• Published 24th Nov 2017
  • 189 Views, 0 Comments

Serenity's Tale - ElementofOrder



Quiet passion, obedience, decorum: these are the words Serenity lives by. Duty, friendship, harmony: these are the words that will guide her to greatness, tragedy and joy. From a polite filly to an elegant lady, watch her tale unfold.

  • ...
 0
 189

Chapter 4: Is It Over?

Serenity’s Tale- Chapter 4: Is It Over?

“Are you excited to be starting school, Serenity?”

Serenity frowned with annoyance.

“Not public school, Miss Ether. I really wish ponies would stop asking me that same question. It’s annoying.”

“Alright, then. Why learn at a school when you could learn at home or through experience?”

“Well, I wanted my father to teach me, but he said that it would be better for me to learn with other foals. He said they would help me grow.”

“I see. You’re a very polite and obedient little filly, Serenity.” Unlike some of the foals here. Spoiled and entitled aristocrat brats is what they are.

“Thank you, Miss Ether.” A radiant smile formed on Serenity’s face. She called me a good little filly, just like mother did!

“No, thank you Serenity. Seeing somepony like you among the nobility’s youth makes this old mare happier than a Hydra in front of a herd of fat buffalo.”

Serenity laughed. “That doesn’t make any sense, Miss Ether!”

“Why thank you. The greater things in life don’t make sense. One last question, Serenity: what do you want to learn at my school?”

Serenity started to answer and then paused.

I want to learn magic, but that’s kind of a stupid answer. Everypony here is learning magic. What should I say?

“No need to come up with a fancy speech or complicated answer. Just be honest with me and yourself. What is it that you want?”

“T-the world!”

“Oh. My, you’re ambitious for a four year old.”

“I-I mean I want to know more about the world and magic. Like what’s out there and why the sun has to be raised by so many Unicorns and how magic works—“

Ether gently put a hoof on Serenity’s mouth, halting her verbal vomit.

“I understand what you mean now, child. You can breathe now!”

Serenity inhaled deeply through her nose and then exhaled.

“I have to say that I am impressed with your present standing, Serenity. I don’t know any four year old foals who act so…composed as you do.”

“Mother said that a lady must act with pose and decorum. I don’t know what either word means, but I think she means to act calmly.”

“Your mother has set a good example for you. Now about your magic…”

Uh-oh. That doesn’t sound good. Why is she talking about my magic? I haven’t taken the test yet!

Your magic is surprisingly developed for somepony your age. You have good control for a beginner. What’s your secret?”

Serenity sat up straight as a pole, fidgeting as nervousness set in.

“Um, well, f-father taught me some basic spells and made sure I practiced every day.”

“Hmm, yes, very good. Very nice, smooth flow.”

Serenity raised an eyebrow and scratched her head.

“Uhhh, Miss Ether? What are you talking about?”

Ether’s focus shifted from the magic flowing inside of Serenity to the filly herself.

“Oh! Just rambling to myself, dearie. Don’t pay me any mind.”

The old sage’s horn glowed as she swapped her crescent-shaped glasses with an oval-shaped pair; a silly popping noise accompanied the spell. A sharp “ahem” drew both ponies’ attention to Winter Gaze.

“Pardon me, Master Ether, but I was wondering if it was yet time for the foal’s test.” Please say yes. I cannot take any more delays!

Serenity’s heart raced and her pulse pounded in her ears.

Okay, this is it. Just do what I can and do my best, like father told me to.

Ether smiled and waved a hoof at the middle-aged mare.

“Wonder no more. Serenity’s aptitude test is over. You can breathe now, dear. Relax! You’re as wound up as a Tatzlwurm twirled around a stick!”

Serenity’s eyes widened and Winter Gaze’s jaw hung open like a broken-hinged door.

It’s already over? That wasn’t hard at all, thought Serenity.

Ether chortled and patted Serenity’s head, a bright smile on her wrinkled face.

“That wasn’t so bad, now was it? How do you feel?”

Serenity took a breath and returned a smile.

“I feel really good, Miss Ether. It didn’t even feel like I was taking a test.”

For a few moments, all Winter could do was stare with dumbfounded shock. After regaining her composure, she straightened her posture, stuck up her nose and put on her usual cold and serious expression.

“Now that the test is over, what is your opinion, Master Ether? Reflecting on the foal’s,” Winter paused as her face scrunched up in a faint sneer, “performance…I doubt she will have any difficulty at this institution. She can begin novice level classes imme—“

A surprised “mmph” escaped Winter’s throat as her muzzle was held shut with magic.

“Thank you for your input, Headmistress Winter Gaze. Now I’ll give mine. You don’t mind, do you?”

Serenity giggled as Ether made Winter shake her head and salute.

“There’s no point in putting her in beginner classes. It’s not like she’ll learn anything new.”

The elderly mare stood up and gathered up all the various objects from the test, putting them into a satchel.

That bag’s way too small, Serenity thought as she watched with intrigue. But everything’s fitting in there just fine.

“I think Serenity will do better in intermediate level classes, learning magic that’s a bit more advanced.”

Winter Gaze quickly protested.

“She isn’t anywhere near ready! She doesn’t even have her Cutie Mark yet! How can the teachers select the appropriate courses for her if she has not even found her calling or talent?”

“She’s what, four years old? She has plenty of time to find herself. Besides, learning shouldn’t be limited to what a pony is good at. A few of you here seem to have forgotten that.”

Serenity stared at the satchel until she felt a gentle tap on her back.

“Yes, ma’am?”

She looked between the two mares and then focused her attention on Ether.

“As the co-overseer of your test—and a wise old mare—I have decided to put you in a higher level class than other foals as young as you. Think of it as being on a medium level while other four year olds are on a low level.”

Serenity raised a hoof and Ether acknowledged her with a nod.

“How come you’re putting me in a different class than other foals? Shouldn’t I start at the beginning?”

Ether scoffed and waved a hoof.

“Technically, you are a beginner. But I’m not looking at what you can do. I’m looking at what you’ll be able to do someday.”

I don’t get it.

A confused frown formed on her face. Seeing her puzzled expression, Ether said “What I mean is that you might not be able to do much now, but I see a lot of great potential inside of you. I like potential, little Serenity, and I like you. The way I see it, there’s no need to let an unlit flame turn dim before it has a chance to burn bright.”

Serenity’s tail swished back and forth as her face lit up with a grin as bright as sunshine.

“So I’m going to do great things? Is that what potential means?”

“It means that you can do great things. It all depends on you. Any questions, Serenity?”

“Oh! How did you fit all those things in your bag? Can I learn how to do that?”

Ether laughed as she led the young Unicorn out of the room.

“Oh, you saw that did you? That spell’s too high for you right now, but here’s the secret to it.”

Serenity looked closely as Ether leaned in and opened the satchel. Rather than the bag’s interior, some of a room and a few objects from the test could be seen—as if viewed from a window.

Whoa. Where in the world is that? “How does that place fit in there?”

Ether chuckled. “That’s the beauty of it. That room isn’t in here, it’s out there. Don’t think of this as a bag or this building as a school. Think of both as doors. Doors that lead to amazing new places.”