• Published 3rd Dec 2017
  • 4,817 Views, 142 Comments

Heart of the Force - fluttershyfan17



In the midst of Order 66, Jedi Knight Kaleb Taymar is transported to Equestria. Starting a new life, he becomes friends with the Main 6. However, the Force has awakened in Equestra, and their lives will never be the same.

  • ...
9
 142
 4,817

Chapter 15: Uncertain Questions

Kaleb sat at a table in the library, concentrating on the electronics in front of him. Taking a small tool from a kit borrowed from Time Turner, he worked on the small circular-shaped objects , trying not to scratch the lenses inside. The circuitry was small, but easy to manage. Master Johanna taught me well, these things would be a nightmare to manage without the proper skills, he thought. Let’s just hope these are able to work.

The sound of Twilight teleporting interrupted his thoughts. “Kaleb, have you seen my trunk? I swore I put it here somewhere?” She walked over to the table. “Wow, what’s going on here?”

Wiping the sweat off his forehead, Kaleb breathed a sigh of relief. “Hopefully, a miracle. I believe that your trunk is in the kitchen. Actually, I could use your help with an experiment.”

He could feel Twilight’s excitement the moment he said the words. “Whatever it is, I’m more than happy to help.” She pointed to the smaller objects to the side. “Those look like microphones.”

“They are, in a sense. They’re called comlinks, used primarily for short-range communication. They’re fitted with microphones and receivers, so you talk to someone in real time,” Kaleb explained. “Princess Celestia sent these back in January; we found them in the cockpit of my ship hidden away in a very small compartment. I’ve haven’t gotten the chance to look many of this before now, it’s these that are the challenge.” He indicated to the silver commnicators. “Take this one to the most remote part of the treehouse you can. I’ll activate it after a minute or so.”

Twilight took the circular, metallic object and walked up the stairs to the balcony. She opened the sliding door, and closed it. Waiting for a few moments, she looked out at the sky. The blue light within the object glowed, and she looked in awe at what stood in front of her. There was a miniature version of Kaleb at the table, made out of a blue light. Awe turned into amazement. “That’s amazing! But, how is it possible?”

Chuckling a little, Kaleb began to explain. “This is a holoprojector, capable of transmitting holographic communication in real-time, as well as long distances, even across a planet. There’s a built in comlink that makes it possible to transmit sound as well as an image. I can see and hear your fine, so the connection works. You can come back down now.”

The transmission ended, and the hologram disappeared. Twilight went back down to the library, setting the holoprojector back down. She lowered her voice. “You know, I noticed that you’ve been spending a lot of time here recently. I’m only asking this as a mutual friend to you both, but did something happen between you and Fluttershy?”

He sighed. “It’s complicated. I won’t go into it too much for the sake of her privacy, but we’re having some…problems with communication. We kind of agreed to take some time off.” He lied in that last sentence. It hadn’t been mutual, but Kaleb realized after talking to Lyra how inconsiderate he was. He left a letter at her door, apologizing and saying that he would give her the space she needed. “I know you want to help, but honestly, the best thing to do now is nothing.”

Twilight nodded. “I’m sorry, I didn’t know. The next few days are probably going to be difficult for you, given the occasion.”

“Irony has a cruel sense of humor, no matter how you approach it. But I’ll be fine for your brother’s wedding. I haven’t been to Canterlot for a while, so it will be good to see old friends. Plus, it will be good for you and Spike to spend some time together.” Kaleb began to put away the communicators in a small box, which he tucked into a small leather bag with a strap for a shoulder. “The train leaves soon, right?”

“In an hour,” Twilight responded. “It’ll be fun, don’t worry. I still need to pack a few things, so I’ll meet you down here.” She went to the stairs, just as Spike was heading down with his suitcase. “Hey Spike, could you make sure that the logs are in order? I think there are a few books missing.”

“Sure thing, Twi. I’ll see what’s going on.” Spike waited until she was upstairs, and sat down next to Kaleb. “Don’t worry. I should be able to keep her at bay for a few more days. Though, I don’t understand why you need those books on manticores.”

Kaleb looked at him thankfully. “It should only be for a few more days, I think I may have found what I needed. Thank you, I know this is asking a lot of you.”

“It’s not a problem, Kaleb. Honestly, I’ve been feeling better these past three weeks. Besides, somehow you have a way of knowing just how to make somebody feel better.” He raised an eyebrow a little.

“Sweetie Belle told you, didn’t she?” Kaleb asked.

“Yep. And you are truly a wise person.” Spike chuckled. “Anyway, I’ve got a few more comics to read before the train leaves. See you.” He walked back upstairs.

Kaleb smiled a little, and followed. Going into his room, he closed the door and walked over to the nightstand. He opened a drawer, and took out a book titled Diseases of the Manticores. He gazed at it, turning to a page before putting it into the leather bag. I don’t know if this is what the manticore had, but I have to do something. It’s what Fluttershy would do. He got up, taking his lightsaber and examining it. I need to find my place in the galaxy again. My connection to the Force has been strong, but I have never felt so removed. I failed to recognize the bravery of those around me, and I wish I had listened more. For once, the light is fading, and I need to find a new path to save it. Hooking the lightsaber into its leather pouch, he went back downstairs, taking the book with him.


The train ride to Canterlot was a long one, even though the train sped along through the mid-morning sun. Kaleb, Twilight, and Spike all shared a private compartment, as it was a special occaision. The rest of the Mane Six along with the Cutie Mark Crusaders were catching the mid-afternoon train. Kaleb stared out at the valley below them as the climb up the mountain to Canterlot began.

Within an hour, they were pulling into Canterlot Station, the train heaving to a stop.

Twilight clapped her hooves. “Excellent! Our luggage is going to transported up to the castle, so there’s no worry about taking it up there.” Getting up, she raced out of the car with Spike following. Kaleb got up slowly and was caught in the line of ponies exiting the car. It was slow process, with many having luggage that they carried. There was an uneasiness to it, but soon Kaleb approached the doorway to the station.

The moment he stepped onto the platform, the Force hit him like a brick wall. Anguish, pain, distress, anxiety, and hopelessness cried out in a million voices, with one rising above the rest. This voice was female, her emotions difficult to tell due to how her voice echoed and bounced around, but her pain and exhaustion was at the forefront. Kaleb felt her pain through his own mind and heart, and tried to reach out to no end. In the background, there seemed to be other voices hissing, almost trying to drown out the pain.

The disturbance in the Force was so powerful that it made Kaleb lose his balance, clutching the wall for support. The emotion was so intense that it made him nauseous. It lasted only seconds, but seemed like an hour, and it was gone as soon it came. It was silent briefly, before the noises of the train station came into focus. He sank to the ground, sitting down as he leaned against the wall. His blurred vision cleared, and he saw Twilight, Spike and the conductor looking worried, kneeling by him. “Kaleb, are you okay! Talk to me.”

