• Published 20th Jul 2012
  • 2,290 Views, 25 Comments

Living Elements of Harmony: Neo Elements - Intellect Stretcher



The Elements of Harmony are born into ponies for the first time ever. And that brings about terrifying consequences.

  • ...
2
 25
 2,290

Reminded of Truths

--[20 years ago]--

“Hurry up, Red Star! I wanna see-I wanna see!” little Twilight hopped and fussed impatiently to her teacher as she was too short to look through the large window they both were hiding behind. They were waiting patiently for their plan to get into motion, but Red Star was the only one with the binoculars as well as the good view inside princess Celestia's personal chambers.

“Patience, my adorable apprentice,” Red Star chuckles, spying at the highest tower in Canterlot. “We have to wait for Celestia to get in her room first,” she says.

“Do you really think she'll fall for it, Red Star?” Twilight asked, her excitement refusing to falter.

“Heck yeah she'll fall for it! I just hope you did a good job with the trap.”

After a few minutes of watching, Red Star sees the princess enter her room. “Ooo! There she is,” Red uses the binoculars to focus on Celestia.

“Really! What's she doing? Is she going for it?!” Twilight loudly whispers, remaining still, scared of what can happen if something where to go wrong.

“Not yet,” Red tries to remain focused and hopes the plan works.

Celestia appeared to be in a very calm mood. What's more is that she looked rather happy and excited, a quality Red Star rarely ever sees in her nowadays. Which, in Red's mind, only makes this prank a lot sweeter.

Eventually Celestia sits in her old fashioned coffee table and looks about ready to have her lunch, a very large chocolate cake.

Red's grin starts growing, “hehe, I knew she wouldn't resist the cake!”

“She's going for it?” Twilight started hopping in excitement again, “Red Star, let me me see, pleeeease!”

Red Star lifted the little filly with her magic so she can see through the window. “There you go, sweetheart,” she said, handing the binoculars over to Twilight, “watch and see if all those hours studying will finally pay off.”

Twilight can see that Celestia was just about to enjoy the booby-trapped cake. The princess looked very eager to eat it. Awaiting with great excitement, Twilight watches as Celestia cuts a slice of cake and puts it in a plate. In her head, the little filly is urging the princess to have a bite right away. The princess uses a fork to brake off a smaller piece of the slice and puts it in her mouth.

Almost immediately after that, the entire cake exploded in a barrage of electricity, clouding Celestia's entire room with smoke and lightening.

“She fell for it!” Twilight joyfully squealed, “it worked, Red Star!”

“What! Let me see,” Red took the binoculars and saw Celestia rushing to open her windows and let the smoke out, she was covered in debris and cake and was coughing heavily. “No way! Good work, Twilight!” she said.

Red Star and Twilight started dancing together in pure joy and celebration.

“Does this mean I passed the test?” Twilight happily asked.

“Heck yeah! You did a better job at that trap than I expected,” Red Star responded, playfully patting Twilight in the head. “You've scored an A-plus for electrical alteration!”

“Yay!”

Red uses her magic to summon a scroll and an inkwell with a crimson feather. “Now that we got electricity aced, our next item is...” she edits and analysis the writing using the feather, “our next item on the list is incendiary magic. Cool! Now this time we should prank... erm, Cadence!”

“Yay!” Twilight repeated, “don't worry, Red Star, I'll study extra hard for this one!”

“Hehe, I'm sure you will-” Red Star cut herself off when both Twilight and herself were blanketed by a large shadow.

Both their stomachs dropped and their blood ran cold as they instantly knew who was behind them. Celestia. As they both slowly turned around to face the princess, they try to put up innocent expressions, but they were too stricken with fear to pull it off.

“Heeey, Celest,” Red Star tries her hardest to speak plainly, “your looking... g-good...” A failed attempt. The princess still had debris and cake covering some of her face and body, and her wrathful anger was obvious in her eyes.

“Maroon Mars...” Celestia uttered slowly, angrily, towering over Red Star and gazing down at her, “can you explain to me why there was a bomb in my cake?...”

