• Published 16th Jul 2012
  • 565 Views, 1 Comments

Esalar and the Moon Shards - Ykayney



At the banishment Nightmare Moon, Celestia created a back-up plan in the form of 7 Moon Shards.

  • ...
 1
 565

Chapter 1

It was what seemed like a perfectly normal night in the land of Equestria and the dress maker Rarity was in the process of modelling some of her latest designs for a renowned photographer at her store, the Carousel Boutique. She had stuck to her style of adding the most beautiful gemstones to give the fabric an enhanced colour and feel. The photographer by no means specialised in fashion, but even he knew that what he saw could be one of the biggest breakthroughs in clothing design for quite some time.
"Yes! Good! Fantastic! Okay now- Yes! Brilliant!" shouts the photographer in bursts of inspiration as he snaps away with his camera.
He continues to speak out compliments and orders as Rarity follows his every command, scared to mess up and put the photographer off. Eventually, the two mutually agree to stop for the night and go their separate ways.

"Oh, Mr. Starbeam, thank you so much for doing this, I absolutely cannot wait to see the finished photographs!" Rarity began with graceful excitement.
"Please, call me Esalar. It was no trouble at all; it is my job after all. The finished products shall be ready for print very soon, Miss..." His voice, now being much clearer to hear when speaking calmly, was at a fairly low pitch and his words were pronounced almost perfectly, his red mane and tail contrasting excellently against his coat of deep blue fur and equally blue horn.
"Rarity, call me Rarity." The white coated pony was still in as much awe of the colt that stood before her as she was when they met the same morning.
"Well, Rarity. I must say that those dresses of yours are fantastic pieces of work, truly an inspiration to work with."
"Thank you so much Esalar, I do work oh so hard on them." She was delighted of all the compliments that he was giving her.
Esalar gives a small chuckle. "Indeed you do. I must depart now Rarity, but I do believe that we'll be seeing each other again soon." He gives a small smile to Rarity and leaves the building.

>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<

The night sky is a beautiful sight down in Ponyville, mainly due to the fact that the Pegasus Ponies are always doing an excellent job of clearing the sky of clouds every evening. You can see every star, and the moon sheds enough light onto the street for Esalar to find his way back to the small house he has rented for his time in Ponyville. On his way through the Marketplace, Esalar notices a strange light in the sky that could only be described as a Shooting Star, he begins to prepare his camera to capture this wondrous moment, but just as he is ready, the star vanishes out of sight. Esalar lets out a gentle depressive sigh and carries on his way back home. Situated on the outskirts of the Town Square, Esalar's house is a short distance from almost all locations around the town.

Once back inside, Esalar clumbers upstairs to his room where he lights a candle and carries it over to his desk where he carefully places it down using some of his simple unicorn magic. Although being born with the gift of magic, Esalar tries to use it as little as possible and only resorts to it when he is tired or has to handle several things at once. A book finds itself being lifted out of a fairly large rucksack lying on the floor and placed onto the desk next to an already prepared pot of ink and quill. Esalar sits on the wooden stool and begins using more of his magic to open the book and begin writing a journal entry:


Today has been an excellent day.
My first full day in Ponyville to explore and get to know other ponies and then an unexpected photo shoot in the evening for a wonderful young mare named Rarity. Her dresses were truly fantastic!

And to top it off, tonight, on my way home, I saw a shooting star, as clear as day.
It was truly a sight to behold, absolutely amazing.

Going to try and relax a bit more tomorrow, walk around town some more, take some photo's of the nature and Ponyville lifestyle.


Esalar closes his journal and carries his candle over to his bedside cabinet, where he lifts up the sheet and exhaustedly climbs in, covers himself in the woven, cotton delight and blows out his candle to fall into a well deserved deep sleep.

