• Published 28th May 2018
  • 410 Views, 0 Comments

Book 3 The Shadows [OUTDATED] - Penelope Anne Ink



[OUTDATED] Starry Emerald tries her best to make up for the trouble she caused for Edgy, but Edgy has other concerns.

  • ...
 0
 410

Chapter Eight

Tempest Shadow was a little nervous.

She normally had a lot of confidence and could easily come off as intimidating, but she wasn’t her “normal” self. It had been weeks since her reformation but she was trying to relearn about herself as well as pony society. She hadn’t lived with ponies since she was a filly, and there were some habits and customs that, while they seemed familiar, were long lost skills to her.

First, adjusting her eyesight to the colors. It seemed like a dazzling array of rainbows everywhere she walked.

Second, ponies were more talkative and chatty. The storm guards were nearly silent except for random noises and the other creatures she lived with before were only there to speak in rude comments and gruff commands. Having ponies talking about their lives in all its mundaneness was odd.

Third, she decided to take off the armor of the Storm King. She kept the fabric that was underneath and resewed it to look more normal. She didn’t want to go entirely naked. She didn’t understand how ponies could feel so comfortable without anything on most of the time.

She even tried to get used to her real name again. She felt like if she was going back into pony society she would take on her old pony name.

Fizzlepop Berrytwist.

It seemed like a weird name now. Her friends used to think it was awesome when she was younger. Now it struggled on its way off her tongue and she had to stop herself midway through introducing herself as Tempest a few times.

She was trying to be polite and nice and friendly to all the ponies she came across, but it was still second nature to her to be a bit gruff and she nearly scared a small filly when she tripped over the filly’s toys out in the street and nearly said something she shouldn’t have.

She wanted to spend this time getting to really know Equestria again before she stepped foot around her old friends. She was worried what they would think of her and if they would even remember her.

She thought about the only pony she had really spoken to for the past few years.

She winced. That hadn’t turned out well either. She was nothing but a murderer. And it left an ache inside her that she had done that to a pony slightly younger than her that had looked up to her.

Her friends may have abandoned her but they didn’t leave her to die. Although, they might as well have, emotionally.

A few months of her living off her surroundings and she finally decided to see Twilight Sparkle and reunite with her old friends. Twilight was the Princess of Friendship after all, and was more importantly a friend to her.

It felt good knowing she had at least one friend for now, even though it was a little embarrassing that they hadn’t met under better circumstances.

She got herself on board the Ponyville Express and went on her way.

The train ride was long, but she could daydream. She may be harsh, but she also always had her head in the clouds. She was brave and always believed in doing more and more, always going forward. She wouldn’t consider herself a dreamer, but she did have an adventurous and resilient spirit.

She looked outside the train window and could see her own reflection.

Her scar was a constant reminder of how her risk taking led to more misfortune than she would have liked, but it was easy to forget it in her hope for a better future.

It was humbling. Having to go from her no nonsense, mighty stance on top of the winning party taking over Equestria, to being some common pony.

A pony with no family and only one friend and an endless and miserable track record.

She was more eager and excited to meet up with Twilight Sparkle. Rumors had preceded her on her journey and Twilight already knew that Tempest was coming and had Spike accompany her to the station.

They greeted Tempest...Fizzlepop...warmly and started walking her around town. Some ponies were curious to see what new character appeared in the Mane Six’s lives, but others were trying their best to act natural and leave the scene.

Tempest...Fizzlepop...noticed, anyway. Spike and Twilight were already so used to it they would have never noticed.

They were taking a turn around some of the neighborhoods when Tempest thought she saw a familiar pony. He was covered in saddlebags, but he seemed to have the right height and color...

But it can’t be. He’s dead.

With her training, she knew how to pretend she hadn’t noticed. She didn’t want to bring this up to Twilight Sparkle. Talking about old filly friends that she hadn’t seen was one thing, but totally taking out another pony was another, and not something she wanted to explain out in public like this.

They made their way to the Castle of Friendship and saw the others from the Mane Six.

“You’re lucky you came when you did. It’s a school holiday,” Twilight excitedly explained.

Rarity was inspecting her notebooks and turning back toward a project she was working on. It was a beautiful new scarf. With a brilliant strand of gems lining it in chevrons near the ends. It didn’t look like it would be comfy, but Rarity let the newcomer try it on and it felt like paradise. It was going to be a present for Sweetie Belle, who had just helped another pony get their mark, and whom Rarity still felt like she was neglecting, sometimes.

Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy were talking in another hallway. They were always close friends. One gentle and the other bold, but always looking out for each other since fillyhood. It was a bond that anypony, including Fizzlepop could see and she felt a little bittersweet at the thought of having such a bond.

Applejack was taking a nap on her throne with her hat pulled over her face. The dirt on her coat was easily visible and a twig or two was sticking in her hair. She had spent a long day on the farm before this and deserved the nap.

Pinkie Pie could be heard and not seen. Smells of freshly baked goods wafted from what must have been the kitchen down the hall.

It all felt so natural and homey that Fizzlepop felt like she could be comfortable. She had spent enough time out on her own that she felt less self conscious, even though it wasn’t entirely gone.

Twilight once again asked her about the names of her old filly friends, and upon hearing their names, Twilight looked a little confused.

“Hmmm, well, Pinkie Pie knows everypony so I’m sure she’s seen them before.”

The three continued walking into the nearby kitchen. The new unicorn could see cakes piled up to the ceiling in a disorganized array, still managing to stay in their spot without collapsing or intermixing with each other. And they all smelled and looked delicious.

A particularly beautiful red velvet cake was nearest the door. The icing on it was perfectly uniform, with blue spirals over a delicate pink. She felt mesmerized looking at it, and ended up not hearing the first time Pinkie Pie addressed her.

Funny, with her usual instincts she wouldn’t have missed such a loud and high voiced call, she thought, before answering the pink pony with her friends’ names.

Pinkie Pie looked up thoughtfully. Her mane picked up a spoon of batter in another upcoming cake and she licked it before placing it back into the bowl, much to Twilight’s dismay and her companion’s bewilderment.

“Uh, I don’t know. I think I may know someone who would know though!”

She bounced back to the oven to pull out another glorious cake. Her new observer wondered where all the cakes would be going, but her question was answered when Pinkie bolted an entire cake down as they headed out the door.