• Published 31st Oct 2017
  • 367 Views, 4 Comments

Cutie Mark Crusaders: Legend Hunters - Unicorncob



Our favourite trio goes in search of a couple of scary legends...

  • ...
 4
 367

Suiting Up

When school was let out for the day, the Cutie Mark Crusaders walked out of the Schoolhouse together and walked down the street toward Carousel Boutique. Once their classmates were out of earshot, Scootaloo asked what the three of them had on their minds.
“Sweetie Belle, what were you thinking?!”
The Unicorn could only sigh and look down at her hooves, feeling her friends looking at her from both sides. “I wasn’t. I chose the first names that came to my head.”
“Y’all couldn’t have said Nightmare Moon or somethin’ instead?” added Apple Bloom. “At least there’s info in the book on her!”

Indeed, when the Crusaders went through their copy of Scariest Legends of Equestria, there was next to no information regarding the Hollow Shades Vampony or the White Tail Witch, aside from they were a vampire pony and a witch that came from Hollow Shades and the White Tail Woods respectively.

“Look, I’m sorry I kinda screwed up,” said Sweetie Belle, “but c’mon, we’re the Cutie Mark Crusaders! We’ve faced far worse than some school report.”
“Well yeah, that’s true,” Scootaloo admitted. “And hey, we’re already going to Hollow Shades for the Horrorfest. We’re bound to find some info on the Vampony in the place the legend comes from.”
“Exactly!” The Unicorn squeaked, her smile returning, but quickly fading away again as she realised something. “But what about the White Tail Witch?”
“Well, Rainbow Dash said the Horrorfest is the biggest Nightmare Night party in Equestria,” Apple Bloom pointed out. “Somepony there’s bound’a know a thing or two about the two of ‘em.”
“Good point,” Scootaloo agreed, and a confident smirk crossed her muzzle. “Speaking of Nightmare Night, what’re we taking so long for? We got costumes to pick up!”
The Crusaders, feeling reinvigorated, started racing down the street toward Carousel Boutique.

It didn’t take long until the round carousel-like building in the town square, and the bell above the door tinkled as the three fillies burst in together.
“RARITY! WE’RE HERE FOR OUR COSTUMES!” they bellowed, startling the ponies inside the clothing shop. One of those ponies being a snow-white unicorn with a stylishly curled purple mane and tail, and a measuring tape wrapped around her shoulders. A pair of red, thick-rimmed glasses balanced on her nose.
“Goodness, girls,” she gasped, a hoof on her chest. “I know you’re excited, but please try not to shout the roof off!”
“Sorry, sis,” Sweetie Belle said, much quieter this time. The three of them all wore sheepish grins.
Rarity smiled warmly and swivelled around. “Oh it’s quite alright,” she said over her shoulder. “In fact, you should be excited. I’ve just put the finishing touches on your costumes!”
“Really?!” The girls squeaked, Scootaloo hovering a few inches off the ground with her wings buzzing.
“Mm-hm,” said Rarity, “let me just go and--”

Before she could finish, the door flapped open and a cyan-coated Pegasus mare skidded to a halt behind the Crusaders. She shook her head, flipping her wild, striking rainbow-coloured mane into place. The customers inside the Boutique looked more aggravated than surprised by all these bombacious arrivals, but the fillies were more pleased to see who it was, especially Scootaloo who was just staring with pride.
“Heya, Rarity!” The Pegasus began, an expectant grin on her muzzle. “Got my costume ready yet?”
The snowy Unicorn tutted and rolled her eyes. “Honestly, Rainbow Dash, it’s called knocking. I’m surprised that door is still on its hinges with the lot of you bursting it open. But yes, I have yours ready too.” She added with a friendly smile.
“Sweet!” chirped Rainbow Dash, pumping her hoof. “C’mon, lemme see what ya got!”
Rarity turned her head back around and went to the back.

Rainbow Dash looked down at the Crusaders and took the opportunity to get them excited for their trip.
“So squirts,” she began, smirking and gently ruffling Scootaloo’s mane, “how hyped are you right now?”
“We are so hyped!” cheered Scootaloo, punching the air with a hoof. “This is gonna be the best week ever!”
“Y’all have no idea how much convincin’ it took Applejack to lemme go too,” Apple Bloom added with a sigh, rolling her eyes. “Ah had to tell her Ah’d be okay up and down fer weeks!”
“Rarity was fine with me going,” Sweetie Belle muttered, though not sounding too enthused about that fact. “A bit too fine. I have a feeling she’s going to wrestle us into some really gaudy costumes just so she can show off her fashion line. I don’t really wanna be constantly stopped by somepony asking who did the glitter on my princess dress or whatever frilly thing I’m probably gonna get.”
“Well, Rarity kinda knows what she’s doing when it comes to clothes,” Rainbow Dash assured her with a grin. “So frilly or not, it’s gonna be awesome!”
Sweetie Belle couldn’t help but smile. “Well, true.”

