• Published 17th Jul 2012
  • 2,122 Views, 43 Comments

Paranoia - Valorousspectre



Romance, supernatural, possession, paranoia, mystery, civilised vs primal debate, good v evil.

  • ...
4
 43
 2,122

Magical Theory 101. A Night with Twilight.

Chapter six: Magical Theory 101, A night with Twilight Sparkle.

For the next three weeks straight, minus Sundays, Demonheart worked. Whilst Big Mac couldn’t stop Rarity taking him to the spa during her weekly visits, he did effectively cut off all other access from anyone or anything outside of Sweet Apple Acres. And he worked the stallion to the bone each day, pushing him for more and more every time they returned to the orchard. Eventually Applejack took him aside one day.

He was working as usual. His hooves ached, his back was killing him and he was having difficulty continuing. But he kept on going. He had nothing else to do. Besides, Big Mac always seemed to know if he stopped. He kicked out at the tree he’d been sizing up and grunted in pain as he connected wrong and collapsed, panting heavily.

“Hey sugarcube, Ah wanted to… Tarnation? Ya alright?”

Demonheart could barely answer. His lungs didn’t seem to want to co-operate with him. He could breathe, but he couldn’t really talk. He tried, but all that came out was an inarticulate mumble. Applejack’s brow creased in concern and she considered calling to her brother for help.

… They do seem pretty close… Nah. Big Mac’s got enough work to do. Ah ain’t goin’ to bother him.

So, with a grunt at his weight, Applejack lifted him up onto her back and began the trek back to the farmhouse.

~*~

“Why not? Why can’t I see him? Big Macintosh, why won’t you let me?”

Fluttershy stood before Big Macintosh at the entrance to the Apple Family house, being stubbornly refused entrance and permission to see the pony she wished to see. She found herself intrigued by the new stallion. His personality, his colours, the way he seemed so nervous all the time but never for a clear cut reason. She’d mostly noticed this at the spa. It had become quickly apparent he trusted and often spoke to Aloe, whom had taken it upon herself to practically become his personal masseuse for his every visit. Since Aloe spoke to both Rarity and Fluttershy, the pair had quickly discovered that Aloe would willingly share information… so long as she hadn’t promised not to tell anypony.

Fragments of his past, his morbid fear of water, things such as these came quite often from the pink pony. However as of recently, Aloe had began to confess to both Rarity and Fluttershy his increasingly concerning fatigue and lesions on his hooves. According to her these occasionally bled as she tried to clean his hooves and, although he never complained or so much as moved, it was clear to Aloe, who had been trained in such things, that this was hurting him.

But he’d stubbornly refused any sort of treatment above the regular that she gave him, not letting her treat his injuries. As a
last ditch attempt to get him help, she’d told Fluttershy and Rarity. But whilst Rarity had believed it’d be better to let him seek help on his own, Fluttershy was positive the big stallion wouldn’t and had decided it’d be better to be safe than sorry. However now that she was at the farm where she knew the big Pegasus was staying, Big Macintosh was refusing her entry!

“He’s busy Fluttershy. He don’t like being bothered while he’s workin’.”

“He’ll see me! I know it! Why won’t you let me see him?”

“Ah already told ya. He don’t like being disturbed.”

“Big Mac! The hay ya doin’? Ya meant to be workin’!”

The pair turned to behold Applejack with Demonheart resting across her back. Applejack frowned when she saw Fluttershy.

“Shy? What are ya doin’ here?”

~*~

“What in tarnation is wrong with ya!? Ya won’t let Fluttershy into our house?”

Applejack had taken Big Macintosh aside after taking Demonheart into the house and laid him down in his (borrowed) bed. Applejack had forced Big Mac to leave, telling Fluttershy to stay with Demon in the case that he may need something. The pair now stood in the barn. Or rather, She stood. Big Mac had been forced to lean back so far he sat down just so his irate sister hadn’t collided with him.

“She wanted to see him. He was workin’. He don’t like bein’ disturbed when he’s workin’, so I told her so. Ah didn’t do nothin’ wrong.”

AJ looked at her older brother incredulously.

“He didn’t seem to mind whenever Ah came to talk to him! What, he tells ya more than he tells me?”

The big stallion nodded.

“Eeyup.”

Suspicion clouded AJ’s expression as her eyes narrowed.

