• Published 17th Jul 2012
  • 1,065 Views, 17 Comments

To Scoot, Perchance to Dream - TenderTalons



Scootaloo enters an extreme sports contest. Does she have what it takes to compete?

  • ...
0
 17
 1,065

Chapter 7

The rolls of film were developed, Scootaloo filled her entry form, and sent it away hoping for the best. The next week a confirmation came. The judges were impressed with her skill and creativity. Her hard work had paid off and she was given a chance to try out for the Ex Games in person. Since the real course had yet to be built the judges decided it would be easier to come to Ponyville. Having read the news, Scootaloo started practicing harder than ever.

Finally, the long-awaited day had come. The judges were former professional extreme sports competitors themselves, making them the most qualified for the job. Spinning Falcon, the eldest of the group, was a famous skateboarder who was best known for his vertical mid-air turns. Miracle Mirror rode bicycles like nopony else. Traveling Pasta made up for his silly name by being the first pony to ever backflip a motorcycle. Scootaloo was more struck with awe and wonder than when she spoke with Rainbow Dash just weeks before.

“So you're the little filly that caused a sensation with the show organizers,” remarked Spinning Falcon. “It's great to finally meet you.”

“Those photographs? In-sane, girl,” commented Miracle Mirror.

“Not to mention putting yourself and your camerapony at risk like that in a rainstorm. You've got to be an incredible talent to inspire enough confidence to do that,” added Traveling Pasta.

“It's so amazing to finally meet you all. I've read so much about you and your accomplishments. It's really inspired me to push my skills as far as I could.”

“Talk is cheap, Scootaloo,” Falcon sneered. “Let's see you put your bits where your mouth is.”

Scootaloo led the sports ponies behind the barn of Sweet Apple Acres to the scootpark's permanent spot. She introduced the Apples before climbing to the top of the now well used and familiar roll in. The three judges were impressed with the quality of the build. Scootaloo dropped in and started a special routine she had prepared for the occasion. Soon the judges were more impressed by how she used the park than just by the park itself. The filly fell only once, though the judges remained resolute. They had decided long ago they wanted Scootaloo in the contest but needed to confirm their suspicions firsthoof for the sake of the EX Games committee.

Miracle Mirror gave Scootaloo a packet with directions to and instructions for the competition. “Make sure to show up at least a day ahead of time. You're gonna want to ride the park before your contest starts.”

Scootaloo's newfound fame was the talk of her school, neigh, the talk of Ponyville for the weeks leading up to the competition. All the foals and fillies would come to Sweet Apple Acres to watch her practice. When ponies started to show up with their own scooters, skateboards, and bicycles, Applejack (being ever the entrepreneur) began to charge them two bits per half hour. Soon the beneficial relationship between the farm girl and the filly grew into something more: a reliable business that could bring money to the Apple family during winter or bad seasons. A new structure was built around the scootpark and it was expanded to allow more riders at any one time.

Though they were happy for their friend and what it meant for her, Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom couldn't help but feel ignored by Scootaloo when they were the ones that had helped her in the beginning. Scootaloo was at the scootpark in all of her spare time. She started to ignore homework and her grades were slipping. Her singular focus was driving those that knew her best away.


The Cutie Mark Crusaders finally approached the school house, but it was too late. The ringing bell signaled as such, and brought Scootaloo out of her stupor long enough to realize it.

“C'mon Scootaloo, we're late!” Apple Bloom called after her friend. “You can't afford ta miss any more school as it is.”

The trio trotted through the door and the entire class commented on their arrival with a long, “oooOOOO.” Cheerilee stared in their direction and said, “Before you start with any excuses, just have a seat girls. We have a lot to cover today.”

Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom sat attentively facing the front of the class. Scootaloo had opened her binder and began writing a list of the things she believed had gone wrong during her competition. Since Cheerilee believed the filly was taking notes, the teacher never bothered to stop her. Soon Scootaloo stopped writing altogether and drifted slowly into her memories. Her daydreaming brought her back to Los Agisters for the EX Games...