“Well...” Red slowly began, “Celest, you see I wanted to show Twilight here a new way to manipulate elements like water, fire and.... electricity...” she gulps, and puts up a wide smile in hopes Celestia might show mercy. Another failed attempt.

Celestia spread her large wings as wide as she could and as fast as she could, frightening the two ponies cowering below her and getting little Twilight to yelp in terror.

“No pony messes with my cake and gets away with their limbs,” Celestia growled loudly, looking at Red and Twilight with an intent to kill in her eyes, “NO PONY!”

----

“And don't forget to clean the entire outside of this tower. And bake me another cake too!” Celestia ordered as she used a towel to clean her face and body from the rubble left on her by the exploding cake.

“Yes, Princess,” Twilight Sparkle and Red Star said at the same time. They were both made to clean up the mess they made in Celestia's chambers with their bomb. All they were given to scrape the ash and cake from every dimension of the destroyed room were their own toothbrushes and a bucket of water. It seemed like a fair punishment considering what Celestia could have easily done to them.

“I expect my whole room to look nicer than it did before when I get back,” Celestia bluntly demanded as she left the two ponies alone in her room.

Once she was just outside her room, with the door still slightly open, she noticed she missed a spot on the side of her neck that still had some cake that wasn't wiped. She rubbed it off onto her hoof then saw that the bundle of crumbs and cream still looked clean and fresh. She stared at it for a second, then chuckled at the idea that it might be good to eat despite what happened. Before she got too curious she wiped it off on the towel.

She looked back at the lavender filly she has for a student. Her smile widens at the fact she has the honor of teaching such an excellent filly. She can easily imagine Red Star feeling the same way. Though the two fillies might have ruined her lunch with their 'studies', Celestia remembers it being the same way she taught Red Star. The princess closes the door and leaves, wearing a gentle smile.

“I knew it was a bad idea...” Twilight muttered as she was scraping the dust from the marble floor with her wet toothbrush. “The last thing I wanted was to offend Celestia in any way! I'll gladly take this punishment...”

“Yeah? Well that's what we get when we mess with the princess,” Red Star laughed, not taking the situation as seriously.

“Did she really have to forbid us from using magic to clean this mess?” Twilight started looking around the room in search of something she can use other than her brush.

“Hey, we blew up her cake with lightening!” Red exclaimed, “messing with Celestia's desserts in any way is kind of a well known no-no in the barracks of Canterlot.”

“Then why did we do it?” Twilight asked, “you said we weren't gonna get caught!” the little filly seemed very frustrated in her tone.

“I did say that...” Red Star put down her brush and looked at Twilight with her usual grin, “and I lied. I mean did you really think I would waste my own magic just to hide from the princess? That would be far too easy, Twi.”

Twilight dropped her jaw in shock. “The-but you... then what was the point of this lesson if we were going to get caught anyway?!” the small filly then thoughtlessly and angrily tossing her brush aside.

Then the filly suddenly, halfway through her outburst, she stopped and took a moment to reflect. As she thought carefully to try to answer her own question there was another question she just had to let out.

Twilight looked at her mentor with her watery, puppy-dog eyes before asking in a fragile tone, “did you do this just to punish me on purpose, Red Star?”

Red met Twilight's expression with a soft smile and an even softer tone. “Hm, I hate it when you use that adorable look against me, Twi” the mare jokingly said as she conjured up a chair, placed it behind her, and sat on it. Then Red picked up sad little Twilight with her magic and placed her on her lap. Before the little filly can say anything Red gave her a playful nuggy, regaining little Twilight's sweet smile and laughter once more.

“I didn't make you do all that practice and study just to get you in trouble with the princess, Twi,” Red chortled as she spoke.

“Then what is the lesson in this?” Twilight asked, curiously looking up at Red Star, waiting for an answer.

