• Published 19th Aug 2017
  • 845 Views, 5 Comments

Momodora: Equestrian Adventure - Whiskas



Kaho found herself suddenly alive in an unknown desert. How will she deal with coming back to life in an unknown place with a new body? Will she find any familiar faces here?

  • ...
1
 5
 845

Chapter 2 - "It would have happened sooner or later."

Chapter 2 - It would have happened sooner or later.

"So what is the name of your village, Bold?" Kaho couldn't help but ask. She could have dealt with silence back when she was still wandering the desert alone, but it became unbearable when there was an another living person nearby.

"Our village is called Oasis." Came the response, nearly causing her to trip.

"Wait, really?" She asked in disbelief, suppressing the urge to giggle. Laughing seemed like an inappropriate response.

"Yes. The name is cliché I must admit, but it's how my ancestors called it from the moment it was founded." out the corner of her eye, she saw Bold roll his eyes in annoyance.

"So I presume that the village is literally built around an oasis?"

"Obviously. We could sustain our population without trading but that doesn't stop us from doing so. It increases the town's prosperity and that's always good. And I'll have you know that our peaches are considered a delicasy even by the pickiest nobles in Canterlot." The stallion explained, an overly obvious note of pride in his voice.

"How old is your village? I'd imagine the water would have to run out at some point."

"Around five hundred years, give or take a few decades. The water itself hasn't ran out and won't anytime soon." Bold spoke those words, as if he heard them a few dozen times himself already.

"Are you sure? I imagine that when it happens the results will be catastrophic." Kaho asked, concern filling her every word. Bold smiled widely before responsing.

"You don't need to worry girlie! We have specialists come over by train from Canterlot every three years, to check the level of water in the underground river that fills the oasis. But it does warm my old heart to see that youngsters still care about other ponies." He spoke to her in a warm tone, smiling even wider.

Kaho blushed slightly at the last sentence, but after a few seconds of mulling the information over, a look of confusion appeared on her muzzle.

"What's a train, if you don't mind me asking?"

"You've never heard of a train before girlie? Well, then imagine a few iron wagons on wheels big enough to hold more than ten ponies each, connected together, travelling on a railroad, dragged by an engine that's powered by burning coal. It's a fast way to travel, for sure. You can get from Oasis to Dodge Junction in a few hours, which would take an entire day on hoof with no breaks, and that's assuming you don't get lost in the desert." Bold described, watching as Kaho's face slowly shifted from confusion to amazement.

"That's incredible! Everyone back where I'm from has to travel on foot! Travel in between towns and villages can be as long as a few weeks!" She shouted loudly, unable to contain her excitement.

"Easy there girlie! Trains sure are amazing but they're nothing to lose your head over!" Bold exclaimed loudly.

"Oh, uh sorry," Kaho said, starting to blush yet again.

"You don't need to apologize girlie! Everypony can get a little overexcited every now and then."

"Yeah, that's true I guess." She admitted awkwardly.

The conversation was cut off, as both didn't really know what to say, resulting in them walking in silence. In that time Kaho's mind started to wander as she followed after Bold wordlessly. Should she try to find a way home? Or find a new place to live? Did she even know where to start looking? Like Bold said, the world was still largely unexplored and seeing as she was in unknown desert with an entirely new race, she could be only Gods know where. For all she knew Lun could be on the opposite side of the planet, behind some mountain that's impossible to scale or some other unpassable obstacle. But if so, could she just give up?
Should she?
Perhaps the best option was to explore what's known to these ponies. Maybe if she found some point on a map that she recognized on the maps back home, she could find her way back. But even then… she wasn't human anymore. They wouldn't recognize her. And by the time she would reach Lun, if she found a way, everyone she knew would probably be already dead of old age. She could be dead of old age. After all she didn't know how long a unicorn lives.

"Girlie? I don't like seeing that look on your face." Bold said suddenly, startling Kaho.

"Wha- What do you mean?" Kaho asked nervously.

"You've got that look on your face… and I've gotta say girlie, ponies as young as you shouldn't have looks as if they're planning their own funeral. Unless there is something you're not telling me." Bold explained, giving her a worried look.

"No it's… I'm just… thinking. About my home. You wouldn't happen to know where Lun is?" The priestess asked quietly.

"No I don't girlie. Is that why you're sad? You don't know how to get home from here?" Bold asked, pity in both voice and eyes.

