• Published 10th Jan 2018
  • 833 Views, 9 Comments

Age of Equestria - EdofJville



The world is vast, but among its many inhabitants and nations, the pony dominated land of Equestria is experiencing a golden age. But while the tale of Princess Twilight and friends is well-known, the story of Ethereal Divide is just beginning.

  • ...
1
 9
 833

The Way Forward

The timberwolves rushed toward him with great speed and purpose, their gaping mouths baring sharp wooden teeth. There was simply no way out of this ambush. Ethereal Divide looked on in fear, frozen in place, trapped at the base of a sharp rising mountainous pillar. He could see around a dozen of them charging right at him, blocking any possible space to escape. He could only try to make a run for it and trot head on into the pack in a suicidal attempt to flee. There was no way that he could make it through this many timberwolves without being killed or severely wounded by scratches and bites, and it would only take a few of them pouncing onto his back and sides to take him down. But it didn't matter regardless. He had no time to react at this point. His body refused to budge and they had already closed the distance. He couldn't wrangle his way out of this one. There was no escaping death this time like he had back at the river gorge near the other side of Everfree Forest. He just stared ahead at the beasts who were now just feet away from him, trying to quickly accept his fate before everything ended.

A loud boom shattered the vicinity as a sudden cloud of smoke billowed out from the ground around the timberwolves. Several of them yelped in surprise and even stopped running in their tracks while others slowed down and turned around in confusion. Smoke was now enveloping the entire area where Ethereal and the wolfpack were congregated. Ethereal himself was stunned as he realized all the timberwolves had stopped running toward him and were now either dazed or backtracking. Suddenly, there was another loud explosion as a second cloud of smoke materialized over the area, serving to thicken the air even more with a dark particulate. The timberwolves reacted by instinctively crouching low to the ground and covering their eyes with their paws, yelping and whining in discomfort. This was followed by the banging of what sounded like a pot being struck by a shovel or bat and fierce unintelligible chanting.

Ethereal was reminded of the sounds he had heard a few days ago while traversing the Everfree Forest. It sounded very similar to the chanting and clanging of pots he heard then when he sensed a few timberwolves were stalking him. Was someone trying to save him? He couldn't discount the idea. In any case, this was the perfect chance to stage an escape. He had been granted a second chance at life. It was now or never. Ethereal Divide bolted out of the spot he had been cornered in, running past the timberwolves who were still slouched down covering their faces and whining in displeasure. The smoke was thick and covered a large radius. It was impossible to see clearly but he kept galloping along, trying to get as far away as he possibly could.

Eventually, the smoke cleared out as he made it a certain distance. Still galloping at full speed, he turned his head back behind him as the chanting and pot banging gradually grew quieter and quieter, fading into the environment. By now, the sun had fully set and night had fallen. There was a full moon looming above in the starlit sky. Racing through the depths of the forest surrounded by trees, Ethereal had no clue where he was going or for how long he should run. He was solely being fueled by adrenaline and a strong desire to survive. But soon, his legs started to grow weary and his hyper stamina wore out, forcing him to slow to a trot, then a casual canter. He kept moving however, not willing to stop and rest until he was safely out of the woods. He panted and his breaths were heavy as he continued to saunter along, as the trees and brush gradually started to give way to a rocky clearing ahead.

He took notice of this change of scenery. At first, he thought he had returned to the river canyon by the forest's edge again. But as he looked around, it became evident this was a different locale altogether. Ethereal stopped and gazed ahead of him as he stood by a cliffside overlooking a large basin. It seemed strikingly out of place as it was surrounded on the higher elevation by the forest on all sides. Even more intriguing was the fact that down below inside this basin, there was a wide space that seemed to house something large which reflected some of the moonlight on this clear night. He couldn't tell what it might be from his viewing angle and the distance, but he felt compelled to find a way to get closer somehow. As he meandered parallel to the cliff edges along the basin, he eventually noticed a stairway that led down into it. Despite his tiredness, he eagerly rushed to the stairs as his mind surged with excitement.