“Well...” Red hummed, taking time to gather her thoughts to form an answer. “Magic is by its very nature powerful and mysterious, right? There are still so many things we still don't understand and are still trying to figure out. Everyone that studies sorcery and magic must be willing to do almost anything for the sake of knowledge. Whether that be conducting experiments, research, or even making big sacrifices. In this case we needed to blow up a cake and piss off a goddess to learn how to alter lightening,” Red and Twilight giggled and laughed for a moment before Red continues. “And let's be honest, we'll all make a lot of horrible decisions with magic at some point. However, some of those decisions are far more costly than others, so you have to learn to expect consequences. You following me so far, sweety?” Red asks.

Twilight tilted her head, thinking about what Red said. “Yeah, I follow,” she says as she tries to get comfortable in Red Star's soft lap.

Red continues, “what I'm basically saying is be ready to take responsibility with what you do with your magic. Whether your work is a success or a failure to you, it can be harmful for others.” Red lifts up the little filly by the pits under her forelegs and makes eye contact with her. “Do you get what I'm saying, Twi?” Red asks, looking deep in the purple filly's eyes.

“Yeah...” Twilight thought carefully about what she was just told. Her smile grew as she realized she actually understood it all. “Yeah, I get what you're telling me, Red,” she says, “you're saying I should just be careful with the magic I create because the consequences I can receive won't be worth the gain, but that I should also keep studying and experimenting with new magic despite the risks.”

“That's right...” Red's smile meet Twilight's, and they both laughed. “That's why you're my one and only student!” Red exclaimed as she gave Twilight a tight hug, “I'm so proud of you!”

“Hehe, cut it out, Red” Twilight playfully said. “Are we still planning on pranking Cadance with the incendiary enchantment?”

“Are you sure, Twi? We might get in trouble for that,” Red mockingly reminded.

“Hehe! But it's worth the experience, right?”

“That's right! Don't worry you got the easy part this time. You just gotta trust me, Twi...”

--[Present]--

“So...” Light Speed, mused, trying to come up with a conversation as she laid next to Rainbow Dash in a cloud. “How long are you gonna stay up here for?” she asked.

“Why do you ask?” Rainbow said, not taking her eyes off the night sky for even a second.

“Well... it's very cold; I'm getting sleepy; neither of us is suppose to be out here this late at night; and I kind of left my warm little uniform back at the barracks...”

“Why did you leave your uniform?”

“Because... it's the only thing I could disguise the scarecrow with to take my place...” Light tried to bring up a smile; Rainbow impulsively rolled her eyes. “So, yeah,” Light continued, “that's why I want to know how long you're gonna be out here. I mean, I can't just leave you out here.”

“Why not?” Rainbow was curious.

“... I just can't,” Light said, hoping Rainbow wouldn't insist on the topic, luckily the cyan mare just ignores the subject. The moment becomes silent again as both mares try to come up with something to talk about. The whole time Light Speed notices Rainbow looks like she's deep in thought as she stares at the bright stars. Light turns her body to face Rainbow and supports her head up with her right hoof so she can look down at the cyan pegasus. Then she finally asks, “what are you thinking about?”

“Huh? Um, nothing really,” Rainbow said, hardly looking at Light Speed, “just about what you said about my pride and all...”

“Hmm... I see. Well just let me know when you're going back inside because you're gonna want me to escort you back to your room.” Light chuckled, “and don't tell me that you know your way around; I saw you getting lost in those halls.”

Rainbow chuckled too, “yeah, okay... sure... I'll go back inside soon; I wasn't planning on staying out all night...”

-----

Shining Armor and Cyclone are posted outside the hall containing the rooms where the elements of harmony are staying. They're both wearing their armored uniforms. Shining Armor wears his purple set of armor with the gold rims, and Cyclone wears his heavy set of white armor with red rims and black crest of Equestria in the center. The only thing the colts didn't have with them were their helmets. Having nothing to really do, Shining Armor recently proposed a hoof wrestling contest.

They're still going at it.

“C-come on... just give up!” Shining Armor struggled to keep his strength up.

“You're pathetic, captain,” Cyclone taunts as he seems to not be struggling at all, “you will never beat me in your life!”

“Don't bet on it, S-sir...!” Shining's hoof started shaking slightly as he felt his strength wearing thin and his arm getting numb.

A few moments later, Shining loses all his strength and Cyclone slams his hoof on the table.

