• Published 10th Jan 2018
  • 827 Views, 9 Comments

Age of Equestria - EdofJville



The world is vast, but among its many inhabitants and nations, the pony dominated land of Equestria is experiencing a golden age. But while the tale of Princess Twilight and friends is well-known, the story of Ethereal Divide is just beginning.

  • ...
1
 9
 827

What Lies Within

Princess Luna began her descent into the depths of the Everfree Forest with an increasingly nauseous Ethereal Divide in tow. She shifted her wings in a downward angle while simultaneously flapping them in order to reduce her flight speed as they neared the tree canopy and the forest floor below. All the while, poor Ethereal nervously floundered around his body, closing his eyes in an attempt to settle himself down as he was otherwise bound by Luna's magic.

"Please try to relax. We are about to land."

"Believe me, I'm trying my best to do just that, princess. I've never been levitated in mid-air flight before."
Ethereal immediately regretted talking as he held a hoof to his mouth in reaction to a puking sensation.

Thankfully though, it wasn't long after that when they came to a slow, gradual stop upon reaching solid ground inside the dark forest. The princess promptly released him from her magical grip and illuminated their surroundings by intensifying her horn's aura. As she cast her light around them searching for a marker of some sort, Ethereal took a moment to gather his bearings. He wondered what she was looking for, if anything in particular.

"Ah yes, there it is! Stay close Ethereal Divide."

He followed her earnestly, not wanting to fall behind inside these woods at this late hour. Very little moonlight reached inside the dense foliage of the forest, so her magical illumination was quite welcome. It also served to invoke inner desires of his to be able to magically light up the darkness himself. But of course, he was relying on her natural ability instead. Her shimmering mane and tail glistened in the light as she continued moving along with confidence toward an unknown destination.

However, it was soon made clear where they were headed as he noticed a treehouse adorned with masks on its exterior come into view in front of them. It was the same abode that he had passed by during his first trek through this forest on the way to Ponyville days ago. Is this the home of Zecora? He pondered over how and why she chose to live in the middle of this forest and not in nearby Ponyville alongside others. Then again, he barely knew the mysterious zebra, having only met her once in a brief exchange alongside those energetic fillies. All he knew was that she was a zebra who liked to rhyme in every sentence she spoke. The fact that a princess of Equestria was leading him to her and thought she could be of use in helping him with his struggles spoke highly of her.

They approached the door of the treehouse. Luna held up her hoof in front of Ethereal, motioning for him to hold back.

"Allow me." She knocked on the door resolutely.

Despite the late time of their arrival, it took less than a minute for the sound of a lock to be unhooked and the door to open. The light from inside the house coupled with what appeared to be the glow of a cauldron shone upon the visage of a zebra wearing earrings and a neck bracelet and sporting a well-defined mohawk. Upon seeing them, a warm smile formed on her face.

"Ah good evening, Ethereal Divide. Please come inside. And you as well, Princess Luna. Make yourselves at home, there's no need to roam."

"Thank you kindly" Luna replied.

The two of them trotted in, Ethereal carefully studying the layout of the den while Zecora went to arrange some chairs around the cauldron in the center. There were masks of all shapes and sizes covering the walls. A bookcase containing hundreds of tomes was situated in one corner, while several shelves etched into the walls housed various strange, exotic knickknacks and vials filled with different colored liquids.

Zecora motioned for them to come over by the cauldron and sit down. "Please, have a seat so we may gather and meet."

Ethereal headed over and sat down on the chair to the right of the bubbling cauldron, while Luna made her way by the chair across from him, but abstained from taking a seat. Her cordial smile vanished as a look of contemplation replaced it, her eyes focused on Ethereal briefly before gazing over at Zecora. This made Ethereal a tad bit uncomfortable, as he wondered what she was mulling over in regards to him.

"Well then, to what do I owe the pleasure of this evening's visit? Having two unique guests, I could not resist it." Zecora approached Ethereal, giving him a glance-over, before stopping beside him and turning to face the princess of the night. Ethereal was about to speak up, but Luna interjected herself.

"Pardon our late arrival at this hour, Zecora, but I've brought Ethereal Divide here because he is in need of help and I believe you can provide some valuable insight."

"Hmm, insight you say? I think I have an idea of what it might be, if my sight does not deceive." Zecora began to hover over Ethereal, examining him from all sides and angles. He did his best to retain his composure, despite being somewhat anxious at his personal space being intruded on like this.

"Princess Luna has been following my recent recurring dreams" he explained. "She thinks you may be able to find out why I can't use magic like normal unicorns. Maybe you can, but forgive me if I'm a bit skeptical. Twilight Sparkle already tried to figure it out and help me, but her experiment failed."

"Hmmm..." The zebra continued to examine his body, paying particular attention to his horn and blank flank posterior. She then prodded his horn, causing him to wince reflexively, before moving over to prod and touch his forehead, behind his ears, his neck, chest, and even lifting his tail. Finally, she ceased making contact and took a few steps back, while still eyeing him closely.

