• Published 1st Mar 2018
  • 386 Views, 17 Comments

The Confession of an Ardent Heart - SpitFlame



Nova Tale—an impulsive and sensual stallion—squanders the money entrusted to him by his fiancé on another mare, a dangerously attractive mare. He finds himself tormented by his conscience. Drama of the philosophical sort ensues.

  • ...
3
 17
 386

Chapter 1: Bent on a Promise

It was a warm, bright day at the end of the month. Nova Tale had received a letter that late evening, requesting his presence, for a second time, sooner rather than later—signed by Sunlight Ivory.

But Nova, in going to see Sunlight, to whom she had "ordered" her feverish need of his presence sent and whom she bade to not forget their promise, was at that moment running in terrible disarray. He had quite forgotten this promise, which explained the need for a second letter.

"What vague and grandiloquent letters are common in Canterlot!" muttered Nova in a quick breath, as it were, to himself. "Oh, full of nothing but sentimentality. I can't forget, not again, not now."

This Sunlight Ivory of ours just so happened to be Nova's fiancé, a beautiful mare in her own right. To speak of history in its proper place, she had begun to date a former lieutenant of the Royal Guard, Nova Tale. This decision was done to the horror of her family, or at least to the horror of her stiff-lipped parents. She was a strong-hearted mare, readily bent on making herself known, and many guessed she began dating Nova out of a decided spite, to dance around the structures of society. But that is mere semantics.

Her parents were currently in Manehattan, and she was now staying with her two aunts. One of them was the aunt of her sister Pearl Light; this was the sort of meek pony in her father's house who had looked after her together with her sister when she had been home. But now she, too, was away.

Luckily the sun was still up, albeit waning, when Nova entered the front hall and asked the chambermaid to announce him. His arrival was already expected. Did they see me from the window? went through Nova's head. In any case, Nova heard some hoof-steps, the rustle of curtains, and some voices: perhaps somepony or other ran out. It seemed strange to Nova that his visit would cause such a stir.

He was shown into the drawing room: it was large, filled with elegant and abundant furniture. There were many sofas, seats, tables large and small; paintings on the walls; vases and flowers, and so on.

In that very moment the portière was raised and Sunlight came in with quick, hurrying steps, and with a joyful smile wandered over to Nova, embracing him momentarily.

"Glad you're here, Nova. You were supposed to come yesterday. Here, sit down."

"Ah, forgive me. I was stuck with my brother at his house; we were, er, accounting for certain promissory notes. But all that ought to be finished. Ha, ha!"

A maid brought in a tray with two cups and a tea kettle and set it on the table.

"So, Sunlight, what is it you need me for? I'll do anything, or course; my last tear is for you, that was the promise."

"You don't need to strike me with your typical imperiousness, Nova," said Sunlight, a sarcastic little smirk appearing on her lips. "But, if you have to exaggerate all that pride, at least bow first."

"Ah, Sunlight, you slit my soul like a razor sometimes," said Nova, with feeling. "There's so much to get through, although I'm not entirely sure where to start. Well, we can start with your request. For you, dear, I'll get it done, down to the last stroke of it, and if I can't get it done, I'll drown myself today, that's it!"

Nova broke off with "that's it," absurdly enough, and jumping from his seat he awaited an answer.

"Not so loud," said Sunlight in titters, although tones of reproach rung in her voice. She went over to a cupboard, opened the topmost drawer with her magic, and pulled out a rectangular package, small and wrapped over several times, with an enclosed paper note taped on top. She placed it in Nova's hooves.

"Hmm, this is very light. Do you need me to make a delivery? Yes, of course, a delivery, this must have been what your letter alluded to."

"That's right. My sister, you know her, she's in Baltimare at the moment. You've been to Baltimare before. Can you take a gander at how much is in that tiny box?"

"You mean it's money?" Nova shook the package, but nothing sounded back to him.

"It's one hundred thousand bits."

"One hundred thousand bits? A tenth of a million?" he babbled over. "Well—ha, ha—whatever you say, Sunlight."

"I'm quite serious, Nova. I'm sure you're well aware of the newly released platinum coins just last year, worth one thousand bits each. Thank Celestia for economic booms, or that package would've been much heavier. I've put a whole hundred of those in there, secured in a lot of bubble wrap. You got to keep things like these safe."

"That is indeed amazing, Sunlight," Nova uttered, sitting down clumsily. "Yes, I recall the platinum coins, although I've never set eyes on them before. Well then, so that's how it is; this is what you meant in that letter of request. Where to?"