“I win, again,” Cyclone proclaims. “So I guess this means I've earned this last muffin,” he says as he grabs the prize he's been betting for.

“One day, you'll lose your touch, and I'll beat you,” Shining playfully swore as he stroked his sore hoof.

“I will never lose my touch!” Cyclone declared.

“What in Equestria are you two doing?” Blue Garnet asked as she made her presence beside the two colts clear.

“Oh hello, lieutenant,” Shining Armor greeted, “me and Cyclone were just settling who gets the last of the muffins we smuggled through the mess hall.”

Blue Garnet looked at Cyclone who was gleefully eating the blue berry muffin, then she looked at Shining Armor who looked rather bored. “I don't mean to disrespect my superiors, but... shouldn't you both be more focused on the job instead of messing around?”

“Don't worry, lieutenant,” Cyclone says, swallowing the last of the muffin, “we were just passing time. I mean we are still guarding this hall after all.”

“And besides, it's not like any sort of threat has appeared yet. The elements of harmony are safe.” Shining adds.

“By the way, why did you come here?” Cyclone asked.

“I had nothing to really do,” Blue admitted, “General Mars dismissed me, but didn't really give me any orders other than to take the day off. But of course, now really isn't the time for breaks...”

“Where is she know?” Cyclone asked.

“Last I saw her she was talking to Luna up at her balcony, but I'm certain she left.”

“Luna you say?” Cyclone suddenly seemed unusually interested by the sound of his tone. “Is Luna alone up there right now?” he asks

“I believe so. Why?” Blue curiously asked.

“No reason, just wondering...” Cyclone went back to his serious tone just as fast as he went into a curious tone.

Blue moved on from Cyclone since she doesn't have the interest to ask him anything. So she turns to Shining Armor.

“Would it be alright if I take over this position for you, sir?” Blue asks. “I have nothing better to do anyway...”

“Uh, sure. I guess it would be alright. What do you think, Cyclone?” Shining asks, turning to Cyclone. Only that Cyclone wasn't standing across the table anymore. He was gone.

Blue Garnet and Shining were left confused for a moment.

“Uh, where did he run off to?” Blue was the first to ask.

“I don't know,” Shining admitted, “he left so fast I didn't even notice...”

“Ugh, it doesn't matter, so can I take your place? I need something to do,” Blue insisted.

“Alright-alright. Just remember to get in touch with us or sound the alarm if you need anything..” Shining mockingly said as he used a teleport spell to leave the lieutenant alone at the post.

-----

Alone in her chambers, in the second tallest tower in the castle, Luna sits on her large bed as she focuses her senses to have a good idea of her surroundings. Keeping her eyes closed, she concentrates on using her omniscient in the night to keep a good sense on everything that's going on within the castle grounds. Though despite that, she was caught off guard to the voice that all of a sudden occurred.

“You feeling lonely up here, Luna?” a familiar, broad voice asked.

Interrupted, the princess opened her eyes, looks to her right toward the voice, and was surprised for only a moment to see a certain light blue colt leaning on the sliding door that separated Luna's room and her large balcony.

“Oh, it's just you, general. I can never figure out how you and general Mars can sneak up on me without my knowing. You do know how rude that is, am I right?” she said in her usual formal tone. “Anyways, to answer your question: this is my duty, it matters not if I am 'lonely'...”

“So you are lonely...” Cyclone figured, “doesn't that bother you?”

Luna smiled. “Pardon me, but I distinctly remember having this same conversation before, Cyclone. And like I said before: it doesn't matter... No pony ever notices me anyway...” her tone became dreadful toward the end.

Cyclone returns a smile, “you're right I also recall having this conversation. And like I said back then: I do notice you, Luna...”

“Despite your appearance, you haven't changed very much have you?” Luna chuckled. Then to seem professional she covered her mouth to try to hide her smirk. “Though I will admit that set of armor still suits you well.”

“You really think so?”

“Hmm, yes. Though, I never understood why you had to dye your mane and tail such a simple color. After all, it all went so well with the armor.”

