• Published 28th Oct 2017
  • 351 Views, 1 Comments

Holiday Season - Phoenix Heart 27



Short Stories about the greatest time of the year! Happy Holidays Everypony!

  • ...
 1
 351

I'll Be Home For Christmas (The Thief and the Dancer)

Author's Note:

Obviously this version of this song was the inspiration for this one-shot!:

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!

Winter had come. It had come in full force within the first 2 days after the Winter Moon Celebration. Pretty soon, most of Manehattan was covered in snow and ice. Ponies didn't seem to care as the more important part was soon to take place: Christmas. Bustling to and fro from store to store, ponies with heavy saddlebags filled with gifts rush into the busy streets. Those not in the cornucopia of shoppers were just as busy in their homes. Such was the case of Graceful Runner. Having to get her house together was the easy part. Trying to cook and handle a very curious 2 year old colt was the hard part.

“Mama, what’cha doin?”, Maple Leaf asked his mother as she was busy cooking.

“Mama’s cooking Christmas dinner, ‘lil’ leaf’.”, Grace replied to her son as his little face lit up.

“I help! I help cook?”, Maple asked (as well as a two-year-old could).

Grace seemed to think this over briefly. There really wasn't much he could help with aside from small things. She smiled before responding.

“Okay Maple, while you're a bit too little to help me cook, do you think you can help mama set the table?”, Grace asked her son. To which the little colt was all too happy to oblige as he hurried off to the dining room to try and set some places at the table.

“Please make sure to ask for help if you need it!”, Grace yelled out to which she got a small nicker in response as Maple Leaf went ahead and set the table. Pretty soon he almost had everything on the table. It was going well until he came across the knives. Not knowing what he was doing, he carried them as best he could--pointing the wrong way--which his mother quickly saw.

“Maple Leaf!” Grace screamed as she quickly snatched the knives away from her little colt without injuries to either of them “Baby those are very dangerous! I don’t want you handling those, ya hear?!”, she finished.

“O-kay...Mama. I-I’m...s-s-sorry!”, Maple apologized as he started crying.

Grace saw the way his little eyes filled with tears and knew she had likely scared him by her overreacting. So she placed the knives down on the table and scooped up her little foal.

“Oh baby...Mama’s sorry she yelled...I just didn't notice you grabbing the knives out of the cabinet. I should’ve been more clear when I asked you to set the table. I meant for you to grab the plates, spoons, bowls and placemats. Not everything in the cabinet!”, Grace said as she soothed her crying colt.

“Ooohh….I got it now. Okay!....” Maple started after ceasing crying “....Mama help?”, he finished with a slight tint of pink to his face.

Grace simply chuckled as the pair quickly got back to work setting the table correctly. As soon as they were done, Grace sent Maple to go play in his room for a bit while she finished up a few things in the kitchen. During that time between dishes, she heard the front door open. Instantly on the alert she turned and poked her head out of the kitchen. Only to be greeted by the unexpected, but still welcome face of her best friend, Gabriel.

“Ho Ho Ho and a bottle of rum! Heya babe!”, Gabriel shouted as he came in fully. Carrying said rum under a wing and a small sack in a talon. Saddlebags nestled cozily on his back.

“Gabe!”, Gracie said as she rushed out to squeeze him tight.

“Listen, I know y’all wasn’t expecting me til tomorrow but...I just couldn't wait!”, Gabe said as he placed the bag with rum in the kitchen.

“Well I sure am glad you here! But you mean to tell me you flew all the way from Detrot to here in over a day?”, Gracie asked.

“Well no! I only flew half the way. Took a train the first half. Anyways, I come bearing gifts! Some for you and the rest of the crew. One or two for Wolf Runner, but most are for my lil nephew! Where is he anyways?”, Gabe explained before asking.

As if by magic or the sheer will power of hearing his “favorite” uncle's voice, Maple Leaf popped up out his room and charged (again, as well as a two-year-old could) at Gabriel.

“Unca ‘G’!”, Maple Leaf shouted in happiness as he hugged his ‘uncle’.

“There’s my lil’ daredevil! C’mere!”, Gabe said as he proceeded to tickle the young one senseless.

*chuckle* I’m gonna assume the rest of the gang gonna show up pretty soon?”, Grace chuckled.

