• Published 15th Jan 2018
  • 835 Views, 5 Comments

Even In Darkness, Light Can Be Found - Night--Mist



Night Mist is now a student of Celestia's. For flying, not magic. And as time goes on, Night Mist will find out things he never thought possible.

  • ...
4
 5
 835

Assignment to Ponyville

It had been many years now since the announcement had been made that Night Mist had become a Prince of Equestria, along with Twilight and Shining Armor. While Shining was still a prince, it did not sway him from his dedication to the Equestrian Royal Guard. Sure, all three of them were given lessons on how to handle royal matters, but they did try to keep their heads on straight, and low on publicity. Night Light Sparkle had become Celesitia's Master of Coin, seeing as how the last stallion had nearly bankrupt their wealth on meaningless things. Velvet Sparkle had become her chief advisor, after the last one had tried to ban all Daring Do Books from being sold in Canterlot, and had been arresting ponies for embarrassing him in the streets.

Night Mist had been sharpening his flying skills, which by this point, he had mastered his landings, however, with his eyes, it made things a bit hard for him to see, when he forgot to put on his prescription shades. He still had some problems with pegasi giving him grief for his heritage, but he had met one filly, by the name of Rainbow Dash, who had his back when they teased him. He even met a griffon named Gilda who was pretty cool to. And both gave him some good competition in flying. The Wonderbolts and Royal Guard Pegasi, that had volunteered to be their flying tutors when the school open, saw great potential for Rainbow Dash and Night Mist. And Rainbow Dash admitted she was jealous of him getting to have Celestia as his mom and flying tutor, with all the stories she had heard about Celestia. Not that she wanted to be royal, just able to give Celestia a run for her money in flying. At this time though, Rainbow Dash had gone back to Ponyville, since that's where she lived in the summer, and School was out for about the next month, in recognition of the Summer Sun Celebration, which was ironically enough, being held in Ponyville this year.

Night Mist had been away from flying today, and had just attended another session with his adopted sister, and cousin, Prince Blueblood. Prince Blueblood was trying to come up with new reasons as to why Night Mist should booted out of the castle, and should be stripped of the title prince, as well as his ties as Celestia's son. And time and again, Night Mist enjoyed the humor of Celestia throwing Blueblood's complaints right back in his face. He soon headed up to the library where he and Twilight often studied. He knew about Moon Dancer's party, but felt that he had some time to kill before heading there.

He looked through the books, and one title caught his attention, "Prediction's and Prophecies". He took it from the self and sifted through the pages, and saw a page that captured his attention titled "Mare in the Moon". He could have sworn that was a fancy pony tale his mother Velvet told him when he slept at her place when he was little. He was about to read up on the ledgend, when Spike walked in. "Hey Nighty. What's goin on?" Spike asked.

"Not much. You know me. can't pass up old myths and legends you find in books sometimes," Night Mist admitted.

"I figured. That's your thing. You're gonna go to Moon Dancer's party right?" Spike asked.

"Yeah, just wanted to get a quick read in. Was about to read Mare in the Moon," Night Mist stated.

"Mare in the Moon? But that's just an old pony's tale," Spike pointed out.

"I know, doesn't mean it can't be a good read," Night Mist fired back.

"Touche`" Spike admitted.

Just then, the doors behind Spike opened, and the two of them heard Twilight calling out Spike's name before she found him on the floor. "Quick, I need you to find me that book Predictions and Prophecies," Twilight commanded.

"I got it right here Twi. WOOOW!!!" Night Mist screamed as he was dragged over with the book in Twilight's magic.

"Ah, thank you Night Mist," Twilight gestured.

Night Mist was too dazed to respond. "Elements, elements, E, E, ah. Here we are, Elements of Harmony, see Mare in the Moon?"

Spike and Night Mist looked at each other in surprise at the sudden coincidence. "What does the story say?" Night Mist asked.

"The Mare in the Moon. Myth from olden pony times. A powerful pony who wanted to rule Equestria. Defeated by the Elements of Harmony and imprisoned in the moon. Legend has it that on the longest day of the thousandth year, the stars will aid in her escape, and she will bring about night time eternal. Huh! Nighty, Spike do you know what this means?!" Twilight asked in desperation.

"I don't know," Spike admitted.

"It's lunch time?" Night Mist joked.

Spike chuckled, "Good one."

"No, Spike I need you to write a letter to the princess," Twilight demanded.

