• Published 26th Dec 2017
  • 570 Views, 4 Comments

Heart of Shadow - OblivionShadow



Twilight and her friends rescue a stallion that has been pony napped. They don't know that they are running to aid a myth.

  • ...
2
 4
 570

Just a Myth?...

“Twilight, are ya sure that we are goin’ the right way? That pony in the village didn’t seem real sure.” Applejack voiced to the purple Unicorn. The orange earth pony looked uncertain as they walked.

“I know they seemed a bit...unsure. But I'm certain that if we keep searching we will find this pony they say got pony napped.” The mare looked over her shoulder as she spoke.

The mares looked up as Rainbow Dash came back to them and pointed. “Well, I did find a camp of some ponies and griffins. I didn’t get to close so I didn’t see this black pony they mentioned.” The blue Pegasus with tri-colored cutie mark said to them as she hovered.

“You didn’t see anything?” Twilight asked her.

“Nope. But I had to stay pretty high up. They are out in the open, no trees or anything to hide behind. So how are we gonna get close to them?”

Twilight stopped and looked thoughtful. “Are they in a clearing?”

“No. A ravine.” The pale mare replied.

“A ravine?”

“Yup. The bottom of a steep cliff. Its really high on one side.”

The lavender mare paused. “Why in Equestria would they be at the bottom of a cliff?” She thought aloud.

“Perhaps when we reach them we can see the reason.” A white Unicorn mare with three diamonds for a cutie mark spoke up as she set a hoof on the others shoulder in support.

“Yeah. Can’t be a good reason though, if they are pony nappers.” A bright pink mare spoke up as she bounced up to them, 3 balloons on her rump. “Maybe they were wrestling with him and the ponies that saw it were confused?”

The others looked at her and Applejack slapped a hoof to her forehead at her friends words. They walked in silence and reached the lip of the cliff that Rainbow had mentioned. The mares gazed over the side and saw a small camp of ponies and a few griffins. Twilight’s horn lit up and pair of binoculars appeared in front of her. She brought them to her eyes and she scanned the area. She counted 10 Earth Ponies, 6 Griffins, and 1 Unicorn. She frowned as none of them appeared to be the right coloring for the stallion that was pony napped. She was about to put them down when she saw a pen with a pony laying inside it. She focused on it and gasped when she found the pony they were looking for. He was about Luna’s height and he was being held down by stakes in the ground with ropes over him, holding him on the ground. But that was not what caught her attention. There were spotlights around him. He was bathed in constant light and he wasn’t moving.

She sat back and Applejack took the binoculars and looked down. “What in the hay?” She handed them to the others and looked to Twilight. “Why are they holding him down like that?”

“I’m not sure. Maybe its a form of torture?” She said back to the orange mare, who cringed. “It’s warm out but not sure how that's meant to hurt him. Unless they aren’t giving him food or water.”

Fluttershy cringed and looked down to them. She yelped and began frantically pointing back to the trapped pony.

Twilight took the binoculars and looked back to find that one of the griffins hop the fence and advance on the pony. She pulled back as the griffin reached out and struck him with it’s fore-claws.

“We have to hurry and help him. Come on, girls.” She said and took off running along the cliff edge. “I really wish I had brought Spike. I could have asked for some help.”

“We can take ‘em.” Rainbow said to her from above.

“Thats not what I’m worried about Rainbow. Its that fact that they are starting to beat him that worries me. We have to hurry.” She explained.

The mares found a route that allowed them to go down the cliff side to the bottom of the ravine. They looked around the corner and found that the pony had been left alone once more by the time they reached the bottom. Twilight went over her initial count and found that nothing had changed., None of the tents held others and the ones that she had seen before were gathered around a dying fire to chat. She looked up and found that none of them seemed worried about being caught or even putting sentries out to watch out for others. She leaned back as an idea hit her.

“Girls, gather around.” Twilight said and began to explain her plan.

Applejack came around the bend and walked slowly up to the camp. A yell went out and several ponies came up to her. She stopped and waited for them to approach.

“Well, well. Looks like a little girl is lost.” One jeered at her.

The mare said nothing in reply. They surrounded her and she waited. “Ah’m not lost. Ah’m here for mah friend.” She informed them.

