• Published 28th Jul 2017
  • 1,960 Views, 57 Comments

A Song of Transformation - Honey Lavender



A routine flight takes a bizarre twist as a stray portal transports student pilot Steve Axios and his plane to Equestria. To return home, he must learn something about himself that will change his life forever...

  • ...
8
 57
 1,960

Revelations

As I sit at the table in Twilight’s Library, I absentmindedly replay the tape. Again.

“Confirmed, at speed and altitude as requested. Initiate strikes on my mark; 2, 1, mark!” Cracks of thunder can be heard on the tape. “Negative, that’s a negative impa- correction. Something’s happening!”

The cue had been my activating my strobes; hardly original, but it did the job. At that point, the pegasi who had volunteered had given the storm clouds a hard buck, dissipating a bolt of lightning from each individual cloud. The first one that had initially scared me, and then the three that had occurred before the blinding light on the way in. No such light had developed this time. However, the plane had still jolted- from the sore spot on my head, it seems that in both instances where I had passed out momentarily, it had been following my crown being jolted into the forward overhead panel, not from some kind of external magic. I’m about 99% sure that I’ve suffered 2 concussions in the last week alone, now that I’ve come to that revelation.

The background is filled with a pulsating tone, perfectly bisected by the overspeed warning.

“Dammit… … can’t… breathe…” A good chunk is indistinguishable while I had applied my mask.

The master cautionary system is tripped whenever one of the several amber lights are illuminated on any number of the panels. In the case of my transportation to Equestria, and subsequently our attempt to send me back home, my cabin pressurization had gone through the floor; hence the need for Oxygen. When I had passed out, I had also inadvertently pushed the yoke forward, pitching my nose down. This had brought my airspeed up over Mach 0.81, triggering the overspeed warning. As you can imagine, at that speed an aircraft of such size wants to fight you- hard.

I stare straight ahead, the tape continuing to play out the failed attempt to reopen that damn portal. In the makeshift tower, my second radio is serving as a point of communications between my cockpit and the ponies on the ground.

“Master caution and overspeed warnings registered.” In the background, the plane starts alerting me to my imminent crash conditions. “TCAS, I have control. Levelling off, returning to base…” I pause, receiving an inquiry from the makeshift tower. “Negative, Soarin. That’s a negative attempt, and I’m on reserve fuel now. Spitfire! Clear the runway; I’m coming in hot!”

After a short pause, during which the only sound is my labored masked breathing, and the combined roar of my engines and the A/C packs, I dejectedly make one last statement:

“Sorry, ponies… we failed this one.”

The tape ends, and I press rewind again. How did I fail? How did we fail? These kind ponies were supposed to rid of me right now, but instead I was sitting at Twilight’s table. Nursing a bottle of juice from the Apple Family’s farm. This wasn’t how it was supposed to be...

The tape hits the beginning with an audible click. I press play. Again.

I’d barely finished returning my engines to idle after using full reverse to stop without overrunning the half-mile runway, when the engines had both sputtered and died, the last of the precious Jet-A being gulped into one final combustion cycle. Just like that, my ride home was dead as a doornail. The tape plays. I stare straight ahead.

Everypony had been so shocked at the failure. Princess Celestia had immediately ordered that the crowds which had gathered be dispersed, just in case I couldn’t pull off a second emergency landing in a week. Probably for the better; there’s nothing spectacular about an airliner exploding into a massive fireball and million pieces, killing all on board instantly. I wouldn’t want my subjects to witness such a horror, either.

The entirety of the Wonderbolts, and all of their reserve ponies had started trailing me, steering clear of my jetwash; if I ran out of fuel when I was too low for a landing on the airstrip, they had orders to push my plane in an attempt to keep air moving over the wings to generate lift; this was in conjunction with a small team of the best levitators from Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns, who would work together to reduce to the weight of my aircraft just enough to make the job easier for the pegasi, and also closer to the realm of possible.

All of these ponies who barely know me, they’re willing to put everything on the line to help me get home safely. They really put mankind to shame, seeing as such an occurrence has never happened in over 3000 years of recorded history… and I had failed them. I was still a burden, and still here on their time.

The princesses, the Wonderbolts, Twilight and her friends were all discussing what to do next. Of course we hadn’t come up with a backup plan; we were so sure that this one would work.

“You know, listening to your failure over and over won’t undo the results…” a familiarly obnoxious voice says, from behind me. Just my luck, the only other individual that doesn’t seem to either be busy or at the meeting…

“I don’t particularly care, Discord. That jet was my ride home, and it was the ticket to my future. If it’s stuck here, then that’s it. Game over. Unless, of course, you’re deciding to be helpful for once…” I glance at the ancient draconequus, hoping that for once he’s decided to go against his nature. Too much to hope for, as usual. He’s holding my copy of Fallout: Equestria that I’d packed in my pilot’s bag for the layover between my arrival at my destination airport, and my return trip to Portland.