"I've always admired your promptness," said Sunlight in a breathy, even sugary, voice. She drew closer to Nova. "Look, darling," she said again, giving him a fixed look, "there's been some trouble that sprang up in Baltimare. I mean, my sister, she's not doing well."

"How horrid!" exclaimed Nova. "I have always said that realism inflicts the greatest tragedies on our lives."

"What? No, look, she—"

"My sweet Sunlight, say no more. The rose has met the fire, things are unwell. I will go there as hastfully" (he truly said 'hastfully,' not 'hastily') "as my legs dare to carry me."

"Nova," interposed Sunlight, "my sister's caught some kind of brain fever, or so the doctors claim. She's in the hospital. I received a letter from my mother this morning informing me of the situation, along with the package. A portion of the money is to handle the medical expenses, the rest is to pay off some of the things she's ordered for the shop. She's a fashion designer, in case you forgot. But..."

"But what?"

"That's not the promise I'm holding you on. My parents—they're unable to lend the money from where they're set, so they're counting on me, I mean, they only trust me with the money. But again, that's not the promise. There's something else."

"I can only imagine that you must be in a most desperate position, that if I do not help you, everything will fall through. Forgive the triviality of the expression, but I feel the passion renewed between us. Thank you, Sunlight, for adding to the ever-expanding pool of purpose in my life!"

"You always go on like that," sighed Sunlight, a weak, half-hearted smile spreading across her face. However, it seemed that a grey shadow passed over her. Nova hardly noticed this when he walked in, but her countenance in particular resembled a sort of sullen disposition.

"Oh, you know me too well!" said Nova, in order to say something.

"You've always got these little poetic flourishes on your mind, that's what I mean. Look, Nova, you don't need to aim so high above the clouds that you can't see your target. I want things between us to get better. I want this to get better."

"I..." Nova paused and blinked, as if coming to his senses. "I understand, Sunlight dearest. Your father has not stood on any magnanimous grounds with me."

"I... what does that word even mean?" Sunlight tilted her head.

"The fair unfairness of life, that's what. I promise to cast away any and all regrets, to atone for any and all sins. Here"— taking the package, he stuffed it inside his saddle bag —"it's as good as delivered, right there with your sister. Oh, I know, I know; you could hardly be in any other state of spirit, and whatever you may say, I know everything beforehoof." He started reaching down to kiss her hoof. But she pulled back.

"I understand, too," she said amiably, but not without an evident sense of trepidation, but one she did not try to conceal, one sprung from goodwill. "Take the money to my sister in Baltimare, I myself am going to be very busy here; I've got my own clients I need to attend to. The family business won't hold on its own in Canterlot. But I need you to promise me something." She leaned forth and planted a kiss square on his lips. "Be careful."

"Oh, that's all? Well then, of course I will 'be careful,' that is, why wouldn't I take care of myself? Like I said, Sunlight, this money is as good as in your sister's pocket. For you, my dear, worriment is the last thing that will be invading your heart."

"Yes, I know. I mean be careful with the money." Saying this, she placed her hooves on his shoulders and lowered Nova to her eye-level. There was a strange light that gleamed in her eyes, too. "Promise me that you'll be careful with the money, and—"

"Why, I would never lose the money. Not for you, my dear."

"Be careful with the money, and by extension with yourself," she finished with reserve; she kissed him once more. "I love you, Nova. I'll be waiting. Oh, and one more thing: I've already prepaid for your own cart; it's waiting at the train station. Just look for the cart covered with a rug, and the coachpony: his name is Cloudbuster. Now go."

Nova got up at once, gave her a deep bow, and took off, remarking: "There's blood in my heart, Sunlight: I love you very much, too. I ought to be returning in a day, at the most two—strike me down if three! Farewell."

A certain silence hung in the air when he closed the door. Sunlight sat there, arraying her own thoughts; she was conscious of boundless resolution, making her aware of her own dubiety. For a second a little joy sprang up in her heart, surprisingly enough.

The maid walked in, who had been involuntarily listening to the conversation; she cast a glance at the tray she set down moments prior.

"You weren't in the mood for tea, mistress?" asked the maid.

"I'm in the mood for something else," said Sunlight, with the same good-naturedness that had just characterized her conversation with Nova. "Leave the tray there. I'll get to the tea soon enough. In fact, could you fetch me a paper and quill? I need to write a letter."