>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<

Mornings in Ponyville are beyond peaceful, singing birds and the bright, warm sunshine lets everypony know that it's time to wake up. Esalar recognises this peacefulness from the first couple of nights he has spent there, but he decides to stay in bed a few more minutes to savour the suns warm touch on his face and to wake up naturally and refreshed from his previous late night. Just as Esalar is feeling content enough to get out of bed, he is interrupted by the sound of a loud horn blowing from outside. The noise was enough for Esalar to slam his eyes open and jump out of bed, landing on his side with a small thud. He manages to scramble back on to all fours and begins a small walk over to his one bedroom window. As he looks outside, Esalar can see ponies gathering around the fountain nearby where a lavender coloured unicorn is stood holding a horn in the grasps of her magic, she seems to be yelling about something but Esalar cannot make out her words through the glass of his window.
Maybe this is how news is delivered in Ponyville, I doubt anything important has happened though.
Esalar heads downstairs to grab his saddle-bag before leaving his house to explore more of Ponyville.

The day is even more beautiful than what Esalar could see out of his window, the sun shone on everything in sight and colourful birds flew around chirping lovely melodic tunes.
How could anything be wrong with the world with days like these?
Esalar began his slow walk to the other side of the street whilst continuing to admire the day and think to himself.
Even the air smells fresh down here. What could anypony want more than waking up to warm sunshine beating down on their face, breathtaking scenic views and pink and yellow blobs running towards them without a care in the world? Wait... What?!
Esalar's thoughts are cut short as he realises that something is heading towards him at a fairly quick speed. Before he can do anything, Esalar finds himself being pushed to the ground with quite some force only to end up on his back with a dazed mare looking back at him. After realising what had just happened the young mare quickly brings herself back onto all 4 hooves only to begin apologising to Esalar.
"Oh my gosh, sir, I am so sorry, please forgive me. I was trying to find a friend for some help but I guess that I was so scared and worried that I didn't look where I was going." Her voice was almost like a whisper and began to get squeakier as she continued to apologise with tears building up in her eyes. Esalar noticed the tears forming and decided that it was time to speak.
"Hey now, it's okay, there's no need to get upset. What's the rush? Anything I can help with?"
The mare was taken aback by the colts' kind gestures
"Um, well, you see..."
"Come on now, no need to be shy, what's your name?"
The young mare looked to the ground then back up slightly towards Esalar.
"Oh, my name's Fluttershy. I woke up this morning to find that my pet, Angel Bunny wasn't home. I've looked everywhere for him, but he could be anywhere by now."
"Well, how about I help you to find this pet of yours? Oh, and my name's Esalar by the way."
Fluttershy is feeling a lot more comfortable around this new pony she has met, especially with the kind gestures he's been giving.
"Oh thank you sir. That would be incredibly kind of you."
Fluttershy perks up a bit when she sees Esalar's friendly smile.
"It would be no trouble at all. Anyway, I want to see more of this town and doing it alone is no fun."

The Pegasus and Unicorn ponies begin their walk back towards the direction that Fluttershy was coming from.
"I think we should check back at my house again, I was just panicking so much this morning that I may have completely missed seeing something."
They continue their walk down the street and past the fountain that Esalar could see from his window until they reached an even smaller path that winded between a couple of trees before reaching a small wooden cottage. In the garden were several cages of different sizes, each looking slightly more unique than the one before. This pony either has A LOT of pets or loves taking care of animals.
When they reach the door Esalar immediately breaks into his detective mode.
"So, Fluttershy, when did you last see your pet?"
"Um, it was last night, he was in his pen and I know for certain that I locked it, so I have no idea how he could've gotten out."
"Well, let's check near the pen!" Esalar follows Fluttershy down the garden to a smallish wooden box with a metal grated door.
He begins to take a look around, in and outside of the pen, searching for any clues that may lead to explaining how Angel Bunny escaped his cage and where he went to. Until eventually, Esalar comes across something strange on the gardens front gate. On opposite sides of an opening in the gates design are tiny clumps of white fur.
"Hey! Fluttershy! I've found something!"
Fluttershy gently hovers over to Esalars' position to see what he is pointing at, after taking a couple of seconds to look at the material on the gate she realises that it is Angel Bunny's fur and she lets out what should be a loud gasp but just sounds close to a normal inhale of breathe.
"Oh my, that's Angel Bunny's fur. I wonder where he could have gone to?"
"I'm not sure Fluttershy, but I think that small trail of fur will lead us to him."
Fluttershy does a quick double-take, "Wait, a trail of fur? How did I miss that?" She looks down with a sad look in her eyes. Esalar notices this and changes the attitude to something more positive, guessing that she can be a bit sensitive.
"Let's go then! Don't want to keep old Angel Bunny waiting now, do we?!"
Fluttershy puts on a determined face and nods at Esalar.
"Right!"