"You are indeed a curious case. I wonder if I can base your lack of magic on something more tragic."

Ethereal raised an eyebrow in confusion. "I... beg your pardon?"

Zecora elaborated, her eyes deep in thought as she spoke. "You have no cutie mark. Surely, that hasn't been a walk in the park."

"No, it hasn't. I never did get my mark. Here I am, a full grown stallion, and I'm still a blank flank. It used to be humiliating, but now I don't worry too much about it. But when other ponies stare at me, I get a little self-conscious." He shifted in his chair a bit as he acknowledged this. "But I'm not sure that has anything to do with my magic not existing."

"Ah but it does, Ethereal Divide. Magic resides in all ponies, especially unicorns, being born with horns. Your lack of a cutie mark is a remark. The connection is real, but perhaps... it is sealed." With that, Zecora left his side to fetch something in one of the etched shelves on the wooden wall.

He watched her grab one of the colored liquid vials, the one she selected being something akin to gold. She carefully removed the cork lid on top of it and returned to him, standing over his right side.

He gave her an incredulous look. "What? You want me to drink that?"

She shook her head. "Certainly not. That would be quite the rot. A sip of this could poison and clot. I need only pour a drop on your top."

Ethereal gazed suspiciously at the liquid gold vial in Zecora's grasp. "You're going to pour a drop of that substance on my head? How do you know that won't poison me anyway? And what will it even do? I don't understand."

"One drop of the golden saffron slug's slime essence will reveal your magic's resonance. An aura should appear, proving your magic never truly disappeared." Steadying her hoof, Zecora tilted the vial just enough for a single, precise drop of the gold liquid to land atop the center of Ethereal's mane. He couldn't help cringe slightly as he felt it pelt his head. It seemed to quickly be absorbed into his mane, with no other sensations presenting themselves.

An audible gasp from Princess Luna who was still standing by her chair on the opposite side of the cauldron prompted Ethereal to look up at her with concern. "What happened, princess?"

"You're glowing!" She pointed a hoof directly at him.

He looked around himself. It was unmistakable. His front and back hooves were glowing a vibrant shade of bright green. In fact, his entire body from horn to fetlocks was shrouded in this green aura. "It can't be... is this...magic?" But then, just as suddenly as it had appeared, the green aura surrounding him vanished. "Wait, what just happened? Where'd it go!? Where's my magic!?"

Luna stepped forward with vigor as her face lit up in a moment of epiphany. "So my theory might just be correct after all! It makes sense! Your magic has been sealed! That's why you cannot materialize it!"

Ethereal Divide took a minute to process what she said. "What do you mean its sealed?"

Zecora corked the vial and set it back on the shelf alongside the rest of her collection. "Sealed away with a spell, no doubt, for things were not well. Quite a mystery, perhaps even contradictory..." She turned around to face Luna.

Luna herself was analyzing the situation in her mind. She seemed to be attempting to connect dots in her aforementioned theory with this newly revealed evidence. Meanwhile, Ethereal wondered if she possibly knew more about him than she previously let on. Zecora's expression indicated she was having similar thoughts about Luna. The period of silence was broken by a sudden knocking on the door.

Zecora trotted over to the front door and pulled it open, revealing a solemn looking Twilight Sparkle. Upon seeing Ethereal, she smiled a little. "I heard you might be here. I've looked all over Ponyville and the Everfree Forest for you, Ethereal."

"Twilight, apologies for not notifying you sooner, but I wanted to make sure his arrival here was not based on rumor." Zecora patted her back in reassurance.

"Its okay Zecora. I'm just glad he's alright." Twilight slowly trotted up toward Ethereal and Luna. "Princess Luna, thank you for making sure he was okay. I feel bad for what led up to this." She averted her gaze toward the floor.

Luna lifted Twilight's face up and smiled comfortingly. "Your intentions were good, Twilight. You were just a bit overzealous with your actions."

Twilight redirected her gaze at Ethereal. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to push you as hard as I did back at the castle library. I only wanted to help you. I got carried away."

Ethereal made direct eye contact with her, unsure of what to say. His thoughts were all over the place. He hadn't been mentally prepared to face Twilight again right now, especially after everything he'd been through in just the span of several hours. It had been a long eventful day and tiredness clouded his mind. "Twilight Sparkle.... I get it. Its alright." He sighed and looked away into the distance. "I know you meant well. I forgive you. But right now, I just want to sleep. I have a lot on my mind. Zecora and Luna are helping me with my magic problem. I appreciate all of your efforts. I really do. But I need to get some sleep tonight."

"Well, if you want, you can come back to the castle and sleep there. My friends are worried about you. They helped search for you when you ran off, so they'll be glad to see you're alright." Twilight gave a slight smile.