Shaking his head to clear it, Kaleb responded. “Yeah, I think I’m okay. I just forgot to eat breakfast this morning before we went. The altitude change must have had an effect. Do you have anything to eat?”

Twilight pulled out a granola bar from her saddlebag. “Here. It’s cherry and dark chocolate.” Kaleb took the granola bar and took a bite before trying to get up to her protests. “Are you sure you’re okay? We can find a bench.” The conductor echoed her sentiments.

Kaleb stood up, leaning against the wall. He took a few more bites of the bar, trying to rid himself of the nausea while taking deep breaths. “Thank you for your care and concern, but I should be okay. It’s good to walk so that the blood can flow, anyway. Also, this is delicious, thanks Twilight.”

“You’re welcome,” she responded. “We have some time before we need to be at the castle, so maybe we could look at some of the shops nearby.”

“I could show you the best comic book shop in Canterlot,” Spike chimed in. “They have giant Power Pony models that are bigger than me. Trust me, you got to see them.”

Kaleb chuckled as Twilight gave both of them an amused look. “That does sound interesting. Let’s go.” Thanking the conductor for his work, they began to walk towards the exit of the station. Although he kept his expression neutral, Kaleb’s mind raced with thoughts.

That was a Disturbance in the Force, there’s no denying it. Strong enough to physically knock me down, but confusing none the less. Who was the main voice that cried out, and why did she rise above the rest? Why was the hissing trying to drown out her voices along with the others? There might be a possibility that this was what Sweetie Belle felt back in March, or something I sensed back in mid-January. The strength has to indicate that I’m close to it. He gazed up at the cityscape of Canterlot. Something isn’t right here. Whatever happens, I need to be prepared.

Despite the recent encounter, the time wandering around shops was fun. It had been a while since all of them had been out together, and Kaleb enjoyed it. Twilight was enamored in particular with a special shop for parchment and quills, with a whole variety of ink. Even Spike held off from his sarcasm to take a look, and Kaleb observed the streets. The weather was warmer and many ponies were outside, including at some of the local parks, which were inbetween many of the neighborhoods of the city. The sun reflected on the buildings, giving it a nice glowing warmth. Still, he noticed an uneasiness in the eyes of some, even as they stayed in the sunlight. They seemed only wanting to get to their destination.

These are strange times, Kaleb thought. You would think there would be much celebration due to a royal wedding. He turned to the shop owner, a pegasus with a comic book for a cutie mark. “Excuse me, I noticed that there are a lot of ponies not staying outside for too long. They appear to be worried. With the royal wedding, wouldn’t many be celebrating?”

“Normally they would be, but there have been rumors going around of hauntings all around Canterlot. Ghosts and ghouls roaming the street, or something like that,” she explained. “Personally, I think it’s just a publicity stunt or something. But I haven’t seen many ponies out at nights anymore.”

Kaleb nodded in thanks. Perhaps there are others who can shed light on this. His thoughts were interrupted by Twilight tapping his hand. “Come on. We need to get to the castle now.” Kaleb followed them out of the shop and walked into the street.

The castle gates weren’t too far, and the royal guards opened them. As they walked up the path towards the castle, Kaleb noticed many guard ponies on the grounds, training with each other or on patrol, overlooking the castle. As soon as they reached the door, it opened.

A physically fit unicorn opened the door, with white fur and a mane of navy and ocean blue. He had a shield with a purple star as a cutie mark, with three regular stars above it. “Twiley, it’s good to see you.”

He walked over to hug Twilight, but she hesitated. “Why didn’t you tell me you were getting married? You have no idea how much work I had to do to get ready for this, or how many strings I had to pull for the library to remain open.”

He shrugged a little. “Sorry about that, but it was all in the interest of security. You could never know what could happen. But I’m here with the best sister in the world, and that is all that matters.”

Twilight nodded, turning to Spike and Kaleb. “Kaleb, this is Shining Armor, my brother.”

“Nice to meet you.” Kaleb shook with Shining, whose grip was strong from his training. “You’re the Captain of the Royal Guard, right?”

He banged his hoof on his gear with pride. “Yes, I am. Please, come on in. Great to see you too, Spike.” Together, they walked into the castle. There was a hustle and bustle to the castle, due to the impending wedding. Large amounts of guards and workers moved around. “There’s been so much preparation, everypony has been busy. It is really helpful that you and your friends are helping, Twilight.” Kaleb noticed how spotless the castle was, and how the colors seemed to have changed in accordance to the theme. Pastels of every shade found its way into the decoration, along with hints of light gold.

They moved up the stairs, avoiding the traffic for the most part. Moving into the small hallway, Kaleb saw that Princess Celestia was overseeing the moving of a banner, with Princess Luna looking deep in discussion with her. He could sense that there was strain between them, but said nothing. He noticed a pink alicorn, with purple, pink, and golden-yellow highlights in her mane. She spotted them.

“Shining, I was looking for you. There is still so much to do.” Twilight’s eyes lit up, and rushed toward her, putting her in a hug. “Twilight, let go of me.” She pushed her away.

Twilight backed up, slightly confused, “Sorry about that…” Kaleb could sense her confusion, and her voice reflected it. “Kaleb, this is…”

“Princess Cadence, soon-to-be wife of the best captain of the Royal Guard.” Shining moved to her side. “It’s lovely to meet you, Kaleb. Though I admit, I didn’t expect you to arrive with Twilight. I thought you would be arriving later in the day.”

Kaleb met her gaze. “One must arrive early in order to seize the day. I assure you, Twilight is excellent company to be around.” He felt a shiver down his spine, as if her gaze pierced him.

Princess Celestia broke up the proceedings. “It’s good to see you both, but there is much to do. The wedding is only a few days away, after all. I have had your luggage sent to your rooms. Twilight sent in the rooming assignments, and everything has been approved.”

“Yes, think of it as a little vacation.” Cadence interjected. “We want this to be as relaxing as a stay as possible.” She smiled at them, including Kaleb. He found it difficult to meet her gaze, but seeing Luna staring at him calmly helped slightly. He noticed that she had been staring at him this entire time, almost as if she was trying to send him a message.

“There is no to waste, the preparations must begin,” Celestia continued. “Twilight, it would help me if you and Spike went with Cadence now. It would give you two time to catch up.”

Twilight’s eyes sparkled with hesitant hope. “Sure, it sounds good. Right Spike?” The young dragon nodded. With a nervous pace, they followed Cadence down the hallway, going up another set of stairs at the end. Shining Armor followed right behind Cadence.