“Now hold on one cotton pickin’ minute. This ain’t to do with Shy and Demon dancin’ or nothin’ is it? Don’t tell me yer jealous
Big Mac.”

The workhorse’s face twisted into a scowl.

“Ain’t nothin’ to do with that. He told me he didn’t like bein’ interrupted. So Ah told Shy that he didn’t like to be and that was that.”

Applejack groaned in annoyance and frustration.

“Dangnammit Macintosh! He never said that an’ ya know it!”

She turned her tail on him.

“Just… Ugh! Ah don’t know what to do with ya. Just get back to workin’ will ya? Ah’m gonna take care of Demon.”

~*~

“You’re just going to take that?”

He floated in and out of consciousness. There was so much pain, he relished returning to his mind.

“Are you going to take this lying down?”

A familiar voice, playful but malicious.

“Is the mighty Demonheart going to just bow his head and take it?”

He mumbled in response.

“Oh, that’s right! Valour never wants conflict He’s too busy being a doormat.”

Another mumble, a little stronger.

“But then, who would ever suspect one such as you, big and powerful as you are, to fight back?”

“M’not… you…”

The voice laughed, taunting him.

“Of course you’re not me fool! You would use the strength I gave you if you were.”

“Never…” came the whispered response.

“You’re a coward and a fool. It’s almost fun to watch you flail and struggle.”

A stab of anger, a growl of frustration.

“If I… struggle so… much… Why is it… you’re still in there… and I’m out here?”

An evil sounding snarl, the flash of red eyes.

“Give it time. You’ll give in again. You’ll see Valour.”

Another voice… soft… worried… brought with it memories of brilliant eyes, the swirl of pink hair and the scent of fresh herbs and animals. A name floated to mind.

‘Fluttershy…’

~*~

“Y..You’ll be okay… Don’t worry… you’ll be up and about in no time.”

Fluttershy wasn’t so sure of the words she was saying, not sure if it was true. The stallion sprawled on his side before her seemed fitful in sleep, mumbling and whispering under his breath. She’d wondered for a time if he’d been dreaming, then decided that no dream should fix a pony with a look of such dread as his face had distorted into as he spoke, nor the crease of rage she saw afterwards.

Funny… I’ve never seen him get angry…

No, instead she decided it must have been a nightmare and, having been told by AJ to watch over him, thought it might be best she at least try to comfort him. Her gaze flicked down to his hooves and, with a guilty look around, she slowly and nervously uncovered them from where Applejack had seen fit to cover him with his blanket and looked closely at his hooves. His forehooves seemed perfectly fine to her. A little scuffed perhaps from all his work on the farm, but otherwise okay. Dimly she heard Applejack yelling. Not that she wasn’t paying attention, but more it was too quiet to really make out the words. She covered his upper torso up quickly, a blush making its way to her face before her gaze flicked down further to where his hind hooves rested. A little more confident now, she drew the blanket away from his hooves.

Aloe hadn’t been kidding.

The lower parts of his leg were lacerated, no doubt from countless misjudged kicks or fragments of wood from a kick too fiercely delivered. Upon moving some of his coat away from the lacerations, which were by this time scabbed over thankfully, it was clear the skin around the cuts and lesions were an angry, inflamed red. Thankfully however, they were mostly clean. Aside from a few dust stains from that day’s work, they had been untouched by infection before they’d scabbed over to heal. Most of them were close to completely healed anyway.

Oh dear… Aloe was right. This is terrible.

He stirred and she threw the blanket back over his hooves hurriedly, returning to her original position by his bedside (next to his head) as he moved around a little before his eyes cracked open a tiny bit.

“Miss… Fluttershy..?”

Fluttershy started and moved closer to him, barely able to hear him speak.

“Y..Yes? I mean… yes, it’s me… Are you okay..?”

His brow creased before he answered.

“What… are you doing here?”

She felt a relieved smile spread across her face and she sighed.

“I’m looking after you of course… Why else would I be here?”

He groaned painfully and his head shook a little bit.

“N..No… you shouldn’t be here… Big Mac said…”

He fell silent. Fluttershy’s smile faltered.

“Big Mac said what..?”

Demon didn’t answer. Instead, he turned over onto his stomach and buried his muzzle in the pillow. Fluttershy felt her smile falter more and nudged him with her nose.

