• Published 23rd Jan 2018
  • 861 Views, 10 Comments

The Conversion Bureau: Transhumanism - Leobracer



A series of short stories about a new version of the Conversion Potion that allows humans to remain human, while being able to now use magic.

  • ...
4
 10
 861

Father Richard Edmond - Nephilum

The wound closed beneath the soft blue light that came from Richard's hand.

While he was initially hesitant to take the Transhuman Potion, he felt that he could do more if he had the ability to use magic. Most people who became Nephilum chose to use their magic for mundane purposes. Others went to either join the military or law enforcement upon becoming Nephilum. Then there were people like Richard, who chose to use magic to heal other people. Most of them were doctors who worked at hospitals. Father Richard Edmond meanwhile, was a priest at the local Catholic Church. He felt that by becoming a Nephilum, he could do more in the Good Lord's name by using his magic to heal people. Following his announcement that he became a Nephilum, many people came to him for healing.

This however, was not one of those times.

The HLF had just recently attempted to bomb the Conversion Bureau where he had become a Nephilum. The vehicle that was speeding towards the building however had exploded before it could reach it. Whatever the reason didn't matter to Robert, all that did matter was that he helped as many people as he could. "I've managed to close up the wound on your leg, Allen." Richard told his patient. "But I'm afraid that your leg bone was damaged in the blast, and I wasn't able to fix it. I'm sorry."

"That's okay Father." Allen, a man he knew from church, said. "As long as I'm still alive to see my family, that's all that matters."

"Get some rest, Allen." Richard said. "You're gonna need it when the paramedics arrive."

"I will Father Richard. God Bless You." Allen said as he laid down.

Richard then stood up from where he was to look around the parking lot for more people to treat. Richard had been on his way to mass when he saw the explosion. Despite knowing full well that he wasn't going to make it, Richard decided that these people needed his help. Many of them had been waiting for their appointments, while others were just finished with their appointments. Fortunately for Richard, he wasn't the only one healing people with magic. There were other Nephilums as well as Unicorns helping out as well.

Moving on to a nearby woman, Richard used his magic to heal her hands which had been hit by shrapnel from the explosion. He carefully removed the shrapnel from her hands, as he simultaneously closed the wounds. Once he was done, the woman thanked him, and Richard moved onto the next person who was nearby. This man had gotten a head wound, and while Richard knew he wouldn't be able to fix his eye, he was able to at least close the wound, and remove the shrapnel. Being able to do two things at once was an advantage when it came to magic. Richard spent the next ten minutes working along side his fellow Nephilum, and Unicorns, to save as many people as possible when the paramedics arrived, along with the police and firemen.

Upon their arrival, the paramedics thanked everybody who was helping out in the parking lot, and relieved them. The police meanwhile, surrounded the vehicle that had the bomb in it, while the firemen dosed the flaming wreckage. As the paramedics gathered up whatever injured people they could find, Richard made his way to his car. He checked his watch, and found that by the time he got there, mass was most likely going to be over, but he figured he might as well get there anyway.

The drive to the church took a little bit longer than usual because of the bombing, and by the time he got there, the parking lot was almost empty save for a few cars. His fellow churchmen were standing outside of the main door when he parked. After turning off his car, and stepping out, they all walked up to him while he walked up to them. "We heard about the bombing, Father." One of the priests, a young man named Harold, said. "Did you-"

"Yes son." Richard said before Harold could finish. "I did. It was also why I wasn't able to make it."

"I see." Harold said.

"Were you able to save any lives?" The nun named Emily asked.

"Not as many as I wanted, but yes, I was able to save some lives before the paramedics arrived." Richard replied.

That came as a relief to his fellows. "That's good to hear, but we have to ask." The other priest, Jacob, paused before finishing. "Did you run into any of those... HLF people there?"

Richard closed his eyes for a brief moment, remembering the times some HLF members berated him for his decision to become a Nephilum. They told him straight up that he didn't deserve to call himself a 'Man of God', believing that what he did went completely against the will of the Good Lord. Richard was not a man to mince words, and told them that they had no right to tell him such things when they were responsible for the deaths of many people who chose to convert to a new species. "No, I didn't thankfully." Richard answered, opening his eyes. "I feel that I've dealt with them too many times already, Jacob."

"So have we, Father." Harold said. "Those people tried to stir up a storm during today's mass."

