• Published 1st Nov 2017
  • 2,621 Views, 124 Comments

DJ Valkyri-3 - Dark0592



Vinyl scratch was just a DJ and Nightclub owner, she wasn't ready for all of this.

  • ...
4
 124
 2,621

Chapter 5: Reason #1

Vinyl was NOT an early bird, and even though they had gone to bed at the relatively early hour of eleven she was like walking death as they trudged to the Night Owl at seven in the morning. She had an extra large cup of coffee floating in front of her while Twilight had a small list she was reading off of.

“Alright, the last thing we need to do before heading to the train station is take care of your place. Don’t worry the train ride is two hours so you can nap in there.” The Alicorn assured the Unicorn, who just incoherently grumbled and took a large sip of coffee in response. Vinyl pushed open the door, which was unlocked, and grumbled at the cleaning crew doing their jobs.

“You’re here awful early, boss lady.” The Unicorn behind the counter grumbled, he seemed almost as tired as she was.

“Oh stuff it Frank, the place is yours for a week. I need to head to Ponyville with Twilight or I’ll die, and we both know I need a vacation.” Vinyl retorted. He was about to roll his eyes, but he saw the concern on Twilight’s face that she still wasn’t able to get out.

“Something serious happen then? I won’t press into your affairs boss lady, just make sure you come back. You sign my checks afterall.” The Stallion said as he continued counting the stock.

“Yeah I’ll be fine, don’t you worry none. Let the server girls know for me, and if I find out you’re shaving the bar tips into their jars for dates again I’ll put you in one of their uniforms and make you do their job for a week.” Vinyl said. The way that his coat seemed to pale and nod told Twilight that it wasn’t the first time.

“Yeah, you got it boss lady. Take care of her, Twilight. Though I don’t think I even need to say that once.” The Stallion finally said. The two smiled.

“Of course, Frank was it? I’m glad Vinyl has some good people to look after her business.” Twilight said. The bartender and the cleaning crew all flashed them a grin before returning to their work. Vinyl walked over to her tables and frowned.

“Yo Frank, who’s been touching my shit? You know they’re supposed to set it back to my height!” She called out.

“Nobody’s touched your shit, Vinyl. Check it yourself!” The stallion called back. Vinyl just rolled her eyes and looked. The way she kinda froze there under the table concerned Twilight, and the look on her face when Twilight walked up and she stood back up proper didn’t help.

“This is real creepy, you said that magic shit was all over right?” She asked. Twilight nodded slowly and Vinyl cautiously lifted the table up a few notches to where it would be just at her barrel again.

“Either I’m six inches taller than I was last night, or someone managed to change my arcane mark when the only pony who knows about it is Frank.” The Unicorn continued softly. Twilight conjured up a measuring tape and took a measurement. She was, indeed, six inches taller than was listed on her charts at the hospital.

“Let’s… not worry about it right now. I’ll send a message o the Princess and kindly ask her exactly what the hell is happening and you take a nap on the train.” Twilight said, using every ounce of self control she had to not start freaking out. It showed in her eyes, though, and her mane as a few hairs seemed to ping out of place. Vinyl just shook herself out of it and took a deep breath before letting it out. Frank was giving her an odd look.

“Alright, I’m outta here. Just remember, you touch my stash without replacing it and you die.” Vinyl called out and proceeded to speed out of the place. Twilight was behind her, sharing in the need to get going already. She penned the letter as they walked but didn’t receive a reply until they were already on the train and Vinyl was asleep against her. She refrained from waking the mare up to read it to her, since there was a middle aged couple in the train car with them napping softly as well, but it put her at ease.

‘Twilight,
This is something that has only ever happened four other times in my memory, and each time it has led Equestria far into happiness and prosperity. You have nothing to worry about, but if I just told you what was happening then you wouldn’t have the joy of figuring it out on your own.
One day within the next week, she will not wake up from her sleep for a full day. You must stay close enough to maintain the connection between your arcane pools or she may be harmed during it. When she does wake up, your lives will probably change forever. I cannot assist you in figuring out what that means, but I’m so proud of both of you.

Celestia’

The part about Vinyl possibly getting hurt concerned her of course, but if this new development was bad then the Princess wouldn’t have turned to her usual ‘educate with experience’ philosophy with things.

