• Published 2nd Dec 2017
  • 333 Views, 9 Comments

Eye to [wonky] Eye - RandomDerp



Storm Chaser moves to Ponyville in hopes of finding a new start. Who he meets, and the events that will unfold will change his life for the better.

  • ...
 9
 333

Party Ponies!

"SURPRIIIISE!" A group of ponies all screamed as I barged into the room. My ears immediately fell back in shock and I recoiled slightly from the shock.

"Hello again Stormie, every new pony in Ponyville gets a "welcome to Ponyville" Party, so here it is! I hope you like it, but still no sign of my Welcome Wagon, so I suppose I'll need to catch you some other time with that!" Pinkie giggled heartily, taking in my shocked expression.

"Wow, this is... unexpected." I manage to stutter, looking around the room at all the ponies taking up my humble lounge. Most of the ponies I didn't know, however I recognized a few faces from around the town.

The next hour was filled with delicious punch, cupcakes, muffins and introductions to ponies from all over Ponyville. Music blared throughout, and I had been forcibly adorned with a party hat by Pinkie. Eventually, I came to the end of the line of ponies attending, and could just relax a little. I was never one for parties, however this seemed a refreshing change of pace from the ones I used to attend.

The day began to wear on, the dancing and games coming to an end. Before long it was just myself and a few others remaining. The front door opened, just when I was expecting it to all come to an end, and in came Derpy, a cake tin perched upon her back. A filly of school age bounced along beside her, adorning a hearty smile, and immediately galloping off to join the three fillies hanging out in the corner wearing capes.

Her eyes scanned the room, and eventually she spotted me and waved.

"Hey Storm!" She called, trotting her way across the room "Sorry I'm late, but the post office was crazy today, and I had to pick Dinky up from school, and don't even get me started on Sparkl..." She was cut short as her hoof caught the edge of my rug and tumbled forward. I immediately flew forward and grabbed the cake tin that was now airborne, and I watched as Derpy dusted herself off with her wings.

"Woah, thanks for saving the muffins. I baked them myself especially for the party." She smiled warmly as I placed them on the table.

"No worries, are you okay? That looked like quite the tumble." I looked her over concernedly, but she appeared to be in good shape.

"Fine! I'm fine!" She giggled at my concern "It happens all the time, wonky eye and doesn't help when you're naturally clumsy anyway." She raised a hoof to her wandering eye. Her smile was contagious. It was strange how little effort it took to be content around her, like my world was melting from around me and all I could see was the golden twinge in her eyes.

"Oh jeez, do I like this mare?" I thought to myself while Derpy checked on the muffins.

"A little squished, but I'm sure they'll be fine." She smiled, while holding out the tin to me.

"MUFFINS!" A voice squealed from the blur shooting across the room towards us. With a sigh, Derpy held up her hoof and with a thud the small unicorn that had arrived with Derpy came to a sudden halt.

"Sorry about her. This is Dinky, my little foal. She loves my muffins and she will take it right out your hoof if you're not careful." I looked at Dinky, who was sitting on the floor, rubbing her horn with an exasperated look on her face. This was Derpy's daughter? I thought maybe younger sister, but wow she was young for a mother.

"Oh, it's lovely to meet you," I held out a hoof to the small unicorn, who was eyeing me up warily. She eventually took my hoof and pulled herself up.

"Muffin?" She asked Derpy, ignoring me.

"You will have to ask Storm here if that's okay. They are his muffins sweetie." The foals eyes turned towards me. They were huge, sparkling pools like you would expect from a puppy, or kitten. I couldn't say no.

"Sure, help yourself." I booped her nose with my hoof, and she let out an excited squeal, grabbing a muffin from the tin and shooting off in a blur of lilac.

"She seems sweet." I said, watching her go back to playing with the other foals.

"She is very," Derpy responded with affection glimmering in her eyes, "She can be a handful, but she always has the right thing at heart." I didn't doubt her.

We spent the next little while snacking on muffins, drinking punch and talking until long after the other guests had left. The sun had set and Dinky was asleep on my couch, snoring lightly.

"Oh wow, I didn't realize the time!" Derpy suddenly exclaimed standing up and gathering Dinky up onto her back "I should really get going, I have work in the morning and I need to get this little one ready for school."

"Okay, well thank you for a wonderful night, and the muffins. They are incredible by the way!" I shot her a genuine smile, which until meeting her had been a rarity in my life.

"Thank you, just let me know if you ever want any more," She shot me a wink, and quickly finished her punch "Right, I'll see you around Storm!" I held the door open for her as she left, and I don't know if it was the punch, or whether I was feeling confident from the long conversation that we had had, but the next words out of my mouth shocked even me.

"Hey, Derpy. Do you maybe, I dunno, want to get dinner sometime?" My ears pinned back realizing what I had just said. Oh I'm an idiot. I misread the whole situation. Time for the humiliating rejection.

"Sure! Sounds like fun!" She smiled, "Let me get back to you about when I'm free, and I'll get Sparkler to look after Dinky for the night."

With that she gave me one final wave, and took off towards her house. My mouth was agape. I had asked her out, and she had said yes. I closed the door slowly, the shock still setting in from my confident burst. A couple of minutes passed as I just stood in my hallway, until finally it all clicked in my head.

"WOOHOO!" I proclaimed to nobody in particular, thrusting a hoof into the air in celebration.

"Just as I had planned." said a voice from behind me, and as I spun round I noticed Pinkie Pie leaning in the doorway to my lounge, nonchalantly eating a cupcake.

"PINKIE, WHY ARE YOU STILL HERE?!"