“What did he say..?”

Again he didn’t answer. An irrational surge of irritation washed through Fluttershy.

When someone tries to block, show them that you rock!

The words of the Minotaur Iron Will flickered to life in her mind and her relief finally gave way to frustration. In a flurry of movement Fluttershy was on the bed and had pushed Demonheart back onto his back, glaring at him determinedly, wings flared in the typical style of a Pegasus trying to look larger than they were.

“You tell me what he said right now mister!”

Demonheart stared up at her, wide eyed in surprise. This was one of the few times Fluttershy had seen both of his eyes at the same time, and they were no less deep than they’d always been. Her momentary burst of courage didn’t last terribly long, and soon the two were simply staring at each other as Fluttershy’s gaze lost its ferocity, softening at an alarming rate. For a moment she completely forgot what she wanted to know and her eyes flickered from his eyes to his lips, then back again. A blush formed on her face as she timidly touched her nose to his, a matching blush on his cheeks. A tilt of the head before…


“Ahem.”

Fluttershy froze, mortified and turned her head to look to the doorway. An amused Applejack stood within the threshold of the portal to the room, smiling.

“Am Ah interruptin’ somethin’? Should Ah just give ya a minute there?”

Fluttershy was practically tripping over her own mane to get off the bed, seemingly completely forgetting that she had a pair of fully functional wings and hit the floor nose first before rushing from the room. Applejack watched her leave for a moment before looking back at Demonheart and laughing. He was still blushing, staring up at the ceiling in shock.

“Ya alright there Sugarcube? Ya look like ya just seen a ghost.”

He barely seemed to hear her, only flicking his ears to acknowledge her words. The rugged farmer’s expression faded into seriousness as she stepped into the room proper and closed the door behind her, walking over to the bed afterwards.

“Ain’t goin’ to ask what that was. Ain’t sure ya really know yerself by the looks of it. But Ah want to make somethin’ quite clear.”

Finally the injured Pegasus looked at AJ, still blushing. AJ had to admit, whilst he wasn’t really her type, too timid for her liking, he was quite adorable when he blushed like that.

“Big Mac ain’t the only one who makes rules here. He may be the eldest, but Ah do more on the farm that he realises. He shouldn’ta told Shy she couldn’t see ya.”

Demon mumbled something softly and AJ frowned.

“What was that sugar? ‘Fraid Ah didn’t hear ya.”

“He… He told me I… I couldn’t see Miss Fluttershy w…whilst I was working here…”

AJ frowned.

“Did he now? Ah’ll have to talk to him ‘bout that. But ya can consider that taken back. Ain’t right for him to do that. Far as Ah see, ya get along quite well.”

The blush, only having just vanished, returned with a vengeance and AJ found herself laughing again.

“Don’tcha worry yer head about it. Ah won’t go about flappin’ mah gums about things that ain’t mah business. Ah want ya to get yer hooves looked at tomorrow though alright? No work for ya tomorrow.”

Having realised the futility of trying to argue with Applejack in the past, Demonheart nodded in agreement to her stipulations. She smiled.

“Good. Ah will warn ya though. If she does start visitin’ ya up here, Ah expect ya to work whilst ya talk. That seem fair to ya?”

Another nod of agreement. AJ doffed her hat, satisfied.

“Good. Now how ‘bout ya come down for some supper? Granny done outdid herself this time to be sure.”

~*~

“Feel like fighting back yet little Pegasus?”

A grunt of pain, a growl of frustration.

“Never.”

A crazed, lilting laugh.

“You keep saying that but you know it’s not true. I’ll have escaped before the month is out. You’ll see.”

“Not if I have anything to say about it.”

“But you don’t little Pegasus. You never did.”

~*~

Whilst Demonheart had come to rely upon the work from the farm to keep him occupied and had intensely disliked the previous day he’d gotten off of work, this day he relished spending away from the trees that had hurt him so. His first stop had, quite obviously been the Ponyville hospice, but only after AJ bullied him over there, actually going so far as to convince a nearby weather pony to watch him and make sure he went. A disapproving glance from Nurse Redheart, a painkiller and a few bandages later, he was out and about again. While he still disliked the attention he received simply from walking down the street, he’d learned to put up with it for the most part.