“Kaleb, I need you to be up her making sure everything goes smoothly with the decorations. Perhaps you can meet up with Shining Armor later in the day…”

Luna stepped forward. “Sister, please. Kaleb can help me with my tasks. It would be nice to have the company.”

“We don’t have time for that, Luna,” Celestia argued. “These decorations need to be right to Cadence’s specifications, and you know…”

“It can wait, Tia.” Luna said, with an edge in her voice. “I’ll only be a few minutes, and I’ll send him right back up. Perhaps he can make sure the gardens are well tended too in the afternoon.”

Celestia sighed, and shook her head to clear it. “Sorry, I didn’t mean it like that. I swear that all this wedding preparation is getting to my head. Just make sure he’s back here so that everything moves smoothly.”

“I will. I’ll speak to you later.” Luna went down the opposite side of the hall, and Kaleb followed her. “Don’t speak until I say so.” She added in an undertone. They winded up stairways and hallways, each becoming more abandoned.

Kaleb took this time to reflect. Something is not right here. I’ve never seen them argue like that, and Twilight never said Cadence was that cold as her foalsitter. There’s something unsettling…about that gaze.

Eventually, they moved to a set of doors, made from ancient blackened wood with dark blue crystal embedded inside, carving intricate patterns that were difficult to make out. Luna set her hoof on the doors, and her horn glowed. The doors opened to reveal a small hallway about ten feet leading into a large windowless room, both lightened with lanterns. There were a smaller set of doors leading into the room. The walls were a slightly lighter shade, but not much. There was a large bed opposite of the door, and to the right, a large desk and chair. To the left, there was a couch and a few armchairs. Bookshelves lined the walls, filled with a variety of volumes and scrolls.

The doors behind Kaleb closed, and he jumped. “Sorry, it can be a bit alarming if you’re not used to it. Please, relax and sit down.” Kaleb sat down in one of the armchairs, and Luna on the couch opposite, closing the smaller doors with magic. “I didn’t mean to scare you, I just need to talk.”

Kaleb nodded, looking around the room. “I’m kind of impressed with the room, it certainly has a different feel than the rest of the castle.”

“It’s because this is of my design.” Kaleb’s curiosity increased, and she saw it. “My magical powers differ from Celestia’s, and can be more intense and wilder, in some cases, dangerous. This room helps contain it, as well as giving me the isolation I need. I am the only one who can open these doors. My job during the night is not easy physically or emotionally, so the solitude can help. All the books and scrolls you see here are related to my type of magic, which is rare for anypony to have the potential to wield.”

“It’s always a good idea to have someplace where you feel comfortable, and safe,” Kaleb responded. “I am curious why you needed to talk to me all the way here.”

“I needed someplace private, where we can’t be interrupted.” She gazed at Kaleb. “This wedding has brought much celebration and joy, but it is difficult to feel it. I think you know what I’m talking about."

He nodded, thinking back to the ponies in the shop. “Something does not feel right here, in Canterlot. There are rumors going around the city of ghosts and ghouls, noises in the darkness, of the streets being haunted. I’ve never seen ponies rush to get off the streets before, especially not during this time of year.”

“Security is tight because of the wedding, tighter than it has been in years. However, I fear that outside forces are working against this wedding, perhaps even on the inside,” Luna explained. “I know that everything looks fine, but something feels off, even within the castle grounds. I can’t pinpoint what it is.”

“Do you know what these rumors of hauntings around the city mean, with evidence taken from dreams?” Kaleb asked.

“No, I’m afraid not. However, I do know that the Canterlot Police have reassured citizens that everything is alright, but that has not appeared to have a large affect from your observations.” She shifted her weight on the couch slightly. “There’s something else, Kaleb. A month ago, Twilight’s Canterlot library was broken into. It’s located on castle grounds, adjacent to the Library of Magic. It was investigated by the Royal Guard, who said in their official report that they found nothing was stolen and that it must have been a stray branch that hit the window. However, one of Shining Armor’s own guards came to me a few days ago and said that he may have seen something. He’s scared to come forward to Shining Armor himself.”

Kaleb sat, his mind racing. I need to take this one step at a time. A Jedi must be calm in the face of uncertainty. He looked up at her. “What are you asking me to do, Princess Luna?”

“Investigate this, quietly and calmly. I do not want to alert suspicion from within the Castle. The Jedi would do similar investigations, am I correct?”

“The Jedi worked adjacent with the Galactic Republic, helping to maintain peace and order. Although we were technically independent and not part of the government, we worked as if we were. However, we still had our own autonomy.” Kaleb thought for a moment. “Do you really believe that someone or a group infiltrated Canterlot’s defenses? From what Shining Armor was telling me, security has been tighter than it has ever been?”

“It’s a possibility that cannot be ruled out,” Luna said with a sigh. “There are multiple measures that have been implemented, such as shields that prevent outright attack around the castle and city, as well as guards posted at every entrance of the underground tunnels.”

Taking a few minutes, Kaleb looked at the information. The disturbances in the Force, they all lead here. Plus, with the break-in, there’s a disturbing amount of tension. He made his decision. “Canterlot not only serves as a major city, but as a major center of government. Any attack here would not only threaten the peace and harmony of the city, but of Equestria as well. From the information you have given me and my own observations, I will look into this. As well, I think that it is best that I not report my findings back to you. If the castle has been infiltrated, meeting with you could give us away. The best hope of this succeeding is that we act independently.” He paused. “Have you told your sister about this?”

Luna shook her head. “She wouldn’t listen anyway. She cares for Cadence, as do I, but I fear her attachment may blind her. I do agree with you not meeting; it may be best for me to act as if nothing is happening until the suspects reveal themselves.” She looked at him. “You will be fine, you do have the Force after all.”

“My connection to the Force is not as strong as it once was,” Kaleb explained. “I feel like I’m going in blind, second-guessing myself at every turn. Fluttershy and I have been having some relationship problems, but I’m not sure if that’s the cause or the side effect. I’m uncertain if I am even up to the task…”

Luna blinked in sympathy. “I’m sorry, I didn’t know.” She stood up, stretching before sitting back down. “Kaleb, you may have the Force, but it does not define who you are. You do, and you are capable enough to handle this task. Also, have you ever thought that your attachment to Fluttershy could affect your perception and blind you?”

He thought for a moment. “I don’t know, and that’s the problem. I suppose that it is a possibility, but I don’t know where to focus. How do I balance my attatchments with my Jedi duties? How do I choose between draining emotions and acknowledging them, even though it could take me farther away from the Force? The battle between light or dark is waging, how can it be resolved?” He shook his head, rubbing his forehead with his right hand. “All of these are good questions, but I don’t think it can be resolved now. The peace and harmony of this world are at stake, and I will do my best, even in the face of uncertainty. I will not fail you.”

