• Published 16th Jul 2012
  • 565 Views, 1 Comments

Esalar and the Moon Shards - Ykayney



At the banishment Nightmare Moon, Celestia created a back-up plan in the form of 7 Moon Shards.

  • ...
 1
 565

Chapter 3

A loud crash woke Esalar up the next morning
“What in Tartarus was that?” Esalar wondered quietly to himself.

He was answered by a young sounding, male voice.
“Don’t worry! I’m fine!”

“Spike! Be quiet, Esalar is still sleeping!”

Esalars guesses were correct; Spike had fallen down the stairs.

Thinking it was about time to get up; Esalar rose out of bed and levitated his brush to his long mane. Upon deciding that he looked fine, Esalar trotted downstairs to see that Twilight and her clumsy dragon assistant were already preparing some breakfast.

Esalar greeted the two of them as he walked into the kitchen and took a seat at the dining table. Not long after, Spike brought a plate of eggs and toast to Esalar and placed it on the table. Esalar thanked the purple dragon and began to eat, lifting his cutlery using magic.

Twilight sat down across the table from him and began some small talk.
“So, Esalar, where are you from?” Using her knowledge of other ponies from Ponyville, she knew that Esalar wasn’t from around there.

“I’m from Canterlot” Esalar hesitated. “The upper district.”

A look of surprise was struck to Twilights face. “Oh, wow! I mean no offence, but you don’t seem like the kind of Pony to live there.”

A small smile spread onto Esalar’s face. “That’s the reaction I always get. I didn’t grow up there though. I managed to buy my way up through working.” Esalar sips the mug of tea that had been placed before when Spike had finally taken a seat at the table.

“What do you do? You must be the manager of a company! Have I heard of it?” Twilight began to get excited at thought that she might have someone famous in her home.

“I’m a photographer.”

“It seems you’re full of surprises.” Twilight smiled to her guest, to which he replied with his own.

>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<

When Twilight and Spike finished their breakfast, they collected the plates and took them over to the sink to begin cleaning. As Spike finished cleaning a he passed the piece on to Twilight who dried it, but as she placed the plate onto the worktop, it was immediately lifted by a light blue glow and placed into a cupboard with other plates.

“Esalar? You don’t have to help. You’re our guest.”

“Please Twilight, it’s the least I can do in return for your hospitality.” Esalar’s Canterlot side showed through a little as he gave this kind gesture.

>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<

Sometime after the plates and cutlery had been cleaned and returned to their original places, Twilight and Esalar left the Library to meet Twilight’s friends. All the while they were walking, Twilight explained past events where her and her friends had saved Equestria from Nightmare Moon and Discord using the Elements of Harmony.

Whilst listening intently, Esalar took the time to admire more of the Ponyville scenery. All kinds of birds flew over their head singing wonderful, unique tunes and each house was lined around the base with clay pots, holding all kinds of flowers.

Esalar’s intent staring at the buildings was cut off by a sudden question from Twilight. “So, Esalar. Did you go to Celestia’s magic school in Canterlot?”

Esalar had to think for a second and then remembered some incidents that had happened. “Yes, but not for long... There was an accident involving me and an emotionally repressed teacher that led to me being pulled out by my parents.”

“Emotionally repressed teacher? You mean Professor Scramble? I remember him running into the cafeteria and beginning a food fight.” She began to laugh. ”That was hilarious!”

Esalar gave a guilty smile. “Heh, yeah, that would be my fault.” A blush of embarrassment began to show on his face, contrasting against his dark blue coat.

Esalar continued the conversation. “So, who was your teacher? Doctor Light Horn?”

“No, I managed to get some one-on-one tuition with Princess Celestia.”

Esalar stopped in his tracks, eyes wide and mouth agape.

“You studied with the Princess?!”

Twilight giggled at Esalar’s obvious shock and turned slightly with a smile to signal that they should carry on walking. “I still am, but my magical studies are more independent now.”

They reached the edge of the town square in no time to see five ponies surrounding one of the benches talking amongst themselves. “There they are! Come on Esalar, let’s go say ‘Hi’!”