“Your friend?” A green stallion walked up to her. “And who is your friend?”

“Yer holding ‘im over yonder.” She said and pointed to the stallion.

They looked behind them, then back to her, and then they began to laugh. “I think your a bit confused, pretty thing. That one is no ponies friend.”

“Ah am not confused. Ah came ta get ‘im.” She said and raised her head to look at them. “Ah ain’t leavin’ without ‘im.”

“Well then you are welcome to join him. We could all use a bit of...female company.” He said to her. He advanced on her and reached out a hoof to grip her fur. “Pretty little thing like you made a mistake coming here all alone. After we get what we want from you, then maybe we will stake you out with your...friend.”

Applejack chuckled and pushed his hoof away from her. “What make ya think ah’m alone?” She said and a shrill whistle escaped her.

They looked up as a large dust cloud came around the bend on the path. Four more ponies appeared and the group realized that there were more hidden in the dust cloud. They pulled back as Applejack turned and sent the leader rolling with a powerful buck to the chest. He rolled back, gasping for air. The others turned as the orange mare kicked another of them and they fell back as magic began to be fired upon them from the purple unicorn in the group. The only Unicorn in their group charged forward and fired back at the mare who made a shield to protect them as they galloped. He fell back as the white Unicorn in the group began levitating items and throwing them. Rocks and other items from their camp were lobbed at them. Several ponies and griffins yelled as they were struck. They couldn’t see that the cloud of dust was being made by a Pegasus hidden in the cloud. Her ability to handle the dust was due to her own training as a weather mare.

Twilight reached the camp first and she met up with Applejack as the farmer punched another pony and set him rolling. “Ah gotta admit ah wasn’t sure bout this plan a yers.” She panted out as she kicked another. “But it seems ta be workin’ out.”

Twilight panted as she nodded, then went back to assaulting them with bursts of magic and helped drive them off. Once they were gone Rainbow let the dust cloud go and landed.

“That was sweet!” She yelled and punched the air. “Did you see their faces when we came around that corner?” She laughed heartily, a wide smile on her muzzle.

Rarity cringed as the dust settled on her coat. “Oh, how vile.”

“Yes Rainbow we did. Now come on. Pinkie stop bouncing around him.” Twilight walked up to the pen and pushed the door open. The vibrant pink mare jumped back and waited with her other friends. She looked at him and saw several deep gashes in his chest, face and girth. His horn was black until halfway up, which then changed to a brilliant blue, unlike her own there was no spiral to it. She cringed as she saw that the ropes were dug into his skin and blood leaked slowly from them. Her magenta aura pulled the stakes out of the ground and began freeing the motionless pony.

The last one was pulled from the ground and a whip of pure darkness lanced out and struck the lights, shattering them. Twilight yelped and crouched down as the shattered bulbs went out, casting the area in shadows from their stands. She looked out from behind her bangs as the stallion lunged to his hooves and shook. Deep cuts went over his body as black blood trickled over his fur. Twilight stood up and stared as his fur began to shift and a shadow like smoke began to come off of his fur. His eyes were a luminescent blue and stood out brightly against his dark fur. He backed up and stood in the deep shadows of the cliff face. Twilight waited for him to speak or do anything. As soon as he was covered in shadow, he stopped moving and stared back at her. The others walked up to stand with her and a loud snarl cut through the air. White fangs jutted from his mouth as his lips pulled back to reveal his teeth. Twilight and the others yelped as a pair of dragon like wings pulled from his back and extended.

Even Rainbow yelled and jumped back at the impressive sight. Once they were far enough back the wings lowered and the pony seemed to calm slightly. Twilight looked to her friends. “Okay, every pony just stay back a bit.” She looked back to him and waited for him to relax. The mares waited in silence as his snarl died out and his wings relaxed on his back, falling to their place at his sides.

Those weren’t there when he was laying there. When did they...?’ Twilight thought to herself and shook her head to clear it before she addressed him. “I’m sorry that we startled you. We received a notice from the nearby village that somepony had been pony napped and that he needed help.”

A startled sound came from the stallion and he tilted his head at her. “Some pony called you about my abduction?” His voice was quiet, but Twilight could sense the strength under it.