"Bullseye." Kaho muttered bitterly.

"I can't help you with finding your way home, I'm afraid. That is something you'll have to do on your own girlie."

"I know that. I just don't know where to start. I have no idea where I am. I've never seen a map that had a desert on it. I only know what a desert even is because I've heard a merchant use the word once, and was curious enough to ask." The mare's frustration was starting to leak out of her voice.

"Well… what were you doing before you woke up in this desert? I know you said you were a human before but maybe it's related to what you were doing." Bold asked, uncertainty in his voice.

Kaho froze. Her limbs refused to obey her orders to move, as she painfully recalled her death a second time that day. Her eyes screwed themselves shut as she started to feel the horrid feeling of the curse sinking into her flesh, causing vomit to come up to her throat, followed by complete numbness and lack of sensation as if her body was trying to mimic itself dissapearing. She fell over, sand flowing into her open mouth, which was twisted in a silent scream.

"Dear Celestia… girlie?! What's wrong?! Come on answer me!"

Bold was shaking her, trying to get her to respond but it was all in vain. At that point Kaho just laid there, barely aware of anything happening to her. In a short moment that seemed to last an eternity to her barely conscious mind, she managed to blissfully pass out.


"I think she's waking up nurse." A familiar voice exclaimed.

"And you would be right. Please move farther away Bold, I don't know how she's going to react. Be prepared to restrain her, if she starts tossing and turning again. " Another voice, this one feminine.

Those words greeted her as she came back into the land of the conscious. Kaho slowly opened her eyes. She was laying on a bed in a completely white room, full of strange aparature, most of which was connected to her and making strange sounds. Bold was standing in the corner of the room, looking tense. Then she noticed a mare, the probable owner of the second voice. The mare had a gray coat, and an bright blue mane. Her emerald eyes were staring carefully at her, monitoring her every move, as she stood above her with a strange item that had a needle sticking out of it within her hoof. She tried to raise her forelegs to rub her eyes but found she couldn't. An quick investigation brought the answer - she was restrained with straps of unidentifiable material. She asked quietly, gazing at the needle.

"What happened? Where am I?"

Bold started to speak but was interrupted by the mare.

"That's what we'd like to know. As for the second question, you're currently in Oasis hospital, intense care."

Kaho remembered what happened before she passed out. She felt bile climbing her throat again but her limbs didn't freeze this time.

"Oh… I know why I freaked out earlier if that's what you're asking. It's just… I think when you mentioned it, it settled in."

"Oh, I'm sorry girlie. I shouldn't ha-" Bold started, only to get interrupted by the restrained mare.

"Don't. It would have happened sooner or later. It's better I deal with this now, than cover it up." - She took a deep breath. - "I died."

The other two gasped and shared a look, but didn't interrupt the mare laying on the hospital bed.

"I mentioned that I was a high priestess, right? I was sent to travel to a city named Karst. It's Queen… she was was driven insane by something. She attempted to merge the worlds of living and dead, cursing the city and land around it in the process. I cleansed her, but it… required taking the curse from the whole city and surrounding lands into my body. I… couldn't have lived through it. I'm alright now, just kinda… shaken up, about dying." Kaho ended with an another deep breath.

"Dear Celestia… that's something girlie. I'm sorry you had to go through that." Bold's voice was full of pity.

"As am I. Well if anything, you don't seem to be unstable anymore. Just give me a moment and I'll release you. Nurse Clear Cut by the way." The mare introduced herself.

"Kaho Reinol." She said and patiently waited as the nurse released her from the straps.

The process took a while but Kaho waited patiently, glancing at Bold every now and then. He looked like he wanted to speak but wouldn't for the fear of saying something wrong. She understood why, and was thankful for it but didn't speak to express the gratitude.

Finally Clean Cut stepped away from her while gesturing at her to stand up. Kaho did so, managing to roll of the bed and falling on all your hooves. Before she could do anything else though, Clean Cut reached out to her horn and took off a simple metal ring from it.

"That would be all. I'd like you to show up tomorrow morning, so I can check if there's anything else that's wrong but for now your free to leave." The nurse announced giving her a small smile.

"Thank you nurse Clean Cut." Kaho replied, smiling herself.

