• Published 11th Dec 2017
  • 689 Views, 6 Comments

Filly Games - Waxworks



Twilight Velvet has a close call and brings a new doll home for her daughter. The doll is more than it appears to be.

  • ...
0
 6
 689

A Rest Follows

Twilight Velvet hugged her husband, Night Light, and started crying anew. The entire crazy night came back to her in full and she just held her husband tight and cried. Night Light held her until her sobs subsided, and she spilled the whole story to him. He listened, stroking her mane as she sobbed out the story, hiccupping in between sentences. When she was done, he wiped her tears and kissed her on the forehead.

“It’s okay, dearest. You’re home. The detective took care of Smart Shot, and you’ll never have to worry about her again. You’re safe at home with your loving family,” Night Light said.

“I know. I know. I was so scared I wouldn’t see you or Shiny, or little Twilight again.” Her voice rose and she broke out into sobs again. Night Light held her and waited for her to calm down again, softly stroking her mane.

“You’re here, okay? Everything is fine. Shining Armor and Twilight are asleep in their rooms, and I’m here with you.”

“I want to see them,” Twilight Velvet said, wiping her eyes and holding back a hiccup.

“Then come on.” Night Light helped her to her hooves and they walked upstairs to their foal’s rooms. He opened the door to Shining Armor’s room, and Twilight Velvet rushed inside. She lifted up her son and hugged him, who groggily squeaked in protest.

“Mom? Whaz… what–” he felt her tears on his coat and stopped talking. He hugged her back and let her hold him.

“I love you Shiny. Don’t forget that.”

“I won’t...”

“You go back to sleep now. Mommy’s okay. I just needed to hug you.”

“Okay…” He lay back down on the bed, watching his mother as she stood up and walked out of the room. The door closed, and he was left in the darkness again.

Night Light then took her by the hoof and led her to Twilight’s room, where the younger filly slept with the door cracked and a night light glowing nearby. Twilight Velvet crept inside, but didn’t lift up the young filly like she had done with Shining Armor. She stood above her and looked down at her, smiling softly to herself. She leaned down and kissed her lightly on the cheek, then held up the stuffed toy the detective had given her from the toy store.

“Shiny believes he’s too old for dolls, but I want you to have this, little Twilight. A reminder to me that everything could be taken away in a moment, and I should treasure each moment I have with you.”

She placed the doll next to her daughter, and the filly reached out and grabbed it in her sleep. Twilight Velvet smiled at the sight, and crept back out of the room. Night Light put a hoof around her withers and the two closed the door quietly, then went to their room. They crawled into bed and enjoyed each other’s warmth as the cold night passed, snow covering up the night’s events in a chill blanket.







While the others slept, the doll Twilight Velvet had given to her daughter turned its head. It had a thick yarn mane that fell over its button eyes. Its lower half was made of polka-dotted fabric, giving it the appearance of wearing a pair of pants. It lifted itself up and looked around the room, softly lit by the night light on a dresser in the corner. It raised a hoof and looked at it, then felt its forehead. It slammed the tiny nub down onto the bed, and tried to stand up. The sleeping filly next to it, reached out and grabbed it tight, pulling it close. She rubbed her face on it and mumbled. Defeated, the toy went limp and stared at the ceiling as the night crept past.







“Mommy, Daddy, Mommy, Daddy! Look who came to me last night!” Twilight Velvet’s daughter, Twilight Sparkle, came rushing down the stairs, holding her new toy in her magic and waving it about.

“Oh, I see that! What a nice new friend you’ve made.” Twilight Velvet placed some pancakes on a plate and patted the seat in front of it. Twilight Sparkle jumped up and placed her new toy next to her on the chair.

“Mmhmm! Her name is Smarty Pants, and she’s my new friend.”

“Smarty Pants? Well that’s a very fitting name.”

“Now is that because she’s smart and wears pants, or are her pants smart?” Shining Armor asked.

“It’s because she said so. She’s smart and wears pants. I bet she studies a lot just like me!”

“If she’s so smart, does she know what an arctic slime’s weakness is?” Shining Armor asked.

“I know that one!”

“I know you know, but does Smarty Pants know?”

Twilight Sparkle ducked down and whispered at Smarty Pants, she put her ear up next to the toy then raised her head again. “No, she doesn’t.”

Shining Armor shrugged. “Not so smart then, is she?”

“That’s okay, because I can help her study!”

Night Light, sitting at the other end of the table with his horn sticking up from behind a newspaper, snorted with mirth. Twilight Velvet chuckled, and Shining Armor groaned.

“Looks like you’ve encouraged your daughter to study even harder, Twilight, dear,” Night Light said.

“Well, that just means she’ll be a shoo-in to get into Celestia’s school for gifted unicorns. You know the entrance exam always changes. She’ll need that kind of skill when it comes time.”

“Mom, you know she doesn’t get out much. This is the opposite of what she needs!” Shining Armor said.

“Oh, hush. She has you. Just be a good big brother and encourage her.”

Shining Armor frowned and went back to eating his pancakes. He looked over at Twilight, eating her own and pretending to share with Smarty Pants.

“I’m heading out now,” Twilight Velvet yelled from the front door. There’s still a lot to do before Hearthswarming. Nighty, make sure the foals have their things for school. Shiny, make sure Twilight gets to school, okay?”

“Yes, Dear.”

“Yes, Mom.”

The door slammed shut and Twilight Velvet was gone. The rest of the family ate their breakfast in near-silence. Night Light grumbled under his breath about things he read in the paper, and Twilight kept talking to her new toy.