Cyclone chortled and smiled in response to the comment, “that's exactly what Celestia and Red Star said...”

For a few moments Luna made eye contact with Cyclone's bright red eyes. A certain thought went past Luna's head that made her blush and look away for a moment.

“Forgive me for saying, but you surely picked an odd time to speak to me. What are you doing here anyway, general?” the princess asked while looking in a different direction.

“I came to say hello,” Cyclone says, “after all, I've been so busy with my militant duties that Red Star is the only one who had a chance to welcome you back ever since-...” Cyclone's smile vanished, so did Luna's, they both look down as they knew what the blue colt almost mentioned.

An awkward silence lingers. Cyclone gazes behind him at the night sky as he thought of a new topic to talk about.

“The night was never this beautiful when Celestia was in control of it,” the colt said, trying to bring back a smile in the princess's face.

“So I have heard...” Luna said plainly, acting as if she didn't care for the compliment.

“It seems more lively,” Cyclone continued, “you can actually see the bright stars, and the night is a fine dark blue instead of a dread pitch black and-...” he smiled and looked back at the princess before continuing, “I've almost forgotten how gorgeous the moon can look...”

“So have I...” Luna quietly admitted. Then she realized the time she spent talking to Cyclone. “I'm sorry, but I should start getting back to my duties. It's nothing personal.”

“Oh, don't worry about it, I should be leaving too. But, before I go, I have to just say it's very good to see you again, Luna, truly. I hope we can talk again soon,” the colt spoke with deep sincerity.

“Likewise, Cyclone...” Luna replied with an identical tone.

Knowing the conversation is over, Cyclone spread his wings and jumped off the balcony and flew west toward the military barracks.

Watching the colt fly away, Luna couldn't help but feel deeply sorry for Cyclone. “Cyclone... it pains me to see that you and Maroon still cursed...” she thought.

“Aww, why did you two stop talking?” asked a voice coming from the shadows of the room.

“I didn't want to continue knowing you were listening,” Luna said, a small bit of anger present in her tone, “it's all a matter of privacy.”

“I'm sorry...” said the pony in the shadows.

Luna loses herself in thought for a few moments before she speaks her mind. “When I came back from being trapped in the moon, I knew a lot of things would be different...” she spoke with her emotions showing in her expression; the pony in the background of the room remained still and listened to the princess. “But the one thing I was scared the most is seeing...” Luna wraps herself in her arms and grips herself as she tries to control her feelings. Before she got anymore worked up, she sighed and let everything go.

“I'm sorry...” the pony hiding in the dark repeated in an even softer voice.

“It's quite alright, Cadence,” Luna assured. “But it would help if you leave me alone to attend to my duties.”

“Alright,” Cadence stepped from the dark background and revealed herself. “I only came here to inform you that I have sent the distress call to you know who...” she said in a reluctant tone.

“Hmph, so it's come to that has it?...” Luna said under her breath. “Doesn't matter now; good job, Cadence. Now, please leave.”

“Let me know if you need anything,” Cadence says before teleporting away.

The dark blue princess closes her eyes again, returning to her deep focus. She clears her mind as she keeps watch on the entire castle from her bed.

-----

In the hall of the elements Red Star and Celestia stood together not far in front of Twilight Sparkle. They both were ready to answer the many questions and comments Twilight surely has. After all, they both just finished explaining the entire situation to Twilight. Though, it's taking a moment for the lavender unicorn to seep it all in.

“So...” Twilight mutters just loud enough to be heard, trying to gather the words she will say. Her expression is a mix of shock and anxiousness. “When I was a little filly,” she continues, “a very powerful force of unknown origin was forced out of me?...”

“That's correct...” Celestia answered gently, “though, you were unconscious the entire time that was happening and you had amnesia when you woke up.”

“I see...” Twilight said, thinking carefully and looking at the ground. “And now you brought me and my friends to Canterlot because you think it might be back since you are able to sense it... but you don't know for sure...” Twilight looks up at the two mares standing in front of her, scanning for any hint to see if they might be joking with her. But their empty expressions and serious tones suggest only the opposite.