"Okie dokie your majesty," Spike responded.

After stating that Twilight felt Nightmare Moon was going to escape from the moon and that Equestria was in danger, Spike sent the letter, Night Mist looked to his sister, "Don't you think you may be over reacting sis? I mean, that tale is almost as old as this castle, which is pretty old. I enjoy a good myth as much as the next pony, but I feel you're taking this too seriously."

"I never take things too seriously Nighty. We are both a prince and princess of Equestria, just like our mothers and father, and it is our job to look after the ponies we rule over," Twilight stated.

"I understand, but even so, I think you're being a little paranoid. I mean, look at it this way. Some nobles still think I am some sort of curse Nightmare Moon left behind 1000 years ago, and call me vulgar names, which still hurts some, but I learned to deal with, and also, how can a be a 1000 year old curse? I was born only 19 years ago," Night Mist assured her.

"I suppose you have a point, but I think this is something we need to prepare for," Twilight said.

"Well, I wouldn't hold your breath on Celestia. I think she will tell to stop overthinking this. Last time you did something like that, you were unconscious for 3 days. You gave us a good scare," Night Mist admitted.

"That was 6 years ago. I've made sure not to over work myself," Twilight stated.

Night Mist and Spike both chucked, before he replied, "Well, maybe after we get a reply from Mother Celestia, we should take our mind off this for a little bit, and head to Moon Dancer's party for a bit."

"I don't really think we have time for," Twilight was interrupted as a magical burst of flame erupted from Spike's mouth.

See. I knew she would want to take immediate action," Twilight bragged.

Night Mist smiled and rolled his eyes a bit. Spike read that Celestia wanted Twilight to get her head out of all the books she and Night Mist had been reading. Just as Night Mist was about to state they should go to Moon Dancer's party after reading that, Spike stated unexpectedly that the three of them should head to Ponyville to look over preparations for the Summer Sun Celebration, and make some friends there. This caught Night Mist of guard. He could understand why Twilight was being sent, since she was one of the most organized ponies in Equestria, but he wasn't sure why his mother was sending him. And making friends as a task? He wasn't sure why it would be an assigned task, but Celestia was who she was, and he would sooner or later find out the answers of the questions he was seeking. Plus, he needed to get a taste of towns outside the capital. Plus, he'd get a chance to bump into Rainbow Dash again.

After getting all of their things packed for their journey, they were saying their goodbyes to their family. Shining Armor than said, "Now, you make sure to keep an eye on our sister while you guys are there. I know the ponies might be friendly. But the Everfree forest isn't so nice. Oh, and I got something for you."

He levitated a box over to Night Mist and when he opened it, it showed a suit of armor, and Shining helped him don it. "We call it Gaia Armor. It's as light as a feather, but as hard as a full grown dragon's hide. Even a strike from the strongest hooves can't be felt when wearing this. You'll see them strike, won't feel a thing, and then next thing you know, you're airborne. I should know, cause I had one tested. Mine was made for battle armor, not the armor attire you see me in now. This is just for show, per Prince Blueblood's request," Shining rolled his eyes.

"While he is an annoyance, his fashion sense continues to surprise me," Night Mist chuckled.

"Well, at least you won't need me this time, should you run into Everfree forest trouble," Shining Armor joked.

"Yeah, the Timber Wolves won't know what bit them, er, what they bit," Night Mist corrected his joke.

Soon the two brothers gave one last goodbye hug, afterwards, Celestia trotted up to her son. "I'll be seeing you tomorrow. I know you and Twilight got this, but, even though it may sound too protective of me, please be careful and look out for each other," Celestia urged.

"Don't worry mom. You and Shining Armor taught me everything I know," Night Mist assured her.

"Yes, but not everything "we" know," Celestia admitted.

Night Mist chuckled, and soon the two had a long hug before NIght Mist mounted the carriage with Twilight, and the two took off. "Do you really think he and Twilight are ready Celestia?" Velvet asked.

"I have faith in them. They will succeed, I just know it," Celestia answered.

"I think you're right Celestia," Night Light agreed.

"I hope you're right," Velvet worried.

Soon the three ponies made their way back into the castle to take care of other task before prepping for their own departure to attend the Summer Sun Celebration.

Author's Note:

End of Chapter three. Hope you all enjoy it. We'll see what happens in chapters to follow when they arrive in ponyville and Night Mist get's to