• Published 24th Nov 2017
  • 188 Views, 0 Comments

Serenity's Tale - ElementofOrder



Quiet passion, obedience, decorum: these are the words Serenity lives by. Duty, friendship, harmony: these are the words that will guide her to greatness, tragedy and joy. From a polite filly to an elegant lady, watch her tale unfold.

  • ...
 0
 188

Chapter 9: Making a Good Mark (Part 2)

Serenity’s Tale- Chapter 9: Making a Good Mark (Part 2)

Wonderwick followed Serenity home and the two resumed their studies after greeting everypony. Every now and then, Equilibrium would check up on them and each time he would smile. Seeing them laughing, chatting and learning eagerly filled his heart with joy. A stray beam flew out the door and struck him in the face.

“AH!”

“Oops! Sorry Mr.—“Wonderwick covered her mouth, trying to hold back a giggle.

Serenity giggled and snickered behind her hoof.

“Is something the matter, girls?”

“Heehee. Father, your face is orange!”

Equilibrium stepped into the room and inspected his reflection. As soon as he saw himself, he let out a hearty laugh. Serenity and Wonder let loose their own laughter, rolling on the floor and kicking their legs. Equilibrium smirked, aimed his horn at the two fillies and unleashed two bursts of magic.

“It’s quite alright, Wonderwick. Now you and Serenity have some extra color too,” he said with a grin.

Wonderwick stared at Serenity, whom was now entirely black. Serenity stared back at her, as she had splotches of pale yellow on her coat and mane. Both fillies then turned their gazes toward Equilibrium, faces and horns aglow. The stallion galloped through the halls as Serenity and Wonderwick chased after him, firing color spells with jolly abandon.

During their colorful chase, Tranquility was struck by a beam and turned white. She growled in annoyance, then grinned as she returned the favor. Wishing Star was turned red with green stripes by her daughter; she too then joined the chase. The five of them ran around the mansion changing colors on and around themselves. They were completely engrossed in their merriment until a startled shriek froze them in their tracks.

“What in the world are you all doing? Stop this at once!” shouted Summer Rain.

“Um…I’m terribly sorry, Miss Rain. I’ll start cleaning up right—“

Summer silenced her with a raised hoof.

“I don’t believe this. The lot of you carrying on like this, making an enormous mess…”

Serenity, Tranquility and Wonderwick all hung their heads and flattened their ears.

“Dear, please. We were merely having harmless fun. This is easily reversible.”

“And you didn’t even get most of the house, did you? Honestly, look at this technique. Allow me to show you how to really spread some color.”

Everypony was too stunned to avoid the massive splash of color from Summer. As she dashed through the halls, laughter returned and followed her. The six ponies kept playing until the sun kissed the horizon.

“Sorry for contributing to the, um, mess,” said Wishing Star.

“Oh, don’t worry about it dear,” replied Summer. “It’s nothing a few days of clearing spells won’t fix. In fact, there’s a wall we can leave as it is. A little memento of this afternoon. Let’s just not make this a routine.”

Her eyes locked right onto the three foals. Tranquility chuckled sheepishly.

“Right. Of course, mother.”

The Rain family bade farewell to Wishing Star and Wonderwick as they walked home.

The following day, Serenity sat next to an empty desk when she arrived at school. Huh? Where’s Wonder? She’s usually here before me.

Foals filed into the classroom and eventually class began. However, there was still no sign of Wonderwick. Serenity half paid attention to the math lesson, repeatedly glancing at the door and the empty desk beside her.

Is she okay? Did she wake up late? Or…Or is she sick?

“Serenity? Are you paying attention?”

“M-ma’am? Uh, y-yes ma’am, Ms. Fortuna.”

“Then would you come up to the board to solve this equation?”

“Um…O-okay.” She rose from her seat, unaware of a light gray aura around her rear hoof. Serenity let out a startled yelp as she flopped face-first onto the floor.

“Nice landing, tiny,” said Runewelt.