It was around midday when he finally admitted to having no clue where in Equestria he was going. He ended up wandering aimlessly around Ponyville before shrugging and heading towards the expanse of the Everfree Forest.

He was just leaving the confines of the town when he heard a voice calling his name. It wasn’t a voice he readily recognised and it took him a moment after turning around to identify the pony before him as Twilight Sparkle. His eyes almost instantly sought out her horn.

Demonheart hadn’t met many Unicorns in his time. Granted, he wasn’t exactly social, but he hadn’t met many unicorns. Plenty of pegasi and a few Earth ponies, but not many unicorns. As a result he was apprehensive about them and their capabilities. She was smiling at him, which made him ever more apprehensive, since three quarters or so of the mares he passed in the street had also smiled at him. Although hers seemed much more friendly and less… spooky.

“It’s good to see you up and away from the farm! Where were you headed?”

The big Pegasus looked over at where he was headed previously. Twilight followed his gaze.

“The Everfree forest? You were going to go into the Everfree Forest?”

A shake of his head allayed her fears.

“J..Just outside it…”

“Why?”

A heavy blush washed over his face and he mumbled something quietly, scuffing at the ground with one forehoof. Twilight leaned forward, straining to hear him.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t quite catch that. Could you please repeat it?”

“I… I guess… I because I d..don’t know where M… Miss Fluttershy lives…”

Twilight smiled brightly.

“Oh! You were looking for Fluttershy?”

He nodded almost imperceptibly.

“Oh there’s no need to be shy. She lives in a cottage by the Everfree. Oh, but she’s gone to see Zecora today, that’ likely to take all day.”

Demonheart’s face fell and he let his head hang.

“Oh… S..So she won’t be home?”

Twilight shook her head.

“No, I doubt it. But uh…”

He looked up at the ‘but’.

“But..?”

Twilight’s smile turned a little awkward.

“I’ve been meaning to catch you on your own, you know, get to know you a little more? I mean, everypony else has. Or, everypony but Pinkie and Rainbow.”

The big Pegasus let his head fall again at the sound of Rainbow’s name. Twilight didn’t notice.

“So uh, this is going to sound really bad but, would you like to come back to the Library? I feel most comfortable there and… well…”

She shrugged helplessly. Demonheart looked regretfully back at the direction he was going. He wanted to go to see Fluttershy, but as Twilight had told him she was less than likely to be home at the time, he wasn’t sure if it’d really be worth waiting all day. Twilight coughed softly.

“Um, if it helps, I’ll get a message to AJ to see if you can stay the night and take you to see Fluttershy tomorrow morning? Provided you have the day off that is.”

He pondered this for a moment before scraping his hoof against the ground again.

“I… I can get the day off… if you can add something to your letter.”

~*~

“So you HAVE met Rainbow then hmm? How’d you get her to owe you a day of work?”

The pair now sat in the library commons. Demonheart looked decidedly uncomfortable in amongst all the books and enclosed spaces of the big library. In comparison, Twilight was right at home. Calm, collected and eager to learn about her potential new friend.

“I… it… I’d rather not talk about it…”

Twilight frowned irritably that he wouldn’t share this information, hating that she didn’t know something. But she pushed it down.

“Well, alright then. If you insist. If you don’t mind my asking, what is it you wished to talk to Fluttershy about?”

Demonheart coloured and scuffed his hooves against the floor.

“I… um… Mostly about um… well… um…”

His wings ruffled and puffed up in a sign of agitation.

“T..The dance I guess… and stuff like that…”

Twilight giggled happily.

“Ah! I saw that. I don’t think I’ve ever seen two ponies so utterly in tune in my life. It was beautiful.”

Demonheart’s face turned even more red and he mumbled something to himself under his breath. Twilight’s eyes narrowed.

“Something happening between you two?”

His eyes went wide and he shook his head frantically.

“N..No! I… No, I don’t… think… so…”

His wings ruffled up even further, looking like a pair of feather dusters on either side of his body. Twilight couldn’t help but laugh.

“There’s nothing to be embarrassed about Demonheart.”

He shook his head again.

“C…Can we talk about s…something else now?”

~*~

“See, magic doesn’t just come from nowhere, and every unicorn, Pegasus and Earth pony has their limits as to how much they can use. Naturally, one can expand these limits, but only to a certain point. See, even with my extensive training, There’s only so much I can achieve when it comes to being capable of going past my natural limit.”

