• Published 23rd Jan 2018
  • 861 Views, 10 Comments

The Conversion Bureau: Transhumanism - Leobracer



A series of short stories about a new version of the Conversion Potion that allows humans to remain human, while being able to now use magic.

  • ...
4
 10
 861

Terrance Kimberly - Laputan

A soft breeze blew across her hair as Kimberly laid down on top of a cloud.

She currently wasn't in the best of moods right now. Kimberly knew what was going to happen when she told her parents she had went to the conversion bureau to become a Laputan, but even so, it did nothing to lighten her mood. If anything it only made her mood even worse. Her parents pretty much blew a gasket at her announcement. They had wanted her to go with them on the Mars Initiative, but she refused. Despite her parents trying to convince her otherwise, as far as Kimberly was concerned, the Mars Initiative was nothing more than a pipe dream at best, and a humongous scam at worse. She had heard the news about how Princess Celestia had donated resources towards the Mars Initiative, but to Kimberly, she should have spent those resources on making human technology compatible for non-humans.

Kimberly had been studying astronomy for her whole life, and unlike that fool Elon Musk, she understood that going to Mars was far too much of a risk to take. She wanted to march up to Elon, and tell him straight up to his face that he needs to give up on his dream, and face the reality that humanity must change their bodies in order to survive the awakening of the leylines. She wasn't as fanatical as the PER or the Transhuman faction of the HLF, because she ultimately knew, and accepted that there are some people who, no matter how much evidence you try to present to them, they cannot be convinced to change their minds to accept facts, and Elon Musk was one of those people.

She tried for months to educate people on why Elon Musk's dream was impossible to achieve, but few took her seriously. A large portion of the world population had such faith in the success of the Mars Initiative, that ultimately Kimberly was forced to accept that hundreds of thousands of people had pretty much signed their own death warrants, unwilling to face reality. "Enjoying the view Terry?" She heard a familiar voice ask her.

Kimberly frowned upon hearing that voice. "You know I prefer to be called Kimberly, right Goliath?" She asked as she sat up from the cloud, and turned to the source of the voice, a pure blooded gargoyle named Goliath hovering just above the cloud.

Goliath had immigrated from Equestria many years ago. During that time, he had met and befriended Kimberly after she helped him settle in. Despite rumors to the contrary, Goliath and Kimberly's relationship never went past anything beyond friends, especially since Goliath was already married, and Kimberly was in a relationship with another woman. "I know. I just wanted to check up on you, to see if you were alright." Goliath said as he landed on the cloud that Kimberly was on.

"Tch. Unfortunately, I'm not." Kimberly said as she crossed her arms, and laid back down on the cloud.

Goliath meanwhile, sat down cross legged on another few feet away from her. "I heard that you got into a fight with your parents." Goliath said. "Is that true?"

Kimberly closed her eyes, and squeezed her hands on her arms as bolts of electricity danced across her. "My parents were never the sharpest tools in the shed, but I never thought they would be this stupid." She said with venom in her voice. "I thought they would wisen up. I thought they were smarter than this. I thought they weren't so gullible."

As Kimberly spoke, the bolts of electricity began to intensify. "I simply cannot believe they were so foolish enough to fall for the big scam that is 'the Mars Initiative'!" She shouted, as she sat up, and with a snap of her fingers, shot a bolt of lightning from her left hand.

Goliath recoiled from the sight. Kimberly was normally very calm when he was talking about things, so seeing her literally snap came as a shock to Goliath. "Honestly. It baffles me with how so many people believe that the 'Mars Initiative' will save humanity, when in reality, it will destroy humanity." She said, as she laid back down on the cloud. "The Conversion Bureau will be what saves humanity, and not some childish dream of a scammer."

"Yes, I know you've tried to explain to people why going to Mars is a terrible idea." Goliath said. "You've already told me many times over."

Kimberly let out a sigh. "I know. But I guess it doesn't matter now." She turned her head to face Goliath. "The so-called launch day is about a year away from now. And I've heard that most of the 'ships' that make up the 'first wave' are nearing completion."

"Hmm." Goliath hummed as he nodded his head.

For a few short minutes, the two just stayed on their clouds, not bothering to speak up. "So that's where that bolt came from." A new voice said.

That helped to lighten up Kimberly's mood. "I was wondering when you would show up." She said as she turned her head to face her girlfriend, Veronica Osborne.

As Veronica fluttered her energy wings to land on the cloud, Kimberly stood up, and walked up to her lover to give her a kiss. "I guess I'll leave you two alone for now." Goliath said, as he took off from his cloud. "Catch you two later."

"See ya Goliath." Veronica called out to him.

As Veronica waved out to Goliath, Kimberly cupped her cheek. "So what brings you to Cloud Nine, Verri?" She asked.

Veronica held onto Kimberly's arm as she looked into her lover's eyes. "I just wanted to make sure you were alright. What with what happened with your parents and all." Veronica answered.

That statement caused Kimberly's smile to disappear, and she removed her hand from Veronica's cheek. "I guess, wanting people to wisen up is just too much to ask for I'm afraid." Kimberly said as she walked away from Veronica to sit on the edge of the cloud.

"I know that you want people to research about the difficulties that the Mars Initiatives will face when it launches, but really though." Veronica said as she sat down next to Kimberly. "Its rude to tell people to 'wisen up'."

Kimberly glared at Veronica. "Is it really being rude when what you're trying to tell people is the truth?" She snarled.

"The problem is Kimmy, is that people want hope." Veronica replied, not raising her voice. "Further more, the way you've been trying to tell people about this whole thing is quite off putting."

Kimberly snapped her fingers again, causing a few sparks to flare up in front of her. "You know, normally I'm really calm about this, but because this has been happening for months now, I've pretty much lost my patience about the Mars Initiative." She said rather bluntly.

"Yeah, I noticed." Veronica said. "Like how I noticed how disrespectful you were towards Tomas when he announced to everyone at work that he was going on the Mars Initiative."

Kimberly squeezed her hands again on her arms. Of all the things for her girlfriend had to remind her of, it had to be that. Tomas was her employer at work, and when he announced that he was going to step down, and let Kimberly take over... Well, what she did afterwards made her almost lose her job. Tomas had taught her everything that she needed to know at work, so naturally she looked up to him as a mentor, and when he announced that he was going to partake in the Mars Initiative, she panicked. She tried to get him to change his mind, but he made his decision quite clear: he and his family were going to Mars, and there was nothing she could do to change his mind.

Kimberly loosened her grip and let out a sigh. "I'm sorry." She said looking down and placing her hands on the cloud. "I guess some things just can't be helped."

Veronica reached out to hold Kimberly's hand. "I know that Kimmy." She said trying to reassure her. "I know."

As the two looked down at the Earth from their cloud, Kimberly interlocked her fingers into Veronica's. Together, the two watched the beautiful sunset in a way they never thought was possible before becoming Laputans. A moment later, Kimberly moved in closer to Veronica, allowing the latter to rest her head on the former's shoulder. "Want to go out for dinner, Verri?" Kimberly asked.

"Sure. Why not?" Veronica asked, as she and Kimberly stood up. "If it'll get your mind off of the Mars Initiative."

As the two sprouted their wings from their backs, Kimberly let out a chuckle. "It already has." Kimberly replied.

With that, the two stepped off from the cloud, and with a flap of their wings, began flying back down towards the ground.