• Published 1st Aug 2012
  • 5,639 Views, 75 Comments

Equestria Noir Case 3 "Brothers in Blood" - Jacoboby1

  • ...
6
 75
 5,639

Chapter 2: Evidence

Chapter 2

“Evidence”

“Could somepony please explain what just happened?” I said looking from a giggling Cadence to a fuming Twilight.

Cadence smiled at me “I have the power to reinforce the love two ponies have for each other”

“Which she shouldn’t have used on me without asking!” Twilight said still fuming

“You can create love?” I asked looking at the pink princess curiously.

Cadence shook her head “Nopony can create love; I simply remind the two ponies why they fell in love with each other in the first place. My power doesn’t work if the love isn’t there” She finished that last bit with a smirk.

Twilight and I looked at each other then quickly turned away. Suddenly my coat felt hot with embarrassment. Did I love Twilight? If what Cadence said is true…Damn it! Why was I so concerned about this? So what if Twilight feels strongly for like I do her? Did it help with the case? Hell no.

I looked at Cadence “Before this whole incident began you said Shining was on edge? Can you think of anything that would cause him to act like that?”

Cadence tapped her chin with her hoof then shook her head “I can’t think of anything aside from…” She looked at Twilight then back to me.

“Aside from what?” I said my eyebrow rising.

Cadence looked down at her hooves “I wanted to tell Twilight this later but…”

Twilight looked at her sister in law with a worried expression “If you and Shining are in any trouble Cadence…”

Cadence shook her head “No it’s not that” A smile slowly came to her face “It’s actually good news”

Twilight smiled “Well I’m here now so tell me, so what’s the good news?”

Cadence smiled a little “Well, Shining and I…we’ve been together for quite some time and we…bore fruit”

Realization dawned on both me and Twilight, our eyes became wide and we both said at the same time “YOU’RE PREGNANT!?”

Cadence smiled happily “Yes, I was looking for the opportunity to tell you Twilight”

Twilight looked dumbfounded “Whe-when did you find out!?”

“Only about a week ago, you’re going to be an aunt Twilight” The princess said smiling with glee.

Twilight’s jaw dropped “I’m….you...and Shining…me...an aunt...Oh Celestia”

I caught Twilight with my leg before she could faint on the ground. This was obviously a shock to her. I know I would be shocked if I found out my brother and foal sitter were doing it. I gently wrapped a shocked Twilight in my magic and set her down on the couch. She was muttering incoherently about the craziness of it all.

“Will she be okay?” Cadence asked looking at Twilight worriedly.

“I haven’t seen her this dumbfounded since she tried to watch Ponception” I said dryly. I turned to Cadence and I was back in detective mode. “You don’t mind if I look through some of Shining’s things do you? I could find a clue as to why he’s been on edge”

Cadence nodded “I’ll take you to our room then”

We walked into a small bedroom. The place had a simply twin bed and a desk. Nothing extravagant but then again this was only a temporary place for the couple. I looked at Cadence “The desk belongs to Shining?”

She nodded “Yes, he uses it as a letter writing desk mostly. Keeps up with all his friends in the guard”

I walked to the desk and used my magic to open the drawers and began sifting through the contents. Nothing inside was of much interest, in between bills, letters from comrades in the guard and love letters to Cadence that I left unopened to respect the couple’s privacy nothing stood out. Then I got to the bottom. I lifted the letter before my eyes and read it.

Shining

You have no right to Cadence and you know it! I will never forget how you stole her from me that night! I won’t stop until she is mine once again. Shining, I know we were friends once but this is the ultimate act of betrayal. Marrying the mare I love and making a public spectacle of it! Have you any decency left anymore? I want you to know I will not stop pursuing her until the day one of us is dead!

Your former friend

Sharp blade

“Sounds like Sharp blade didn’t know when to back off” I thought to myself. I put the letter inside my trench coat and kept digging, I found more letters from Sharp blade, all spouting out words that were laced with hatred and feelings of betrayal. Looks like Shining took great care in hiding these; I almost missed several of them in the drawers. So this confirmed my theory about Shining being on edge because of Sharp.

I looked around the room some more and found more letters like them, no responses from Shining though then again CSU might find them at Sharp’s apartment. I turned back to Cadence “I think I’m done here, I’m going to go talk to Shining over at the detention center”

She nodded and her violet eyes looked at me in earnest “If you do see him, tell him I still love him”

I nodded in turn “Even if he killed Sharp?”

Cadence looked at me then down on her hoofs then back to me. “I can’t explain it Private, but I know in my heart Shining didn’t do it”

My expression was neutral “I’ll see what I can find out from him then”

Cadence looked at me “Also, keep Twilight safe for me will you?”

This caught me off guard “Sure, of course I will why wouldn’t I?”

Cadence slowly smiled then turned around “My spell only works if the love is there…”

The room suddenly felt like a furnace.
____________________________________

It was a long and awkward walk to the detention center. Neither I nor Twilight was willing to talk about what happened at the house. I gave Twilight the letters to occupy herself with reading them. I wasn’t in the mood or the mindset to dwell on Cadence’s spell. So we just kept walking silently until we got to the detention center.

Once inside a guard told us where Shining was being kept. Twilight ran like as if a Manticore was chasing after her. I followed behind and we came to the visiting area. On the other side of the glass was Shining armor. He was a stallion a bit older then I was. He was tall, had a dark blue mane and deep blue eyes. His horn was a sectioned horn like mine and he was well muscled from years in the royal guard. Twilight ran up to the glass. “Shining! Please tell me you didn’t do it!” She said in a pleading voice.