“We saw you in the paper, but I never actually expected a DJ would catch your eye, miss Twilight Sparkle…” The earth pony mare across from them said, apparently having woken up from her nap. Twilight studied the tone and the expression and found both to be more curious than anything.

“Neither did I, but things kinda happen.” Twilight replied with a smile, looking at the Unicorn dozing on her shoulder. The Mare across from her chuckled a bit.

“Fair enough. You deserve some happiness.” She said, almost like it was a widely known fact. Twilight just smiled as the mare settled down to resume her nap. She decided to take her own, nuzzling into Vinyl in the process. The rattling of the train around them soothed her into her light sleep.

“Gosh Darnit Twi, wake up before the train gets a movin’ again!” She was shaken out of her ‘light’ sleep by a familiar southern accent. She opened her eyes slowly and found Applejack giving her a smirk. She yawned wide and waved her off, nudging the Unicorn still dead asleep next to her. When she didn’t wake up she rolled her eyes and slid off the seat, Vinyl hitting the cushion with a thud and shooting right back up, eyes cracked and confused.

“Huzzawhazit?” The bleary Unicorn said quickly, looking around shiftily. She finally realized where she was and groaned before getting to her hooves. “Hot damn Twi, you’re comfy.” She continued. Twilight rolled her eyes and turned to Applejack.

“Thanks AJ, I guess I was more tired than I thought.” Twilight said to her friend.

“Well duh, when the conductor poked his head out the front askin’ us to see if we could wake you up before he left what was I supposed to do?” The farm mare replied with a smirk. Twilight pawed the floor slightly, but Vinyl snorted.

“So you guys were waiting for us?” She asked, changing the subject as they started walking.

“Of course we were, after Twi sent us that letter sayin’ she’d be late, and then another one sayin’ she’ll actually be on time but with you got us a might worried, plus we always greet Twi back at the station if she doesn’t fly here herself.” Applejack explained. Vinyl nodded as they left the train and it quickly went on its way. Most of the passengers and greeters had left by now, so Twilight was right in the open for the veritable dogpile that inevitably announced her returned to Ponyville.

“Alright, Alright, girls I’d like to breathe!” The Alicorn wheezed out from the pile, levitating them all off of her.

“And We’d like to see our best friend more often.” Dash replied snarkily. Twilight replied by dropping her from where she was floating a dozen feet in the air, the pegasus snorted as she landed on her hooves.

“She has a point darling, didn’t you give up your crown so that you didn’t have to spend so much time away from home?” Rarity asked. Twilight tsked.

“That was one of fifty-three reasons, to be precise, but you know me coming home this late was so that I could get all of my paperwork done. I still have some that I’ll need to send back in my saddlebags.” The Alicorn practically groaned.

“Yeah, because you were too busy getting dirty with your new girlfriend.” Dash snickered. The two rolled their eyes, ever since they started actually dating Dash had been teasing them like that. Most of the others rolled their eyes too, save for Fluttershy and Pinkie.

“I’m so happy for you two! I knew it was only a matter of time before Twilight found someone nice to bring home.” Fluttershy said with a rare, if slight, teasing tone.

“Now girls, we don’t want to be late for the ‘WELCOME BACK TWILIGHT AND VINYL’ Party!” Pinkie exclaimed, bouncing out of Twilight’s magic on her own as the others were set down.

“Man, it’s been awhile since I’ve been back here. Anyone know if Octavia’s in town? She’s usually a lot earlier back than I am.” Vinyl asked.

“She just got here today actually, I even invited her to the party!” Pinkie replied.

“Pinkie, darling, you invited everyone to the party.” Rarity retorted.

“I mean yeah, but it doesn’t mean I didn’t invite her silly!” The pink mare replied. Rarity just facehooved.

“Alright, let’s get to this party already.” Twilight said, draping a wing over Vinyl as they started walking towards the Library. Vinyl could feel Twilight almost physically elate as the old tree library came into view, and definitely noticed the pace pick up ever so slightly. She definitely missed her Ponyville home.

Contrary to what Vinyl, and everyone for that matter, was expecting there was not an explosion of confetti and a yell of ‘SURPRISE’. The door creaked open and a young purple dragon with green spikes looked up from the table. His grin betrayed the surprise, though, as he slid off of the seat. He was a little bigger than a baby, now, almost like a large dog. His wings still hadn’t grown in yet, but then again Vinyl didn’t know when that would happen.