Esalar trotted with Twilight over to where her friends were. Much to his surprise, Fluttershy and Rarity were both amongst them. Rarity was the first to notice them approaching. “Oh! It’s Twilight! Over here darling!” Rarity began waving to the two ponies.

Esalar and Twilight reached destination and Twilight began to introduce her guest. “Hi girls, I’d like you to meet Esalar. He’s here from Canterlot.”

“Esalar, it’s so nice to see you again!” Rarity wasted no time in greeting him.

“Likewise.” Esalar replied warmly. “Hey Fluttershy. Are you okay?”

Fluttershy poked her head out from behind the others. “Oh. Hello Esalar. I’m fine thank you.” Her voice sounded as nervous as ever even though she was familiar with the dark blue stallion.

A sudden gasp was heard as a pink pony bounced her way to the front. “Hi I’m Pinkie Pie and you’re Esalar but you already know that and I’ve never seen you before so that means you must be new and I love meeting new ponies because I know everypony in Ponyville whether they live here or are visiting and because you’re a friend of Twilights then I have to make you a friend of mine and I know the perfect way to do it, do you like parties? Because I like parties and so does everypony here so I have the most perfectist idea to throw you a huge super-duper fun welcome party!” Her speech was almost inaudible at the speed she was speaking so Esalar just gave a nervous smile which was replied with a big hug from Pinkie.

As Pinkie moved to the side a fling light-blue Pegasus landed in front of Esalar and extended a hoof. “Nice to meet you. I’m Rainbow Dash, Wonderbolt in training!”

Esalar accepted her hoof with his own. “Training to join the Wonderbolts, eh? I’ve been to quite a few of their shows, even done some private photo shoots with Soarin and Spitfire.”

Rainbow Dash’s eyes widened. “You know the Wonderbolts?!” She gave an accepting smile. “I think we’ll get along just fine.”

The last pony to greet Esalar was an orange mare with a blonde mane, wearing a brown Stetson. “Hey there partner! Ah’m Applejack, but you can call me AJ.” She too extended a hoof.

“Nice to meet you, Applejack.” He gladly met her hoof with his own.

“Ah heard you mention photo shoots earlier. Does that mean you’re a photographer?” Applejack asked curiously.

Esalar began with a small giggle. “Yes I am, I’ve done nothing too special though.”

Rarity butted in. “Oh darling don’t be so modest! This fine stallion has taken photos of all kinds of famous ponies like the Wonderbolts and the Princesses. He even gets asked to the Gala from time to time, and he was at your brother’s wedding, Twilight.”

Esalar had one of his familiar shocked expressions on his face. “I’m honestly flattered Rarity. But how do you know all this?”

An obviously blush began show on Rarities face contrasting greatly with her white coat. “I guess you could say I’m a bit of a fan.”

Esalar gave an awkward smile as a silence fell over the group which was quickly broken by Twilight. “Sooo, shall we go to the park?” Everypony nodded and proceeded to follow Twilight to their usual picnic spot in the park.

>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<

Applejack had brought some Apple-based snacks and Pinkie had brought some of her famous sweet tasting cupcakes. Twilight pulled out a large piece of fabric from her saddlebag and laid it down on the grass so her and her friends could take a seat and relax.

After a while Esalar sparked up a conversation with Twilight. “Hey Twilight, are you going to tell them about that, thing?”

Twilight’s initial reaction was of confusion but she quickly remembered about the night before. “Oh yeah, I almost forgot.” She said, giggling nervously.

“Oooo, thing? What thing Twilight?! Are you planning a party? Because you know I like parties. So if you were planning a party you know that I’d love to help you organi-mmph mph mphh“ Pinkie’s outburst was stopped by a hoof to her mouth from Applejack.

“No Pinkie, it’s not a party.” Twilight hesitated for a moment. “Girls, we have a mission directly from Princess Celestia.” Esalar lifted his Moon Shard from his saddle bag. “This is a Moon Shard. In short detail, seven of them were created by Celestia as a back-up plan in case Nightmare Moon escaped from the moon early. They are only supposed to be found once their power is truly needed.”

“What kind of power, sugar cube?” Applejack took at small step forward in intrigue.

“More power than the Elements of Harmony.” Twilight’s expression had turned deadly serious now.

The group was taken aback slightly with a small gasp form each of them.

