• Published 2nd Aug 2017
  • 2,224 Views, 71 Comments

Pinkie's greatest Challenge. - Lethrael



Pinkie Pie is a suppose to be caring mare. But one particular filly needs more, than partys or smiles. She needs a family. So she has to step in and takes good care of Scootaloo.

  • ...
4
 71
 2,224

Don't hurry Pinkie.

Pinkie sat on her bed and read. What sounded like any normal description, was a real understatement.
First and foremost she didn't just sit there, but changed through every position possible from sitting, standing, bouncing and lying like she would feel miserable by just reading still.
It was partly the case. It was way too boring to sit and read a huge book like that. But she had to, Twilight had suggested it for her next step at least.
Again Pinkie's thoughts drifted away from the small lines and the mare sighed bugged. It was just four pages.
She just could not read along, as her memory returned to the talk with Twilight.


“So you mean, I can't just talk with Caring about it?
Really?”
Twilight sighed and shook the head. She waved over the mane with a bugged expression, thumped a hoof on the ground and forced a smile back on her face. Pinkie winched a little bit, but Twilight's voice sounded friendlier, as she had expected.
“Listen, Pinkie.
I think you have managed to take a good first step.
But...”
The unicorn stopped and cleared her throat. Pinkie dropped her head a little bit and drew circles on the floor.
Twilight jumped closer quickly and hugged her. She tried to sound encouraging and Pinkie answered with a small smile.
“Don't worry, Pinkie.
You just have to be patient a little bit more.”
Twilight turned her head away and jumped away from Pinkie. She seemed to look out on the shelves full of books and she mumbled a few words.
Pinkie couldn't understand what she actually talked about and smiled. Twilight found finally, what she was looking for and cheered happily.
“Aha, there it is.”
She levitated a book from the highest shelf, turned to Pinkie and grinned. Twilight let the book hover in front of Pinkie to let her read the title.
It sounded quite dull: Foals and Mothers, a guidebook for mares.
“I would suggest this book to read...”

Somepony knocked on the door and Twilight winced surprised. She started to scurry on the ground and even blushed a little bit.
“That has to be Rarity.
We...I...I'm sorry, but we have made an appointment and wanted to...”
Pinkie grabbed the book and shelved it in her mane quickly. She nodded, hugged Twilight and bounced to the door. She pushed the door open and smiled to the white unicorn outside.
Pinkie jumped out and hugged Rarity too, before Twilight was even able to answer. The other unicorn squeaked surprised and jumped away.
Pinkie let her go and bounced away. She claimed at the same time.
“Never mind, Twilight.
I understand that.
Thanks...”
Pinkie glanced over the shoulder and smiled to both of her friends.
The unicorns looked after her and Rarity opened her mouth very confused, but Pinkie had to turn away again, so she could see what was directly in front of her and didn't bounce into somepony.


Pinkie sighed and shook her head. She had to pay attention and to read the book. It was very important. She tried to fight down a yawn and looked to the small lines again. She read a few of them, but not one single word stayed in her mind, after reading and she sighed again.
Pinkie jumped back onto her hooves, scurried on the ground, sprawled and rolled her eyes.
“Come on, Pinkamena.
Stay focused.
Twilight had said...”
Hooves climbed up the stairs and Pinkie bounced happily away from the book. She looked down the stairs and cocked her head curious.
Caring stayed halfway upstairs, smiled to her from down there and climbed the last few steps quickly up.
Pinkie grinned hesitantly and looked around in the room. It was a mess, the pillows and the blankets laid on the floor and even the box with Scootaloo's doll just laid beside her bed. Pinkie's smile stayed on her face, but she had to make an effort to let it stay and stroke her mane nervously.
“I...I wanted to clean up and...”

Caring smiled for real as an answer, as Pinkie started to put away the blankets and tried to push the box under the bed at the same time.
The elder mare cocked her head a little bit and stepped closer to Pinkie finally. She hugged her gently and whispered.
“Don't worry, Pinkie.
I just wanted to speak with you for a sec.
You, you know...”
She sounded a little bit insecure and the mare flinched away a little bit guarded. She looked down to the pillows and sighed.
Pinkie stepped closer and took one of the pillows in her mouth to lay it back on the bed. As she saw the expression on Caring's face she let it slip, cocked her head confused and licked her lips.
Caring continued, before Pinkie was able to ask her out. The older mare cleared her throat and seemed to be whispering to herself for a while.
She took a deep breath finally and laid both hooves on Pinkie's shoulders.
“I have to talk with you about the sleepover!”

