• Published 31st Oct 2017
  • 287 Views, 1 Comments

Innocence Lost And Found - Bibliomane



A foalnapping has occurred on the eve of the solar eclipse celebration. And the main 6 must enlist the help of an unlikely source to save the day, and bring the foals home.

  • ...
 1
 287

Chapter 1

Author's Note:

I began writing this story sometime between S2 E14 The Last Round Up, and Derpy's return in S4 E10 Rainbow Falls. It began when a friend told me about the over reaction some idiots made with Derpys speaking debut. First making the assumption that she's mentally disabled, and secondly that Hasbro was using her to make fun of the mentally disabled. All just because she's different from the other characters, and didn't have a high pitched voice (as they gave her in Slice Of Life to "fix her" for the insensitive louts). Not very inclusive of those people that think only those whom conform to a set parameter of behavior and traits are worthy of inclusion, or the magic of friendship. As I was researching for the story I began thinking also as to the other animation glitches and incorporated an explanation and resolution for them as well.

As I wanted to stick to the on screen continuity as close as possible, I researched all the history that was available. Very annoying as there was no actual timeline created, just the ambiguous "many, or thousands of moons ago." I compiled events to come up with an plausible historical timeline to encapsulate the bases of the backdrop of my story. After I completed the story I didn't quite know what to do with it so I kept it around, and made a few revisions when episodes contradicted bits, such as changing Applejack saying that she had to convince Granny Smith to use an irrigation system to, it took her a long time to convince Granny to reinstate it. But with the season 7 finale episodes that completely ignored established continuity there was no compatibility between Shadow Play and anything written before including my story (Hasbro apparently cares more about trying to sell 5 new ponies with the creation of The League Of Extraordinary Gentleponies, then keeping to established continuity), I finally hit Frell it and posted the story here. I suppose Innocence Lost And Found could now be considered taken place in a close parallel universe.

Prologue

The focus is that of a typical Ponyville living room. The camera pulls back to reveal a slightly nervous, and agitated colt with a clapboard cutie mark, wearing a tam hat at an angle. He was restlessly pacing in and out of shot.

"Where is she? We need this establishing shot in the can before we can continue!" He bellowed to everypony, and no pony in particular.

Just then a grey and yellow streak flew into the cameras view and effectively destroyed the set. The director poked his head threw the fabric that was formally the backdrop for the set. With resignation he said, "just say your line."

Derpy appeared from under a pile of props, looked around for the camera and she said. “I just don’t…”

The director out of frustration facehoofed shaking his head as he grumbled, “not that! The line on the cue card.”

Derpy looked about focusing on something behind the camera she took out and put on a pair of heart shaped, rose colored glasses, saying. “This... is a flashback episode." With reverb on the last word.


Chapter 1

Dawn in Ponyville, it's a lovely spring morning. Passing through the town and settling on the Carousel Boutique, the fashion center for Ponyville, as well as home to Rarity, and her sister Sweetie Belle. Inside Rarity was fast asleep in her bed. Shifting threw the living space of the boutique finds Sweetie Belle in a fitful state, kicking her legs as if being chased by an invisible pursuer. The scene changes to reveal, one by one several other school aged fillies similarly effected by their nocturnal visions.

Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, Archer, Sun Glimmer, Cotton Cloudy, Mango Dash, Liza Doolots, Aquamarine, Boysenberry, Erroria (as a Pegasus), and Ruby Pinch.

Panning across Ponyville and over the foliage of the Everfree Forest, diving threw the canopy we find Derpy asleep on a bed of moss thrashing about. She groggily opens her eyes, turning herself upright to sit up.

Yawning widely and taking in her surroundings, her eyes off in separate directions, grew wide with recognition.

She takes to the air, flying above the thick canopy, and away from Ponyville. Moments latter an excited mumbling in a husky almost rasping voice could be heard.

"Oh dear... Oh my! I'm late! Again!" Derpy appears at top speed racing towards town.


In the library of Castle Friendship, Spike is surrounded by boxes of old looking scrolls and books. Beside him are several stacks of books of various color, size, and thickness.

As he rummages threw a rather large box, he selects one of the tomes and plunks himself down on one of the smaller stacks that he had made in an attempt of preliminary organization of the new arrivals to be archived in the library.

As he began reading, Twilight Sparkle passed by the room, registering that Spike was in the room she entered the library, yawning as she did.

"Good morning Spike, I didn't think you were particularly interested in reading anything that doesn't have pictures in it." She casually remarked.

"Huh, no usually not." Spike replied, "but I found this one in the batch of books and scrolls that Princess Celestia had sent over for us to catalog. They came from the archeologists exploring the newly excapated..." Spike screwed up his face. "No that's not right, escalated, no..."

Twilight, whom had been busying herself by reading the titles of the various books, by magically picking them up and stacking them in various piles around her. With a kindly look in Spikes direction, supplied the correct word, "excavated Spike."

A look of whatever registered on his face, as he rolled his eyes and said. "Oh right, anyway, these books and scrolls are thought to date back as early as the Pre-Classical age. I remembered you saying that was when Star Swirl The Bearded was alive."

At the mention of the name, Twilight's ears perked up, and gave Spike her full attention, the books she was levitating crashing to the floor.