She nodded, using her magic to set a scroll on the desk. “Here is the information for where the guard will be, along with the map of the grounds. I can’t provide you with a schedule of guard patrols, that was one thing that I couldn’t find. However, he has reassured that he will be alone in that place.”

“Do you trust him enough to take him at his word?” Kaleb asked.

“If he was brave enough to come to me, I think that we can trust him.” Luna pointed out. “However, you must still be cautious.”

Kaleb nodded. “I can tell if other life forms are watching. I will make sure we are not overheard.” He took a few minutes to study the map, and handed it to her.

Luna fixed him with an amused look. “Did you just memorize the map?”

“Only so nobody else can find it,” Kaleb replied, running a hand through his hair. “The grounds are not that difficult to navigate, so I should be fine.” A flash of concern was in his eyes. “Is the bunker where my ship is being kept safe?”

“Your ship is secure, and the bunker has been equipped with numerous spells by me. If it was broken into, I would know about it.” Luna reassured, handing him a metal key. “This is the only key that can open the padlock. Keep it with you, just in case.”

“Thank you.” Kaleb replied. Getting up and stretching slightly, he gave her a thankful glance. “I will do what I can to shed some light on this matter. Farewell, Princess Luna.” The doors opened as he took a few steps, and Luna called his name. He turned back.

“I’m not sure if this is the right phrasing, but I think it goes: May the Force be with you.”

Kaleb smiled. “You are correct. May the Force be with you as well, Princess Luna.” And with that, he went through the second set of doors, which closed behind him with a gush of wind. Taking a deep breath, he walked down the hallway. Whatever introspective questions I have can wait. I will not let this interfere with the investigation, and I will find out the truth.


The mid-afternoon sun shone brightly in the gardens of Canterlot Castle, with shadows being cast by the large trees or canopys set up to provide shade. This made it easy for Kaleb, who twisted and snaked around the trees, to keep anyone from following. He had resorted to this after getting close to the place where the guard was supposed to be, taking time beforehand to study the formations of the flowers so that he wouldn’t reign suspicion from rushing.

Brushing the pollen off of his shirt, Kaleb sighed, as he observed a small clearing with a stone bench and a wooden lawn chair to the side. He moved his open, stretched hand close to the ground, and reached out to the Force. Other than the local wildlife, he did not detect anyone. Perhaps I am in the wrong place, or…

Senses alerted him to a pony approaching the clearing, moving quickly but quietly. Kaleb knelt down behind a tree trunk, waiting and watching. After a few moments, a guard pony entered the clearing. The pegasus had orange fur and a blue mane, with golden armor covering his body. He carried a wooden staff, with metal coverings on each end. He stood there for a few moments before beginning to practice with the staff.

Kaleb continued to have his hand low to the ground, feeling the life energy around him that was the Force. Even after a few minutes, he could detect no one else other than the two of them. I will still approach with caution, but I am more likely to believe that I can trust him. He observed the fighting style. It needs some more work, but it’s not bad.

Moving around the trees, he made his way toward the guard, revealing himself about five feet away. “Good technique, but it still could use a little work.”

The guard jumped, startled, and moved his staff toward Kaleb, who brought his hand into its path. The staff froze only a quarter of an inch from Kaleb’s palm. The guard looked astonished, as Kaleb set his bag down. “Whoa, how did you do that? Do you have some kind of magic?”

“Sort of,” Kaleb replied. “Just to warn you, I will know if you are lying and if you have anyone watching us. I believe that I have the upper hand here.”

The guard met his gaze. “You’re the person Luna told me about. Don’t worry, I come here alone. Besides, I’m clearly the better fighter between the two of us.” There was a relaxed vibe to him, something Kaleb liked.

Kaleb looked at him. “Just to be clear, are you challenging me?”

“Let’s say for the record, yes I am.” The guard had an edge of sarcasm to his voice, but it was playful. “Let go of the staff.”

“Very well,” Kaleb replied. “But you’re not the only one who has trained with a staff.” Kaleb let go, and gripped the weapon, pulling hard as he moved away. Kaleb spun the staff, moving to hit the guard in the leg. The armor-clad pony moved quickly, using flutter-like movements of the wings to keep on his hooves. He charged towards Kaleb, gripping the staff as Kaleb had stopped, and yanked it hard, using his wings for support. The staff went to the guard, and jumped into the air, using his wings to soar over Kaleb as he moved the staff down toward his shoulder.

The guard was fast, but Kaleb was faster still. He rolled and dodged the attack, landing on the balls of his feet before charging forward. The guard twirled the staff around, combining his hooves with his wings to create a tunnel of air around him that he could maneuver easily. He tossed the staff to his wings, using the air to switch it over to his other wing and to the other hoof. He jumped, using his wings both to give the staff speed and blind Kaleb’s senses with the wind. The guard brought the staff down onto Kaleb’s forearm.

Kaleb winced a little at the pain, breathing heavily along with his opponent. My fractured connection to the Force has affected my reflexes and senses, along with my fighting, he thought with a little bit of alarm. He’s holding back, but I would surely be dead or knocked unconscious if he wasn’t, or if that was an electrostaff. “You’re good, really good.” He used the Force to push the guard to the ground, and he took the staff, observing it. He offered the pony the staff, and he took it. “I haven’t sparred like that in a long time, but that was good.”

“Yeah, it was,” the guard said, smiling a little through his exhaustion. “I don’t believe that I caught your name, though. I’m Flash Sentry, by the way.”

“I’m Kaleb Taymar, it’s nice to meet you.” They shook, and Kaleb took the chair, moving his bag while Flash took the bench.

“You have some impressive fighting skills, but they seem to be more defensive than offensive. Is that more of your style?” Flash asked curiously.

“More or less. Where I’m from, that was the style I trained in. It’s designed for blocking and moving quickly, buying time for innocents to retreat rather than directly attacking.” He paused for a moment. “You’re fighting style is unique, especially with use of your wings and the air currents.”

Flash nodded. “It’s designed large open areas, including aerial conflict. Part of royal guard training for pegasi involves being able to fight while flying. The staff is more of personal choice. To tell you the truth, you don’t seem like the soldier type.”

Kaleb shook his head. “That was not the mission statement for the group I was a part of. The Jedi Order were peacekeepers, sworn to promote peace and harmony. I would rather talk than fight, but I did when I had to. It was only during a war that Jedi took military roles, and those three years are hard to talk about, to say the least.”