“They’re heeeere~!” sang Rarity, who emerged from the back with four differently coloured bundles of clothing wrapped in light blue magic. “Make sure you try them on and let me know what you think, I want to have the adjustments finished before you leave tomorrow night!”
While Apple Bloom, Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash looked positively giddy as they unfolded their costumes, Sweetie Belle just looked curious as she took hers in her magical grip. Instead of being sparkly and pink or something like she expected, it was all black, and a bit heavy as well.
She set the pile of fabric down and lifted it piece by piece, revealing a pointed hat and a cloak. Beneath that was what seemed to be a leather strap used to carry books, with a copy of Advanced Witchcraft locked inside.
“You made mine a witch?” she asked her sister, sounding rather surprised.
“Well I’ve noticed your magic has been getting much better,” Rarity explained with a smile, “and you all wanted a surprise for your costumes, so I thought, why not a witch?”
“Wow, thanks!” squeaked Sweetie, and wasted no time trying on the costume. The cloak looked old and worn, but it felt incredibly comfortable and not too warm either. The hat’s point was crooked on the tip for extra effect, and the rim was a perfect fit on her head, even including a little hole for her horn. The leather strap fit perfectly over her shoulder, the book resting comfortably on her side.
The filly trotted up to the mirror and got a good look at herself from different angles. She looked like a bonafide witch! Her coat and mane really stuck out from beneath the dark dreary costume too.
“Wow, this looks great!” cheered the filly, and then turned to look at her sister. “Though, where’d you find this book?” She nodded to the Advanced Witchcraft tome at her side.
“Oh, that?” Rarity blinked, and waved a hoof dismissively. “I figured you’d need something nice and ‘witch-like’ for your costume, so I asked Twilight if she had any books on the subject. She said she had three dozen of them, and… she kindly offered that one to me.” She added hesitantly, which Sweetie Belle saw right through. “Alright, I grabbed the first book I saw before she could lecture me on all of them. I was in a hurry, you see!”
A giggle rose from the filly. “Well, thanks! I’ll take care of it.”
“I know you will, darling,” the older Unicorn smiled, then added with a sternness to her voice, “but do be careful. I know how dangerous strange magic books are, so I wouldn’t recommend trying anything in it.”
“I won’t!” The filly promised, though her eyes drifted to glance at the book in the leather strap. Her magic was growing stronger, but even she knew she wasn’t strong enough to attempt anything like advanced witchcraft. Though, she was sure having a skim through it out of curiosity couldn’t hurt.

“Wow, Sweetie Belle!” cried Apple Bloom, who rushed over alongside Scootaloo. “Y’all look really cool!”
The Earth Pony filly was wearing some brown overalls and a red straw hat, with what looked like straw attached to it that was styled exactly like her mane, which Sweetie Belle assumed was tucked into the hat. The Pegasus filly beside her was suited up in a set of Pegasus Legion armour from the old legends, which looked like it was made from real metal. Either Scootaloo was stronger than she looked, or that was some special lightweight stuff. The helmet had a purple mohawk sticking out the top. It even had a little shield on the side, with her cutie mark on it.
“You guys too!” The Unicorn filly squeaked, and the three of them buzzed excitedly as they admired each other’s costumes. “Is that real metal?”
“Sure feels like it,” said Scootaloo, giving her costume’s chest a pat with her hoof, letting out a soft metallic clank.
“Y’all look like a real witch too,” Apple Bloom chirped. “Maybe the White Tail Witch’ll teach ya a few things?” She snickered, giving her friend a gentle nudge.
Sweetie Belle kept the smile forced on her face, as she was hoping not to have to think of her schoolwork so soon. “Hehe, yeah.”

“Hey, check me out!” Rainbow Dash called out, and the Crusaders turned around. Scootaloo let out a loud gasp of glee when she saw the older Pegasus was set up in a similar suit of armour to her own. The gleaming silver armour shone majestically under the shop lights, and a mohawk of rainbow mane stuck out from the helmet.
“Woooaaaahhh!” Scootaloo gazed at her in wonder, like she were a hero straight out of a comic book. “You look so awesome!”
“I know, right?” Rainbow smirked and struck a pose, puffing out her chest. “Anyone trying to scare me’ll be too awestruck by my sheer awesomeness to even think of anything but how awesome I am! Oh, and thanks Rarity.” She added meekly, losing her pose and grinning awkwardly at the Unicorn whose eyebrow was raised expectantly.
Rarity then smiled proudly. “Think nothing of it, darling. I’m just happy you all love your costumes. Now, do they all feel comfortable enough? Any tightness or chafing?” The pegasus and fillies confirmed their costumes all felt nice and comfortable. “Wonderful! Keep them with you for your trip if you’d like, but for Celestia’s sake, don’t damage or stain them! I only have so much fabric after so many costume orders this week alone!”
“Alright, alright,” Rainbow Dash muttered, and slowly pulled the costume off herself. “We’ll keep ‘em safe till tomorrow night. Won’t we, girls?”
“Uh-huh!” The Crusaders nodded, slowly and carefully undressing.

Rarity smiled and took each costume into their own bubble of shimmering, light blue magic so she could telekinetically fold them into four neat piles.
“Wonderful,” she chirped, and set each pile into a fancy paper bag and floated each one to its corresponding owner. “I’d keep them safe till you get to Hollow Shades if I were you. But since it’s you, at least keep them clean on the train.”
Rainbow Dash cocked an eyebrow. “How do you know we’re gonna put them on on the train?”
“Darling, how long have we known each other?”
“Eh, fair point,” the Pegasus shrugged. “But we’re not gonna do that, are we?” She looked at the Crusaders, sneaking a sly wink at them. The fillies caught on and giggled, trying to look as innocent as possible.
Rarity, despite her clear scepticism, decided to give the girls the benefit of the doubt. “Well, alright then.”