"I was reading this one about famous historical figures, it has a few chapters dedicated to him." Spike frowned, "although I still think he looks a lot like that kooky grandpa at the Ponyville retirement village." Spike held the book in front of Twilight's face, pointing at a picture of Star Swirl to add emphasis to his point.

"Spike!" Twilight snapped, "do you know whom you are insulting!? Hmm, only the most important unicorn in the..."

As she continued her rant, Spike rolled his eyes as he stuck his head back in the book. "Yah, yah, I just said that I remembered you talking about him, and that's why I was looking through this book in the first place." Spike continued to mumble in his most sarcastic tone. "You've only been going on about him since you dressed up like him on our first Nightmare Night in Ponyville."

Twilight, still quite headstrong into her lecture, hadn't heard Spikes comment (probably for the best) "... and further more..." Twilight paused frowning, only just realizing that Spike had said something.
She cocked her head to one side as she refocused her attention on him. "What was that Spike?"

Spike looked at her from over the book. "I said... well just listen to this." He dramatically cleared his throat. "It says here that, as we know, Star Swirl was responsible for creating at least two hundred spells, and lists them here. And as you've said before, most are still in common use, however what's interesting here is the author thinks that Star Swirl has left several projects unfinished. Apparently not just the one Princess Celestia gave you."
Spike looked at Twilight, then returned his attention to the book. "The author speculates that he did this on purpose so he could find a successor. Apparently not because he was unable to complete them himself, or because he didn't understand the magic of friendship."

Spike paused to let the implications sink in. "It also speaks of his great work, whatever that is. The bottom half of the page that says what it was is missing."

Spike adopted an uncharacteristic thoughtful look, "I suppose that it is referring to his prophecies, but on the top of the next page, it goes on to say that he made a study of The Elements Of Harmony. Although it doesn't actually call them that. It actually calls them magical gems of incredible power. But, what else could they be, am I right?"

Twilight's eyes went wide with shock, and interrupted Spike. '"I've read every book, scroll, and listened to every story known about Star Swirl! At least I thought I had. But I've never heard about that! Spike what does it say about it?"

Spike had a glazed look on his face. In apparent confusion he asked, "about what?"

Twilight let out an exasperated snort and stamped her forehoof in frustration. "The book Spike, what does the book say about Star Swirl and the Elements? The first time the Elements are mentioned in historical context was when The Two Sisters released them from the Tree Of Harmony to use against Discord. But that happened well after Star Swirls time"

Spike shook off his distant thoughts and replied, "huh... Oh, um, not much. Only that he was making a study of these gems, it seems, well before the defeat of Discord."

Twilight pushed past Spike as she stuck her head closer to the book. "There has to be more, that can't be all there is! There must be some other reference to this!"

Spike let the book go, which was immediately caught in Twilight's magical aura. After flipping multiple pages, she said, "You're right Spike, there's nothing more."

Spike rooting threw another box, rolled his eyes. "Duh, that's what I just said."

Twilight, to caught up in her thoughts either didn't hear his comment, or ignored it outright. "I don't think it would be on the missing page, that seems to be corresponding to the other matter..." As Twilight continued to mutter to herself contemplating the text.

"Apparently this commentary was written by a historian, and obviously wasn't able to make a study of the full extent of Star Swirl's unpublished works."

Spike smacked his forehead. "I just remembered, Pinkie and Starlight Glimmer are already at the school yard, they've been waiting for us since before dawn, Rarity joined them shortly after, and..."

Twilight, with a mane blowing look of shock stammered, "before dawn!? But the preparation setup for the solar eclipse celebration were to start at nine, it's barley eight now!"

As she talked she paced the library, absently picking up a pony bag and magicking it into place across her back. Then stuffing it full of blank scrolls, quills, parchment, ink wells, and other supplies as she made her way threw the castle.

Spike reluctantly scampered after her, trying to keep up. "Spike, if they were going to start early," Twilight said. In her panicked frenzy she absentmindedly ensnared Spike in her magical aura and unceremoniously dumped him, head first, into one of the side pouches as she raced from the castle.

"Then why didn't you tell me before now!?"

From somewhere inside the bag came a muffled reply. "I can't imagine."


Chapter 2

Twilight made her way threw the streets of Ponyville, Spike, now free of the bag bounding after her. Thoughts of seeing Rarity again racing through his mind, the unpleasantness of his temporary confinement already forgotten.

Suddenly a bolt of multi hued light loopdy looped out of the clouds and streaked past them and the other pedestrians going about their daily business in town, giving everypony a start.

"Giggle! Good morning everypony!" Exclaimed Rainbow Dash as she disappeared beyond the buildings at the edge of the square.

"Um... Hello Twilight, Spike." Came the timid greeting of Fluttershy, a stark contrast to the greetings of the former pegasus.
"Oh, I hope I haven't startled you farther with the abruptness of my greetings." She earnestly and meekly apologized.

Spike rolled his eyes, "hello Fluttershy," he said.

Twilight covertly swatted Spike with her tail in retaliation for his rudeness. "No Fluttershy, you haven't we're just fine. Would you care to join us, we're on our way to the school yard?"