“I’m sorry,” There was a reassurance in the guard’s eyes. “War changes you, in what you see. I haven’t been in conflict, but my uncle has. It’s important to always keep a part of you there, so you don’t change too much. I thought you would be older, from what Princess Luna told me. We’re about the same age. I’m twenty one.”

“Nineteen.” Kaleb replied. “I was fifteen when the war began, close to sixteen. I’ve been trying to get better, to seek help. It’s nice to talk to someone who understands.” He cleared his mind from the Clone Wars. “I don’t know how much time you have. How long have you been a guard, and what is your role exactly?”

“Don’t worry, I have plenty of time. I’m assigned to this quadrant, most guards just stay in one spot, just being aware and occasionally moving.” He coughed slightly before speaking. “I was recruited out of school, by Shining Armor no less. I was about sixteen or seventeen when I got my cutie mark, and he saw my reflexes. I went into Equestrian Guard training, qualifying for being a royal guard. He took me in, and I’ve been under his command for two years. He’s a good captain, and has a balance seriousness and humor, along with caring for us.”

Kaleb nodded. “The princess said that you had information relating to the break in at Twilight Sparkle’s library.” Kaleb noticed the fear in his eyes, and Flash glanced around. “It’s okay, I know this is hard for you. I am able to sense if we are being watched or eavesdropped, so you’re safe”

“Thank you.” Flash thought back for a few moments, then began. “I was patrolling the grounds of the castle, it was around one in the morning. I was on the west side of the grounds, when I heard a large crash. I went to see the tower, which had several windows broken, and I hid in the surrounding woods. I hid since I wasn’t sure of the numbers, or what I was getting myself into. There should have been a guard that patrolled to that area, but they never came. I saw several ponies sneak out the back door, and I followed them, keeping in the shadows. The light illuminated their faces; from the lamps around the grounds.”

“Did you recognize any of the intruders, or what they stole?” Kaleb asked, keeping his voice steady as his payed attention to every word.

Flash nodded gravely. “I couldn’t tell, they had whatever it was in a satchel. They were all Royal Guards; one of them was Cadence’s personal guard. His name is Alpine, he has a scar over his right eye. As soon as I saw, I retreated, heading back and ending my watch.” He looked guilty. “I should have followed, I could have been brave…”

“You were smart,” Kaleb reassured. “There’s a time to take action, and then there’s a time to leave to be able to think and strategize. You made the right decision, I can tell you that.” He glanced around. “Why didn’t you tell Shining Armor? I’m sure that he would deal with the matter in a reasonable way.”

“I wouldn’t have any other evidence other than my testimony. If the other guards were in on this, they would have lied to protect themselves. “Flash hesitated. “Shining Armor hasn’t been himself lately, or not the way he used to be.”

“How has he changed?” Kaleb inquired.

“He’s become more distant from us, and less commanding. Spending more time with Princess Cadence, and every decision he makes is based on her suggestions. Alpine doesn’t supervise us; most of the times he’s off doing his own thing, but he makes sure all of the tasks are complete. I don’t know whether it’s because of the wedding, but he’s been like this for months now.” The guard gave him a curious glance. “What are we going to do?”

Kaleb thought for a moment before responding. “Observe and listen. That’s all I can do for now. My suggestion for you is to lay low. As a witness, you could be in danger.” He thought back to what Luna had told him. “Love, in some ways, can blind you from the truth. We need do this without his help, but we have to be careful. Observation is the only way that doesn’t give away our intent.”

Flash dug at the ground with his hoof. “I’m not happy about laying low, but I’ll follow your lead if it means not endangering myself or others. However, if you need anything, or if something is about to go down, I have your back.”

“Thanks, I appreciate it.” Kaleb nodded to Flash as he stood up. “Don’t worry, I’ll let you know one way or another. I should be going, but I wish you the best.” Taking his staff, Flash walked out of the clearing back in to his post.

Gazing at the sky for a moment, Kaleb began the walk back to the castle. This is a lot of information to process. Since there are no cameras, I’m going off of eyewitness testimony alone, which is difficult to confirm without other witnesses or evidence. Waiting for the right moment of confession, whether verbal or through actions, is the best way of go about this. I just hope that it isn’t too late.


The level of awkwardness was already high when Princess Cadence had rejected Twilight’s greeting, but this was at a whole other level. Kaleb observed this as he walked into the main dining room for dinner. It was a large room, with plenty of space for everyone, including Cadence’s guards. As he walked into the room, he noticed a large guard with a scar over his eye, watching over everyone. That must be Alpine. He looks familiar, but I don’t know how. He thought as he walked over to the table. “Hey Twilight, how are you…”

Twilight sighed and gave him a glance. “Great, just great. Perfect day with Cadence and my big brother.” She walked away, looking more disappointed than ever. Kaleb looked around, about to say something to her before he was interrupted.

“Everyone, please sit down and eat. There’s plenty of food for everyone,” Princess Celestia called as she and Luna sat down. Thinking that it was best just to lay low, Kaleb walked around and bumped right into Fluttershy.

“Uh…hi.” That was all Kaleb could get out, as the two exchanged a quick nod before both moving their separate ways. It wasn’t with malice behind it, but a simple acknowledgement, he noticed. Perhaps, after this wedding is over, we can talk. He managed to find a seat as the conversations began across from Sweetie Belle and Spike.

“Hey Kaleb,” Sweetie Belle began quietly. “How has your day been?”

“Interesting, to say the least. It’s been a lot of work, as is for any special event. How was your day?”

The young unicorn sighed and looked down at her plate. “I was helping Rarity, and it she was under a lot of pressure, and she kind of…yelled at me.”

Spike immediately looked at her. “It isn’t your fault; Rarity shouldn’t have pushed you that hard.”

“Thanks Spike.” She ate her meal in silence, glancing at the rest of the CMC. Apple Bloom was with her sister, laughing and having a good time. Even Scootaloo, who tried to remain cool, was talking to Rainbow Dash. Rarity remained at a distance, glancing at the clock, waiting for the moment to get back to her work. “I’m not hungry anymore, I’m going to bed.” She got up from the table and walked out of the dining room.

Spike looked at him. “She’s angry at me too? All I was trying to do was help…”

“Sometimes that’s all we can do, whether the other likes it or not,” Kaleb responded. “We always have to try.” He thought back to the book on manticores in his leather bag. “I guess knowing the right words is difficult.”

He tried to restart the conversation with Spike’s day, but Twilight’s anxiety has rubbed off on him. So, the two ate their meals in silence. As chocolate cake was served over a half hour later, Spike moved his plate over to Kaleb. “Take this to Sweetie Belle, but don’t tell her it’s from me. The frosting isn’t my favorite anyway.”