“So what does this have to do with us?” Rainbow Dash spoke out.

“We’ve been given the mission to find and collect these Moon Shards in preparation for their time to be used.” Twilight looked over to Esalar with a smile. “Esalar will be joining us.” He simply replied with a smile.

“Well, Ah’m feelin’ mighty peckish. So, if’n ya don’t mind, Ah’m gonna grab a bite to eat.” Applejack said whilst her stomach began to rumble.

“Not without me you’re not!” Rainbow Dash dashed forward, opening the picnic basket revealing an assortment of muffins, cupcakes and sandwiches.

One by one each pony took an item of food and began to eat. Pinkie Pie ate at least two cupcakes in one gulp, Applejack and Rainbow Dash violently ripping apart their food in friendly competition. That left Twilight, Rarity, Fluttershy and Esalar eating their selected food items in a polite manner.

After the food had been reduced to mere crumbs, the seven ponies lay on the grass, bellies full, enjoying the passing, beautiful day. The peacefulness was interrupted by Pinkie Pie’s eyes shooting open wide followed by a small gasp. She stood up, announcing her sudden leave as everypony looked at her in slight surprise. “I’ll be right back everypony. There’s something back at Sugarcube Corner I have to check on.” Before anypony could reply, Pinkie had dashed off.

“What was that about?” Esalar said with a confused look on his face.

“Pinkie Pie is so random!” Exclaimed Rainbow Dash with a slight giggle as she lay her head back down on the grass.

Esalar raised an eyebrow in Rainbow Dash’s direction, shook his head and looked ahead, back towards Ponyville.

“It’s so beautiful here. So peaceful.” The dark blue stallion whispered out loud to himself which was followed by a long intake of breath through his nose to take in the smells of the countryside.

“I agree.” Esalar looked to his right to see Rarity sat next to him. “As much as I would love to live in Canterlot, there’s something about this place that makes it so hard to leave.” She sighed.

“Have you been there before? To Canterlot?” Esalar asked curiously.

“Yes, a few times. I was 12 years old when I first went with my parents. We lived in Manehatten at the time. I remember seeing the elegance of the buildings and the ponies for the first time, I knew that I just had to live there someday, or at least return again for a longer time.” A small, nostalgic smile appeared on her face.

“Yeah, it is very nice up there. The finest restaurants and bars, and the quality of items in the shops is the finest I have ever seen.” He looked over to the city on the mountain and back to Rarity. “You know, If you ever want to pay another visit there, I ca-“

“I’m back!” Esalar was cut off by a shouting Pinkie Pie approaching holding something in her mouth.

“Hi Pinkie, what have you got there?” Esalar asked as the pink pony got closer.

She dropped a small, shiny, white object to the floor emblazoned with a half-moon shape. “I almost forgot that I found this behind Sugarcube corner a few days ago.”

Esalar lifted the object with his magic. “It’s another Moon Shard!” Everypony that was still lying down lifted their heads up quickly in response to Esalar’s realisation. “What are the odds of that?” Esalar dropped the shard into his saddlebag.

“Well, according to other similar situations I’d say-“ Twilight was cut off by Rarity’s hoof to her mouth.

“I think that was a rhetorical question, darling.”

Esalar giggled slightly. “I’m sorry to leave you all, but I think I should get going. It’s getting pretty late and my home is on the other side of town.”

“Would be so kind as to let me walk you home? I wouldn’t want you getting lost.” Rarity asked as she got slightly closer with a friendly smile.

Esalar backed away awkwardly a small amount joined by an awkward smile. “Thank you Rarity. That would be very nice of you.”

The two ponies waved goodbye to the rest of their friends and made their way to Esalar’s house, with Rarity talking about her dreams of Canterlot and staying relatively close to Esalar during the whole journey.

“Well, here we are Rarity. Thank you so much for walking with me.” Esalar smiled holding out a hoof to her.

“Oh, it was absolutely no problem, darling. Feel free to stop by the Carousel Boutique anytime to say hello.” She met his hoof with her own with a large smile.

Esalar walked into his house and laid his saddlebags carefully on to the dining table. He continued to walk upstairs and wasted no time in climbing into bed, quickly falling asleep with a large yawn.