Fluttershy nodded her acceptance, "thank you, sometimes walking through town this early in the morning can be rather off putting."

The trio arrived at the school playground that was slowly being transformed into the staging area for the festivities and viewing areas for the celebration.

Besides Starlight Glimmer, Pinkie Pie, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, and Rarity, the staff of the schoolhouse and students, it looked as if Mayor Mare had enlisted the help of a good deal of the population of Ponyville and quite a few visiting ponies in town for the celebration.

All were lending a helping hoof wherever needed. In some cases, attempting to clean up debris near a grouping of picnic tables.

To no surprise to anypony present, could be seen a rather large box, formally containing a good amount of presently destroyed, or semi destroyed decorations, was precariously balanced upon the head of an abashed Derpy.


She was currently being thoroughly chastised by one Poe Stile, the owner of the delivery company hired by Mayor Mare to transport and deliver, safely, the now ruined decorations, and just happened to be Derpy's boss.

"You're fired!" Exclaimed the enraged forecolt. "Your clumsiness has finally cost me, and my company far more than I can afford! Just take that situation with Bad Move, you dumped a full truck load of goods. I had to replace everything that..."

Poe Stile's voice trailed off as Twilight and company moved out of earshot. "Twilight! Spike! Fluttershy!"

As Fluttershy jumped from being startled, but before she could otherwise react, the trio were scooped up by an exuberant Pinkie Pie in a one way group hug. She dropped them in a heap and stood there wide eyed staring at everypony. "Hiya!" She exclaimed as everypony righted, and composed themselves.

"Good to see you too Pinkie," said Twilight none to enthusiastically.

"It's good you three got here, we're toootally swamped with everything that has to be done!" Pinkie exclaimed, oblivious of Twilight's tone.

"Especially now that hurricane Derpy blew in!" Rarity said, as she flipped her mane. "Ooh that Derpy! She just ruined hours of planning and hard work. Not to mention the centerpiece that was CRUSHED by those boxes of decor she 'DELIVERED!' It simply must be in a million, billion pieces! Of all the worst possible things that could happen, that's the worst possible thing!" Rarity exclaimed, dramatically Covering her face with a foreleg, while standing on her hind legs. She flounced/ fainted upon her couch that she magicked over to catch her fall.

"Now, would'ja knock it off with the dramatics gal." Applejack boomed as she approached the gathering of friends.

"I just checked out the stuff and thangs. Apart from a few of the minor decorations every one of ems' gonna be right as rain on a cloudy day."

In a lower more conspiratorial tone, she said, "or least wise can be easily fixed with some good ol' spit n' Polish and a lick of paint"'

Rarity winced at Apple Jacks' choice of crude countryism and shot her a look of disapproval. "Yah, and the centerpiece isn't to bad off either." Came the voice of Rainbow Dash as she flew over to hover just above everyponys head.

They all turned to look in the direction of the dining area. As there came the sounds of breaking glass as a deflated Derpy disentangled herself from the last of the decorative objects clinging to her, as she listlessly, and aimlessly flew away from the schoolyard.

No longer on her couch, Rarity addressed the group while watching Derpy disappear into the distance.

"Uhh! That Derpy! I swear she's going to cause somepony some serious and irreversible mischief someday!"

Fluttershy indecisively scrapped her forehoof along the turf. "Um... Well Derpy has been struggling since graduation to find her way. Her cutie mark doesn't exactly point to any particular talent, after all."

Applejack spoke up. "You're telling me. Directionless ain't half the truth."

Fluttershy looked both shocked and embarrassed, shyly she stammered. "Um, that's not exactly what I meant."

But her statement went largely unheard as Applejack continued. "Back when we were fillies, we tried lots of stuff to see if we could get our cutie marks for it. Granted not as much stuff, or as persistently as Apple Bloom and her friends, but we all tried stuff. Well on one occasion Big Mac let Derpy and me help him about the farm."

Flashback to the Apple Farm, a filly Derpy and Applejack were following a young Big Macintosh as they walked along a plowed field, as present day Applejack continued her narrative.

"The gal plum ain't got the disposition for farming."

Young Big Mac paused and demonstrated the proper way to plant seeds, pulling back some soil and dropping seed in the hole, then covering the seed over with the dirt he had unearthed, from a watering can he then poured water over the spot.

Filly Applejack, then filly Derpy scraped a rent in the ground, took some seed dropped it in their respective holes then covered them over and from foal sized water cans sprinkled the newly planted trees.

Derpy looked expectantly, first at Applejack, then to Big Mac for approval.

They both smiled at her and nodded, "ayep,” Said Big Mac.


A ripple dissolve brought forward to the same strip of field.

Filly Derpy hovering over the spot where she had planted the seeds, her wings flapping like a hyperactive hummingbird. All the while examining the ground in an attempt to see if anything had grown, seeing nothing but dirt, her legs and head drooped as a sad look came over her countenance.

Her wings slowed till she was barely able to keep herself aloft as she languorously floated away.
Only moments latter to return to the spot, wings once again batting away, face lit up, but when she saw nothing but dirt as before, once again became crestfallen and floated away.