*pant* Y-Yeah. Serene and her husband are bringing their little filly by a little later and I gotta call Cold back and see on their status.”, Gabe said as he caught his breath.


“Mmmm...okay. Well as soon as they get here, we can start! Besides I...may have a surprise for everypony later on in the night.”, Grace said rather cryptically as she picked her son up.

🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺

“Of all the days! Why today?!?”, Wolf Runner bemoaned to himself as he found himself being chased down by a couple of familiar cops on the opposite side of town.

“FREEZE!!!”, one cop shouts as he conjures up his baton.

“Geeze! I didn’t do ANYTHING!! Just trying to get home!”, Wolf shouts back as he jumps over an overturned barrel. Soon enough he finds himself tripping over a second barrel and falling. This gave the police officers a chance to properly detain and cuff him.

“Now relax. We’re just gonna take ya back to the station for some questioning.”, the other cop said as he lifted Wolf off the ground and put him in the back of the police cart.

1 hour Later…

Sitting in a holding cell was by no means a new experience for Wolf Runner. He’d been in this very holding cell more times than he’d like to admit over the years. Yet it was today, on Christmas Eve was what made him silently curse the police department of Manehattan.

“*sigh* This is NOT how I intended to spend Christmas Eve.” Wolf started as he saw the guard of the holding cell move “Hey! Can I at least have my one phone call?! C’mon! I really need it!” he finished as he accidentally banged his hoof against the bars.

The cell guard took one look at the poor stallion and all he saw was not a criminal, but a shocked and upset stallion in a dire situation.

“Please. As I told the cops who arrested me and the detectives who interrogated me, I was simply retrieving my St. Nicholas costume from my workplace as well as presents. See this is the first year my son can actively enjoy Christmas. Presents and all! This was simply me retrieving those gifts and others from my warehouse. Now that I’ve once again been arrested, I likely won’t be able to get home in time tomorrow to see my little colt open up his gifts or see the look on my wife’s face when she sees what I got her. *sigh* They’re gonna love ‘em...if I manage to get outta here in time.”, Wolf pleaded to what he assumed, deaf ears.

The guard, having listened to Wolf’s story, felt immense sympathy and believed him. Despite knowing he’d get his tail handed to him for doing it, he unlocked the cell and lead Wolf Runner towards the phone.

“Here, call whoever you need to. No limit.”, The guard said as he removed his cap and ran a hoof through his lemon colored mane.

“R-Really?!”, Wolf gasped.

“Consider it a Christmas favor.”, the guard said through a genuine smile.

“Thank you sir! Thank you so much!”, Wolf said as he was uncuffed and passed a landline telephone.
🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄


“Mama!! Can I open a present? Pweese?!?”, Maple Leaf once again asked his mother as she was working in the kitchen.

*sigh* As I told you the past 3 times you asked, No. You have to wait until tomorrow morning.”, Gracie sighed as she placed her pot of pasta on the stove.

“Awww, C’mon Gracie! Let the kid open up one!”, Cold Waters called out to the frustrated mother.

“No! He’s gotta learn to be more patient.”, Grace replied as she turned on a radio. Some Christmas music was playing.

“I agree with Cold here. Maple’s been as patient as he could be practically all year….or at least….for the past 6 months.”, Serene said as she looked over at her own foal as she played around with Maple Leaf.

Gracie looked--for lack of better terms--wrecked as she listened to her friends’ logic. Yet, being the “responsible” parent she is, decided to stick to her guns and hold firm to her decision.

“He also has to learn that when it comes to Christmas, it’s better to be patient and wait for the rewards than to dive right in.”, Grace said as she turned back to the large pot of Bitalian Vegetable Soup with some garlic bread in the oven. Just as she was about to take the bread out, the telephone rang.

“Could one of ya get the phone?”, Gracie said as she placed the pan of bread down to cool.

“On it!....” Fasthoof started “Hello?.....yes...she’s busy at the moment, who may I ask is calling?.....Holy--Wolf!...okay...where you at bro?....YOU WHERE?!.....hold on, I’ll get Grace!”, he finished before dropping the receiver and rushing to grab Grace.

An obviously confused Grace picked up the fallen receiver.

“Hello?”, she asked.

I'll be home for Christmas
You can count on me

“Grace! Thank Faust. Okay….don’t get mad but I...kinda….got arrested on a false charge and am in a holding cell.”, Wolf said knowing what kind of response his wife would have.