“Honestly, I helped myself to a readthrough. Great story, really. Although, I was kinda disappointed that I didn’t show up in it. Why would that be?” he muses, inspecting the back cover thoroughly.

“Maybe because this was written at a point in time when you were still encased in stone, and it ACTUALLY happens to be a work of fiction?” I’m not in the mood for games… “What do you want, Discord?” Funny how I still cling to the idea that just because something is fiction, doesn’t mean it can’t be any degree of real; especially given my current circumstances…

POP! Discord is standing in front of me, with his snout in my face and my book in his talon. “I want you to figure it out for yourself. You’ll know the solution when you see it; what you do with that knowledge is up to you.” POP! And just like that, I was alone in the room once again, with my book in my lap.


I continue listening to the tape, making note of every last detail. If I can just figure out where we went wrong, then maybe… just, maybe…

The door creaks open, ever so slowly. Hoofsteps come closer to my seat, approaching from behind. I turn around, expecting to see Twilight, but I’m taken aback when I’m instead greeted by Princess Luna. Like her sister, she too wears shoes on each hoof, as well as a decorative yoke and a crown, although her crown and yoke are black as the midnight sky while her shoes are closer to a bluish-pewter-colored silver. Her mane also shows no sign of a pattern in the way that it waves, although it almost seems more aethereal in nature…

“Oh.” I dip my head in Luna’s direction. “Hello, Princess Luna. How can I help you this evening?” I cringe internally at how formal I sound; Luna’s expression mirrors my own emotions.

“You didn’t tell us everything about your dreams, did you?” Luna asks me, softly yet authoritatively. “Often, it can be difficult to mention that which makes the least sense…” she coaxes softly.

I can say nothing; only hang my head in shame. There is nothing I can say that Luna does not already know. But just to confirm my suspicions, I work up the courage to ask her a simple question:

“The dream realm- is that how you know?” I look up, and instead of anger I find an expression of… acceptance being returned to me. Understanding. Almost one of a parental sort of love, the sort that kind and benevolent rulers have for their subjects. This realization makes me feel… uneasy. But also somewhat relaxed.

“Dreams can sometimes be the heart’s way of revealing what it desires; I trust you can figure out if this is the case for yourself.” Luna’s expression is unreadable… “Until then, you need to consider your options. My sister and her counsel will soon be adjourning, and they will not be doing so without a choice for you to make.” Consider my options? Make a choice? What does that even- oh, wait. Bigger question.

“Luna…” The midnight-blue alicorn stops, waiting to hear my question. “... does she know?” I don’t need to explain; Luna knows exactly what I’m asking about. I’ve been here for long enough, that I can guarantee she’s visited my dreams at least once to check up on me while I’m in her domain.

“My sister is not a fool; she knows something is amiss, but I have not told her what it is. However, I would advise assuming that she knows at all times…” with this, Luna leaves the room and closes the door behind her. I am once again alone in Twilight’s library, except I am now pondering Luna’s cryptic statements rather than reliving my failed attempt to return home.

She had known all along that I’d been hiding the most crucial detail of my dreams, and this only raises more questions than it answers. But in the meantime, it IS the night; I should get some kind of sleep if nothing else…


The room full of important ponies stare at me, speechless. True to Luna’s advice, I had shared the missing detail of my recurring dreams: in such dreams, I had been a pegasus pony. Luna had so kindly helped me with the details beyond the color of my coat before I had gone into the room to spill all. And now, it would be possible to hear a pin drop; hell, even Pinkie Pie was speechless. Tough crowd, I guess.

“Well,” Celestia finally speaks up, breaking the silence. “This is most certainly unexpected.” The rest of the ponies murmur in agreement. “Why tell us this now?” I look at Luna, who simply nods.

“Because somepony told me that often it can be difficult to mention something that makes the least sense, and that dreams can be the heart’s way of revealing its deepest desires,” I admit sheepishly, adding “and while piloting planes is good and all in the human world, it’s also not real flight. You don’t feel physical strain of the same maneuvers that you’re trained to put a machine through, and you certainly don’t feel the wind on your face… or in your mane.”

I look down as I add that last part, recognizing the form that I’ve been in for all my recurring flying dreams. “I’m sure you can understand how awkward it would be to suddenly crash into a world that not an hour before you thought was fictional, and then tell the ruler of said world, ‘oh, by the way, I keep having dreams where I’m one of y’all’...” As I look up, Celestia’s face betrays a certain… understanding of my claims. Almost as if she had already put together the same pieces that I had needed most of a day and a night to figure out. Unfortunately, if there’s anything she can do about it, her lips are sealed.