Back at the schoolyard Applejack continued her story. "An' no matter how many times we explained to her that the seeds wouldn't grow overnight, she kept expecting them to have grown anytime she wern't looking at em." Applejack rolled her eyes as she said that last sentence. "And she dern near wiped out the new crops that year!”


Another flashback to the Apple Farm yard revealed a young Big Mac being once again followed by filly Derpy and Applejack. They were walking along a pipe that led to, and connected with an impressive looking piece of machinery.

"Big brother, you mind my explanin' this here watering system to Derpy?"

Big Mac paused in thought, shaking his head, he replied, "ayep."

Applejack looked confused. Big Mac frowned, then understanding the miscommunication he blushed, and with an embarrassed smile he corrected himself. "Err, ah nope."

Applejack rolled her eyes and turned her attention to Derpy. "Well what all these here young shoots need to grow is light, which they get natural like from the sun. They also need water, and lots of it, but not to much at one time, it's a slow steady flow what's needed." Applejack looked up at Big Mac, "right big brother?"

He nodded, "ayep."

Smiling Applejack glanced at Derpy before turning her attention to the metal contraption connected to a series of pipes that led across the planted field.

"This machine regulates the waters flow to the shoots so they don't get too much or too little at one time. The water is taken from that pond yonder, threw them pipes, threw here..."

Applejack made wide sweeping motions with her foreleg threw out her explanation, to indicate the different points of her talk.

"... then out to the fields. And this," she pointed to a metal circlet on the contraption. "Controls the flow of water to..."

Derpy, whom had been looking like a deer in headlights threw out most of Applejack's explanation lit up at hearing something she could do to help. She exclaimed, "I'll get it!"

Qickly flying to the valve, before either Applejack or Big Mac could stop her. Derpy attempted to turn it, with a look somewhere between shock and horror Applejack yelled out, "Derpy no!"

Simultaneously Big Mac yelled, "Derpy nope!" As they lunged to try and stop her.

But to late, because the valve, as the result of Derpys exuberance to help, broke off in her hooves. Both Applejack and Big Mac became stunned into inaction, could simply watch as Derpy looked at the valve in her hooves with an oopsy face.

Then, as nothing happened, her expression turned to confused curiosity as she stuck her head into the mouth of an exposed pipe.

Both Applejack and Big Mac attempted to pull the blue grey filly away from the aperture.

It was at that moment that a torrent of water gushed from the open pipe carrying the trio away as the water burst forth.

The water finally dissipated depositing the soaked ponies right in the middle of the barn.

Both Apples glared at Derpy. Ashamed and confused, Derpy looked at the valve still in her hooves, then looking at the other two ponys she exclaimed, "I just don't know what went wrong!"


Back at the schoolyard Applejack finished her flashback narrative.

"Because of that brewhaha the pipe watering system was abandoned, it took me years to convince Granny Smith to give it another go." Applejack said shaking her head.

"That's nothing," said Rainbow Dash, whom was still hovering overhead settled herself on Rarity's couch.

"I tried to get her involved in the weather patrol, and you all know how that ended."

Flashback to the opening scene of The Last Round Up.

"Precisely!" Exclaimed Rarity, "I've had it with that mare, why just last year when I needed some extra help with a huge order for the Canterlot Carousel. Out of desperation I foolishly hired her to assist me."


Flashback to the showroom of the Carousel Boutique. Rarity was talking to a prevalent looking customer.

A loud crash emanated from the back of the shop, both ponys winced at the racket.

They poked their heads threw the curtain separating the shop from the storage area, to find Derpy in the middle of a heap of fabric, mannequins and other assorted items that Rarity kept in storage for her craft.

Derpy peeked out from under an unrolled bolt of fabric with an oopsy face. "I just don't know what went wrong." She said, with a shrug.


Chapter 3

At the schoolyard Rarity stamped a forehoof in anger.

"Honestly! Not only did that fiasco set me back on that order even further then I originally was. She ruined most of the supplies in my storeroom."

If it had been anypony else talking but Rarity, Spike may have said something along the lines of, 'are you sure you're not remembering that with drama queen glasses on?' But as it was her, he simply winced and said, "no wonder you're so angry with her."

Spike, deep in thought for a moment then said. "I once asked Derpy to help me with my cataloging a consignment of books at the old library. Only she either fell asleep from boredom, or ended up knocking stuff over."


Flashback to the Golden Oaks Library. Spike, holding an armful of books, and scrolls stuffed under each arm.

As he walked past a doorway leading to a side room off the Central room he glanced back into the room and saw the sleeping form of Derpy.

She was sitting on a stool. The top half of her body sprawled across the table in front of her, that otherwise was covered by books and parchment.

Scene change to Derpy balancing several stacks of books and scrolls in her forelegs and wings, while walking on her hindlegs.

As she walked across the library Spike lost sight of her, seconds latter hearing a crash.

Turning a corner into the main room he saw that there were books, scrolls and just about everything else in the room scattered everywhere.

Back in the schoolyard, Rarity interrupted Spike's narrative. "Let me guess," she picked up the narrative. "You found her surrounded by the mess she made," and so she was, with Owlicious perched on her head.

Owlicious bent forward to look Derpy in the eyes, Derpy looking up to stare back. "And always with that same line."

Rarity said in a voice she usually reserved for criticizing an unfashionable article of clothing.