It was as if he were in the hoofprints of one of the many adventurers in the classic stories that father used to read to him at bedtime all those years ago. The brave explorer pony facing the unknown head-on, going into the most mysterious places where danger could lurk at any turn, but where there was equal chance of stumbling upon a great treasure or epic discovery that could rewrite history. Ethereal chuckled quietly to himself at the thought as he began descending down the stairway into this strange basin. Perhaps this was a lapse in judgment, but anything was better than staying above where more timberwolves could show up at a time when his energy reserves were low and he was quite vulnerable. And it sure as hell beat subjecting himself to a failed experiment attempting to draw out his nonexistent magic abilities. There was also a sense of being drawn to this place. He didn't know why, but he knew his attention was fully invested now in exploring this section of wilderness. If worst came to worst and nothing of interest turned up, at least this area would provide a safe shelter to spend the night in and get some needed sleep.

As he made it to the bottom of the stairs and began moving through the basin, he wished for once that he could actually use magic in order to light his surroundings. It was quite dark in there at night and his path was only dimly lit by what few rays of the moon's light managed to reach this far down. Undeterred nonetheless, Ethereal trudged onward in the direction of that reflective object he had seen from the ground surface. After what seemed like nearly an hour had passed, he noticed the basin led to a dead end that curved to his left, in which lied that same reflective object. The moonlight poured across the ground from whatever it was, as he approached. And what he saw when it came into view stunned him. There, towering in front of him, reflecting a large amount of brilliant moonlight, was a mystical looking tree. It was adorned with several sparkling artifacts; six in total, that were situated on each individual branch. Ethereal Divide was in awe at this sight. He had for a brief moment stepped into the role of one of those story's great adventurers. The great discovery of a majestic treasure had been made.

Just then, a sensation of being watched pierced the dreamlike nature of the experience. Reality seeped back into his mind. Once again, he was forced to study his surroundings. There was no one behind him and nothing hiding in front of him near or by the grand tree. Scouring the night sky above, nothing was flying around and no strange shadows could be seen. However, this sensation would not ease up. It couldn't be shaken off. Calm yourself, Ethereal. You're just fatigued by the evening's events, that's all. He tried to rationalize it away. Doing his absolute best to ignore the feeling, the weary unicorn moved closer to the tree to examine it in better detail. The amazing artifacts encased in its branches resemble gems or ancient runes and yet somehow, they look familiar. Where have I seen similar markings? Wait... this one... it looks like a cutie mark. They all do.... no.. this one... it resembles Twilight Sparkle's cutie mark! But how!? And THAT one! Is that Rainbow Dash's? I don't understand! How is this possible!? In the midst of his astonishment and bewilderment, Ethereal failed to notice a swift shadowy movement that shrouded his head and then disappeared.

But something else did manage to steal his attention away from the tree and its markings. A distant snarl echoed throughout the basin and the rock walls. Ethereal quickly spun around, eyes darting in all directions searching for any signs of movement. Nothing but darkness pervaded the expansive area beyond the immediate vicinity of the tree and its reflective lighting. More sounds echoed in the expanse. Wood clanking and clanging and several grunts and growls. Damn it, they're back! I can't believe they followed me all the way here after the whole smoke bombardment earlier. How did they manage to track my scent this far? His tail stiffened in tension and he could feel goosebumps across his body. Then, two yellow eyes emerged from the darkness just beyond the light of the tree. And then there were four, six, ten, and ultimately twenty. They all glared menacingly straight at him. Then came the intimidating growls and snarls.