“We know it's a lot to take in,” Red Star said, “and we'd appreciate it I you keep it to yourself, for now. But we needed to tell you in case you have any information that can help us in this.”

“This explains a lot...” Twilight says under her breath, talking mostly to herself.

“What was that?” Red asked after she heard Twilight, “what do you mean 'this explains a lot'?”

Twilight looked at Red Star, then at Celestia. She decides to start telling them the truth. “I think I recently was able to sense the entity too...” she reluctantly admits.

Celestia and Red Star raise their eyebrows. “Really?...” they both say. Twilight nodded slightly in response.

“How long have you been able to sense this now?” Celestia asks.

“A few days...” Twilight says. “It was when Cyclone and Shinning Armor came to Ponyville. I started feeling it suddenly right after they told us about the invitation to come here...” Twilight rubbed her head with one of her hooves as she recalled the feeling she got from sensing the entity. “It felt so... heavy... it was just so hard to ignore... What does it mean?” she finally asks.

“It means nothing, really” Red Star said, “personally, I'm not surprised.”

Twilight's confusion isn't letting up. “W-why?” she asks.

“Ponies with a strong connection and understanding of magic are able to passively feel the entity's energy,” Celestia answers. “But it's also true that not just any normal pony can feel it.”

“That's actually another reason why we brought you and your friends here, Twilight,” Red adds. Before the lavender pony could ask why again, Red continues, “the power the entity displays is mostly concentrated in Equestria, but it's so spread out no pony can tell where the source is. And since anyone with an adept understanding of magic can sense it, the safety of you elements of harmony became an issue.”

Twilight's expression looked even more confused, so Celestia added to the explanation.

“The power of the entity is immense,” the princess says, “and it can be sensed throughout the world not just Equestria. It will most definitely attract attention from nearby lands, unwanted attention.”

Twilight's eyes widen in slight fear and shock as she started to understand.

Red noticed, so she spoke next. “We aren't necessarily expecting some sort of invasion,” she says in an attempt to calm the purple unicorn, “but I am certain some individuals are going to be curious enough of this power to cross our borders and... seek it out in any way possible. And I am sure somepony already has...”

Twilight caught onto Red's implication quickly. “Are you suggesting that Midnight Shine is one of those individuals seeking this power?” Twilight angrily asked while she stomped her fore hoof.

“You're quick to defend him, that's cute. But I'm not making any conclusions, Twilight,” Red assures. “I just think it's a possibility.”

“Who's Midnight Shine?” Celestia calmly asks, looking at Red Star for the answer.

“Oh that's right I didn't tell you...” Red says, “well apparently Twilight's colt-friend might be after the power we all can sense.”

Celestia's felt a feeling of surprise and excitement that counteracted her serious expression. “You have a colt-friend?” she asked, her smile widening every second she has to wait for an answer.

“He's not my coltfriend!” Twilight shouted as she blushed heavily. “He's a colt who arrived just the other day to Ponyville. And we're just friends!”

“Oh, I see...” Celestia's mood became serious again, “then I guess Red Star might be right on this one.”

“It doesn't really matter,” Red said, “after all we have Luna watching over Canterlot. Nothing can possibly get past her at night.”

Twilight looks at the ground, thinking, trying to remain calm while seeping all this in. “I have one more question...” she says.

“Yes? What is it?” Celestia urged.

“Well...” she quickly looked back up at the two ponies in front of her. She was obviously mad and her eyes were watery, “why didn't you tell me the truth to begin with?!” she cried angrily.

Celestia and Red gaze at each other with doubtful looks.

“We couldn't risk letting word of this get out too soon,” Celestia finally said, “this is a matter of national security after all, and only a select few ponies in Canterlot are allowed to know anything about this.”

“That's not all,” Red Star added, “there might be many things we don't know about the entity, but we're certain it's coming back for the elements of harmony.”

Twilight was stunned by the claim Red made. If that is true then that would mean all her friends are in danger of this entity.

“H-how can you be sure?” Twilight asked.

“Because this thing must've been born from the power of the Element of Magic,” Red slowly answered. “You and your friends are the first to have been born to become the elements. 'Special' doesn't even begin to describe it!”