Derpy shrugging, her hooves spread, and with Rarity's voice said. "I just don't know what went wrong."

Rarity's head superimposed itself over the fading flashback. "Like she doesn't actually know! Please!"


The group of friends were so wrapped up in the narratives that they failed to notice that they had drawn a crowd, that is until Cheerlee spoke up.

"Rarity, although Derpy may have her moments of, well for a lack of a better term, her absentmindedness, that usually leads to such accidents as the ones you've all described. As well as is the unfortunate mishap that got her discharged from Poe Stile's service. I fully believe that she means well, and has a good heart. I don't believe for a moment that she maliciously goes about looking for ways to cause trouble for anypony. Do you really think she does Rarity?"

Rarity ashamed, shook her head. "Well... no, I suppose not, but..."

Cheerlee continued, "Do any of you really? Keep in mind the one thing that all of your stories have in common..."

Spike interrupted her. "Something always gets broken?"

Spike, and a few of the others in the crowd laughed at the comment, until Cheerlee shot them a look usually reserved for particularly naughty foals, everypony was instantly silent.

"No Spike!.. Well yes, I suppose. But more to the point, in each of these stories, and I'm sure in many others, Derpy only got involved because she wanted to help somepony or another."

Most of the ponys in the crowd blushed, realizing that, at some point or another Derpy attempted to help them only to be treated poorly when things went wrong.

"No pony," an audible change could be heard in Cheerlee's voice, and a groan from the foals present as they noticed the change in their teachers voice, and stance to be one when she was about to launch into a lesson.

Cheerlee cleared her throat to silence them, as if they had been in class. "As I was saying, no pony should be made to be made to feel like they are worthless in this world. Everypony has a role to play, that's why we have our cutie marks. While they choose us, and help point us to our true calling in life. So we can enhance, learn, and excel with our special talent without having to listen to what others whom, even in good conscience, would project what they would think is best for us."

The crowd fidgeted a bit, uneasy at being caught in an unexpected and impromptu class lesson. But to polite to interrupt, or leave before she had finished.

The foals in the crowd however had other ideas. Having had enough lesions during school, they didn't want to be be getting more after hours.

They all made the unspoken unanimous decision to sneak off. Cheerlee continued, "as you all may know, the cutie mark is only a visible representation as to where ones talents lie, there is also a mental component. No pony has ever gotten a cutie mark for a talent that they don't care for, it always represents a talent within their skill set.

When a pony receives their cutie mark it is when they are thinking about, or more commonly doing something that they love, or care deeply. In some cases, like with the Apple Family."

Cheerlee pulled Applejack over and pointed to her rump. "Hay there now!" Applejack protested, and was ignored by Cheerlee as she just pressed on with her lecture.

"A central theme is passed on threw one generation to the next, from Granny Smith, to Apple Bloom, they all share apple related cutie marks due to the families passion for apples.” She let Applejack go. "Whereas there are some ponies,"


Cheerlee grabbed Pinky Pie. "Hay!" Again Cheerlee ignored the protest as she continued on.

"Like Pinkie pie, who is the antithesis of her more subdued family."

She released Pinkie and continued. "Most cutie marks are easy enough to explain, however in some cases the cutie mark may take a bit more soul searching to interpret.

Derpy's cutie mark for example, from casual observation, one could interpret it to mean that the pony in question may have an affinity for aquatic life, or enjoy underwater exploration.

The mark is rather uncommon and for a majority of ponies barring Derpys mark threw out the ages have, or will in time, be destined to accomplish great things, relatively speaking that is.

They do however walk a hard path in life, whatever they happen to end up doing.

With out the guidance of a clear path to take in life that you and I take for granted, they often drift aimlessly threw their life waiting for that great thing to happen. Sadly it's often like they have never received a cutie mark in the first place."


The foals had scattered across the event space, gathering in whichever social groups they belonged to.

The Cutie Mark Crusaders were standing in a small herd of several other foals including a few blank flanks that had expressed interest in joining the CMC.

A few of the fillies in the gathering had worried expressions. Archer addressed the group, "um... I've been having the worst, awfullest dreams."

The rest of the herd looked at her than around to each other, "me too," Ruby Pinch called out.

Several of the other fillies admitted they were having the exact same experience, twelve in all were having nightmares. The twelve fillies excused themselves from the rest of the foals.

"It's taken so long to say something about it." Apple Bloom said as she looked at her fellow founding members of the CMC. "Even to each other, it's been to dern scary."

Boysenberry spoke up, "I know right! I thought I was the only one and was to embarrassed to mention it to anypony."

The other fillies looked from one another nodding their agreement. "There I was, all alone, and so totally frightened!" Aquamarine began, the small herd trembled slightly at the memory that, although a solidarity experience for each, it was a collective one for all of them.

"Then the voice followed me as I ran from it, Aquamarine, Aquamarine, follow me, don't run away. Come follow my voice."

And with the subject breached, the floodgates opened. The fillies started to share their experiences simultaneously, each trying to talk over the next.

A filly would begin a sentence, without dropping a beat another would finish it. They went on like this for some time, saying things like. "Yes that happened to me."

Or, "oh me too," and so on.

