• Published 28th Oct 2017
  • 357 Views, 1 Comments

Holiday Season - Phoenix Heart 27



Short Stories about the greatest time of the year! Happy Holidays Everypony!

  • ...
 1
 357

Harvest Celebrations (Night Art)

Late autumn was a special time for ponies all across Equestria. After the hype that was “Nightmare Night” had come and gone, as well as prior to the warmth and serenity that came with both the Winter Moon celebration and Hearth's Warming Eve, ponies had yet another reason to celebrate. The Autumn Harvest celebration was a time honored tradition dating back to the original settler ponies and the native populations. A time to be thankful for the bountiful harvest of various crops of the year. Of course, different households had different traditions for this particular holiday. This year was no exception as Spectrum Dream was hard at work trying to get his house together for the onslaught of relatives he and his family would be hosting. He was in the kitchen preparing the stuffed pumpkin when he heard a crash from the living room.

“What in the name of Equestria is going on in here?!”, Spectrum asked as he hurriedly wheeled himself into the living room.

rien papa”, Midnight said whilst looking nervously at her adoptive mother.

“Exactly, nothing love.”, Harmonia said. An equally nervous look cast down upon her daughter.

“Uh-huh. And would that ‘nothing’ have anything to do with you two being tangled up in leaf garland and pine?”, Spectrum asked with a cocked eyebrow.

The mare and filly looked at one another and shrugged, “No”.

Spectrum just laughed in a gentle teasing way as he pulled the two free from their little mess.

“I can see you two had a bit of trouble getting the Autumn Harvest decorations out of the shed. Why didn’t you call for me to help out?”, He asked again.

“Well….we figured that we could get them ourselves. Especially since you were in the kitchen and ‘miss Cat’ is off today. We were only trying to get the Autumn Harvest stuff but...somehow we got Hearth’s Warming decorations mixed in.”, Midnight explained as she shook a wreath off her neck.

Spectrum simply smiled as he helped his wife and daughter untangle the decorations as well as getting them placed correctly. The three then proceeded to get the rest of the living room together before guests started arriving.

“So Papa, remind me of who all are coming over again?”, Midnight asked as she set a centrepiece on the coffee table.

“Of course. Let's see there’s: Your Tante Marzipan, Oncle Iron Hoof and tes cousins Speedy and Dawnbreaker. Grand-mère Ocean Breeze and Grand-père Astro. Cousin Star Bright, Oncle Six Strings and finally of my side, tes cousin Emerald is bringing her new baby filly, Dawn. Plus quite a few of your mother's relatives are coming as well. That and you remember that we invited Moondance and her family over for Autumn Harvest.”, Spectrum listed off as he rolled his way back to the kitchen.

“Wow. And how many from your side?”, Midnight asked her mother.

“Only my brother Half Note, his wife Toffey and their filly Zeta. You remember her from the wedding? She was the other flower filly along with you.”, Harmonia explained.

Midnight’s face lit up at the memory of her new cousin and her sneaking sweets from the buffet table and getting caught by her grand-mère Ocean. Afterwards it seemed she and Zeta had gotten along fabulously. She did frown a bit at the mention that her cousin Dawnbreaker would be there as the two cousins were notoriously enemies in every sense of the word. Always playing pranks on one another or getting each other in trouble. She shook those thoughts away as she heard the sound of the doorbell. As she ran to the door she completely ignored her papa telling her not to run in the foyer. The result? Her slipping and crashing into the door.

“I’m okay! Getting the door!”, she yelled back to the slightly nervous parents in the living room. She opened the door to find their housekeeper/nurse Ms. Red Cross standing there looking slightly frazzled.

“Hiya Midnight. Happy Autumn Harvest!”, Ms. Red Cross said with a smile.

“Hi Ms. Red Cross! Please come in.”, Midnight greeted as she stepped aside to let her in. Being mindful of the few leaves that managed to fall from Ms. Red Cross’s mane.

“Hello everypony! As you can see, I got your S.O.S text-mergency Spectrum.”, Ms. Red Cross said with a chuckle.

“Thank Faust you did, Catrina! I...seem to be having all ze bad luck in ze kitchen today...it’d be better if I ‘shut my trap’ and show you.”, Spectrum sighed in embarrassment as he lead Catrina back into the kitchen.

With those two out of sight, Midnight and Harmonia wondered the same thought.

Why didn't he just ask me for help?’, the two ladies thought as they continued getting the living room in order.

In the kitchen...around the same time…

“Okay so, that should be it for the stuffed skinned pumpkin. Let that stay in the oven for 4 hours exactly. Please don’t end up undercooking or overcooking it! Faust knows nopony likes either outcome. Now all that’s left is...the salad and the macaroni.”, Catrina said with a small weary exhale.

“Thanks so so much ‘Cat’! I don’t know what I would’ve done without you here. Sure the girls could’ve helped but Harmonia is very wary around our new oven and Midnight is still too young to work it by herself--”, Spectrum stated but was quickly cut off by Catrina.

“--Oh please! That little filly in there can handle a lot more than you give her credit for. As for your wife however….well...we all can secretly be wary of technology at times. I remember when I first got my cell phone, I couldn't for the life of me figure that thing out!”, Catrina swiftly cut in as she started on the macaroni pot.

“Yes I know how that is mon amie. I also would like to apologize for calling you in here on your off day.”, Spectrum added with a bashful smile.

“Think nothing of it! Although…..” she paused to look at her watch and saw that it was nearing 3pm “...I will barely have time to help with the mac n’ cheese before I gotta go.”, Catrina finished with a deep sigh.