Twilight didn't know what else to say. She wasn't even sure how to react to all these secrets finally loaded onto her. She looked at the ground, unsure of even herself.

“What should I do, Red Star?” the purple mare submitted before her two masters, asking for a path to take.

Red Star smiled, and stepped close enough to her old student to lift her chin up with her hoof. Making close eye contact. Red said, “trust me, Twi. That's all you have to do. I won't let anything happen to you or your friends, alright?”

Twilight was mesmerized by Red Star as she looked deep into her blue eyes. Losing the ability to answer vocally, the lavender pony nods slowly.

“That's good,” Red giggles, “don't worry, you have the easy part this time. You just gotta trust me, Twi...”

The mere tone of Red's cheery yet soft voice brought back old memories for Twilight. Which made her trust Red Star again.

-----

Unable to go to sleep, Spike tossed and turned in the bed he's laying in. He's apparently too gleeful and excited to sleep. After all he can't stop thinking about where he's actually at. He can't believe that he gets his own room to sleep in, and his room is across the hall from Rarity's. And most of all he gets to have all the gems he can eat. However despite his excitement, he's trying to sleep so the morning can arrive faster. Trying to calm himself down he gets into a comfortable position and clears his mind.

When he was seconds away from slumber, a sudden thumping noise coming from the door startled him. It sounded like something hard was dropped on the wooden floor. He sat up and saw that the door was opened just enough for the rim of moonlight coming from the window outlines it.

“Who's there?...” he called out. There was no response, just silence. Before he thought about getting up and closing the door something twinkly coming from the ground caught his attention. He looked down and saw a large diamond, or it at least seemed like one. “What the... a diamond?...” Spike wondered as he leaned in to pick it up.

He looked at it carefully as he didn't feel the apatite to eat it right away. It seemed strange at first. It looked very carefully carved into a perfect shape of a diamond and it looked just a bit smaller than the baby dragon's head, and it seemed to have vein-like lines of a faint blue coming from the center reaching to all it's pointed corners. Spike has never seen anything like it; for some reason Twilight never aloud him to have a diamond to eat before. In fact, he even remembered Twilight telling him it's forbidden for him to hold one, but she never would said why.

He tilted it in every possible corner, and the longer he gazed at it the more different he felt. He felt every fiber in his body desire the gem more than anything; it started to cloud his thinking. He leaned his mouth closer to the diamond, curious enough to stick his tongue to reach in and lick it.

But just when he was inches away from tasting it, he heard another noise come from the door. He quickly turned to look. The door was still barely open, but just in front of it was another sparkling diamond. Feeling a sudden surge of greed go through the very nerve of his body, he uncontrollably lunged towards it.

Before he knew it he was starring at the two large gems, comparing him. The newest one was only slightly different from the first one in that it had red lines inside it's core.

Uncontrollably, he grinned and laughed maniacally in ways unrecognizable to his personality. Slowly he was changing physically: his teeth grew sharper and larger, his claws and tail stretched in length. And the whole time the gems he was holding lit blue and red brighter and brighter.

Though, Spike quickly came back to his senses and felt the radical changes. “Wh-what's happening?!” he shouted in pain as he felt like himself become slowly consumed in what he easily recognized to be 'dragon's greed'. Realizing the issue, he quickly grabbed the two gems and attempted to threw them out the window of the room. Though he already lost so much of his strength he didn't throw them far enough and they landed only a few meters away.

Having lost his strength Spike falls over and writhes as he feels every bone he has morph into something different. He's able to do nothing but go through the pain. “Somepony, anypony, help me!” he screamed.

Right away, somepony kicked the door open and rushed inside. Spike didn't see who it was, and before he can feel glad somepony came to help, a magical glow blinded him and covered him completely. He instantly realized that whoever the pony was, they were not at all here to help him...

-----

From outside Spike's room a large explosion can be heard and seen from a good distance. Large clouds of debris emerged from the site as an intensely loud, blaring roar can be heard coming from the smoke, gaining the attention from everypony near and far.