• Published 17th Jul 2012
  • 2,341 Views, 92 Comments

Flame of the Fateless - Cryptic Keyboard



Life is short but not always a single occurrence, as a young Irish boy discovers through a cruel twist of fate. He is given another chance in another place, a place far worse than he originally believed.

  • ...
6
 92
 2,341

Chapter 6

Chapter 6
Dogs

The journey towards Asura's task gave me time to think.
This was now my life. It had finally sunk in, I sure as fuck weren't in Ireland anymore.
By whatever bizarre twist of fate brought me to decide to come here it was now clear that I wasn't likely to leave. So it was time to settle in. A land of society run by equine, where magic flowed in rivers, where myth and legend became fact and reality. This messed up world of Equestria was my home now.
Whether I liked it or not.

My sprite guide continued to bob and weave its way merrily through the air, no a care in its tiny fairy brain. The path we had taken looked disused and fairly old. The occasional chirrup of a passing bird would be the only respite from the silence that clawed its way around my eardrums. Such unnatural quiet made me nervous.
I started to think there was a reason for this path losing popularity.

My claws scuffed against something, I bent down to sniff it as it interested me. I nosed the small white rock out of the mud. Only to find it was a skull that vaguely resembled a dog of some sort. Any other day of the week and I would have flipped out. But right now I just didn't care. Something had died, oh well. Asura looped around a small rock and called.

"Hey doggy, could you get over here hmm?" I trotted over silently, still not wanting to discover whatever had caused the disuse of this perfectly good path.

"What is it fairy?" I asked calmly.

"Take a look for yourself hmm."

I did.
On the other side of the rock was a small encampment built into a miniature crater. What populated this camp however; was what I questioned.
They were not the same species I had seen earlier - save for one - at the garden. They closely resembled dogs but in the same respect they were vastly different. For each of them carried a weapon and walked on two feet. Most of them seemed to carry a crudely made club or sword, some opted to keep their claws. A few more carried what looked like blow dart tubes, I only came to this assumption when I saw the bandoleers packed with a wide range of darts strung across those who carried the tubes. There was one who piqued my curiosity in particular.
He was in no way the biggest of the group but he carried the largest weapon. It looked like a strange mishmash of metal and leather that had been shaped into a shape that closely resembled a bell. The entire thing was being lovingly stroked by its holder
As to what the purpose of such a device was it was yet to be seen. Not like I was in a rush to be on the business end of it anyway.

Asura glided once more into my view. "All you need to be concerned with is getting that little thing out safe and sound, hmm."
That little thing happened to be a pink (I shit you not) pony. Better yet it had WINGS! Fucking WINGS!

"That's a Pegasus kid, your are going to need to get acquainted with the many races in this land, hmm."

"How many different things are out there?" I questioned. "And how did you know I wanted to know what that thing was?"

"The look of stupidity kinda gave it away, hmm."

"Fuck you fairy."
Asura spun around a little more. "Just do your job okay? Get her out of the camp, alive and well. Can you do that hmm?"
I began to climb over the rock that separated me from the camp. Asura flew in my face once more.

"One last tip boy, watch out for the darts. They could be poisonous or they could be a sedative round, hmm. You never know with these tricky bastards, hmm."
I shook my head one last time, then I descended into a camp filled with anthropomorphic dogs.

It would seem that despite their numbers they were in no way running an organised group. I managed to slip into the heart of the camp without a single hiccup. No doubt this was just temporary luck on my part but I wasn't complaining.
The captive pony was less than a metre away. Her muzzle bound by rope and her hooves tied with wires. These dogs really weren't into keeping their prey comfortable were they? Between me and her (don't ask how I now know its a girl pony) stood one of the club-wielding dogs. His back was to me, it would be all to simple to attack it without it ever knowing I was here. Sadly, mauling doesn't tend to be the quietest of approaches to a situation. I needed a distraction.
It came in the most comical form.
Not two feet away from the sentry was another; relieving itself in a nearby bush. Well lets just take that situation and make it hostile.

Using a small amount of levitation magic I gripped the dog's member, mid-flow, and spun the creature around to face his fellow. The result was something that belongs on comedy television. The unlucky guard I had been aiming for had to watch in horror as he soaked his companion with urine. The one being soaked of course had no idea that this was my doing and proceeded to leap on the offending dog. Their fight tumbled into another portion of the camp, giving me an opening to approach the pony.
It could have gone smoother to say the least.
As soon as I crept from the shadows she saw me, and promptly freaked the fuck out. I tried waving my paws to calm her, which was the worst possible thing to do as it looked like I was preparing to attack.

"Shut up girl!" I hissed into her mind.
She said something inaudible behind her gag.

"I said shut up! Listen to me, I'm gonna undo these bonds and you are going to get out of here. Don't ask how I'm talking without moving my mouth; just listen. Got it?"
She nodded.
I chewed through the bonds with ease and nudged the poor pony to her feet.

"Now get out of here, I'll keep them occupied." I said with false hope. The pony cantered away from the camp, a strange glint in her eye. Was that a look of thanks? But the commotion was settling; I needed to keep the dogs away from the escaping pony. By any means necessary.

I did the one thing I had never tested as a wolf. I raised my head to the sky, which has become darker as night drew near, and howled. The sudden rush of movement towards me was staggering. What looked like the entire camp of dogs now stood before me. They didn't even look phased. Some even stared at me with reverence. I liked this feeling of power they were giving me.

That's when the first dart narrowly missed my head.