• Published 30th Aug 2017
  • 1,455 Views, 30 Comments

Serenading The Fading Light - Flash Notion



Sunset Shimmer and Sonata Dusk have been living together for a while now. But hard times will test the strength and depth of their friendship, and their lives will be changed, forever. Written for Changing Seasons shipping contest.

  • ...
2
 30
 1,455

Finale

The motorcycle hummed underneath me. I hadn't ridden in ages- I had nowhere I really needed to go. Until now.

And I rode hard.

My jacket whipped in the wind as I sped along the coastal road. I'd made it in just under nine hours. It was afternoon. I'd had to break just about every traffic law from here to Canterlot to do it, but I did it.

I slid the bike into what I considered a parking space, then hopped off. My helmet bounced across the concrete as I threw it onto the curb. My jacket settled on top of it.

I ran out onto the pier.

“Sonata!” I yelled. “Sonata!”

Nothing. Just the wheeling of sea birds in the sky.

I waited another minute.

Desperately, I peered into the water. Sharks, Fluttershy had said. But small ones. Still, I was hesitant to jump yet.

“SONATA!” I screamed at the ocean. “SONA-”

“What?”

I jumped. She was right there, drifting in the tide. Her hair flowed ethereally in the water. She had this annoyed look on her face, that I couldn't help but think of as cute. A goofy grin spread over my face.

“What?” she asked again. “I think they heard you over in the next county, maybe the next state. Next time give me a minute.”

I couldn't stop smiling. Quickly, I reached under my shirt and pulled out my geode. I pulled it off, actually, over my head. I held it out. “Here,” I said.

Sonata tilted her head. “Why are you giving me that?

“Just take it for a moment, okay?”

“Okay.” She cupped her hands, and I dropped the geode into them. It pulsed. “Now what?”

“Now, hold it in one hand-” She did. “-And take my hand.” I held it out.

She hesitated... and then she took it. “Is that a-”

Her words cut off as I felt the geode pulse again, stronger. I concentrated on that feeling, the one I'd felt before. The one we shared. I pushed it somehow, willed it to go through the geode. Sonata's eyes flashed white, and I could imagine what she was seeing- the same things I saw last night. A few seconds later, the light faded. Sonata gasped as she came back to the present. She looked up at me, eyes wide.

“Sunset...”

I just smiled.

“When-”

“Last night,” I admitted. “I had to use the geode to figure it out- I know, lame. But once I woke up, I came straight here. I just had to show you... I had to tell you how I feel. I love you, Sonata.”

“I- I-”

I waited.

“You love me?” I nodded. “For real?” I nodded again. “No joke?”

“Sonata, I mean it. I love you.”

Her face changed- not physically, not this time, but I could see it. All her hopes and dreams come true. “I love you!” she said. “I have, for a long time! I'm so glad you said it first.” She sighed in relief. “Oh- I should probably give this back.” She tossed my geode up, and I caught it. I returned it to it's proper place around my neck. “So now what?” Sonata asked.

I considered. “Well...” I kicked off my boots and socks. And then I jumped in the water.

“Sunny! No swimming!”

I smiled through my dripping wet hair. “So I'm breaking the rules. What else is new?” I frog-paddled over to her, far less elegant in the water, but just as effective. “Besides, I'm not here to swim. I'm here to do this.”

I pulled Sonata closer, treading water as best I could. I looked into her eyes, so innocent, and yet not. I bit my lip for just a second, last-minute jitters. Then I leaned in, and touched my mouth to hers.

The world didn't shake. No stars exploded. The heavens didn't open for angels to sing.

But as we kissed, I felt that same firmness from before. My new foundation. Steel beam sunk into the ground, concrete poured. I was solid. I was home.