• Published 17th Jul 2012
  • 1,065 Views, 17 Comments

To Scoot, Perchance to Dream - TenderTalons



Scootaloo enters an extreme sports contest. Does she have what it takes to compete?

  • ...
0
 17
 1,065

Chapter 8


It was several days travel by train to the famed city by the sea. Los Agisters is best know for it's suburb Halterwood where the most elite celebrities work and play. Everypony who's anypony finds their way there to try and gain fame in the bustling metropolis. It was Scootaloo's chance now. She stared in wide-eyed wonder at the magnificent buildings that seemed to touch the sky as the train rolled through the city. When it finally came to a stop in Unicorn Station the filly sat in disbelief.

'I can't believe it. I'm here. I've worked hard and followed my dreams, and it's paid off! I need to use this chance for all it's worth. I'm going to find my way to the site and practice all day until they force me out!'

Scootaloo set out from the train station and did just that. She took a trolley to Greenbroke Park, the largest in the area and the place the EX Games were being held. As she walked towards the entrance she was greeted by Spinning Falcon who was relaxing nearby.

“Scootaloo! So glad to see you made it. How was your trip?”

“Kind of long.”

Falcon laughed. “Yeah, I've been hearing that a lot today. So, how about a quick tour? I'm sure you're anxious to see what's going on behind the fence.”

“You bet I am. Let's do it!”

Falcon introduced the filly to all kinds of important ponies in the world of equine sports. Sponsors, ponies competing in other sports, and show organizers had heard great things about her and were excited to chat. Scootaloo did her best to be kind and keep an interest, but really just wanted to start scooting. After what seemed to her to be an eternity, Spinning Falcon finally led her to the one place she wanted to be.

“WHOA.” It was all Scootaloo could do to not have her jaw hit the floor. Coming to the Games she never imagined the park could be much bigger than what Applejack had built back in Ponyville, but this really put it to shame. Every funbox was massive, every staircase tall and foreboding. There was a half-pipe that was two stories tall and a massive ramp that seemed like it was at least FIVE.

“So what do you think?”

“Think? I think I'm in heaven!”

Falcon gave Scootaloo a friendly slap on the back. “Well, don't just stand there. Get to it, little filly. Have fun!”

Scootaloo approached the park with some caution. She quietly surveyed the surroundings and saw that the scooting group had congregated to one particular corner of the park. She made her way over and decided to introduce herself to the first pony she came to. He did not reciprocate her greeting and instead dropped into the course to practice. The flow of his tricks impressed the girl though his attitude did not. He came back towards her after he was finished and finally spoke.

“Name's Rider.” He was an earth pony of a light brown color with a grey, almost silver, mane, which he cut short to keep hair out of his face. His flank was adorned with a spinning scooter wheel that was kicking up dust.

Scootaloo answered tepidly. “Nice to meet you.”

“So, how did you get here? I've never seen you in competition before.”

“Actually I won one of the spots in the Extreme Ponies Quarterly entry contest.”

“I heard about that. I'm surprised they would even hold a contest for something so exclusive. You never know what kind of trash might clutter the competition.”

“Hey! What do you mean by that?” Scootaloo questioned indignantly.

“I'm just saying that ponies that are picked in such a way couldn't possibly be as good as we professionals. I do this for a living. How long have you been scooting? A few weeks?”

Scootaloo was falling for Rider's baiting. Her anger rose with every word he spoke. “You think you're so great? I'll show you!”

Rider smugly looked in her direction. Scootaloo rode down the roll in nearby and jumped from the nearest quarter pipe. She flew higher than she ever had on her home-made equipment. The pegasus wasn't prepared to negotiate her landing from such a distance. As she came down she instinctively threw her scooter away from herself and futilely fluttered her wings in an attempt to slow down. Her landing was hard, the cement unforgiving. Her helmet broke upon impact.

A nearby crew of emergency responders ran to her aid as someone blew a whistle to clear the course. Scootaloo looked in Rider's direction only to see him giggling at her misfortune before he walked away. Her pride had gotten the best of her. Luckily she came out of the wreck relatively unscathed, though the filly was upset about her helmet. It wasn't long until somepony gave her a replacement.

Scootaloo sat quietly in the first aid tent sipping water. As she finished her cup, another filly approached and spoke.“I saw what happened to you out there. Too bad about your helmet. Here, take my old one. My sponsor just brought me another specifically for the competition.”

“Gee, thank you. What's your name?”

“Flipping Cricket, but everypony calls me 'Flips'.” She was a unicorn who, naturally, presented herself with grace and poise. Her vermillion mane flowed gently in the breeze. Her body was aqua which complemented her hair color and made her stand out even more. Scootaloo was in awe of the girl's generosity.

“It's a pleasure to meet you Flips.” Scootaloo thought for a moment before asking, “So what's the deal with Rider?”

“He's like that with everypony. Like he's so superior. You know, ponies are quick to forget their roots once they reach the top, and Rider's head has inflated so much he can't even see his feet beneath him. It's a small wonder he can even scoot that way.”

The girls giggled at the thought. Scootaloo was happy to have found someone she could relate to. “I think I'm ready to get back out there and try again. Want to come with me?”

Flips smiled. “Absolutely, eh... sorry, I didn't catch your name.”

“Scootaloo.”

“With a name like that you're sure to have some skill. Alright Scootaloo, let's hit the course.”

Only when the sun began to set did the new friends stop for the day. They had shared a few laughs, some stories about themselves, and Flipping Cricket even gave her fellow competitor a few tips about the competition and the judge's expectations. Scootaloo felt lucky to have met somepony so kind, considering her initial rude reception.

After they finished their riding, both fillies wished each other good luck for the following day and parted ways. Scootaloo headed to her hotel room and took a long, hot bath then ordered room service. After eating, Scootaloo breathed a long sigh of relief. She turned off her lamp, snuggled into the covers of the bed, and stared at the glowing moon rising over Los Agisters. She drifted gently off to sleep, excited for what the next day would bring.