“Surprise.” He said. Before she could question, though, everyone in the doorway except for Pinkie was startled by a massive crowd of ponies repeating after the dragon, though much louder. Dash was practically on the ceiling, Fluttershy WAS on the ceiling, and Vinyl had practically hid behind Twilight by instinct. They all turned to see probably the entire town standing outside of the library. Twilight was startled again as a particularly scaley individual hopped onto her back, and she turned just in time to giggle as Spike latched onto her neck in a hug. She immediately moved her other wing in an awkward hug before he sat down properly.

“It’s so good seeing you all again, I’m glad to be back.” Twilight beamed at the horde of ponies around her. The replies were varied and mixed together, but she got the gist of it. A great big ‘Ditto’. A lot of them dispersed, but a dozen or some came in closer.

“Awesome! Now that the super duper awesome ponyville hello happened, we can get the real party started!” Pinkie exclaimed form inside the library. They turned to, somewhat unsurprisingly, see the place now turned into a party den of decorations.

“Good ol’ party cannon!” Vinyl exclaimed, eyeing the punch bowl. She did a quick look at the ponies coming in to see if there were any foals. There weren’t, that punch was 100% spiked.

“Come on in everyone, I hope you’ve taken good care of it while I was gone Spike?” Twilight asked, turning with Vinyl to enter themselves.

“Duh! I just hope someone will stay behind and help us clean up afterwards. The Party Cannon is famous for making a party, but infamous for never cleaning up after itself.” The young dragon said.

“Please, there isn’t enough trash that can fit in this room that I can’t clean up in like three seconds.” Vinyl said, reluctantly parting from Twilight’s warm wing to drift over to the punch bowl. Twilight rolled her eyes at her girlfriend’s behavior and turned to the other ponies in the room. She vaguely recognized them all, enough for names at least, but the dozen extras that entered she admitted she didn’t personally know them. All but three.

“Lyra, Bon Bon, Octavia, good to see you guys.” She said happily, giving them all a quick hug as they entered. They returned the greeting and they chatted for awhile until Vinyl casually slid back under the wing that fanned out slightly for that very purpose, passing a cup of punch to Twilight and the other three.

“Yo Octy, how’s Manehattan treating you?” The Unicorn asked.

“Not terribly well, but that’s Manehattan for you. I’m actually moving back to Trottingham with my family, only for a year or two until my contract is renewed. Then I’ll be off to Canterlot for Celestia knows how long that one pans out.” The musician replied.

“Your contract ended? When was that?” Lyra asked.

“Oh I quit it, I couldn’t stand Manehattan any longer. The ponies there rub me the wrong way and it’s so far away from Ponyville I never get to see you guys. A contract is a contract and I do NOT want to pay those fines for entering a new one or changing things up again. Enough about me, though, I only saw it in the papers on the way over but when did this happen?” The Musician replied, ending by nodding towards Vinyl and Twilight. They looked at each other and looked back with matching smirks.

“Long story, but like a week ago. You wouldn’t beLIEVE how adorable she is when she’s hungover.” Vinyl said, earning a playful nudge from Twilight.

“Alright, not in public you two.” Lyra teased. Octavia and BonBon snickered a bit and the two rolled their eyes.

“We’re still good to head through Trottingham together the week before hearth’s warming, right Vinyl?” Octavia asked, a bit of apprehension in her tone.

“Of course, as long as you don’t mind Twilight coming along. She has to meet the folks too.” The Unicorn replied. Octavia’s expression seemed satisfied, but it was like she was expecting that answer.

“Don’t worry, I won’t hog your friend the entire time. I know you’ve been friends for longer than I’ve known her.” Twilight said warmly. Octavia smiled at that and inclined her head. Vinyl looked between the two of them and grinned.

“Yeah, Octy. Twi’s not the jealous type.” She said. Twilight giggled.

“No, Vinyl, I am the jealous type. I just trust both of you.” She said, earning a laugh from the group. The rest of the day devolved into chatting with everyone, every so often new ponies would file in and others would leave. Twilight made it a point to stop Vinyl from drinking too much, finally mixing the drinks she inevitably acquired with her mana water to make sure it was at least slightly diluted.