Apple Bloom clacked her hoof on the ground bringing the small herds attention to her. "Although this ain't an official meetn’ of the CMC, an some of us here ain't actually members, I'd like, since we're all having the same thing happen to us, vote on what we should do about this."

Sweetie Belle cleared her throat, "Shouldn't we come up with a plan or two to vote on first?"

Blushing, Apple Bloom responded. "Huh, yah I suppose you're right, any suggestions?"

Scootaloo shifted her weight from one hoof to another. "The main thing to decide is if we can handle this on our own, or do we put it to the older ponys."

Archer chuckled, "Scootaloo, phrasing... Boom!"

Mango Dash, in a terrible state chimed in. "Whatever we decide it better be soon. It's been getting worse, and I don't think we have much time left before it's to late." The other fillies nodded their assent to the plan.


Chapter 4

Derpy eventually found herself flying through the Everfree Forest. She flew for a while among the trees, her legs listlessly dangling, head down turned.

"I try,

I really try,

my hardest to fit in.

But looking back I see,

that I have seldom achieved that win.”

A flashback shows a filly Derpy standing on her unique looking wagon taking in the accolades of her fellow classmates as she's awarded the prize for most original derby wagon.

“So as the daylight turns into night,

A promised bright future turns into blight.

It seems I can never do things the way others think they should, be, done."

A ripple dissolve shows Derpy at the carousel boutique placing bolts of fabric on a high shelf.

When she finished she noticed a spool of ribbon under the shelves. Leaning over to pick it up, stretching a wing to reach it, her head banged into a shelf knocking it over.

A chain reaction began resulting in practically everything in the room falling on top of her.

Rarity and her costumer poking their disapproving heads through the curtains.

"I want to be of help,

to belong,”

A flashback to the Golden Oaks Library showed Derpy walking through the central room on her hind legs.

Her wings and forehooves filled with books and scrolls. As she passed a door to an adjoining room, Spike could be seen passing in the opposite direction.

Derpy deftly avoided tripping over a comic book that had been left on the floor, only to trip over a small hoofstool she didn't see. With the resulting mess to follow.

"to join in on the fun."

A flashback reveals Pegasus flying around cloud busting, with an uncertain Derpy looking on.

Rainbow Dash swooped up beside her, in a playful tone called out, "Come on Derpy! Just have fun with it!"

As she flew off to bust up a nearby cloud. Derpy shook herself and shot towards a rather large and gray storm cloud, upon contact it sent off an electrical discharge that took off the top of the town hall building.

"So as daylight turns into night,

A promised bright future turns into blight.

I guess I'm better off staying away from everypony."

A ripple dissolve showed a montage of images with various ponies admonishing a miserable looking Derpy.

"After a while you start to feel any kindness shown is phony.

I’m tolerated because they think that's what they're supposed to do,

is the only explanation I can give.

I only want a proper life to live.

So as the daylight turns into night,

A promised bright future turns into blight.

I should just go away,

There's no more reason for me to stay.”

As she flew, she sped along the cap of the forest canopy.

"Yes, this is where I belong,

In the Everfree,
where the freaks and monsters live."

She executed a sideways loop and disappeared into the darkness of the foliage. Derpy looked to the sky poking through the boughs of the trees.

"Today though... I just couldn't focus at all. Those dreams... So real..."

She found a spot to roost herself as she contemplated her nocturnal visions of the past few nights.

When she snapped out of her thoughts, it was already late evening.

"Derpy... Derpy..." The odd lilting voice from her nightmare called out to her, male or female, she couldn't tell.

It was if the voice were caught in a wind tunnel.

Spooked, Derpy took to the air and while remaining in one place she began thrashing about in an attempt to locate the source of the disembodied voice, almost falling as she did so.


Chapter 5

Back at the schoolyard Cheerlee finished her impromptu lesson.

Granny Smith, whom had been working on the setup for the Sweet Apple Acres vending display nearby piped up. "Well if'n y'all ask'n me."

Nopony actually was, but it's always a good, as well as a polite thing to listen to your elders.

"I've been around a good deal long enough to have seen most of y'all here grow from youngn's, to who y'all are today. Now young Derpy, I know can at times be try'n on ones patients, right pain in the backside at times as well.

Caused the lot of us, at one time or ta'nother some bit o trouble. But what most y'all don't know is that she's been on her own most her life, specialty since gragatin from school."

Granny Smith momentarily dropped her head and gave it a sad shake, as she mentioned the last sentence. Then taking in the crowd, she said, "she ain't had the upbringing what most y'all young'ns had.

I for one don't buy into what I've heard some uncharitable n' judgmental ponies been asayin bout her. That she's soft in the head, lacking in the smarts department and all. I don't think so.

N' so what if she was, tain't no good reason to shun a body, look down on, or heap abuse on somepony nohow.

Folk aut'a be shamed o' themselves! But no, seems to me that Derpy just gets to plum eager to please somepony or ta'nother.

She craves acceptance and praise so badly that she jumps into a setcheation without putting the proper thought to the task at hand, or fer that matter, in some cases whether or not she's able to do it in tha' first place.

Impulsive as a foal that gal is, is all. She puts herself under a heap o' pressure.

