• Published 17th Jul 2012
  • 1,066 Views, 17 Comments

To Scoot, Perchance to Dream - TenderTalons



Scootaloo enters an extreme sports contest. Does she have what it takes to compete?

  • ...
0
 17
 1,066

Chapter 10

Scootaloo ran across the bustling festival to her equipment behind the scenes. She strapped on her helmet, threw herself onto her scooter, and rolled about two feet before both wheels on the front truck of the scooter fell off.

An official looking pony walked towards Scootaloo holding a clipboard. After a moment of chatter into his headset, he spoke to her. “Last call for Youth Scooters! C'mon kid, let's go.”

“But the wheels on my scooter just fell off on their own! I can't go out there right now!”

“Well you better find some way to get them back on in the next five minutes or you're disqualified.”

Scootaloo was about to argue with the pony in charge, even going so far as raising an accusatory hoof towards him. But then in a flash, she realized there was no time as the first horn sounded for riders to begin. The filly ran around backstage frantically yelling, “Has anypony got a wrench? I need a wrench!” Nopony seemed to pay much attention as the second horn blew. Just as she was about to give up, she found a tool box sitting alone behind a pile of boxes. Without thinking she flung it open, grabbed the first wrench she saw, and galloped at full speed back to her scooter. The third horn sounded. Luckily for her it fit the nuts on her trucks and she got them back on in time to hear the fourth horn.

Just as the fifth and final horn sounded she flew, or as close as she could come to flying, out onto the course and gave the performance of her lifetime. As it ended, the crowd cheered uproariously in approval. Scootaloo breathlessly returned to the staging area for the competition.

“Where were you?” Cricket asked. “I thought you had left or something.”

“Just the opposite. I've been here the whole time trying to fix my scooter.”

“What do you mean?”

Scootaloo quickly went over the last few minutes with Flipping Cricket. “At this point, I can only suspect that it was sabotage by you-know-who.” She pointed at Rider, who was in the middle of his second set. He was stoic as he rode and made his repertoire of tricks look like they were the easiest things in the world to do.

“How can you be sure? Do you have any proof?”

“No, but it doesn't matter now. I've got to do what I can to win.”

Another horn sounded. “That's me. Good luck!,” shouted Flipping Cricket as she rode down the roll-in. Rider looked in Scootaloo's direction but said nothing. They exchanged a dirty glance and went back to watching their competition perform her daring feats. 'Flips' showed off just how she had earned her nickname in a variety of different ways before rolling back to the staging platform. Everypony was quiet now, thinking of what they could do to best their rivals.

Scootaloo's second run began easily enough. She tried to change things up from what she had done on the previous attempt, taking into consideration the advice she had gotten from Flipping Cricket. Unfortunately, a tricky grind rail on a funbox tripped her up because of a bad approach. She bailed, and her second run was forfeit. She hung her head as she reached the platform.

As the third rounds began Rider was in first with Cricket closely behind in second, mirroring their standings in the qualifying round. Scootaloo, for all her effort in her first run, was in fourth. She grew increasingly worried, but tried to combat those feelings by concentrating on what she had to do in her final attempt.

Finally, her turn came. Scootaloo kept to the things she knew at first. Soon, the filly attempted the grind that caused her to fall before. She landed it with ease, and the crowd roared with delight. She pushed as hard as she could to gain speed from a quarter pipe and landed a 720 spin doing her best to keep the speed she gained. In her line of sight was a simple gap from kicker to kicker over the largest stair set. Time for her seemed to slow for just a moment as she launched off of the small ramp. She bent herself into a superpony position then went for the no-hoofer.

As Scootaloo landed, the final horn of the contest sounded. Parts of the crowd stood and cheered! Soon, everypony was pounding their hooves in approval not just for her, but the entire contest. The now exhausted Youth competitors waited on the staging platform, suspended in anticipation as the judges tallied final scores. The final standing was revealed. Flipping Cricket had won first place, Rider took second, and Scootaloo, by only the slightest margin, took third.

Medals were passed to the three podium winners. Flipping Cricket was ecstatic at her accomplishment and rushed to hug Scootaloo. Congratulations were spoken by each of the winners, even Rider. After all, one has to put on a face of good sportsmanship to keep their sponsors. Flips soon led Scoots to the V.I.P. Lounge to party into the night. Scootaloo couldn't keep up for long, and soon excused herself. Before she left, Flipping Cricket took her aside.

“Leaving so soon? Aw, come on. Stay! Just a little while longer?”

“I'd love to Flips but I'm just so exhausted.”

“Alright, silly filly. But don't think you're getting out of here without another hug.”

The new friends warmly embraced, and Flips pushed herself from Scootaloo while she held on to the bronze winner's shoulders.

“Don't lose touch, Scootaloo. I'll see you again at another competition soon, I'm sure of it. Don't give up!”

“Never. Have a great night, Flips. You've earned it.”

They soon waved their goodbyes and Scootaloo retired to her room for the night. All she did was go over her runs in her head all night. She couldn't sleep, eat, even breathe without it being first and foremost in her head. She was disappointed in herself and alone in a strange place. She couldn't help but let her own ideas of being the best flood her thoughts. In her mind, she had failed.

The train ride home that started the next morning wasn't much help. The thoughts continued to stew and fester. Scootaloo was in a rut. She hardly ate and stayed in her sleeping cab for much of each day. She arrived at Ponyville station with no fanfare. No one was waiting to greet her. 'Did they forget I was coming home today?' She made her way, alone, to the CMC clubhouse and wept herself to sleep.