• Published 19th Dec 2017
  • 878 Views, 4 Comments

A Pony Christmas Carol - ShadowBrony928



I'm a big fan of A Christmas Carol and simply could not stand the show's take on the Dickens classic so here's mine

  • ...
 4
 878

Chapter 1: Bah, Humbug

To begin with, Trixie Marley was dead. Dead as a doorknob. There was no doubt about it. The only one to show up at her funeral was her business partner, Starlight Scrooge. Perhaps her passing on Christmas Eve was a bad omen. Then again, perhaps it was just a coincidence.

Regardless, time had passed and, for seven years, Scrooge hadn't changed a bit. She was always quite the grumpy one, indeed. This showed in how she treated other ponies as well as how she carried herself.

It was Christmas Eve exactly seven years since Trixie Marley's death as Starlight was working hard as usual. Also hard at work was her clerk, Twi Cratchett. It wouldn't be long until Starlight's own niece, Jackie.

"Merry Christmas, Aunty Starlight!" the orange mare exclaimed walking in with a bright smile on her face right up to her aunt's desk

"Bah!...Humbug..."

"Christmas a humbug? Now y'all can't possibly mean that"

"Oh I do..." Starlight said coldly "Merry Christmas eh?...what right have you to be merry? You're poor enough."

"Well what right do y'all got to be so grumpy? Yer rich enough."

"And what IS Christmas to you? A time for paying bills without any money? A time for finding yourself a whole year older and, yet, not an hour richer? Well if I had it my way every foal who goes about with 'merry Christmas' on their lips would be boiled in their own pudding!...and buried with a stake of holly through their heart...so I ask you niece...you keep Christmas in your way and I'll keep it mine..."

"But y'all DON'T keep it!"

"Then let me leave it alone then!"

"Well, I for one love Christmas. It's a time to spread joy and cheer! A time to enjoy one another's company! And so, though it may have never put any extra bits in mah saddlebag, I'd say it's done me good and WILL do me good...so I say again, Merry Christmas, Aunty!"

Twi smiled hearing her employer's niece give her speech and applauded before being given a glare from Starlight as her applause slowed "one more sound out of YOU, Ms. Cratchett and you'll be spending Christmas on the unemployment line!"

"Y-yes, Ms. Scrooge"

"Now don't be so hard on Twi like that. It was my speech"

"Indeed. You're quite the speaker aren't you? A shame you never went into politics"

"Well tomorrow night we're throwin' a little get together. We'd love it if y'all would come"

"I wouldn't set foot in your dreadful home...tell me Jackie...why DID you marry?"

"Because ah fell in love of course!"

"Because you fell in love?...good afternoon" Starlight would say with her usual coldness

"Now Aunty...why do ya always gotta be so crossed with me?...I never ask anything from ya...I just don't understand why we can't just be friends..."

"Good afternoon." Starlight would reply more sternly than before

Jackie would just sigh "Well a Merry Christmas Aunty"

"Good afternoon!" she'd reply with an almost yelling tone

"And a happy New Year!"

"GOOD AFTERNOON!"

"And a merry Christmas to you too Twi."

"Merry Christmas Jackie" Twi said with a smile as Jackie would see herself out, smiling herself

Starlight groaned in annoyance "well it's about time!..."