Ethereal gulped and started to sweat bullets. Again, he was trapped. And again, he was surrounded by timberwolves. No doubt the same pack from earlier that had somehow persistently tracked him down. They must be very hungry to go to this much effort to pursue one target in a single night. They stepped one by one into the moonlight near the tree where Ethereal had huddled by. They opened their mouths, showing their razor sharp teeth, saliva dripping down their jaws, ready to pounce at any second. The pack collectively closed in, some growling, others snarling. And then, several bolted at him and lunged forward to strike, when a large shadow came down in great speed from the sky and a beam of magical light blasted the ground, blowing up a few of the timberwolves in the process. As their wooden parts scattered all over the ground, an imposing figure touched down in front of Ethereal Divide. Wincing his eyes to adjust his vision, he could see the figure was none other than a pony. His mind comprehended who it was, though it proved quite the shock.

"What!? Is that you... Princess Lu-"

The majestic nocturnal alicorn cut him off. "Indeed, it is I! Fear not, Ethereal Divide! I shall send these ruffians packing!"

With that, her horn glowed brighter as her magic aura intensified. Glaring at the remaining timberwolves who were now stepping back and whimpering, she fired another magic beam at the ground near them and they all yelped in fear and ran off back toward the entrance of the basin. Ethereal fell on his haunches in sheer relief. The danger was finally over. They wouldn't be returning after that display of force.

Princess Luna turned to face him. "That's the end of them. Are you alright?"

Regaining his composure, he mustered a reply. "I-I'm fine, princess. I don't know how you found me.... but thank you. I owe my life to you." He bowed in respect.

"Ethereal Divide, I have come for you. Your time draws near. I have seen your troubled dreams of the past and I desire to help you find solace."

She approached him with grace and purpose as he quickly rose to his hooves. "Wait... were you the voice in my recent dreams? The eyes in the moon? That was you... wasn't it?" His eyes widened in realization.

She stopped feet away from him, her enchanted mane glistening in the full moon's rays as she smiled softly, outstretching her hoof. "It most certainly was. Come with me. The answers you seek may lie with Twilight Sparkle and her friends. But first, I know of somepony who may be able to provide guidance."

He hesitated upon hearing this, not wanting to go back to Ponyville after intentionally leaving it just recently. But in light of the night he had and this reveal of Luna's influence in his dreams, his initial resistance falters. "I can't forget my past no matter how much time goes by. And not having magic or a cutie mark still troubles me, as much as I would rather not admit it." He let out a sigh of submission and grabbed her hoof.

At this, her magic aura enveloped Ethereal as she levitated him airborne next to her, simultaneously stretching her wings and flying off. Together, they flew out of the tree basin and over the Everfree Forest.

"Zecora awaits!" she exclaimed.

Ethereal Divide didn't bother to respond. He was too busy trying not to puke while flying via magical levitation for the first time in his life.

Author's Note:

Its been a long, long time I know. Life and work and procrastination kept me away for over a year and a half. But that's also an excuse. I honestly didn't feel up to the task of writing more chapters for this story for a long while. The show and our fandom's collective source material is over, but this changes nothing. I'm still inspired to write more and now I've finally taken the initiative again.

I have the ideas for my characters and where I want this story to go. Its the details in between that I need to flesh out. I'll do my best on that. To anyone who may have gotten invested in this story so far, I apologize for such a long wait. I hope posting this chapter now and future ones will bring back readers to this, new or old. While I cannot and will not promise regular updates, I do intend to write more regularly. This is the only fic I'm doing so no other stories will compromise my work on this one.

With this chapter 6, Ethereal manages to escape two more brushes with death, both at the menacing paws of the timberwolves. That cliffhanger at the end of last chapter was sort of a cruel place to leave this story hanging for so long. But hey, I hope this at least helps make up for that plus we finally got Luna's big reveal here. Next up is Zecora who will get formally involved in aiding Ethereal Divide's quest to resolve his pained past and especially that all important lack of magic thing.

And patching up things with Twilight and the Ponyville gang too. Can't forget that. But what more lies ahead? When do things really take off in earnest? Soon enough, dear reader. But not TOO soon.

I'll catch you on the next chapter sooner than later. Legit this time, I swear!