“Yes. When we got here the ponies of the village told us where to go, roughly. My friend Rainbow Dash.” She pointed to the blue mare, who gave a sheepish wave of her hoof in greeting. “Spotted this camp from the air and led us to it.”

The stallion gazed back at them, his gaze looking for signs of deception. “By the Shadows, their serious.” He muttered to himself. A shot of pain went through him and he groaned as he sank to the ground, landing on his left side. The purple mare gasped and started for him. He snarled and bared his teeth at her, stopping her in her tracks. She backed up and regarded him, worry in her gaze. He looked over himself and found that the wounds were slowly healing, but he still needed to give them time. He needed to divert the ponies till he had enough strength to leave them. At the moment he was vulnerable, and he was well aware of it. He glanced back to them and noticed that the pink mare was missing. He looked to the right and found her muzzle touching his own. His eyes widened as he stared at her. His body stiffened and he reached out with his own magic and vanished.

Pinkie looked around at his sudden disappearance. “Where did he go?”

Twilight looked around. “Pinkie! What did you do?”

“I didn’t do anything. He went Poof!” She laughed.

Twilight glowered at the mare.

“He’s over there, dear.” Rarity prodded her and pointed to one of the tents.

Twilight looked over and saw him standing inside the tent. She loped over to him, but slowed when she heard a low wheezing. She stopped as she realized that she was hearing his breathing. He collapsed back to his side and panted, his tongue out of his mouth as he pulled in air. The unicorn waited as he recovered and the others sat down just behind her.

“Are you all right?” Her voice was quiet as she looked at him.

He panted and his eyes looked to her. “Stay away from me.” He snarled.

Twilight glared over her shoulder at Pinkie, who looked away, whistling. “I am so sorry about that. But are you okay? Do you need some water?”

The black stallion shifted and pulled his legs under him, trying to make himself more comfortable. He had used what little strength and power he had when that mare had startled him. No pony had touched him since before he could recall. He panted as he let his head fall to the floor as he rested. The purple mare waited for his reply. He raised his head and looked to her with a sigh. “I would appreciate some water.”

Twilight gave a smile and her magic reached for the canteen behind him and she filled a cup with a glass of water for him. Her magic held it in front of him and she gaped as shadows reached out and held the cup as he drank from it. He set the cup down and lowered his head back down to the rug in the tent.

“Whats your name?” Twilight asked.

He glanced at her and considered for a moment before answering. “I don’t have one.”

The mares gaped as he spoke. “You don’t have a name?” Pinkie shrilled. “Or do you want us to guess?” She bounced on her hooves. “Smokey? Blacky? Oh, what about...” Applejack stuffed a hoof in the pink mares mouth.

“Thank you.” He said to the orange mare. “None of those are my name. I was not joking when I said I do not have one. I have never been given a name.”

“Yer parents didn’t name ya?” Applejack asked as she let go of Pinkie’s mouth.

“No. I do not have...” He stopped as he was about to babble details that they did not need to know about him.

The mares seemed to be waiting for him to say more when instead he remained silent. “Are yer parents gone?” The orange mare asked him.

“No.” He responded.

Twilight set the canteen down and waited. “Off topic. May I ask what kind of pony you are?”

His head lifted suddenly, startling the mare. ‘They came to get me and have no idea what I am? That makes no sense.’

“You came to free me, but have no idea what you came to rescue?” He asked them.

“We were told that a pony was being pony napped so we came to help.” Twilight said to him.

He stared at them and a smile tugged at his mouth. A quiet chuckle escaped him which slowly grew into a laugh. He held his face in his forelegs as he laughed. “By the Shades, you have no idea.” He said through his laughter.

“Umm...No.” Fluttershy said to him from her place behind Twilight.

He looked up as his laughter died out. “Well, I’m glad we could entertain you. But how about you answer the question?” Rainbow chided him.

He shook his head. “Well, I will inform you what I am as thanks for the laugh. Its been a while since I had a good laugh. My breed is a Shadow Walker. We have many names but that is the one I hear most often.”

Twilight’s eyes widened and she sat down heavily. “A Shadow Walker?” He nodded.