"Oh, and Kaho? Please carefully consider who you choose to tell about your previous life. Not everypony is as open minded as me or Bold. Most just won't believe you. Just introduce yourself, say you were lost in the desert and had a heat stroke. Also here is your bag. And I believe Bold is holding onto your bow." She handed it to the priestess.

"Thanks again! Goodbye nurse!" Kaho exclaimed before grabbing the bag with a hoof and putting it on her back, leaving the room, with Bold trailing behind her. She found herself in a completely white hallway. There were a few chairs here and there, mostly placed near doors and sometimes occupied by other ponies. Kaho was actively trying to not stare curiously at them, but it was a losing battle. These ponies had a very interesting array of colors for their coats and manes. Was it all natural or did they dye it?

"It's rude to stare, young mare." A voice brought her back to reality. She shook her head before looking around, trying to find the source.

"Over here!" The voice called again, this time from behind her. Kaho turned around only to find Bold standing behind her, a faint expression of amusement on his face. She shot him a questioning look but he only shrugged in response.

"Up above!" The same voice exclaimed, and Kaho suddenly became aware that adults in the hallway were looking at her with pity while children were giggling. She was moving her head around faster and faster, trying to find the source but to no avail.

"Down below!" This time Kaho's head moved so fast, it started to hurt but she was rewarded with the sight of something very small, black and yellow zipping between her legs. She blinked and turned to Bold, her eyes pleading for an answer. He chuckled heartily and spoke.

"Alright, that's enough Honey! Stop toying with the poor mare." There was a giggle in response as bee flew out from beneath her and landed on the floor near the stallion. There was a yellow flash of light, momentarily blinding her. When her eyesight returned she saw that in where the bee previously was, a unicorn mare was standing. She had a snow white coat and a striped yellow, black mane. Her eyes had a distinct golden color and were currently busy looking incredibly amused. She was also very short, as with her horn she only barely reached to Kaho's chin. Bold coughed into his own hoof before speaking.

"Girlie, this is my wife, Honey Bee. Honey Bee this is Kaho Reinol who I've found lost in the desert and helped."

"Hello miss Honey." Kaho said automatically, trying to wrap her head around a bee suddenly becoming a full grown, if short mare.

"Please, if you insist on calling me miss, call me miss Bee. I like to reserve Honey for my husband." She said, while getting up on her hind hooves to give said husband a kiss on the cheek.

"Sure." Kaho was still rather caught up and didn't notice the marriage starting a conversation of their own.

"So what happened dear? It's not every day that I hear about you rushing into the town, with an unconcious mare on your back. Did you take up being a knight in shining armor when I wasn't looking? Can I sign up for a rescue one day?" She asked teasingly.

Bold to his credit only rolled his eyes at the teasing.

"I'd rather we speak in home about the first one. It's a rather... private matter for Kaho. And... who knows? Maybe I'll rescue you one of these days. We'll see if you deserve it." He grinned when she pouted at him.

"How did you do that?" The priestess finally spoke up, directing her question at Honey Bee.

"The transformation? It's a spell that got me my cutie mark." Bee responded casually, not even looking at the priestess.

"You don't exactly have a place to sleep do you Kaho? Come with us to our home, we can give you the spare bedroom until you know what to do. " Bold proposed, causing Honey to look at him curiously.

"Are you sure Bold? She looks like she could afford to stay at the hotel." She asked him, still maintaining her position.

"Positive. And you'd want to hear what she has to say." The stallion's response caused Honey to direct her curious look at Kaho. She involunturarly shivered under the mare's gaze, as while it wasn't malicious, she felt like her soul was being stared down.

"Alright then, let's go! I can't wait to hear it!" The small mare exclaimed joyfully, dropping down on all four hooves before heading for the exit, bouncing up and down happily.

"Is she always like this?" Kaho asked, staring at the small pony bouncing down the corridor, a mark of a bee with a rather big stinger adorning her flanks.

"That, she is girlie. And that's exactly why I feel in love with her." Bold answered, a warm smile appearing on his face again before they started to follow her.

Author's Note:

Took some time didn't I? It's good that I have an app for writing on my phone because I could never sit down and type out two thousand words in a single sitting. Also kinda late but I'm warning that there will be a lot of headcanon in this fic, though nearly all of it will be focused on the Momodora part, as the series is rather vague about things that aren't the main plotline. Hope you enjoyed the new chapter!
- Whiskas