Ethereal didn't even bother to think it over. He simply nodded. He was too tired to weigh whatever alternative options he had for lodging that night. He and Twilight proceeded to say their goodbyes to Zecora and Luna and Ethereal expressed profound thanks to both of them. As they left Zecora's treehouse, Princess Luna flew off overhead into the starry night sky, keen on resuming her dream-walking duties for the rest of the night's duration.

Ethereal Divide was greeted with a warm, happy reception from Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, Applejack, and Rarity upon returning to Ponyville and Twilight's castle. After about an hour of catching up in conversation and one too many hugs from an ecstatic Pinkie Pie, Ethereal wearily trotted inside the castle with Twilight in front of him. Parting ways at the top of the staircase to the second floor, Ethereal headed straight for his room, passing Spike's room who could be heard snoring loudly from inside thanks to the slightly open door.

As he entered his room and shut the door behind him, a thought briefly flashed through his mind. That tree...those markings. He collapsed onto the bed and closed his eyes, lifting the blanket over himself. He dozed off quickly into a deep sleep. Like always though, he dreamed again. Only this time, it proceeded somewhat differently and without the presence of a watching Princess Luna.

Father's reading another fantastical story to me as mother comes in to kiss me goodnight. I'm so sleepy and close my eyes as father's voice fades away. Then loud commotion from the streets outside. I'm awake and scared as father barges into my room and scoops me up, racing down the stairs to escape our burning house. But there they are blocking our path. Those hooded ponies have mother in their grasp. Run away Ethereal! Don't let them get you! Mother! Father! Don't leave me! I run crying and scared for dear life as the hooded ponies chase after me. All around, the city is in chaos and burning in intense flames. I trip on a cobblestone path and fall on my face. They huddle over me, their faces masked under dark cloaks. No! Leave me alone! Mother! Father! Help me!

They close in on me. Before they can grab me, soldiers rush in and a big fight ensues. I take advantage and run away as fast as I can looking back at the royal guard forces battling the hooded ponies. I run until my hooves give out on me and I collapse on the ground at the edge of town in a vast forest. Crying. So much crying that I cry myself to sleep as a thunderstorm pours rain down all around me. Its morning. I wake up and run back to the city. All is deserted. Burned buildings and rubble line the streets. A ghost town now. Nopony is here. But wait. I see a few ponies lying down on the roads. I go to check them and wake them up. Why are they sleeping on the road like that? They're not moving. Is that...blood? Wait are they.... No! I run back to home. There's my house. Mother! Father! Where are you!? I'm okay! I came back!

I see them! Wait.... why are they lying down together like that? I rush over and shake them to wake up. Mother! Wake up! Its daytime! Father wake up! I'm safe! Why won't you get up!? Why!? Then I see it. They're covered in red.... blood. Mother! Father! You're hurt! You need help! Please get up! Shaking them harder and harder. Nothing. I kick them as hard as I can. Nothing. Please..... get up. I don't want to be alone....please? I can't see clearly anymore. Tears start to flow. I cry the loudest and hardest I've ever done. NO! YOU CAN"T DIE! YOU CAN'T BE DEAD! I STILL NEED YOU! I run away again. This time for good. I'm never coming back to this city. Ever. The forest. Its the only place I know where to go. Where else is there? I cry myself to sleep again.

Ethereal Divide slowly opened his eyes as sunlight beamed through the window above his bed. He blinked his eyes several times, trying to clear the watery residue from them. His dream... his recollection of those day's events were still clear in his mind. He thought he had fully repressed that part of his memory by now. But it seemed the rest of where his recent nightmares left off was now returning to fill in the void. The forest he had escaped his destroyed hometown to became his first sanctuary in isolation. Forest....Everfree Forest. Trees.... THAT tree. I have to know. Its like its calling to me somehow.

He got out of bed with a sudden newfound purpose. I have to go back to that tree! Today!

Author's Note:

And chapter 7 is here! Even sooner than I expected! I did promise I would resume writing more chapters on a more regular basis than before after my long hiatus though. I am pleased with how this one turned out so smoothly despite all the dialog between Ethereal, Luna, and especially Zecora. All the effort to construct sensible rhyming sentences that would seem accurate and believable from her was definitely the hardest part for me in this chapter.

So now thanks to Luna's intervention and Zecora's sage help, we know our boy Ethereal Divide does in fact have magic within him. But somehow its been sealed so he can't use it! How is this possible? Zecora mentioned there possibly being a spell behind it, but who would have done such a thing to poor Ethereal and why? Perhaps even more important is when?

But now that he's patched things up with Twilight Sparkle and returned to Ponyville for the time being, what's next? Ethereal seems determined to visit the mysterious tree inside Everfree Forest's basin again. Why is that? And what answers if any could it provide him? Better hope those pesky timberwolves don't show up and try to kill him again. And what about Luna? What exactly is her theory on Ethereal? Where is this thing headed?

Patience my dear readers. The rabbit hole is about to open up and things get deep in more ways than one! The story is only just beginning in earnest for our cutie mark-less stallion. Stay tuned!