“Ya know what that means, Twi?” Applejack asked.

“They are so rare that they are kinda like a myth.” She replied and looked over her shoulder to the others. “I never thought I’d ever meet one...you...Sorry.”

He chuckled. “Its fine.”

“But nothing I have ever read or heard said you were an Alicorn.” She said to him as she faced him once more.

He shrugged. He left out a critical detail in his explanation, deliberately. The last thing he needed was them changing from friendly to predatory.

“How many of you are there?” Twilight asked.

“More than ponies think.” He replied.

She stopped and considered him for a moment. “Are they all able to be captured?” He started and a growl started. “Oh sorry that came out wrong!” Twilight yelled and covered her face with her hooves. “I meant could others have been captured?”

He calmed and relaxed. “No. Not that I am aware of.”

She relaxed at his easy tone and put her hooves down. “I am so sorry. I didn’t mean it the other way.”

“I understand that. You already apologized and I accept that.”

“So why don’t ya have a name?” Applejack persisted.

He sighed. “As I stated before. I was never given one.”

“A Shadow Walker isn’t born, right?” Twilight supplied.

“Correct. We are not born of ponies. We are created.”

The mares all tilted their heads at his statement. He sighed and prepared to explain. “We are created by the Shadows. Which means that we do not have a parent to name us. We are what we are and nothing more. It is our breed, title, and name.”

“So we could call ya Shadow Walker?” Applejack said to him.

“I would rather you didn’t. Not all ponies are as...friendly as you are. You saw her reaction upon hearing what I am.” He pointed out as he indicated Twilight.

“I don’t know a lot.” She admitted. “But you have already disproved a few facts.” He waited for her to explain. “For example. A Shadow Walker kills ponies.”

He blinked several times, a grin pulled at him and then he erupted into laughter once more. He laughed as Twilight blushed and hid behind her hooves once more. “That's a myth.” He replied through bouts of laughter.

Twilight looked to him as they waited for him to calm. He breathed and righted himself, due to rolling onto his left side. “Oh, that's a good one.” He inhaled and then exhaled as he pulled his hooves under him once more. “What else have I proven wrong?”

Twilight looked at him. “That Walkers always bring pain and suffering.”

“Hah!” He barked a laugh, but composed himself. “Thats a half truth.”

“How so?” Fluttershy asked.

“We do show up when there is pain and suffering, thats true. We are drawn to it. But we do not cause it.” He paused as he considered something. “Well...Not deliberately.” He added as an afterthought.

“Deliberately?” Rainbow tossed in, drawing his attention.

“We do show up. But it’s not to cause suffering. To be more clear I have a question first.” He said, interrupting his explanation. “What do your books say feeds a Shadow Walker?”

“You mean what do you eat?” Twilight asked and he nodded in response. “Ummm...well...”

He paused as a grin crossed his muzzle. “Don’t tell me...The flesh of ponies? Maybe foals and virgins?” Twilight flushed. He snorted a laugh. “Well. Thats a fun one, isn’t it?” He shook his head. “No, we feed on the shadows that birthed us and on the pain and suffering of those around us.”

The mares gaped at him. “You feed on pain?”

“To be specific we feed on the feelings behind the emotion itself. Think of how it feels when pain is caused. That is what we feed on. The stronger the emotion the better, the best are emotions that are linked to suffering. Despair being one of them. It feeds us and gives up increased power and strength. It can also regenerate our bodies should something happen.”

“So yer healing while sitting in the dark?” Applejack pointed out.

“Yes.” He turned his head and they could see the healing wounds on the side of his neck. The shallow cuts were almost fully healed. “Our power draws from the Shadows and the Darkness.”

Fluttershy walked up and halted by Twilight. “So your wounds will heal on their own?”

“Yes. Given some time. That is why they kept the lights on me. It interfered with my healing ability.” She supplied.

Twilight grimaced. “Thats cruel. Why were they hurting you?”

He paused. “They wanted information about my kind. I refused to give it.”

“So they were torturing you?” Rarity asked, her voice held concern.

“Essentially, yes. Though their methods were pretty sub par I have to admit. I have survived far worse.” He scoffed at the memory.

“You have been captured before?”