Pressure from others to behave and act the way they think she should, and pressure from herself not to let anypony down.

How would Pinkie Pie, do y'all think, have turned out had folk decided at a young age her behavior was too outlandish and kept her from being herself?" Granny Smith shook her head.

"N' not the care free party planner, but instead a shunned n' in her case, miserable rock herder I reckon. Everyponies been going on about 'The Power Of Friendship' lately, but there's not been too exceptin, or time spent on helping out when it comes to her.

Maybe something aut ta be done bout fixn' that."

Granny Smith fixed the crowd with her patented stink eye as she finished speaking and went back to the display to finish her work. With very few exceptions everypony could think back to a time when they were unkind to the little blue taffy mare in question.

Mayor Mare broke the silent contemplation of those that had gathered to hear the stories, having just completed negotiations with Poe Stile. "OK everypony," she announced from the podium set up across the field on a platform erected for staging the opening ceremonies of the upcoming event. She clacked her hoof on the podium like a gavel.

"We've got plenty of time for socializing at the festival, but right now we have much work to accomplish before the festival area is complete." Snapping out of their private thoughts, the ponys and Spike gave their attention to Mayor Mare.

"Now let's get back to work and make this the best celebration ever. Remember, Princess Celestia, and Princess Luna have chosen Ponyville to be the official festival site for Equestria, and we will most likely have many visitors from across the land. Not to mention that the Princesses themselves will be in attendance."

Everypony went back to working on the various tasks that they had been working on before they got distracted. Twilight made her rounds handing out assignments, and making sure that everything was running smoothly. Spike ticking off the tasks as they went from off Twilights many checklists.

Applejack, Big Mac, Bulk Bicep, and a few other ponies were struggling with raising tall pillars that would become supports for the last of the viewing bleachers were being erected, where in just a few hours would sit everypony that would come to view the eclipse.

Apple Bloom approached her sister with a few of the other fillies, having unanimously decided to take their problem to the older ponies after all.

"Apeljek," Apple Bloom began. "Um... I... that is to say, we would like to tell you..."

Applejack, struggling with the rope attached to the pillar looked down at her little sister, "Sugar cube," She grunted, shifting the weight of the tether so it was more manageable and also easier for her to talk. "This really ain't sech a good time, maybe you and your friends could..." Applejack shifted her weight, catching herself as she almost lost her footing, "Maybe you could get back to me latter, huh." Apple Bloom and the other fillies walked away deflated.

Scootaloo and the pegasus fillies tried their luck with Rainbow Dash. But she was busy wrangling the pegasus volunteers, making sure that the hanging decorations were put up correctly and securely to properly hear what the fillies were trying to convey.

Especially as there were a few pegasus ponies hanging various decorations and banners either in the wrong places or, in some cases upside down.


Sweetie Belle, and the unicorn fillies attempts to engage Rarity were in vein, as her attention was focused on having one of her overly dramatic moments overseeing that some of the pony volunteers were properly fixing the items that Derpy "delivered" to the event.

A few fillies attempted to get threw to Pinkie Pie, however it turned out to be an exercise in futility, as well as exhausting as Pinkie was all over the place. Making sure that all of the decorations were in their 'optimal placement,' so no matter where somepony was they would benefit from them.

Archer and Ruby Pinch approached Fluttershy but as she was comforting and reassuring the animals that everything would be fine during the eclipse, and as the animals currently being comforted were a family of Cragadiles. The two pair didn't try to hard to interrupt them.

The fillies gathered together to make a concerted effort to engage Twilight's ear.

Twilight, without even giving them a chance to speak, simply passed out assignments to each of them from her master checklist of things that needed to be done, then returned to her supervising duties.

Spike gave the fillies a supportive shrug, and scrambled after Twilight's wake. In fact all of the mares and colts were too busy to be of any help to the herd of fillies.

By the time the fillies gave up trying to get the attention of the older ponies it was rapidly approaching very late in the evening.


Chapter 6

Fluttershy was walking along her way home. "Oh, I was so busy at the schoolyard that I had forgotten about the poor buzzards. They become so self conscious during their molting season. I would just hate myself if I weren't there to give them a word of comfort in their time of need."

Fluttershy was so focused on her thoughts that she didn't even see what hit her, as she was bowled over by something that zizzed from out of the darkness.

As she often did when startled, or confronted by something unknown to her, Fluttershy jumped for cover, hiding in a bush.

But as nothing further happened, just as often, Fluttershy's curiosity got the better of her.

She hesitantly approached what appeared to be a ball of fur and feathers, tentatively reaching out to touch it with her forehoof and tapping it lightly.

As the ball quickly unfurled to her touch, Fluttershy quickly disappeared behind the nearest tree. Fluttershy got up the nerve to peer around it to look at...

"Derpy!?" Fluttershy timidly exclaimed, and cautiously moved closer.

For a moment the two pegasus stared at each other, neither even so much as twitched.

Suddenly Derpy broke into an excited, almost Pinkie-like, excited, mile-a-minute speech. 'I... THERE-I-WAS-AND-SOMEPONY-MAYBE-SOMETHING-TALKING-ALL-AROUND-ME-CALLING-OUT-TO-ME!'