He nodded. “I will, and I think she could use some company.” He took the plate and stood up. Moving quietly, he sneaked out of the dining room while Cadence was in conversation with Alpine and Shining Armor. The guard’s eyes were fixed on the Cadence, so it was the perfect opportunity.

Kaleb made his way up the stairs, moving quickly with silence as he went. Dusk light shone through the windows as he crept through the hallway, casting a shadow on the wall. Deep in thought, he glanced around as he balanced the two plates. If Flash is right, this will make things more complicated. I need to make sure that I can protect those around me, even making sure that they can protect themselves. But how can I do that, and with who?

His mind flashed to a simpler time, where Master Yoda was first teaching him to meditate. It was at dawn, and he was tired. But there was something that captivated him, and a quote came back to him. Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is. An idea began to form in his head. As he rounded the corner to Sweetie Belle’s room, he lifted the plates in the air using the Force and knocked on the door. “Sweetie Belle, it’s me. I just brought you some dessert from the dining room.”

A minute later, the door opened and Sweetie Belle emerged. “What kind of dessert?” Her question was answered by the plate in front of her. “That does look good.”

“I figured we could eat together, if that’s what you want.” She nodded, taking the plate from him. Kaleb closed the door and sat down, setting his plate on the table and putting out two forks. He placed his bag gently on the floor. Sweetie Belle sat opposite of him. The room was dimly lit by the sunset, creating an evening atmosphere.

The two began to eat in silence at first, enjoying the sunset slowing fading to night. After a few minutes, Sweetie Belle sighed. “Have you ever fought with your siblings before?”

“Well, I didn’t have siblings, not that I can remember,” Kaleb explained. He paused, thinking of Rogue before speaking again. “But I did have someone I was close to, who was like a brother to me. We did fight, mostly about small things like who was going to be responsible for maintenance that day; flying or navigation was a big one. But we…still cared about each other, and there were many times we got along.” Gazing at the window, he remembered those arguments. “Rarity still cares for you, even though she doesn’t show it at the moment. I imagine that this is a time of high stress for her.”

“I guess, it’s just that sometimes she isn’t acting like herself.” Sweetie Belle countered. “But she never berated me in front of anyone, and was trying to help, she just gets overwhelmed.” She gave Kaleb a small smile. “That friend that you talked about; he sounds great. I would love to meet him one day.”

Kaleb smiled, hiding his grief for Rogue’s death. “He was something else, and one of the best friends I could ever have.”

They had both finished their cake; the pieces were small. He closed his eyes. Perhaps, there is a way to help protect my friends from harm. If I teach her this one thing, she would be protected. He paused a few seconds before opening his eyes. “I’m going to teach you something, if you want to learn.”

Sweetie Belle’s eyes widened. “Thank you, but why now in Canterlot?”

“I think that it might come in handy at some point.” He stood up. “Have a seat on the floor, just like in Fluttershy’s garden.”

Sweetie Belle got up from the table and sat on the floor, with Kaleb sitting cross-legged opposite of her. The last echoes of sunset created shadows on the floor. “I’m going to ask you a question, and I want you to give your best answer. What is the most powerful tool that a Jedi can have?”

She gave him a puzzled look, and started thinking of what it could be. I want to say lightsaber, but that would be too obvious. Maybe he wants me to answer that, but he could want me to think harder.She thought for a moment more. “The Force?”

Kaleb smiled. “You’re close, and in a way right, depending on your point of view. You know, I thought you would have answered it with a lightsaber.”

Sweetie Belle chuckled. “I nearly did, to be honest. But what is the answer?”

He stated it simply. “The most powerful tool a Jedi can have is…the mind.”

The young unicorn look confused. “What do you mean? I thought that the Force would be more powerful.”

“In some cases it can be, depending on how you interpret it. The mind, however, is something else. The Force may be powerful on its own, but focus, discipline, and concentration can be more powerful, helping to guide it.” He looked at her. “Do you understand?”

She thought for a moment. “Kind of, but I’m still confused. What do you mean by helping to guide it?”

“A demonstration should help.” Kaleb got up, and pulled his lightsaber out, holding it. He hesitated slightly, but took a deep breath. This is about protecting her, not my own hesitations. He ignited the blade, the blue light shining in the darkness of night beginning to emerge. He outstretched his arm, holding out to the side, being careful not to hit the walls.

“This lightsaber is very powerful, and I like to think of it as an extension of my arm. It doesn’t feel unnatural, but it feels like a part of me. It takes a large amount of training to be able to wield it well, and the Force plays a large part in that. But it is not all of that.” He moved his hand in a semi-circle, the lightsaber pointing upright, illuminating Kaleb’s face in a blue light. “Using your mind to concentrate the power of the Force makes it concise, and can help with the lightsaber.”

Sweetie Belle was silent through all of this, listening to Kaleb. She gazed at the lightsaber, as Kaleb pressed a button, and the blade vanished. He turned on a small lamp by the bedside, and sat back down.

“I think I understand now. The mind can help guide the Force along, giving it more focus on a smaller point rather than less focus on a larger area,” She answered. “It’s just like the stream; adding rocks makes the current small but powerful.”

“Exactly,” Kaleb responded. He paused, figuring out how to phrase what he was going to say. “The mind is important, and that’s why it is critical to know how to protect it.”

“What do you mean by protect it? Are there attacks other than physical with the Force?” Sweetie Belle asked, looking at him.

Kaleb closed his eyes. “Yes, there are.” He reopened them. “Are you familiar with a mind probe?” She shook her head. “It’s a technique which allows a Force user to break into another mind, being able to read your innermost thoughts, feelings, and possibly predict your actions. For the person whose mind is at risk, it’s painful.”

Sweetie Belle eye’s widened in horror. “That’s terrible, I can’t imagine how it must feel. Why would you tell me this?”

“Because I’m going to teach you how to protect your mind.” He responded. “I hope to Faust that you are never in this position, and hopefully you never will be. Beyond the Force, there’s magic I know nothing about, possible spells that act in the same way. My hope is that this can help you if there is no time, and possibly save your life.”

Sweetie Belle started to hyperventilate, but with great effort, calmed herself down. This took a few minutes, but Kaleb was patient with her, even breathing along with her. Finally, she sighed and looked at him. “I guess I can never know what’s out there. I’m a little shaken, but I’m ready.”

Kaleb took a deep breath and began. “Listen to everything carefully before you try and attempt it.” She crouched up a little, concentrating. “I want you to go into the breathing meditation like before, feeling the stream of the Force, and keeping it open at a small level. Imagine an image, something that means a great deal to you. Focus on it and nothing else, do not let your mind wander. Examine every detail, reflect on it, remember it.”

