• Published 4th Nov 2017
  • 1,262 Views, 66 Comments

Pinkie's Permanent Position - fallen starr



Pinkie has big news that she is afraid to share. After all, it's going to change the lives of everyone around her...and give life, too.

  • ...
2
 66
 1,262

Chapter 5: Discovery

The sickly looking yellow potion levitated in front of Pinkie’s face. “All you have to do is drink this and stand in the middle of the diagram here.” Twilight stomped her hoof on the floor, indicated Pinkie should come take her place. “Then I’ll cast a spell and the two DNA components that are present in the child will levitate and glow.” They traded places, Pinkie moving into the rune-covered triangle, and Twilight moving out.

Pinkie reached out a hoof and grabbed the potion, but paused just before it touched her lips. “I have to be more careful now,” she said, lowering the potion. She looked at Twilight. “This is safe for the foal, isn’t it?”

Twilight offered Pinkie a gentle smile. “Of course.”

With a nod and a salute, Pinkie tipped her head back and drank the potion. “Hm.” She looked around, smacking her lips. “Tastes like math.”

Then the clump of her main, which she had provided Twilight with a week ago, began glowing the same sickly yellow as the potion. She looked around, looking for if the strands of brown curls or the silky white would levitate. Both glowed momentarily before the white levitated.

Then both the pink and the white split in two and converged.

Twilight’s mouth fell open and she ended the spell. She looked at the bits of mane now littering the castle floor and then up to Pinkie. “I guess we know who the father of your foals is now.”

Thunderlane cleared his throat. “F-foals?”

Twilight nodded, glancing from him back to Pinkie. “The manes split apart. Pinkie’s having twins.”

Pinkie placed a hoof on her protruding stomach. “Twins?” Then she swallowed. “And Double Diamond. That.” She licked her lips. “I’m afraid again.”

Without a glance to the dumbfounded Thunderlane, Twilight stepped forward and nuzzled Pinkie. “Don’t be.” She pulled away. “You will be a fantastic mother, Pinkie.” She booped Pinkie’s nose with a smile.

Pinkie did her best to smile. She stretched her lips out, but for the first time, she felt like she couldn’t do it. She felt tears forming in her eyes. “Everyone hates me now, Twilight.”

“Oh, Pinkie.” Twilight wrapped her arms around the sniffling mare. Then she looked over at Thunderlane, widening her eyes meaningfully.

He jumped up and trotted over. “Twilight is right. Your friends love you. Your family loves you.” He put a hoof under her chin, raising her eyes to meet his. “No one hates you, Pinkie. Some people might be a little overbearing and protective. A lot of ponies are going to be surprised. But it’s going to be okay.”

Pinkie nodded. “I just don’t understand why ponies treat each other differently sometimes.” She moved away from Twilight and Thunderlane, pushing at some of the inert mane on the floor. “It’s like when we published our friendship journal all over again! Only this time, it’s only me.”

“It isn’t just you, Pinkie,” Twilight said softly. She wrapped one arm around Pinkie’s neck, pulling her close, and sang softly. “When our friendship was just starting, the sun would not come out. I had all of these fears, I was filled with doubt. Then I met a pony who taught me something smart, with friendship and laughter, nothing will tear you apart!” She grinned at Pinkie.

Pinkie nodded again. Only this time, she seemed more sure of herself. “You’re right. I have everything I need. For me and my foals.”

“That’s right. You aren’t in this alone.” Thunderlane sat on the other side of Pinkie. “Those who love you are right beside you. We always will be. And we’ll always be here to remind you when you forget.” He leaned in, giving her a kiss on the cheek.


Telling Double Diamond would be the hardest part. A week later, Pinkie sat alone on the train to the village, staring out the window. She couldn’t imagine how he would react to the news. Oh, hi Double D, just thought you’d like to know that I’m pregnant with twins! And they’re your foals! Isn’t this fun? She put her head in her hooves and groaned. She really wished Thunderlane could have been with her, but between his actual job and being on the Wonderbolt reserves, he couldn’t just drop everything and travel.

The worry made the ride seem like both the longest and the shortest she had ever been on. Still, stepping off made her stomach churn. She still didn’t have a plan for how to tell him. Not that she usually had a plan, but if being friends with Twilight had taught her anything, it was that a plan was a good thing sometimes.

Like maybe she should have brought someone else, even if Thunderlane couldn’t have come. Starlight or Big Mac would have taken the ride with her. Maybe even other ponies. Why hadn’t she asked? She sighed and trotted off. If she remembered correctly – and she was certain she did -- Double Diamond would be at Sugar Belle’s for lunch right now.

The bakery was crowded. Or as crowded as the tiny village would allow. Still, Double Diamond was easy to spot, sipping his tea in his usual corner seat. She took a deep breath and made her way over to him. She turned on a huge smile and plopped into the seat across from him. “Heya!”

Double Diamond jumped, eyes wide. “Pinkie!” He groaned and then took a deep breath. “How many times have I said not to surprise me?”

“Well, you’re really going to hate what I came to talk to you about! Because it’s a doozy of a surprise!” Maybe talking to him wouldn’t be as bad as she had thought. The words seemed to come naturally. She relax a little. If what she had felt coming here is what Fluttershy felt all the time, she was going to buy the mare a lifetime supply of massages.

“Dear Celestia, what is it now? Do you want to get back together?”

Pinkie grinned and shook her head vigorously, her curls bouncing around. “Nope. But we’ll be seeing a lot of each other. I’m going to have twins.”

Double Diamond’s face went blank. He stared at Pinkie for a full minute before shaking his head. “No. This is one of those practical jokes. Right?”

Pressing her lips into a thin line, Pinkie shook her head again. “Nu-uh. You’re a father now.” She felt a twitch behind her left ear and an itch on her chest. “Oh, but your date is almost here! I’ll go away and we can talk later.” She was standing to leave when his hoof caught her arm.

“No, we need to talk now. This is important.” His hoof tapped the table as she sat. “If I’m going to be a dad, I’ve got to be part of their lives. How are we going to manage this? Should we get back together?”

Pinkie laughed. “I don’t think that’s a good idea. I’d bet my coltfriend is against it, too.” Double Diamond shifted in his seat. “I think the best thing would be to come up with a plan. Your village is pretty far from Ponyville, but I’m not going to move here. It took me a long time to even get here. Of course, you could move to Ponyville, but I doubt you want to do that.” She paused for just a moment. Twilight said we have a couple options. One of us could keep the foals during the school year and the other could keep them during the summer or we could split them and each keep them for three or six months at a time.” Pinkie looked down, tapping her hooves on the table. “I don’t like any of those options.”

Double Diamond nodded his head. “I don’t like those either. We…we have a few months. We should think about it more. Talk about it. With my training schedule…” He rubbed the back of his neck. “Are you in town long? Do you need somewhere to stay?”

“No, no, I’m okay. I’m staying with Party Favor tonight and going back to Ponyville tomorrow.” She paused. “Hey Double D?” He looked up at her. “I was really afraid when I first found out. My friends reminded me that there are so many ponies that love me and will love my foals, and that none of them are going to let us fall on our faces. So try not to worry too much, okay? It’s going to work out.”

He sighed. “Yeah, okay. You’re right.” He looked down into the cup of tea. “It’s going to be just peachy.”

Pinkie smiled. “That’s the spirit! I’m going to go say hi to everyone, so I’ll talk to you later. Have fun on your date!” She hopped off the chair and made her way out of the shop and into the sunlight streets.

Author's Note:

I have all the way through chapter 7 written and I just really enjoy posting and sharing my stories so enjoy another update.

I love hearing all your thoughts on this!

Fallen