His blue eyes turned to her “Twilli! It’s great to see you!” He smiled “I’ve been hoping to see you again though not like this”

“You didn’t answer my question you idiot!” Twilight said indignantly “Did you kill Sharp blade?!”

Shining Armor shook his head “No I didn’t! I don’t remember what happened but everypony thinks I killed him!”

I gently pushed Twilight aside and looked at the guard before me “Shining Armor, I’m Detective Private Eye; I was hired to help solve this case”

Shining looked at me then realization hit his face “So you’re the detective Twilley wouldn’t stop talking about”

“Is that right?” I looked at Twilight, her face flush with embarrassment. “Shining you say you didn’t kill Sharp Blade?”

“I didn’t kill him! I hated the guy’s guts but I didn’t kill him!”

I looked at Twilight “Twi, let me talk to him alone”

Twilight was about to protest when she caught a look from Shining, she relented and stepped out. I turned to Shining and sat down in a chair opposite him.

“You say you didn’t kill him but two witnesses will testify that you were there with the body how do you explain that?”

Shining shook his head “I was going to meet him today but it wasn’t to kill him”

“Cadence let me look through your drawers”

“How is she?” He was as desperate for answers as I was. But I wasn't going to let him slide out of my questioning.

“Don’t change the subject Shining, I found letters in your drawers that were from Sharp Blade. Many were dating back to months before the wedding, all threatening and degrading both to you and your wife”

Shining looked at me “Yeah, I got the letters and I was going to talk to him about it this morning”

“To tell him to back off?”

“Wouldn’t you?”

“I wouldn’t kill over it”

“I already told you I didn’t kill him!”

“Then who was the pony two officers will testify was in there at the exact hour Sharp Blade was killed”

“That was me but I didn’t kill him!”

“Then who did?”

“I don’t know, I just remember going to the apartment and then…blank”

“You don’t remember?” I said suspiciously

“I know you don’t believe me. Nopony does but I don’t remember what happened between me arriving at the apartment and me standing over my former friend’s corpse”

I wanted to believe him, but temporary amnesia is not exactly a solid alibi. I didn’t have enough evidence to get Shining off the hook so I decided to approach from a different angle. “So if you didn’t kill him, is there anypony else who would want to kill Sharp Blade?”

The white stallion thought for a moment “Sharp Blade was never the friendliest pony but I can’t think of any enemies he might’ve had”

“Did he have any friends I can talk to?”

“He did have a mare friend at one time but I don’t think they're seeing each other anymore”

“Can you give an address to find her?” I said sliding a piece of paper under the glass. Shining lifted a pen with his magic and began writing it down.

“This was her address the last time I saw her. Her name was Ocean Breeze, she’s a soap maker”

“How do a soap maker and a guard get together?”

“Beats me, their relationship didn’t last though. Only a couple of month’s worth”

I took the paper after he was finished writing “Thanks, I’ll see where this leads”

Shining looked at me as I got up. His blue eyes were searching me. “Tell me, is Cadence alright?”

I didn’t say anything for a bit then the words came out “She still loves you”

I stepped out of the room without saying another word.
_________________________________________________

“I can’t believe you would put my brother through all that!” Twilight said as we walked down a canterlot street.

“I got the information and that’s what counts Twilight” I said flatly

“What counts? Private this is my brother we’re talking about! You can’t treat him like a criminal!”

“According to the evidence we’ve gathered so far it’s starting to look like it” I said, again flatly

“Don’t you have a heart? My brother could go to jail because of this” Twilight said looking at me

“Not my problem”

“What?!”

“I said it’s not my problem if he goes to jail or not”

“How can you say that Private!? Shining is my brother he would never do anything like this!”

“Newsflash Twilight, ponies change”

“How can you be so insensitive!? Don’t you care whether or not ponies go to jail or not!?” Twilight said getting right in front of me.

“I do care, though I can’t argue with evidence Twilight. If the evidence points to Shining being the murderer then that’s that”

Twilight’s violet eyes flared with rising fury “I’m not going to stand here and let you accuse my brother of something he didn't do!”

“Then find the evidence! Twilight the first rule of detective work is that ponies lie! Evidence can’t lie!” I marched on not even bothering to look at Twilight.

I knocked on the door of a small house at Canterlot Lane. The door was opened by a pretty young mare with a short blue mane and soft coral colored coat. She had a cutie mark which depicted a piece of soap. She looked at me with coral colored eyes.

“Can I help you?” She said in a rather rough sounding voice.

“Are you Ocean Breeze?” I said

“Yes and you are?”

“I’m Detective Private Eye; I’m investigating the murder of Sharp Blade”

“Sharp Blade is dead?” She said inquisitively

“Yes and I would like to ask a few questions” I said simply

“Come in then, I won’t have any clients in a while”

She had me and Twilight sit on a coach the place smelled strongly of soap and oils. I might want to come back here after the case to sample some products. I watched as Ocean sat in front of us in a chair.

I explained to her what evidence we had and spoke “Where were you this morning when Sharp Blade died?”

Ocean looked down then back up “I was…at the apartment when he died”

“You were there?!” Twilight exclaimed in astonishment. I to was surprised at this.