She closed her eyes and begin to go into meditation. Sweetie Belle took about four minutes to feel the Force and control it, keeping the stream in mind. I know the picture I want. She imagined an image of a summer day with Apple Bloom and Scootaloo. She tried to focus on the image, picturing every single detail, every moment. But still it was difficult. Every time she got a certain point, her concentration faltered. Concentrate, come on. There were blue and yellow flowers that day…darn it. Feel the Force, do this right. Remember the expression on their faces as they jumped into the lake... She could feel walls on her mind, shielding her, slowly raising. But every time they got to a certain point, her concentration would lapse, and the walls would come crashing down. I need to do this, or at least I hope I can…what the…

Kaleb watched her carefully for the six minutes she focused on the image, feeling the Force flow around her. Although he couldn’t see into her mind, he could sense her defenses rising and falling. She has the idea, but it does take practice. Nobody can master this in one night, that would be almost impossible, even for the most skilled Jedi. Still she’s doing remarkably well…

He noticed her fatigue as she slumped a little. He reached over and tapped her on the shoulder, snapping her out of the meditation. She jumped a little bit, opening her eyes and breathing hard, as if she went for a half-mile run. Collapsing against the bed, she looked at him. “I felt something, but I was still distracted. Why did you stop me?”

“I’m sorry, I forgot this can take a lot of energy for someone who’s not used to it,” Kaleb apologized, rubbing his hand through his hair. “I couldn’t see into your mind, but I could sense the Force around you. You did remarkably well for your first time.”

Sweetie Belle grimaced slightly. “Well, I was doing my best. But it was so difficult. I couldn’t concentrate for more than a few seconds. I felt my mind strengthen, but falter every time I reached a certain point.”

Kaleb nodded. “It’s difficult, it took me a while to be able to do it with ease. This was the first thing Master Johanna ever taught me. Even though I had lessons with Master Yoda until I was nine, this took me at a while to do properly. Keep practicing, and you will get it down.”

She nodded. “Thanks.” Hesitating a little, she asked her next question. “Are you training me?”

“There’s a difference between teaching and training.” He noticed she was unsatisfied with the answer. “Even if this is the only thing I teach you, it’s still extremely valuable. Keep it secret, as always. There may be a time when you know that you’ll be ready for more, and who knows? Knowledge is more than just power or skill, it’s being able to look at the world around you and notice the smallest details, which could have the largest impact.”

She still looked unsettled. “How will I know when I’m ready? I want to see those details, I want to help others. I want to give them hope.”

“You’ll know, trust me.” He stood up, looking out at the window. “I must go, and I really did enjoy dessert with you.”

She stood up, the moon reflecting on her fur. There was uncertainty in her eyes, but a determination that still was there.

She wants to use the Force to change the world, whether I train her or not… She will. I cannot let her experience what I did, she’s too young. Nobody at her age should have to see war, carnage, destruction. But maybe it’s time that I stop treating her as a burden of my own problems, and for the curious, determined young pony that she is.

He turned around, and sat back down. “You know, you remind me of someone, and she was one of the most determined Jedi I ever knew.”

Sweetie Belle looked slightly shocked and curious. “I do? But I barely know the Force.”

“And yet, you have her determination, optimism, and sense of humor.” Kaleb remarked. “We were both apprentices around the same time. She was better than me in a lot of areas, and we often trained together. She was one of the most loyal, generous, kind-hearted friends I ever had. I think that if you had the chance to meet her, you two would get along just fine.”

“Your friend sounds remarkable,” Sweetie Belle responded. “Were you two traveling the galaxy together?”

“Not exactly, but we went on a few diplomatic missions.” Kaleb closed his eyes slightly. He opened them, shaking the thought out of his head. “I know that it’s frustrating for you, wanting to learn more about the ways of the Jedi and the Force. I can’t say I know how you feel, but I understand, even if I don’t show it all of the time. I argued with my master nearly all of the time when I was your age. But my life is not your life. I know you want to use this power to change the world, to bring hope to the most desolate of places. I want to support you, but you have plenty of time. Enjoy being with your friends, your family.”

She looked at him. “I do, I love being a part of the Cutie Mark Crusaders, and I love Rarity, even though she doesn’t see it some of the time. Reading Power Ponies comics with Spike has become something I look forward too. But I also want your life. What you did with your master, going to different places, finding adventure, helping others. Why are you holding back?”

I won’t tell her about the war, or what I went through. He thought of how to phrase what he was going to say. “There are some things you don’t know about my life. If you did, you would have a different perspective.” He stood up, taking his bag. “You have the heart of a Jedi, I can tell you that. Don’t lose that, but have patience and enjoy what you have now.”

She nodded, still looking curious. He walked to the door, looking back at her and then opening it and moving into the hallway. He closed it, moving at a quiet and measured pace to his room.

He kept that pace as his shadow flickered on the walls due to the lighting. Even if it’s one thing, I still feel better she knows how to guard her mind. Arriving at his room, he unlocked the door using the key he was given earlier, and entered, closing the door and locking it carefully. His luggage was set by the foot of his bed. Immeditally, he cast his hand to the ground, scanning the room with the Force for two minutes. I am not being watched, at least not in here. Placing the bag with the communication devices on the bed, he took out the book on maticores, and set it on the desk, turning on the lamp and closing the shades. The room filled with light as he sat down on the floor and began to meditate, using it to organize his thoughts.

At dinner, I saw the guard pony described as Alpine. He fits the description of what Flash told me, and he was close to the couple. I never had the chance to see Shining Armor and Cadence up close other than this morning. They did stick together, but I think that’s not unusual for couples that are to be married. Only time can tell. I need to keep an eye on Alpine, he might…

His meditation was interrupted by three soft knocks on the door. Kaleb jumped up, landing softly on the ground. As he walked quietly on the balls of his feet, he took the lighsaber out of its case, keeping it out of sight from his front side. He turned the handle slowly, and opened it less than an inch, the pony on the other side making him put away the weapon quickly. “Fluttershy…”

“May I come in?” He opened the door, enough for her to come in, and then closed it, locking it. She took a chair, with him still standing up. “We need to talk.”

He looked at the clock on the wall. “Now’s not a good time, I just got back from somewhere. It’s probably a good idea to get to bed…”

“You’re stalling.” She called through his bluff, and he fell silent. “I’m just trying to do what other couples do, Kaleb. We talk about situations that make us uncomfortable. You didn’t reach out.”

“I sent you a few days afterwards, left it on your doorstep. It should have explained everything.”

“I kind of…threw that letter in the fire,” She explained, a little embarrassed. “I was a little more angry than I should have been.”

“It was probably justified,” He replied. “I’ve been trying to give you space, is that not what couples are supposed to do?”

