Granny Smith didn’t.

“What?! Where is she?” Big Macintosh had gotten a tone of worry in his face.

“Who?” Said an old, green mare. Rainbow gasped. Granny Smith was denying Applejack existed? Even being the conservative and religious mare she was, she wouldn’t deny one of her granddaughters’ existence.

“Ignore her. She still doesn’t believe that Applejack is... yeah.” For being only 8, Applebloom understood the situation better than most ponies twice her age.

“Okay, come with me. Applebloom, you stay here.” Rainbow, even though she hated Granny Smith with all of her heart, knew she couldn’t stay alone.

When Applejacks unconscious body came into view, Big Macintosh sprinted to his sisters side.

“She’s still breathing. You need to help me get her onto my back.” Big Macintosh, being a mare of about 25, had spent some time in the Royal Guard. This was second nature to him.

“Can’t I just fly her to the hospital?” Rainbow was only about 18. She didn’t know what Big Macintosh was getting at.

“We can’t. If you fly to high, the pressure inside of her will increase and cause more damage. I need to take her by ground.” Rainbow just nodded and helped life AJ onto Big Macintosh’s back. Rainbow barely had time to back up as adrenaline-fueled Big Mac began sprinting towards Ponyville Medical Center.

When Rainbow burst through the doors, she saw Big Macintosh, and Applebloom sitting in the waiting room.

“Applebloom, what are you doing here? Weren’t you supposed to be watching Granny Smith for us?” Rainbow was gasping for air as she was barely able to ask the question.

“She said that she wanted to go home, so when I dropped her off, ah ran here.” Applebloom had more freedom then most fillies her age, so she knew where most of Ponyville was by heart.

“The doctor said she would be out of surgery in an hour.” Big Macintosh was handling this well. He knew that AJ would get out alive. It would just be expensive.

“That’s good. You guys should head out, I’ll stay here and give you news for tomorrow.”
Rainbow asked the nurse which room Applejack would be staying in after her surgery. As she walked she began to cry, worried for the one she loved. She walked slowly into the room and found herself lying down in a curled up ball on the chair next to the bed. She went to sleep that night crying and worrying for Applejack to be safe. On Sweet Apple Acres, they came home only to go right back to the hospital. Granny Smith was dying.

Applejack woke up the next morning drowsy with a pounding headache. As she sat up she heard sobbing in the area next to her. She, noticing that there were no connections to her body, pushed herself up and peaked. What she saw next made her gasp as tears formed in the corners of her eyes. She saw her grandma, eyes half closed as the members of her dear family surrounded her. Rainbow was quietly crying to herself in the corner, when she looked up.

“APPLEJACK YOU’RE AWAKE!” Rainbow jumped up and ran to embrace AJ as the rest of the Apple and Orange (who arrived last night under the circumstances) looked up to see Rainbow Dash practically make out with Applejack out of excitement as the others just made an unapproving noise and turned back to Granny Smith who was trying to speak.

“Applejack... please come here. I want to tell you something.” Granny Smith was barley audible, but everyone heard it loud enough to make a path wide enough for Applejack and Rainbow Dash to walk to the side of the bed.

“Yes Granny?” Applejack was lightly sobbing now. She knew what was happening and wasn’t ready to accept it. Not yet, anyways.

“I want you to know that I love you, even though you have made some decisions that I do not approve, I just want you to be happy. I’m sorry for how I reacted earlier. I love you.” Granny Smith began to cry. She didn’t want her granddaughter to hate her, especially on her deathbed.

“It’s ok Granny. I forgive you. I love you.” Applejack began to sob heavily and ran from the room. Rainbow sighed and turned first to the door that AJ ran out of, then to Granny Smith.

“Thank you.” Rainbow Dash said to Granny with sincerity. She walked out of the room to find Applejack on the floor in front of the room sobbing. Rainbow didn’t say anything and lied down next to Applejack, letting the sobbing earth pony rest her head on her shoulder, as behind them, the green line went straight and a high pitched tone rung in everyponies’ ears. She was gone.