>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<

After 2 minutes of following the sparse trail, the two ponies reach the entrance of a dark, gloomy looking forest.
"H-He w-went, i-in t-there?!" Fluttershy began stuttering and shaking with fear.
"Are you okay? It's only a forest. It can't be that bad, right?"
"Are you kidding?! That's... The Everfree Forest! It's the darkest and scariest forest you will ever go in to! Why would Angel Bunny want to go in there?!" Fluttershy had stopped stuttering by this point and instead sounded quite frantic. Esalar could see that she was becoming uneasy so he placed his front hooves on her shoulders and looked into her eyes.
"Hey, hush now. Nothing's going to happen while I'm here, okay? You'll be fine, trust me."
Fluttershy looks into his calm eyes and then down to the floor whilst relaxing her tense muscles again.
"Okay." And with that final word they begin their venture into the Everfree Forest in search of Angel Bunny.

It had seemed like they were walking for hours until they come across something unusual, there are crumbs left in a small area just off the side of the path that look like they are from carrots. The two ponies carry on walking down the small dirt path, but the further they go, the mistier it becomes and it becomes increasingly harder to see where they are going.
"Hey, you okay back there Fluttershy? Stick close to me; I don't want you getting lost now."
About a second after Esalar utters those words he feels Fluttershys mane brush against him.
She must really love that pet, I'd dread to think of her state if I didn't offer to help.
They keep walking for what seems another mile or two until the mist finally clears away, but what is revealed behind the mist forces Esalar to stop in his tracks in surprise. A ruin, standing about 50 feet tall, protruding from the ground. Esalar takes the opportunity and grabs his camera that he almost forgot he had with him and he begins to take several pictures. Fluttershy steadily walks up to the ruin and up the stone steps that lead to the doorway. As she reaches the top, Fluttershy notices a small white rabbit stood at the farthest end of the room with folded arms and stamping his foot.
"Angel Bunny?!" Fluttershy gallops toward the white rabbit and leaps to it, enclosing it in her hooves. "Oh Angel Bunny, I'm so glad I found you! I was worried sick! Don't ever ever ever EVER run off again, okay?!"
Angel Bunny just clambers out of her hooves and onto her back where he begins to tap his foot at an alarming speed. Esalar finally joins Fluttershy inside of the ruin just as Angel Bunny does this.

"Everything okay in here?" Esalar notices the white rabbit on Fluttershys back and smiles.
Fluttershys face told Esalar that she was too busy concentrating to listen to him, she was in fact concentrating on Angels foot tapping speeds and patterns, seeing as Angel Bunny cannot talk, this is the way the two of them had developed so they could interact.
"Angel Bunny says there's something strange on the floor that we should take a look at..." Fluttershy sounded as confused as Esalar looked but they both looked to the floor and Esalar spotted something immediately.
"You mean that white shard down there?"
Angel Bunny hops with joy on Fluttershys back.
"I'm taking that as a yes then."
Esalar lifts the strange white item up using his unicorn magic so that they could take a closer look at it.
"Ohh, it's so pretty. I bet Rarity would love this!" Fluttershy seemed mesmerized by the strange white shard.
Esalar ignores the last statement being slightly mesmerized himself but eventually comes back around with a shake of the head.
"I wonder what this is."
"I'm not sure, but my friend Twilight might know. She lives in the Library in town." This was a new name to Esalar, he has already made two new friends in Ponyville, is he going to make another one soon? He places the shard in his saddle-bag and they head off back to Fluttershys house.

It seemed to take a lot less time to get out of the Everfree Forest than it seemed to take going in for the two ponies, but they made it out alive.
"I can't thank you enough for helping me Esalar." Fluttershy was back to her quiet, whispering tone.
"It's okay Fluttershy. I'm always happy to help a pony in need. See you around"
Esalar smiles at the happy mare, waves his hoof and continues on his way to find the Library in Ponyville in hopes that the pony inside will hold some answers as to what he is actually in the possession of.