• Published 30th Aug 2017
  • 1,455 Views, 30 Comments

Serenading The Fading Light - Flash Notion



Sunset Shimmer and Sonata Dusk have been living together for a while now. But hard times will test the strength and depth of their friendship, and their lives will be changed, forever. Written for Changing Seasons shipping contest.

  • ...
2
 30
 1,455

Message Recieved

I didn't sleep.

How could I? After everything that had happened, everything that could happen... Sonata was just giving up?

I didn't want to believe it.

She'd left before, though. I fixated on that. Why? Had she given up then, but something made her come back? Maybe she'd gone to find her sisters, and things didn't work out. Then why would she leave now? If she'd seen that other side, if she knew it wasn't any better, then why would she go back? Unless that was something else, and she was only just giving up now...

It was thoughts like that chasing each other in my head. All night, I tossed and turned on the couch. A couple times I tried climbing the stairs to my bed, but that hardly helped. I had an itch. Every moment I spent biting my lip trying to figure her out.

When my namesake finally rose over the buildings, I was no closer. My crusted eyes stabbed my brain with the light.

Seeing no other choice, I got up to face the day on zero sleep.

First thing first, I washed the grit away. I scrubbed it out of my eyes. Then I took a real shower.

When I got out, I felt just as stiff and worried. Dressing myself felt like I was back just getting used to being human. I couldn't make my arms move how I wanted them to.

On a whim, I grabbed my phone and sent my boss a text.

Systems flushing. Might be contagious. I'll be late, if at all.

That oughta do it. I dropped the device onto my bed and sat down to figure out my plan.

Sonata wanted to leave. If she did, she'd be throwing away everything. I couldn't let her.

Well, she did just lose her job...

Well, not exactly. But close enough. Enough that looking for a new job was a good idea. Enough that she probably felt terrible about it. I winced. Losing her music classes a few days later probably hadn't helped...

Okay then.

First thing to do: get those things sorted out. I'd have to talk to Miss Coloratura, and Coriander. Like I planned to do, I remembered. I mentally dope-slapped myself. How'd I forget that one?

My phone chimed. Spark Plugs. My boss had replied.

Better out than in! Seriously, get better. We'll make do.

That decided it. I scurried downstairs and slipped on my jogging shoes. Glancing at Sonata's door the whole time, I laced them on as secure as possible.

You're not leaving yet, Sonata.