The mare sounded really serious and Pinkie flinched a step away. She tried to open her mouth, but Caring just shook her head and followed her.
She petted her shoulders friendly and continued.
“No, please don't worry.
I...just couldn't make Scootaloo tell me anything, you know?
She even had started to clean up her room.”
Pinkie started to grin again, but Caring sighed and laid down aside the party pony. She drew circles on the ground and shook her head.
“But she was so confused as she did.
She just shoved it from one place to another and hadn't noticed in the slightest, that I was standing in the doorstep.
She...she got frightened for real, as I tried to speak with her and turned away.”
The mare sounded strangely musing and even somehow gloomy.
Pinkie stopped her right now and bounced closely to her. She hugged the mare and stammered an apology.
“I...I didn't mean to, Caring.
I had asked her, if I should help her, but...”
Caring nodded slowly and sighed again. She raised her head, forced a smile back on her face and continued.
“I know.
So, can you tell me, what happened during the sleepover?
It...it seemed to affect Scootaloo, but I don't know for good or for worse.”
Caring fought down a sob right now and bit her lips. Pinkie cocked her head more, looked even confuser to her and licked her lips.
First she wanted to tell her from her promise, but something in Caring's expression changed her mind mid sentence and convinced her, that she should tell her everything.
So she nestled closer to her and started to tell her from the start.


Caring listened calm and composed, but Pinkie's own emotions ran wild as she relived every little moment.
She giggled from time to time, or had to fight down tears the other time and sighed the last sentences finally.
“She was so thankful, and I thought she would love to live with me, Caring.
And I want to live together with her really, really, really really badly.”
Pinkie looked suppliant to Caring, but the mare avoided her glance and sighed.
Her tail waved nervously from one side to the other and her hooves drew lines on the ground.
“I'm afraid that will have to wait, Pinkie.”
The pink mare took a deep breath very surprised and her ears went flat against her head.
She opened the mouth, but Caring trembled and thumped one hoof on the ground once.

“Scootaloo would do everything to get adopted, Pinkie.
She wants it as fast as possible, because she thinks, that she would be better off with you.”
Pinkie bounced back onto her hooves, bit her lips and started to pace around. She began to speak mid way and got faster and faster.
“But it's right, Caring.
We, we do like each other and we have started to trust us.
She had told me from her Mummy and...”
Caring bounced on her own hooves and stopped Pinkie. She looked into her eyes and a sad expression wandered over her face.
“She had done it too quick, Pinkie.
Do you uNderstand?”
Pinkie shivered and jumped away from Caring's side. She opened her mouth and continued her pacing around.
Caring's low voice awoke doubts in her mind and she sighed finally. Pinkie shut her mouth close and sobbed.
“But she wants to trust me, Caring.”
The mare caught her with two gentle hooves, pressed Pinkie's head against her shoulder and hugged the sobbing mare finally.
“You two are wanting this so badly, that you rushed it both, Pinkie.
Scootaloo had started to pack her bags.
She wanted to come here right now, but she can't.”
Caring took a deep breath and petted Pinkie's shivering head. The party pony raised her head and tried to answer, but Caring laid a hoof on her mouth, shook the head and whispered aloft.
“I had said her, that she can't live with you right now, you know?
That it would be way too quick.
She begged and implored me, before she got angry and yelled at me.
She isn't ready, Pinkie.”
Caring sniffed once and sighed gently. She pushed the other sobbing mare away, looked directly into her eyes and petted her cheek.

“And you aren't ready, either.
But I think it will get better, Pinkie.”
Pinkie opened her mouth to dissent the first sentence, but closed it again, as she heard the second one and breathed out very relived.
“But it should be clear for you, that you're needing more then a sole sleepover and a house.
Well I can help you with that at least.”
Caring sounded so friendly, that Pinkie rubbed her eyes and stared at her surprised. She bounced back onto her hooves and smiled widely.
“You...you have a home for us?”
Caring sighed and shook her head. Pinkie cocked her head confused and the grin on her face faded away quickly.
“Well, no, but I think I know how you can have one.
Your friends...”
Pinkie didn't hear the rest of the sentence, but just could hit her face with one hoof.
“They can help me build a house, right.
I haven't thought about that.”
Caring took a deep breath and forced a smile back on her face. She laid a hoof around Pinkie and whispered.
“And this is something you have to get better with too, Pinkie.
If you want to adopt Scootaloo you have to try...”
Pinkie just nodded, smiled and switched out of the hug. She bounced around and her smile widened.