Please have snow and mistletoe
And presents on the tree


“YOU’RE WHERE!!!???!!!”, Grace shouted before looking over to her son and ‘niece’.

“Okay foals, hows about Uncle Gabe takes you two outside so you can play in the snow! Sound good?”, Serene said as she already started slipping on two little coats and reached for two sets of boots per foal. Said pair of foals squealed in delight as their ‘uncle’ scooped them on his back and headed out on the fire escape ladder.

Christmas Eve will find me

“Listen I know this isn’t the most ideal--”, Wolf started before being cut off.

“Damn right it isn’t! How the hell did the cops even find you?”, Grace said in barely contained rage.

“I dunno? All I know is one moment, I’m going back to the warehouse to get the suit and gifts and the next moment, I’m fleeing with the duffle bags and sacks in my magic grasp! Yeah I swear Law Book and Silver Badge always have it out for me this time of year! They booked me and to make matters worse I’m at the precinct on the other side of town.”, Wolf finished with a sigh.

Grace covered the receiver briefly to let out a frustrated groan before uncovering it and placing it back to her ear.

“I heard that! Please don’t be making that face after letting out your lil’ bit of rage.”, Wolf said.

“I do what I want. Now….*sigh*...looks like I’ll be up there to come get you in a bit.”, Grace said through a sigh.

“Uhh...babe? Not to harbor on your enthusiasm, but have you seen outside lately or have you been in the same spot in the kitchen since I left?”, Wolf responded in a serious tone that hid his worriedness.

As he said this, Grace looked out the window and sure enough there was a thick blanket of snow already on the ground and more coming down.

“Dangit! No matter, I’ll still come!”, Grace said with determination.

“No. Babe you ain’t understanding. They won’t let me out until tomorrow morning and that’s only due to the heavy snowfall!”, Wolf said.

“B-But that’s Christmas! Surely they can get an air patroller and escort you home tonight! I mean…*sigh* Wolf...there was something I really needed to tell ya tonight! And if I didn't tell ya, then I’d lose my nerve. Besides, imagine how Maple will feel when I tell him his papà won’t be back for Christmas morning!”, Grace said as she slightly teared up.

“Oh il mio amore...I will tell you this. Because it’s a mistaken charge, they have to let me go as I’m innocent. Most importantly, I want you and Everypony there know that I’ll be home before dawn...I promise you that.”, Wolf replied with a strong voice.

“O….okay…”, Grace said as her voice cracked.

“I can practically hear you about to cry love. Don’t worry Gracie….I’ll be home for Christmas Day. Now I gotta go as I need to let the next pony use it.”, Wolf said.

“Ok. I love you.”, Gracie said with barely held back tears.

“Love you too. Tell Maple I said goodnight and that I’d see him in the morning. Til’ next time.”, Wolf said.

“I will. Love you too. Til’ morning we meet again.”, Gracie said as the line disconnected. As she placed the receiver back on the base.

Where the love light gleams

🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺🐺

[approx. 5 hours later…]

Wolf Runner was being escorted over to the evidence locker where his bags stayed by the very same officer who was watching his cell.

“Hey, man thanks again! You really are my guardian angel this year officer….”, Wolf stopped after realizing he didn’t catch the officers’ name.

“McCuffs. Officer Malcolm McCuffs and it was my pleasure. I just hope we make it back to your place before dawn.”, Officer McCuffs said in a soft voice.

“Yeah I hope so too. Gosh, I can’t wait to see my little colt’s face when he sees just what ‘Saint Nicholas’ brought him this year!”, Wolf said with a smile.

“How old’s your little colt?”, McCuffs asked in curiosity.

“A whole 2 years. Just turned two in October. Then there’s the subject of my wife…”, Wolf replied then fell off.

“Ahhh, so that’s who was screaming on the other end of that phone! Makes sense.”, McCuffs laughed.

“Hehe yeah...she was absolutely pissed when she heard me tell her I was in here...again. But something about the way she was talking towards the end seemed...I dunno...off set a bit. Like she was a bit more emotional than usual.”, Wolf explained.

“*sigh* Bud, when it comes to mares around this time of year, they tend to get a wee bit...well crazy! Especially the pregnant ones. I remember when my dear wife was pregnant with our 3rd foal. *chuckles* that Christmas was an interesting one indeed!”, McCuffs shared as he helped Wolf Runner into his ‘Saint Nicholas’ suit.