“What is your opinion on Starswirl’s fashion choices, Smarty Pants? The bells are a nice touch, but they are completely superfluous. They might even have been distracting during spell casting what with all the noises they must have made.”

Shining Armor watched his sister chatter away and smiled ruefully. She was smart, that was for sure, but having a pony she could chatter away at about everything she read, even if it was just a stuffed toy, might hinder her ability to talk to normal ponies. He would try his best, but he just hoped it would be enough.

“Alright, kids.” Night Light shut the newspaper and folded it up, then placed it on the table. He stood up and went to the counter where ingredients for sandwiches had been placed, but not prepared. “Let’s get you off to school. Sandwiches are for lunch. Shiny, do you want more or less mayonnaise?”

“Less, please.”

“Twilight, how about you?”

“More, please.” Twilight pulled Smarty Pants closer to her ear for a moment, then said, “No, mayonnaise is delicious, and it’s my sandwich, not yours. You won’t have to eat it.”

Night Light turned to look at her. “Who are you talking to, sweety?”

“Smarty Pants. She said mayonnaise is an abomination before the princess.”

“Did she? Do you still want more mayonnaise on your sandwich?”

“Of course! I love mayonnaise!”

“Okay then. But don’t complain when your lunch has mayonnaise on it.”

Night Light finished preparing the lunches and put them in the two foals’ saddlebags. He lifted them up and put them on their backs as they came to stand before the front door. He bundled them up in their winter clothes, making sure they both had a scarf and earmuffs. He kissed them both on the head, with Shining Armor fixing his mane immediately afterward and Twilight holding up Smarty Pants for one, which he gave.

“You kids have fun at school. Your mother and I are taking you out for dinner afterward, so be home quick.”

“We will!” they said.

They trotted out the door and Shining Armor plodded ahead down the street. He led the way to school, checking both ways before crossing the street. He made sure Twilight was behind him at all times, and held her hoof when the morning crowd got hectic.

Twilight, for her part, bounced Smarty Pants along beside her with her magic, and laughed at secrets and jokes she shared with her new toy. Shining Armor had to smile despite himself.

They were passing the police station when Twilight suddenly shouted “Stop!”

Shining Armor turned around, confused and alarmed. “What? What happened? Are you okay?”

“I’m fine, but Smarty Pants wants to look at the police station.”

“What? Why?’

“I don’t know, but she says she knows somepony in there. Do we have time to stop?”

“We really don’t. We’ll only be a half-hour early if we stop. You don’t want to push it, do you?”

“No, you’re right.” She held the doll up in front of her face and frowned. “Sorry, Smarty Pants. We can look some other time. I need to study before class.”

Shining Armor smiled a rueful smile. “What got you so interested in the police station all of a sudden? Want to become a guardspony like me?”

“Ew, no. I told you; Smarty Pants was interested, not me.”

“Of course, sorry.”

They arrived at school and Twilight and Shining Armor went their separate ways for class. Twilight put down her book bag and pulled out her books, then began reading. Nopony else was in the classroom yet, so she and Smarty Pants were alone.

Smarty Pants turned her head to Twilight and looked up. “So, you’re seriously gonna just study, eh? I’m gonna go back and have a look at that police station, awright?”

Twilight didn’t turn away from her book, far too engrossed in it to pay attention to anypony else. Smarty Pants stared up at her a moment longer, then pulled herself out of the bag. She dropped to the floor and began trotting across it. She looked back up at Twilight once to see if she noticed, but she didn’t. Smarty Pants shrugged and moved on.

She made it to the edge of the room and peered out the door. There was a single pony walking down the hall, but otherwise it was devoid of life. Twilight had arrived plenty early to ensure she had time to study whatever it was they were working on that day, so Smarty Pants had a clear shot to the doors.

“Sweet Celestia what a nerd. At least this works in my benefit.” Smarty Pants trotted down the hall and reached the front doors. She pushed on them, but they didn’t budge. “Aw, fuck. Come on. This tiny body can’t even open doors? Where’s that earth pony strength I always heard so much about?” She struggled with it again, and managed to swing it open just enough to slip out. She was about to dive outside when she heard a voice outside. She panicked, looked for somewhere to hide and couldn’t find anywhere nearby, then settled for dropping limp.

The doors swung open, and two mares walked in. One of them almost stepped on Smarty Pants before she noticed. “Oh?” She picked up the toy and walked inside. The doors swung shut and Smarty Pants cursed as she was dragged along. “This early before class I bet I know who you belong to.”

The mare walked back down the hall to the classroom Smarty Pants had just left and held up the toy as she entered. “Twilight Sparkle, is this yours?”

Twilight didn’t look up from her book.

The mare sighed and walked over to Twilight’s desk and placed Smarty Pants on top of the book Twilight was reading. “Does this belong to you?”

“Oh! Smarty Pants!” Twilight looked up at the mare. “She does! Where did you find her?”

“She was just inside the front doors of the school. I know your books are important, but you wouldn’t want to lose a toy. Do keep track of your things, Twilight.”

“I will, thank you.” Twilight held Smarty Pants and looked down at her bag. She took one of her books and opened it, then put it in her bag, and placed Smarty Pants in the bag facing the open book. “There you go. You can read instead of getting into mischief, okay Smarty Pants?”

The mare smiled down at Twilight and went back to the desk at the front. She pulled out her own books and began setting up for class.

Twilight continued her studying even as the rest of the fillies and colts started filtering into the classroom. A couple of them said hello to her, but Twilight was absorbed in her book and didn’t respond to most. Twilight kept reading and studying until the teacher began the lesson.