Derpy paused to take a huge breath, then without warning pounced at Fluttershy, pinning her to the tree behind her. Derpy held fast to Fluttershy with her forehooves as she continued to rant.

"IT'S-WHISPERING-MY-NAME-OVER-AND-OVER-AND-OVER-AND-OVER!-"COME-TO-ME!"-IT-SAYS!" Derpy pressed her face to Fluttershy's.


Terribly frightened, as well as uncomfortable, Fluttershy was desperately and ineffectively trying to escape the grip of the crazed acting mare. Derpy looked from side to side. "DO YOU HEAR IT!?"

Derpy exclaimed, while looking Fluttershy directly in the eyes. Fluttershy shrank away from Derpy's gaze, pressing herself as far down, and back into the tree as it would allow.

"Um... Derpy... Derpy, please calm down. I'm having a hard time understanding what you're saying when you speak so fast."

At first it was as if Derpy hadn't heard Fluttershy as she continued her gesturing and waving her forehooves. "AT FIRST THE VOICE ONLY CAME WHEN I WAS ASLEEP BUT NOW!.. CAN'T YOU HEAR IT!?"

Fluttershy raised her head just enough to shake it, finally she was able to disentangle herself from Derpys grasp. "Pl... please Derpy, get ahold of yourself. Stop talking so fast. I think I understood some of what you are saying, but I can't help if I can't understand you fully."

Finally it seemed as if Fluttershy's words had gotten threw to her, either that, or Derpy simply ran out of steam. As she had stopped her rambling.

Derpy blinked, her eyes for once, both focused on Fluttershy, then drifted apart in separate directions.

Which was what any pony whom knew her had come to interpret as Derpy thinking something over.

Derpy stood unmoving on her hind legs for several moments, then took to the air flying above the tree line. "Why bother talking to you, you won't believe me anyway!" Derpy shouted as she flew away. "Why would you... No, why would anypony believe a stupid ret..."

Whatever else Derpy had said was lost in a sniffling sob carried away on the wind.

Shocked by the revelation that Derpy was aware of how, more than a few ponies thought of her, and felt a bit of shame at how little thought she gave to the blue taffy mare.

Fluttershy attempted to follow Derpy, and uncharacteristically yelled out to her. "Derpy!.. Derpy! Come back! I'll listen to you! Help you if I can!.."

But it was to no avail, Derpy, the better flyer of the two, was well out of earshot by then. Fluttershy was forced to abandon her pursuit, left to ponder the implications of her bazaar encounter.

Fluttershy, lost in thought jumped, then almost lost her altitude startled by Rainbow Dash calling out to her. "Fluttershy! Come quickly the Princesses have summoned us to deal with something!"

A few moments earlier in the schoolyard, the small herd of fillies started, as they heard the disembodied voice from their nightmares calling out to them. Each filly hearing their own name,

'Apple Bloom,' ‘Sweetie Belle,' ‘Scootaloo,'

and so on down the line. All of the fillies bristled at the sound of her name being called on the wind. The realization that they were very much awake and this was no dream.

"Come, follow my voice and all will be clear," the voice beckoned.

The fillies were unsure what to do, until Apple Bloom mustered up the inner strength to say, "Well we ain't gunna get anywhere standing around shivering like yearlings."

She stood erect to address the group. "The gron' ups ain't gunna be of help on this one. If we want to get to the bottom of this we're gunna have to follow the voice, and hope we can solve this mystery on our own. Come on y'all!"

Apple Bloom made her way out of the schoolyard with both Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo by her side. The rest of the fillies looked at the founding members of the CMC leaving, then from one to the other, with a silent consensus they galloped after the trio to catch up with them.

The herd back together, cantered slowly along, following the pull of an invisible trail. They crossed an empty field just outside town, close to the borders of the Everfree Forest, as they neared the edge of the tree line, with a flash of magical energy the fillies were gone.

Mayor Mare once again gathered everyponys attention by stamping her forehoof on the podium. With the sound system in place, everypony was able to hear her.

"OK everypony, we've all worked hard today. And now it's time for everypony to get some sleep so we can be bright eyed and..." She gave a chuckle at her little joke. "Bushy tailed." As she bent down and stuck her rump in the air, while rapidly shaking her tail back and forth. Most everypony else groaned.

With her head below the glare of the spotlights she could better see the festival grounds. She righted herself and stepped out from around the podium, looking out over the crowd she said,

"Mrs. Cheerlee, where are the fillies from your class?"

Everypony searched the festival grounds, and the school, but could find no sign of the twelve fillies in question.

Suddenly, Spike began hacking like a giant cat attempting to expel a hairball. From out of a brilliant green flame that belched forth from Spikes mouth, a bound scroll materialized.

Twilight's horn became surrounded by a glowing crimson aura, an instant latter so was the scroll. She magicked the scroll to her, the seal broken, the parchment unfurled, Twilight began to read it. "We have been summoned by both Princess Celestia, and Princess Luna."

By "WE" everypony knew that she ment the herself, Spike, and the five other Element Ponies. "Rainbow Dash, as you are the fastest of us, please go find fluttershy. I believe she left early to tend to some of her animal charges. When you find her meet us at Castle Friendship, where the Princesses are waiting for us."