“Very graceful,” said Winter Solstice with a mean smirk.

Red-faced, Serenity hurried to the board as foals snickered around the room. Her heart raced as she levitated the chalk and stared at the numbers on the board. To her flustered, distracted mind, the equation may as well have been Griffonese.

“Do you understand the equation?”

“Um…”

Serenity’s ears turned toward the door as it creaked open. Wonderwick shuffled into the room, coughing into her little pink hoof a few times.

“Sorry I’m late, Ms. Fortuna.”

“Feeling sick again? If you’re not well, you should stay home.”

“Yeah,” sneered Morning Glow. “Don’t spread your filth, mud horn.”

Estrella Fortuna glared at the orange filly. “Don’t use that kind of language in my class, Morning Glow. Are you sure you’re okay, Wonder?”

She nodded and smiled. “Yes, ma’am. I felt kind of bad this morning and mama had me stay home until I felt better.”

“Alright, if you’re sure you’re well. Take your seat.”

Once Wonderwick sat down, Serenity leaned over. “Are you sure you’re okay?”

“Yeah, I’m fine. It’s just the same old icky feeling. I’ll be all better later.”

If I was allowed to swear, I would swear that she’s shaking…I hope she truly is alright.

Contrary to her word, Wonderwick’s condition didn’t improve over the course of the day. She picked at her food at lunch, moved sluggishly at recess and barely stayed awake during the last stretch of class.

What’s wrong with Wonder? Serenity thought. She’s looked ready to faint all day.

“Is it okay if I go home to take a nap, Ms. Fortuna? I’ll try to make it to tutoring.”

“Don’t worry about it, Wonderwick. Go on home and rest.”

Wonderwick trudged to the door and bumped her head on the frame. “Owie.”

“Serenity, why don’t you walk her home, make sure she gets there safely?”

“Yes ma’am, Ms. Fortuna.” She and Wonder took their time traversing the streets, neither of them wanting the latter to exert herself too much.

As they walked, Serenity could feel a cold weight bearing down on her from all sides. It was as if somepony had dumped a thick blanket of snow on her and kept slowly piling on more. Gulping nervously, she glanced around—and for the first time, noticed ponies glaring at her. Their eyes were full of contempt as they watched her pass by before turning their heads away haughtily upon eye contact.

What’s wrong? What did I do? Memories of her first day of school played in her mind. Visions of her classmates’ rejecting faces filled her thoughts. A passing stallion cut across Wonderwick’s path and shoved her backwards right into Serenity’s face.

“Out of the way, filthy half-breed.”

Wonderwick’s ears flattened as she stifled a cough and hung her head. “S-sorry, sir.”

With a snort, he began to continue on his way when a light turquoise aura grabbed his tail.

“H-hey! Apologize to her!” Serenity demanded.

The stallion glanced back at his tail, then at the white filly magically holding it.

“I beg your pardon?”

Serenity flinched from his tone and flattened her ears. “Um, please? Sir.”

The older pony merely rolled his eyes and departed with a scoff. “Rude little brat.”

Serenity’s jaw dropped like a drawbridge. “I’m rude? I’m rude?! He’s the rude one!”

“I-it’s fine Serenity. Really.” Wonderwick’s chest heaved and she coughed harshly.

“No it’s not! He nearly knocked you over and called you filthy! For no reason, either!”

Wonderwick smiled gently as she stood up.

“Really, it’s okay. That sort of thing doesn’t bother me a bit. Can we get going?”

“R-right. Sorry.”

They walked the rest of the way in uncomfortable silence and arrived at Wonderwick’s home after what felt like forever.

“Thanks for walking me home, Serenity.” She yawned, rubbed her eyes and knocked on the door. “I’ll try to see you later. Can you save the notes for stuff I miss?”

“Yeah. I hope you feel better soon, Wonder.”

Serenity waited until Wonder Eye opened the door, said her farewells and then returned to the school.