Before long the only ponies left were the elements and Vinyl. The punch hadn’t been spiked with that much alcohol so nobody needed to be carried home, but Dash sure as hell tried. Spike was starting to clean up after even the elements finally left after promises of breakfast together, but Vinyl stopped him.

“Nah, don’t worry about it Spike. I told you I can do this in like three seconds.” Vinyl said and concentrated. She made sure to drink her mana water today so her reserves were nearly overflowing, even with the drain still there. She made sure not to drag from Twilight's pool, though. She focused for about ten seconds, channeling magic, before the room exploded into motion. Trash disintegrated if it was of material like paper or went in appropriate bins otherwise, messes were cleaned, spills cleansed, the room looked like the party cannon hadn't even gone off in…

“Seven seconds, but I’ll let you have that one.” Twilight said with a smile, pecking the Unicorn on the cheek. Vinyl rolled her eyes and yawned, leaning into Twilight. She had only used about half of her reserves for the admittedly impressive display of magic, but it had taken a bit out of her.

“I’ll make dinner! Since you’ve been gone I went and took lessons with the cakes on cooking!” Spike said, happily moving to the kitchen. He was certainly glad he didn’t have to clean up that mess.

“By the way, when you fell asleep with me… was the reason it was harder to wake you up because I’m draining your magic constantly?” Vinyl asked when he was fully out of the room. Twilight walked them over to one of the couches and sat down, lighting the fireplace with a flash of her horn.

“Yes, but you don’t have to worry about me. Constant channeling just has a bit of fatigue to come with it, but at this rate all it means is that I’ll sleep a little more. An hour or two at the most.” Twilight replied. Vinyl looked almost guilty so Twilight rolled her eyes. “Vinyl, look at the link. Look at my reserves. I’m fine.” She continued. Vinyl did so and her eyes widened. Vinyl didn’t really have that massive of a reserve of magic, but it replenished quickly like most other Unicorns. Twilight’s was… well. If Vinyl’s reserve was a lake, Twilight’s was an ocean. She didn’t even see the drain, at all.

“Ok, point taken.. Geez girl, how did you get so much?” Vinyl asked. Twilight deadpanned at her. She flicked her wings a bit.

“Element of magic, Alicorn of magic? Ring any bells?” The Alicorn asked snarkily. Vinyl facehooved.

“I’m tired, bite me…” Vinyl grumbled. She was startled when Twilight actually did nip her on the ear. She flushed up and Twilight gave her a mischievous grin.

“Hey, wait until I go to bed before you start that up.” Spike’s voice snapped them out of it, walking over carrying two plates of food. “I already ate, it was too good to bring it out first.” He said, happily patting his belly after setting them down on the reading table. Twilight pulled Spike in to hug him close.

“Thank you Spike, I really appreciate it. Tomorrow we’ll head over to Pinkie’s and have her order that special rock candy you love so much.” She said, kissing the top of his head. He tried to wriggle out of her grasp but he giggled at the kiss.

“I’m gonna go to bed now, love you Twilight. Goodnight Vinyl.” he said happily, squeezing in one last hug. “I missed you…” He said. She snuggled him close, and Vinyl felt like she wanted to hug him too.

“Goodnight Spike.” Vinyl said, patting his head sweetly. He grinned at that.

“I Missed you too Spike, I love you too.” She said, letting him rush over to his basket behind the counter to sleep. They both watched him for a while until Vinyl felt herself nearly falling asleep again. Twilight nudged her and pulled her to her hooves.

“Oh no you don’t, it’s been a month since I’ve slept in my bed and I refuse to let you sleep on the couch. I need my snuggle buddy.” Twilight said. Vinyl replied with her tired shit eating grin and let Twilight lead her up the stairs and into the bedroom.

“I love you Twilight.” Vinyl said tiredly as she nuzzled into Twilight’s embrace. Twilight wasn’t going to hesitate giving her the same reply, but she realized something. That was the first time she’d said that. She just smiled warmly and looked down at Vinyl, who had looked up when she didn’t get the response. The actual response was a sweet kiss, eliciting another grin form the mare.

“Yeah, I think I love you too.” Twilight said, both of them giggling before snuggling in for the night.

Reason # 1 why she gave up her crown, she missed home.

Author's Note:

Hopefully this one isn't too scattered or too bad with mistakes, I was writing while playing DnD. Hope everyone enjoys!