“They are, but still.” She looked around, seeing the book on the desk. She walked over to the desk, placing her hoof on the cover. “Why are you even pursuing this? It’s useless, that manticore died because you stopped me from helping it.”

Kaleb paused for a moment. “Nobody truly knows the cause of death. If I can figure out what caused it to die, I can prevent others from suffering the same fate. Look on page 342.”

She turned to the page, and read it to herself. “The eye color is wrong, and this does not even apply to the species of manticores in the Everfree Forest. The ones here are located south of where we are.”

“It might be a variation of the disease,” Kaleb countered. “For that species…”

“You’re in denial, and you just don’t know it.” she argued. “Do you really think that saving this manticore can save our relationship. Is this your version of an apology? Because if it is, then we’re done.”

Kaleb paused for a few seconds, but nothing more than that. “No, of course not. But if figuring out what caused this death can save millions of lives in the future, then that is something I am willing to do.” He sat down on the other chair. “There is a moral obligation to look into this. I took an oath, to follow the Jedi Code. I feel like I don’t know what the right thing to do is anymore. If I did not have the foresight to see that the manticore was sick, than that death is my responsibility. Let me ask you a question; do you think that love can blind others from seeing the truth?”

It was something he had wondered ever since Princess Luna had posed the question. Something that Flash had mentioned about Princess Cadence and Shining Armor, who was abandoning his own post for being with her.
Fluttershy looked shocked. “What does this have to do with us?”

Kaleb sighed. “I don’t know what the right decision is to do anymore. I am second guessing myself. Should my personal life and my moral obligation as a Jedi be separate, or is there a way to combine the two? Which one is more important, and which will save more lives?”

“I don’t…have an answer for that.” She faltered, then composing herself. “I thought I would want to hear an apology from you, for keeping me from saving it’s life.”

“It’s justified, I overreacted.” Kaleb acknowleged, gazing at her. “I want to apologize, but I need to know the full consequences of my actions. You deserve more than one that keeps both of us in the dark.” He ruffled his hand through his hair. “It’s been a difficult day, for both of us. The pressure of a wedding is strong, it affects all of us. I was just talking to Sweetie Belle, it’s been rough for her.”

Fluttershy closed her eyes and thought for a few moments. She opened them. “I still want an apology, but I see your point. Still, it could take years to find out what did. For now, I’ll take it, but I want a full apology the second you find out.”

“I’m okay with that. I might figure out the answers to my moral questions long before that. It’s not an easy choice to make.”

“Whatever choice you make, it will be a good one.” She replied, trying to give him some kind of comfort. Even if it wasn’t the amount she wanted, a little bit of reassurance would go a long way. “Good for Equestria, for yourself, and for me. Besides, either way, we are still having tea, whether as a couple or friends.” She paused. “There’s something else I need to talk to you about.”

Kaleb nodded. “What is it?”

“You left this at the cottage the night before Hearts and Hooves Day.” She took out a small prescription bottle with Kaleb’s medication, and placed it on the table. “I just realized today you didn’t have it. I was worried that you didn’t have medication for the past few weeks, I know you took it from this bottle before Hearts and Hooves Day.”

“Thank you. I was taking it from here for the few weeks before that.” He took the bottle, smiling slightly. “I have a supply of medication at the library, so I’ve been just using that. I was never off it.”

“That’s a relief. Angel accidently got into it a few days ago, he was really hyper, he was bouncing off the walls. Eventually, I had to use tea and even his old bedtime story to calm him down.”

Kaleb froze, tuning out the rest of what she was saying. His mind raced to a possibility, one that needed to be tested. “Sorry, could you repeat what you just said.”

“I was just talking about his favorite bedtime story, it’s about these two…”

“No, before that, something about his behavior.”

Fluttershy thought back. “He was really hyper after he took it, and he took a liking to it very quickly.”

Kaleb tried to hide his alarm. “It shouldn’t have had that effect, it’s an anti-depressant. It should make you more tired.” He opened the bottle, noticing that some of the pills have been crushed into powder. He dipped his finger into the powder, and put it in his mouth. Fluttershy stared at him with the strangest expression. Noticing the sweetness, he looked at her. “This isn’t my medication.”

She looked confused. “What do you mean? It has the bottle and everything.”

“It’s sugar, just trust me. I know that I may sound crazy, and you probably don’t much of a reason to trust me at this point, but please do.” He handed her the bottle.

She hesitated, but took it. Dipping her tongue in the bottle, she tasted the powder on the sides. Her eyes widened a few moments later. “You’re right. I think these are placebos.”

“No wonder Angel was addicted to them, they’re just like the sugar cubes he likes,” Kaleb said. “I was on these for about a week and a half before Hearts and Hooves Day, I even took these the night before. Meaning the night the manticore attacked, I was not on my medication. The episode I had that night couldn’t have been prevented since it was a physical reaction, but it was significantly worse than it could have been.”

“You need to see Dr. Bluejay about this, but he might be still on vacation.” She looked at him with concern.

“He has to be back by now. I know the wedding is making everyone busy, but I’ll try to see him before the ceremony.” He looked at her. “How about this? Let’s talk after the wedding, after I get everything sorted out with him. Our relationship may be up in the air, but we’re still friends, however awkward it may be. Deal?” He held out his hand.

She shook it. “Deal. I hope everything goes well. I should be going, but I’ll see you soon.” She walked out, noticing that Kaleb’s other hand was outstretched under the table.

Kaleb sighed, swearing as quietly as he locked the door behind her. We weren’t overheard, I could tell. Damn that was intense, but I guess both of us needed to talk. I haven’t seen Dr. Bluejay around, but I’m sure he’s in his office.

He stood up, going to the lamp. I still have one question; if answered one way it could change the entire viewpoint of how I’m approaching this. Dr. Bluejay is extremely careful with distributing medication, I know that for a fact. He makes sure every one of his staff knows who gets what, and he helps out when he can. But if Luna and Flash are right, and something is going on here, is my medication switch related to the break-in? Is someone trying to keep me from the truth? He turned off the lamp, extinguishing the room into darkness.

Author's Note:

Hello everyone! This chapter was a challenge to write, but I think it was worth it. I've always loved a good mystery/thriller, and adding the suspense to this story adds to the Canterlot Wedding arc. For Flash, I combined his Equestria Girls personality with a little bit of Maverick from Top Gun, so just imagine Vincent Tong doing his impression of Tom Cruise. The apprentice that Kaleb mentions to Sweetie Belle will be revealed in the opening of Chapter 16. She's one of my favorite characters in all of Star Wars, and I am both excited and nervous to write her scene. As always, May the Force Be With You!

Edited by Mine Menace