"We had to finish mass early, because without your guidance, we wouldn't have been able to stop a fight if it broke out." Emily said, solemnly.

"That's alright, Emily." Richard said, putting his hand on Emily's shoulder. "So long as nobody got hurt, you three did the right thing."

Harold, Jacob, and Emily bowed in respect. "Thank you Father." Jacob said. "By the way, your wife is inside. No doubt she’ll want to have a few words with you.”

Richard gave a nod in response. "Thank you for letting me know Jacob." he said. "You all head home now. I'm going to need some time alone with my wife."

"Sure thing, Father Richard. And God Bless You." Jacob said, as he and the other two made their way to their cars.

Richard meanwhile entered the church. Upon entering, he spotted his wife praying in front of the alter. Richard's wife was a Pure-Blooded Pegasus, named Wind Dancer, who had immigrated from Equestria a few years after what became known as 'The Event'. She was originally part of an exchange program that had to be cut short when it was discovered that the high concentrations of magic in Equestria was poisonous to humans. While many had been happy that Richard had found love, others were not so when they found out that it was with a Pegasus. Harold, Jacob, and Emily were the only members of the Church who supported his love for Wind Dancer. The others left for other churches in disgust for Richard's so-called 'Bestiality'. Regardless, Richard felt that it was the will of the Good Lord that his love would be with Wind Dancer. "You're late." Wind Dancer said without looking behind her.

"I know." Richard replied. "I won't lie Wind Dancer. But I feel that I had to do something for those people who were injured in the attack."

Wind Dancer raised her head to look up at the cross. "As long as you saved lives, I can forgive you for not showing up." She said. "But still, it was incredibly risky, as the HLF have been known to gun people down after bombing a bureau." The mare added as she turned her head around to face Richard.

Richard shuddered at the thought, as he knelt down next to Wind Dancer. "I know that, Wind Dancer." He replied, as he began his prayer.

Recently, when the 'Transhuman Potion' was announced, the HLF had started been getting bolder on their attacks on the Bureaus. Word was that Princess Twilight Sparkle had thought, that with the announcement of the 'Transhuman Potion', that it would lessen the opposition towards the Bureaus. While many had jumped at the chance to be able to use magic, without changing their bodies, there was still opposition towards the Bureaus. In fact, the 'Transhuman Potion' had actually caused the organization to split. There were those who were willing to become Nephilum, Gaian, or Laputan, only to use their magic against non-humans, and then there were those who said that those who took the 'Transhuman Potion' were not truly human. "Its a tragedy really." Richard spoke. "It saddens me that even with the world as we know it nearing its end, we are still divided by our petty differences."

"And even when a solution is offered to them, they reject it." Wind Dancer said. "It pains me to know how stubborn people from both sides can be."

"Indeed." Richard replied.

For a few more minutes, Richard and Wind Dancer remained in front of the alter, praying for the lives lost in the attack earlier that. Upon finishing, the couple stood up from where they were and made to leave the church. Before reaching the exit, Wind Dancer perked up. "Oh, that's right. I just remembered something." She said as she walked off to the side.

Richard, meanwhile, watched her enter the storage room where they kept the Bibles. A second later, the mare stepped out with a staff in her hoofs. "I went to the Enchantress the day after you became a Nephilum." Wind Dancer said, as she walked up to Richard.

Intrigued, Richard took the staff out of his wife's hoofs, and examined it. "You got this for me?" He asked.

"Yes Richard. I did." Wind Dancer answered. "It took the Enchantress a few months, but she was able to get the materials needed to make the staff, and inscribe the right enchantments on it to make you a better healer."

Richard looked at Wind Dancer, his previous sadness being replaced with happiness. "I can't imagine this thing must have been cheap." He said as he tapped the tip of the staff.

"It wasn't." Wind Dancer replied. "Had to spend about two months worth of rent in order to get the Enchantress to make the staff to the specifications I gave her."

Before she could react, Richard had gave Wind Dancer a hug. For a brief moment, the mare was shocked, as Richard rarely ever hugged her. "Thank you, my love." Richard said.

A second later, Wind Dancer returned the hug. "You're welcome." She said.

They kept the embrace for a few seconds before separating. "Let's go home. I imagine the foals must be waiting for us." Richard said, standing up, and walking towards his car.

"Right behind you." Wind Dancer said as she walked right next to him.