• Published 12th Nov 2017
  • 1,863 Views, 20 Comments

Grief - BronyAugustus



A teenage Button mash has lost his dad, and he has decided to end it. This is the story of what he plans to be his last day. Can he be saved?

  • ...
1
 20
 1,863

The visions part 3: a broken heart

Button walked through the door with a mixture of nervousness and fear. Half of him desperately hoped that something would intervene, or that somehow his worst fears would prove untrue. The other half knew exactly what he was about to witness, and was futilely trying to brace him for it.

He didn't wait for Luna once he was in the third vision. He raced up the stairs, straight for Sweetie Belle's room. He stoped in front of her door, and slowly opened it. What he saw shocked him:

A series of scarves, tied into a noose, were hanging from a beam overhead. Sweetie Belle sat on her bed, writing a note with her magic. He trotted up to her.

"Sweetie Belle, don't do this. Please. I love you, with all my heart. You're more precious to me than anything else. Please, don't."

She didn't seem to notice him.

"No! Please don't!"

"You can't interfere, you know." He spun around to see Luna standing in the doorway. "She can't see, hear, or feel you. You might as well be a ghost."

The clock struck 10. Sweetie Belle put the note down and used her magic to push a chair up under the noose. Button began to panic, unwilling to watch but unable to take his eyes off of the filly he loved. He spoke angrily to Luna without turning to face her again.

"Can't you do something!"

"I am just as powerless as you."

He watched, helpless, as Sweetie Belle climbed on top of the back of the chair. Button saw a bright flash, and the chair fell over.

The next few moments became an agonizing eternity. Button watched the flurry of motions helplessly. Her body fell. The scarves pulled taunt. He heard a sickening crunch. He watched her body become still. The eternity ended.

He thought he heard Luna speaking to him, but her voice seemed to come from far away. He was crying, but he didn't notice. He got up and trotted towards the bed, intent upon reading her note. It read:

Dear Rarity and my friends.

I can't go on. I loved Button mash with all of my heart. I've tried, but I know that I'll never heal from losing him. I only wish I had told him that. Then maybe he wouldn't have killed himself. It's my fault. I've lost him. And now I've gone to find him. Goodbye.

Button stared at the note. The whole world was spinning, the ground threatening to give way under him
And he partly wanted it to. He almost wanted the earth to swallow him up, take him away from here. Because it was his fault. Undeniably. He had killed her. He was why she was hanging from the ceiling. His heart sank. He laid down and began to cry.

Luna sat beside him, puting a wing over him. She shed a few tears herself, feeling so sorry for the colt. She knew from experience what it was like to lose the one you love.

"There there, Button. This is a vision of the future, not the present.

"Luna, is this what is destined?"

"Not necessarily. It comes down to you in the end. Remember, this is your choice."

"But I feel so hopeless."

"Hope only dies when we let it. My sister said that once, after my first love died. I loved him truly."

"What... What happened to him?"

"Oh we met when he was one of the royal guards. We fell in love quickly. We lived together for years. Got married. Even considered having kids. But one day, the gryphons attacked. Twas a long and bard battle." She sighed. "We won, but he was killed in the fight. A lot of ponies think that it was jealousy that caused me to turn into nightmare moon, and that was probably the root cause. But it was loosing him that drove me over the edge. In fact, the armor I wore as nightmare moon was actually the armor I wore in that battle. I... Was suicidal then. Not just because I saw myself turning into a monster beyond my control, but because I lost hope."

He looked up at her, and saw the tears in her eyes.

"I started doing this, doing these interventions to guide lost ponies, so that none of them should end up making the same mistake."

"Did you ever get over loosing him?"

"No, not entirety. I've fallen in love again, and that helped. Loving helps with loss."

"You mean Starlight?"

"By Starswirl's beard! Does all of equestria know of our relationship!"

Button smiled. "Twilight's a good princess, but she can't keep a secret to save her life"

Button hugged her.

"Thank you. I think I know what I'm going to do."

"Very well. But first, a gift."

Luna cast a spell. A silver bracelet with a crescent moon appeared. Luna gave it to Button.

"This will stay with you when you wake up. If you ever need to contact me, wear this. It will let me know that you wish to see me. I will come, if I can."

"Why are you doing this?"

"You're the first pony I've done this with. I've had plenty of ponies confess their feelings to me, but never have I confessed mine to them. You're a good colt, and I want, well, I want to be your friend."

The two hugged again.

"Goodbye, Button. I hope to see you again soon. Do write."

"I will."

Ponyville, 5:45 a.m.

Button sat straight up, wide awake. He looked at his alarm clock and groaned. He had woken up just past the point at which it was pointless to try to go back to sleep. He stretched, and as he did something on one of his hooves caught his eye. It was the bracelet!

He stared at it for several minutes, remembering the dream. He took it off and examined it.

"If this is real, than that dream was more than just a dream!" he exclaimed aloud.

He set the bracelet on his dresser. His course was clear now.

He grabbed the bottle of pills and took them into the bathroom, where he set them back in the cabinet where they belonged. He smiled. Today would mark a new begining for him. He would make today better than yesterday.

Author's Note:

Almost done! I'll write one more chapter to this, and then I'll be done. (With this story, but not this universe expect a sequel...eventually.)