“Yes. Though it was a very long time ago.” He replied. “Anyway to finish your question from a moment ago. We show up when there is pain and suffering and in doing so if we are seen we tend to cause a bit of a panic. So it can make things worse. Its a side effect of being made of Shadows and what not.” Pinkie suddenly jumped at him. Rainbow grabbed a chunk of her tail and hauled her back. “Thank you. I don’t have the energy to Shift again. So I would appreciate it if you would refrain from touching me.”

Pinkie frowned and sank to the ground. Twilight regarded her for a moment before she looked back to him. “Shift?”

“Its what you might call a teleport. I have magic but I rarely use it unless its needed. I Shift into the Shadows and appear elsewhere. Normally I can use it for long distance. But I don’t have the energy at this time.” He explained.

“So your magic is used as a last resort?” Twilight asked.

“Basically yes. Its an inherent skill to every one of my kind. Not all are as proficient as others. It depends on several factors.” He explained further.

“You mentioned that not all are Alicorns.” He nodded. “How many are Alicorns?”

Shit.’ He thought to himself as he appeared thoughtful. “I don’t have an exact number. I rarely see any of my own kind.”

“Why not?” Pinkie asked. “Are you all fighting? Not time for a reunion? Or is it...” A whip of darkness surrounded the talkative mares mouth and clamped it shut.

“How do you put up with that?” He asked Twilight, who giggled. Shadows covered his horn as it controlled the long strand of darkness. “My kind are territorial. We don’t tolerate each other well. Since we are not born we have no need of a mate so we avoid each other at all costs. Most have a set territory, so it’s easy to avoid.”

“Wow. So ya never seen yer own?”

“Oh. I see them every now and then. But I wander. I don’t have a territory.” He supplied.

“Why not?” Pinkie asked, once he released her mouth.

“Its not my thing. I prefer to move around as I see fit.”

“Are you the one that protects them then?” Twilight asked.

His head snapped to her and stared at the mare. “I suppose that is known as well then?”

“Not really. Its only in a hoof full of books but I remember it.” She relied.

He sighed. “One of my kind must have been talkative then.” He growled and shook his head. “Yes. That is what I do. I suppose informing you of this is fine then. There is only ever one Shadow Alicorn. He is the one that protects the others and keeps our secrets.” He advised, having given up on keeping that to himself.

“So you are a protector then?” Rainbow asked, he nodded in reply. “Thats so awesome.”

He raised an eyebrow at her then gaze a short chuckle. “I suppose it could be that way to some.”

Applejack scooted up to sit with the others and held out a hoof. He looked at her. “Ah figure we out to introduce ourselves. Ya may not have a name but that don’t mean Ah should be unfriendly. Ah’m Applejack.”

He looked at the offered hoof and then back to the mare. “You weren’t being unfriendly to begin with.” He said to her, but gripped her hoof with his own and shook it.

“I’m Rainbow Dash.” The blue mare was next.

“Pinkie Pie.”

“Fluttershy.”

“Rarity.”

“Twilight Sparkle. Just Twilight is fine.”

“Pleasure is mine.” He said to them after finishing shaking their hooves.

“We need to think of a name for you.” Pinkie said and her mouth closed when a growl from him silenced her.

“Its fine. I have never had a name so it is not required.” He advised them.

Twilight sat closest to him. “Well how about we just call you something easy?”

“Such as?”

“Well you are a protector...so...Guard?...No, that sounds ridiculous.” She looked away as she thought it over.

“What about Guardian?” Fluttershy said to them.

The others spun to look at her. “Thats a good one, Flutters.” Rainbow said, genuine praise for the shy Pegasus.

Even the black Alicorn nodded. “Well then we can call ya Guardian then?” Applejack said to them.

“Its kind of a mouthful, though.” Rainbow criticized. “But it could work.”

“Well lets think a something ta go with it?” Applejack added.

“Onyx.” Rarity said. “Onyx Guardian.” The mares and stallion looked to her once she finished her declaration. “He has no other coloring aside from that lovely black with blue eyes and he is a guardian.”

“That's perfect Rarity.” Twilight said to her friend, a wide smile on her muzzle. “Will that be okay?” She asked him.