“Aww! Must you? You know as well as I that you are welcome to stay for dinner. It’s mainly friends and family and there will likely be leftovers.”, Spectrum said as he started on the salad.

“I wish I could but, I have….something to do in a little while...plus I left Kai in charge and I rather not imagine the state of my place when we get ready to leave.”, Catrina said as the pot started to boil and she added the noodles.

Knowing he should ask but, being the good client and friend that he is, he decided to keep quiet on his curiosity as to why his nurse would have to decline the offer. Even so they worked through the last little bit of food preparations with light small talk amongst friendly company.

“Okay that is it. Macaroni’s done and in the clay oven. Salad also done and in the refrigerator to wait.”, Catrina analyzed as she cleaned up the kitchen.

“Again, thank you so much Catrina! You’re a lifesaver...in more ways than one.”, Spectrum chuckled as the two headed back into the living room to a shock. The entire living room was only half decorated in Autumn Harvest decorations. The other half was still undecorated and Midnight, with Harmonia were front halves deep in one big box searching for more decorations.

“Okay, this would be really funny if it weren’t for the fact that you two are struggling.”, Catrina said as she pulled Midnight and a large leaf garland out of the box.

“Thanks ‘Miss Cat’. Took me longer than I thought to get that garland out.”, Midnight thanked her with a sheepish smile.

“No worries now--” Catrina starts but is cut off by an alarm on her phone “--Crap! I’m almost late! Sorry to be rushing out like this, but I’m about to be late! See you all on Sunday! Bye!”, she finishes as she rushes to put on her boots and coat before speeding out the door.

“I wonder where she zipped off to?”, Midnight thought aloud before being called to help finish setting up the dining room.


4 Hours Later….

Friends and family were gathered around in the living and dining rooms. The stuffed pumpkin already out the oven and getting ready to be finished and put on the table. Spectrum’s in the living room entertaining his parents and siblings while Harmonia was busy handling the remainder of the food in the kitchen.

“Shoot! We’re out of honey and oats. Midnight! Can you come here please?”, Harmonia called out to her daughter.

Surely enough, Midnight came running in the room with her two best friends trailing right behind her.

Qui mama? What is it you need?”, Midnight asked as she finally slowed down.

“I need you to run out to the store and pick up a jar of honey and a bag of oats. It appears that we’ve run out. Can you please do that for mama?”, Harmonia asked.

“Yes. As long as my friends come with me. Oh! And I kinda need bits too.”, Midnight accepted as Harmonia pulled a small pouch of bits out her apron and hoofed it to her as she shooed the trio of fillies towards the coat rack.

“Well, guess we’re making a quick grocery run.”, Melody said as she slipped on her coat.

“Yep! So let’s get a move on girls.”, Midnight replied as she wrapped her scarf around her neck and slipped her boots on. Soon all 3 were out the door.

A Little While Later on the streets of Trottingham…

After an almost unbeatable crowded time at the grocery store, the trio of fillies found themselves walking back towards Midnight’s house. As they walked and aimlessly chatted amongst themselves, they came across a local homeless shelter.

*sigh* I honestly feel awful this time of year. Seeing all these ponies without a place to stay or even a actual edible meal to eat on Autumn Harvest Day. Just tears me up inside.”, Desert sighed as they walked past a line of ponies waiting for a meal. Among them, Midnight noticed a very familiar looking amber coated pegasus with a grey, moth-eaten trench coat.

“Hey! Is that--Is that miss Red Cross?!?”, Midnight exclaimed in shock as she went over to investigate further. To the annoyance of her friends as they chased after her.

“Miss Red Cross? Is that you?”, Midnight asked as she approached the long line.

“Midnight?! Melody Star?! Desert Wind?! What are you doing here?”, Catrina asked in surprise.

“Grocery run and I dragged them with me. Now, why are you here in this line?”, Midnight asked confused.

“Well it’s gonna have to do until I get back to the house. Faust knows I can’t leave that bull-headed son of mine alone with our stuff for long. Somepony’ll end up stealin’ all if it like last year.”, Catrina sighed as she saw she was next in line to get two to-go containers of soup, two halves of bread, a container of mac n’ cheese, two water bottles, two slices of pumpkin pie and a thin blanket.

“Wait, you mean like a halfway house? Is that where you and Twister are living??”, Desert asked in shock.

*sigh* As a matter of fact...yes. Yes we are. Which is why I’ve been taking on longer hours with your father and why I’ve looked a bit more tired than usual. Yes I remember that day you saw me doubled over in pain. I appreciate that you knew what to do in that situation, Midnight.”, Catrina said with a large sigh as she started to walk back towards the shelter before being stopped by a trio of concerned fillies.

“No!”, Midnight said in a small tone.
“Excuse me!?”, Catrina exclaimed in surprise.

“NO! No, you are NOT going back to that shelter with what can barely be considered a proper Autumn Harvest’s meal! You and Twister are gonna pack your stuff up and both of you are staying with us for the holidays. No ‘buts’ about it.”, Midnight said in a more authoritative tone.

“Okay, bu what about your parents? How are you gonna explain this to them?”, Catrina asked a bit in surprise.

“Leave mama et papa to me. I just want you two to have an amazing Autumn Harvest Celebration like we do.”, Midnight replied as she wrapped her scarf around herself tighter.

Catrina couldn’t believe what she was hearing! She’d never heard such a magnificent offer in all her years. Perhaps it was because she was freezing or perhaps it was because she was half-desperate but she nodded before spreading her wings and heading off to go pick up her son and what little of their belongings they owned before checking out of the shady halfway house. Afterwards she, along with her son followed the trio of friends back to Midnight’s house to explain the situation and to sit down to a wonderful Autumn Harvest Day’s feast.