The young mare turned to the staircase and spoke up.
“I will try, really, Caring.
But I have to talk with Applejack and the others right now.
Oh and start to build the house.”
Pinkie started to hum a tone and her hooves thumbed the beat on the way to the stairs.
“Pinkie, wait!
I have to tell you something else.”
Pinkie braked with a creak, turned the head to the other mare and her smile got even wider.
“Oh yes, thanks for the good idea, Car...”
The mare stopped her with a loud yell and a thumping hoof.
“Pinkie!
One moment!”
Pinkie fell silent and cocked her head again. She listened with a puzzled expression.

“We think you're ready to pick up Scootaloo from school every day and walk her to the orphanage.
You will help her with her homework and make her lunch every other day.
I will look after you and see, how you are able to help her and set her straight.”
Pinkie cocked her head even more and drew lines on the ground. She whispered an answer and even blushed.
“But...but I don't know, if I can help her, Caring.
What, what should I do, when she asked me something and I didn't know the answer?”
The other mare smiled gently and took a deep breath. She stepped closer and nuzzled Pinkie's cheek encouraging.
“You're not alone. I have asked Miss Cheerilee to join us.
But she will only intervene, when it's necessary and you're getting off track.”
Pinkie sighed and licked her lips. She mumbled a few sentences and blushed even more.
“But I want to help her on my own.
And I don't know, what her lessons are right now, Caring.
Maybe, well...”
Caring pushed Pinkie slowly downstairs and smiled even gentler.
“I think it would be time to visit Cheerilee and ask her about it, Pinkie.
You know from the letter, that Scootaloo has problems in school.
And that's something a mother would help her deal with.
So I want to see, if you're able to motivate an unwilling filly, Pinkie.”
Pinkie nodded and let out a long sigh. She shook her head, put on a very determined expression and puffed out her chest.
“I got this, Caring.
I promise!”
Pinkie whizzed away and let a nervously smiling mare back on the stairs. Caring was able to mumble a sentence, before Pinkie was out of earshot and blustered ahead.
“I hope so, Pinkie.
I really do!”


Pinkie whooshed out of the door and followed two paths at once. First halfway out of the village and then back into it.
She talked to herself and cocked her head time and again.
“Where should I go first?
Should I visit Cheerilee first, or...”
She bumped into two other ponies in the middle of her sentence and got enlaced into a tangle of hooves and bodies.
Pinkie tried to untangle the affair, but failed and two other strong hooves had to pull her back onto hers finally.
“Who was that for, sugarcube?
Why are ya in such a hurry?”
Applejack cleared her throat and pulled another yellow pony back onto the hooves.
Pinkie shook away the stars and saw, who she had knocked to the ground. Apple Bloom!
Applejack petted the filly's head carefully and glanced with a firm expression to Pinkie.
The filly looked confused, like she saw stars and tried to stop stumbling around.
Applejack pushed her closer and the small filly leaned against her legs to get it all together. Applejack almost glared at Pinkie.
“What's gotten into you?
Has something happen?”
Pinkie shook her head quickly, hugged Applejack tightly and cried:
“Well Applejack, good to meet you.
Or good to bump into each other, right?”
She snickered and let loose. Pinkie looked to Apple Bloom, who stared back confused first, but her expression changed into a sour one.
“I'm sorry, Apple Bloom, I didn't mean to.
But it was very important, you know and...do you think an apology muffin would make it up for you?”

Pinkie drew a muffin out of her mane and Apple Bloom nodded quickly. She even smiled, as Pinkie hoofed her the muffin.
Apple Bloom got in a better mood, after one or two bites and smacked happily.
“Will ya tell me, what this is all about, Pinkie?”
Applejack sounded a little bit worried and Pinkie took a deep breath. She smiled widely and answered.
“Could you help me building a house?
Well not for me alone...”
Pinkie glanced to Apple Bloom and bit her lips, before she could spoil the beans.
Both Apples shared a confused glance and Applejack nodded hesitantly.
“Well of course, Pinkie.
But why are ya needing a house?”
Pinkie smiled widely and turned her head away.
“I can't tell you right now, but you will find out.
Well eventually.
I promise you...”
Pinkie bounced happily along the way and hummed another tone. But she turned around to the confused frozen Apples.
“Oh and I have to ask the others too.
We can do this together.
Please come tomorrow to my
Yay-we-are-planing-a-house-and-roofing-breakfast.”
Pinkie whooshed away, after she had uttered her invitation and the Apples looked deeply confused after her dusty trail.

Author's Note:

I hope you like this slow pacing.
I had thought, that Pinkie should get a reminder, that she hd to take a long way.
So Caring reminded her.
Feel free to comment, if you want to.