He regarded them as he thought over the name he had just been given. “It certainly fits, I suppose. It will be fine. But I have to ask, why bother naming me?”

Twilight smiled. “Well, if we are going to ask you to come with us while you recover then you need to have a name.”

He started. “Come with you?”

“Ponies are after you for some reason, right?” She reasoned. “Then we need to find out why and help you to not be hurt.”

I am well aware of the reason.’ He reasoned to himself. “I can understand that, but that does not mean I need to be supervised. Besides I will recover in a few hours.”

“I don’t mean your wounds. I mean your magic and the Shadows you use.”

He looked back to his body and the shadows that came off his body were weak at best. “Damn.” He looked to the mares and found warm smiles being sent his direction.

“Can you change your appearance?” Twilight asked him.

“How do you...Oh, I see.” He answered as her meaning caught on. He closed his eyes as his horn was covered in darkness, which then crawled over his body. His wings were absorbed into his back and his horn shortened to appear more normal, his mane and tail turned the same blue as his eyes and he became a bit shorter in height. He opened his eyes which were still the vibrant blue and he climbed to his hooves. “Is this what you meant?”

Twilight stared at the transformed Shadow Walker and nodded. “Yeah, thats perfect. I had no idea you could change your form like that?”

“There are a lot of things that are unknown about my kind.” He said to her as he looked himself over. “I haven’t used this form in a while, so it might take a moment to get used to.”

“All righ’. Ya ready ta head for Ponyville, Onyx?” Applejack asked him.

He looked to her and considered for a moment. “I suppose I am, though how do we plan on getting there? From what I recall that town is a considerable distance.”

“We have our rides waiting in the village. Once we get back there we will get a ride home.” Twilight answered him.

He didn’t move for a moment as the mares walked out of the tent. Twilight stopped when she realized he was not with them. She opened her mouth to call out to him as his horn was covered in darkness once more. She looked around as the shadows around them began to shift and churn. They streaked across the ground to the black unicorn and he absorbed them as they reached him. They watched as he finally walked out to join them. He walked up to them and paused as they stared.

“I wasn’t fully healed. So I absorbed the shadows around us to help with that.” He explained.

“Are you all right now, dear?” Rarity asked him.

“No. I’m still not healed but I suppose to keep with the story of being pony napped that is a good thing.” he replied to her.

“But yer still injured.” Applejack said as she looked him over.

Several cuts still slowed on his fur and patches that the ropes had chafed were still raw. “I am, but its nothing that will slow me down.”

Twilight gave a grim nod and the mares led him back to the village. Onyx walked with them as he got used to the smaller form he was in. Rainbow bumped him at one point and he stumbled. He snapped at her and snarled, his ears pinned.

The pale mare stared at him in surprise. “What?”

“I asked that you not touch me. Please refrain if you will.” He replied as he started walking ahead of them.

“He did mention that, darling.” Rarity said as she trotted to catch up to the stallion.

“Touchy.” Rainbow muttered.

The mares trotted up to him, though they made sure to give him space. The village showed up on the horizon and Twilight broke into a smile. “There it is. Don’t worry, soon you will be able to sit down and rest, Onyx.” He nodded his thanks, but stayed silent. “Oh and we will stay close to stop them from mobbing you.”

“Mobbing?”

“Yep they said ya were pony napped so they wanna see ya.” Applejack explained.

The black pony looked to the village, with what could be called an expression of dread. “Fabulous.”

“No worry sugar cube. We’ll stay with ya.” The orange mare said to him. She reached out her hoof to him to pat his shoulder when she paused, then pulled back. “Ah almost fergot. Sorry sugar.”

“Its fine. I’ll try to get used to it in time. But for now I appreciate the effort.” He said to her, trying to set her at ease.

“Your nice to her, but you growl at me.” Rainbow griped.

Onyx turned to the pouting mare. “You nearly knocked me off my hooves. I think that earned you a larger reprimand.”

Twilight and the others giggled as they entered the town. The mares surrounded him as ponies looked up to them. He lowered his head to try to stay put of fight as long as possible.

“Miss Twilight?” A Pegasus guard approached them and gave a polite bow to the mares. “Did you find any...pony?” The golden clad pony looked at the black pony in the center of them. “He the one that was abducted?”