Twilight had taken up a lecturing tone, sitting before Demonheart, who sat in rapt attention. He was curious about magic itself and he was hoping that this lecture would help alleviate his anxiety concerning the mysterious force. They had spoken briefly about his past, although he didn’t reveal any more to Twilight than he had previously to Fluttershy, so not much was told and he took a painfully long time to tell it. After which they spoke briefly about pegasi, Twilight trying to and failing to sneak in a few questions concerning Fluttershy.

“A unicorn’s ability to fashion and control magic to the point of it becoming a physical, tangible object comes from the extra leylines leading to the brain and horn. A lot of ponies believe that in the breaking of a unicorn’s horn makes them lose their ability to cast magic but this isn’t true. It will pain them unimaginably, but their ability to use magic is retained. Magical ability comes from the soul.”

Demonheart frowned in confusion.

“The… soul?”

“Exactly. The soul. The soul is the catalyst. A pony’s ability to use magic and how much they can use relies on the strength of the soul. That’s why when a unicorn uses a lot of magic at once they get tired.”

She beamed at the Pegasus, happy to have such a receptive student.

I can see why Celestia likes teaching me so much. There isn’t really a feeling like it.

“But… Miss Twilight… if unicorns can create the tangible magic and pegasi use it to fly and move clouds.. what… what is it Earth Ponies use magic for?”

Twilight smiled still.

“Oh, that’s easy. Earth Pony’s magic leads to their hooves and muscles, giving them enhanced strength, endurance and normally an affinity with earthen elements, or at least a better affinity with them than others, even if their talent doesn’t lie within those bounds. It really is a fascinating subject don’t you think?”

Demonheart nodded slowly.

“Yes… it is. Um… But… what if one were to enter a combat situation..?”

Twilight hesitated visibly.

“I… I’m afraid I’m not really certain. Princess Celestia, my mentor, didn’t teach me anything about combat. She hates violence, and I do too. But…”

She forced a smile.

“I did read a little. Magic duels are very dangerous and can be very deadly. It’s in these cases most recorded instances of Dark magic happened.”

“Dark… Magic? There’s a difference?”

“Of course. Dark Magic is mostly combat or harm orientated. However it’s also very dangerous to the user with a chance of corrupting them entirely. However, sometimes the potential power gain is… tempting.”

“Power gain?”

Twilight nodded grimly.

“Yes. By using dark magic it’s entirely possible to completely ignore your soul’s limit and gain power. Unfortunately, if the spells are performed wrong it can drive you completely insane too.”

Demonheart found himself frowning.

“How… how do you know all this?”

Twilight blushed.

“Oh um… a book I uh… wasn’t meant to read in the Canterlot restricted section… it um… it was of a different kind of context to what the Princess had me studying at the time.”

Demonheart chuckled softly.

“I see…”

Twilight smiled slyly.

“So. I gave you a crash course in Magical Theory. Now. I want to know what’s going on between you and Fluttershy.”

Demonheart shook his head.

“Nothing is going on between me and Miss Fluttershy. S..sorry to disappoint Miss Twilight...”

Twilight sighed.

“No, it’s alright. Guess I was hoping for a little gossip. Rarity got me into the gossip circles a short time ago and… well, I guess I was curious.”

He smiled half heartedly and nodded to her. Twilight took a moment to look him over, more specifically his cutie mark. The spiked side of the heart intrigued her, as did the small circles of the opposing colour within them at opposite ends of the organ.

“I’m sorry to seem so oblivious, but what is it your cutie mark represents? It’s got me stumped.”

A pang of pain shot through Demonheart’s face, unnoticed by the intent scholar.

“I… um…”

He cleared his throat.

“Where there is darkness, there is always light to oppose it. Where there is light, there is always shadows to oppose it. And until one comes to terms with oneself will peace ever be.”

Twilight looked at him sharply.

“What does that mean?”

He looked back down at the ground again.

“It… it means that there’s a bad side to everypony, and a good side as well, no matter what they appear to be.”

He looked up at her grimly.

“You ask of me what my mark means? My talent… lies in the prevention of that side of me ever getting out.”

"What would happen if it did?"

All Twilight got in return was a grim look and a few words.

"Pray you never know."