“Oh don’t I know it!”, Wolf said as he collected the bags of presents and the two proceeded to head towards the sky cruiser. They proceeded to load the cart with the bags and then themselves as they pulled off into the early morning hours before dawn on that snowy Christmas morning.

I'll be home for Christmas

Right before dawn on that beautiful snowy morning, a cop and a (former) thief made their way to a small apartment building in West Manehattan. Opening up a window from the fire escape, Wolf proceeded to transport the bags of gifts silently into his home and arranging them as so the good ones are in opening view first. With the best ones for last. When the final present was lay under the tree, the officer tipped his hat before leaving. Wolf managed to sneak down the hallway and into his room (whilst peeking in on their slumbering son as he past) quieter than still air. However he did make a small yelp as he’d hit his hoof on the bedpost as he tried to sneak over and place his wife’s gift on her night table. Thus causing her to stir a bit, but not awaken. It was a minute to 6 am when he sat back on the couch, still dressed as ‘Saint Nicholas’.

“3...2...1...and...MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYPONY!!!!”, Wolf bellowed as he stood in the center of their living room.

Awoken by the sudden noise, little Maple Leaf jumped out his bed as he realized what day it was. Quick as a flash, he slipped on his slippers and bolted down the hall to where his mama was sleeping and jumped on her bed.

Mama! Mama! è Natale! è Natale!!!”, Maple shouted in Bitalian as he jumped up and down excitedly while his mother awoke.

“I know lil’ leaf! Buon Natale! Let’s go see what ‘Saint Nicholas’ left you huh?”, Grace said as she watched her son bounce off the bed and down the hall. After a few moments she heard the unmistakable shriek of ‘it's Saint Nicholas!’ from her son. At that, she fully got up and readjusted her sleeping gown and fixed the rollers in her mane as she stepped out into the brightly lit living room. To her surprise and delight, there stood proud and tall was her dear husband dressed as Saint Nicholas, passing present after present to her son. A camcorder sat on and recording on the nearest shelf.

“I see ‘Saint Nicholas’ paid you an extra special trip this year didn’t he Maple!?”, Grace asked her son smiling.

“Yeah! Look what I got mama! A new twain set! N’ a new tri-tri-tri--?”, Maple excitedly said as he struggled with a word.

“Tricycle, my love.”, Grace corrected him as a flash of light and sparkles briefly blinded them.

“Where he go?”, Maple asked.

“Oh back to the North Pole my son. To Prepare for next Christmas!”, a familiar voice sounded out as the front door opened.

“Papà! You here!!”, Maple shouted as he jumped onto (a recently changed) Wolf Runner.

“Told ya he was gonna be here didn’t I?”, Grace said as she picked up her son and kissed her husband. Her son nodded his head rapidly.

“And I always keep my promises.”, Wolf said as he watched his son tear into the rest of his presents.

[a little while later after breakfast had been eaten...]

“I don't wanna know how it is you managed to get here in the amount of time you did or how you got me this stunning necklace!”, Gracie said as she clipped the pear necklace onto her neck.

“All the more for me to know and you to find out later my love.”, Wolf responded as he sat back on the couch.

“Yeah….about that...do you remember me saying something about I had to tell you something?”, Grace said with a tint of nervous energy about her.

“Yes actually! I was gonna bring that up before Maple practically body slammed me into the couch. I swear, he was really happy to see his daddy.”, Wolf said with a smile.

“Yeah...well...what if I told you that Maple Leaf won’t be the only one to call you that anymore?”, Grace said as she loosened her robe a bit.

“What do you mean?”, Wolf asked before it all clicked in his head.

If only in my dreams

Gracie slowly removed her robe to reveal a Christmas sweater that read ‘there's a cookie in my oven’ in big white letters against her black sweater.

“Sweet Celestia! Gracie you--you’re---again?!”, Wolf stuttered out in surprise and growing happiness.

“Yep! I found out 2 weeks ago that I am almost 1 month along.”, Gracie smiled and nodded before being picked up gently and spun around the kitchen.

“This is amazing! Maple’s gonna be a big brother! I-I’m gonna be a father again! Wow!”, Wolf babbled out of happiness.

“Yes mio amore and I a mother again.”, Grace smiled as she kissed her husband.