“Yes. This is Onyx Guardian. We drove off the abductors and helped him escape. Now I plan on taking him to Ponyville to recover.” Twilight informed him.

“Good to hear that you were able to rescue him. Princess Celestia was right to ask you for help.” He said to them.

“Incoming, Onyx.” Rainbow said to him.

He looked up as several ponies saw him and approached. A young filly raced up to them. “You found him...Thats not him.” She had a light pink coat with small wings on her back. Her bright teal eyes shone at them.

“What do you mean, dear? Thats the pony that they rescued.” A mare with similar coloring approached as well.

“The pony I saw was taller and had smoke coming off him.” She explained.

Shit she saw more of me than I thought.’ Onyx berated himself for not sensing her when he felt Fluttershy push against him. He turned to her to find her trying to push back against several ponies who wanted to check on him. He bit back an angry snarl at the pleading look on the shy mares face. He moved away from her to try to help but she stumbled he tried to get under her to hold her up but missed and landed on her. The mare yelped at his sudden weight and he tried to push off of her. He looked up as several ponies touched his fur and he snarled as his horn flared and he Shifted to a patch of shadows, off to the side. Pain pulled at him from the use of his Shadow abilities. The form he had taken was not designed for their use, so it caused strain on his form. Twilight yelped as she suddenly found him gone. She looked around and saw him off to the side. She teleported to him and stopped in front of him.

“Onyx, are you...Eep!” She yowled as he lunged under her belly.

“Thank the Shadows.” He muttered.

Twilight looked down to scold him until she saw her shadow undulating as he absorbed strength from it. “Oh.” She looked down to him as his eyes widened.

“Shit.” He said as he looked past her to the crowd that had found where he was hiding

She looked to him, she reached out and gripped his fur, her horn flared and she teleported both of them to the carriage that the guards had pulled. She spun and sat down in front of him, trying to hide him as much as she could. Fluttershy got out from under the ponies and flew to Twilight, half to help hide him and then to hide herself as well. The others got away from the crowd and ran to the guards and into their chariots.

“Please head for Ponyville.” Twilight urged them.

They lifted off and the Pegasus headed back the way they had arrived. Twilight looked back to Onyx, who had his hooves over his eyes and groaned.

“Onyx?” She asked.

“Yes?” He croaked to her.

“Are you all right?”

“I’ll be fine. Simply have never been teleported before. It was a bit of a shock.” He admitted as he looked up from behind his forelegs.

“Are you in the shadows enough? I can move...” Twilight asked him.

“I’m fine. I apologize for jumping underneath you. I was a bit desperate.” He apologized to the purple mare.

“Its okay. I was a bit surprised, but I understood it when I looked at you.”

“I appreciate the understanding. Using my abilities outside of my true form is taxing.”

“Are you in pain?” Fluttershy asked as she looked back to him.

“Nothing that I can’t bear with for a bit. As I said it is a bit taxing in this form, but it will fade in time. The longer I am in the shadows the better.” He said to the pair.

Fluttershy extended her wings and held them over his back, making sure not to touch him. He glanced over to her and gave a thin smile. The other mares had climbed into the other chariot and waited.

“He okay, Twi?” Applejack hollered.

“He says he’ll be okay.” Twilight yelled back.

“Tell ‘im ta rest up on the way back.”

Onyx sat up, moved Fluttershy’s wings away for a moment, and glared over to them. “I can hear you just fine.” He barked at them.

The others all looked away, sheepish at the stallions glare. Onyx went back to hiding behind Twilight and waited as Fluttershy put her wings back over him. He sighed as he let the light shadows from the two mares go over his body. He let his eyes close as he pulled the shadows to him, after several minutes he allowed himself to doze off.

Author's Note:

So this has been a concept that i have had in mind for a few years. Onyx is a different type of OC then my others. He is far older than the main 6 but he still has humor and is not above having a bit of fun at another expense. He is opinionated and strong willed, bordering on pure stubbornness. He does leave them to watch over his own kind but normally he is not far from the main 6 and Spike. He is an Alicorn, but his power is limited to the shadows he commands and his own strength.