“And what of your return home?” Celestia imposes. “Have you thought of your next move?” I shift uneasily in her unrelenting gaze. And I get the feeling she already knows what I’m about to say, which is unsettling to say the least.

“Honestly? I don’t know. I’m sure there’s some other avenue I haven’t looked into, but I’m not comfortable attempting another return to Earth until we’re absolutely certain that we have a working plan.” Celestia doesn’t respond, but she appears to be satisfied with my reasoning. Somepony else, however, does speak up.

“Well, if he wants to fly so much,” I realize with a start that it’s Rainbow Dash who’s speaking up. What is she up to? “Then I say that we let him!” I stare blankly at the cyan pegasus. Her statement makes no sense to me; but the others seem to be several steps ahead of me already.

“Hold up, sugar cube!” I recognize Applejack’s drawl, voicing a country-ism laced parallel to the thoughts going through my head. “Are you suggesting that Celestia turn him into a pony?!” Wait… what? Turn me into a…

A thousand questions race through my head, each with implications larger than life itself. If it was possible to turn a human into a pegasus, what else was possible in this world that I hadn’t considered? Why would shapeshifting me, because that’s exactly what that would be, be beneficial to the efforts to get me back where I belong? And, more importantly, how? Apparently, I had made a sound something along the lines of “huh?” as all this happened, because suddenly everypony is laughing hysterically.

“There are spells that can change the form of a living being, although they are dangerous.” Celestia begins to explain, slowing down when I give her a blank stare. “I think that Rainbow Dash, here, would like one of these spells to give you the shape of the pony from your dreams- at least temporarily.” She added, as a sudden look of alarm crosses my face.

“Of course that’s what I mean! It would be totally just AWESOME!” Rainbow Dash exclaims, even as I fall back in the chair that’s been provided for me. This is too much for me to process all at once. But either Rainbow doesn’t notice, or doesn’t care as she continues “And ALL my best ideas come when flying, or when napping on a soft cloud, or…” her voice is suddenly muffled, Applejack having stuffed a golden delicious in her mouth. All around me, the ponies are wearing apologetic expressions. All except Rainbow, who is chewing frantically while shooting a sour look at Applejack for having ruined her monologue. I look at Luna, who just shakes her head.

“I had no clue that anypony would bring that up; in fact, that wasn’t even in the original conversation.” Luna seems genuinely pissed, and she shoots a look at Celestia. I get the feeling that this wouldn’t be the first time Luna fell victim to her sister attempting to troll her. Celestia is having no part of it, though.

“I wasn’t expecting that either, Luna. Don’t act like this was some kind of prank; if it was, I’m as much a victim as you are.” The room has broken into everypony quietly discussing potential outcomes of this new possibility.

“Ahem…” I clear my throat, and the room quiets down. “I don’t think that’s a decision I can make without some serious thought; it can have some serious consequences.” Celestia eyes me appraisingly. I swallow nervously, then add “Can I have a couple days to think about it?”


This is insanity. Become a pegasus pony?! Tempting, but even for just a few days fear inhibits action in my mind. And I did at least want to experience true flight, if only to remember it as more than a dream…

I’ve wandered into the Everfree Forest, the survival kit slung over one shoulder and across my chest. There’s someone I need to seek out, at Twilight’s advice: Zecora. If there was any kind of magic that could send me home, Twilight didn’t have it anywhere in her library. Similarly, the Canterlot Royal Archives were mysteriously fruitless. That left us to seek out help from the wise zebra mare, which I can’t help but wonder why this option wasn’t earlier on the list.

Something I’ve noticed is that my compass is useless in Equestria; they don’t have the same magnetic poles as we do on Earth, if any at all. The needle was everywhere… so the compass had earned a permanent place in my pack. Twilight’s map was also useless to me, as it was written in a dialect that made no sense whatsoever.

However, even without any means of navigation, I slowly make my way to Zecora’s hut. Out of sheer luck. Too bad I can’t get any of that when I’m trying to relieve these ponies of the burden of my presence, I think to myself. Then this wouldn’t even be a problem…

Some hours later, I (finally) arrive at the humble abode in the middle of the Everfree. More than half my supplies are gone, and I blame that detour which had accidentally led me to the Castle of the Two Sisters. While I’m impressed that I managed to find such a landmark without the help of anypony, I’m also rather frustrated that there was no time to have a look around; back on Earth, exploring abandoned buildings with historical value was a favorite pastime. Oh well… if I managed to screw up getting home too badly, then there’ll be plenty of time for that.

I steel my nerves, and raise a hand to knock on the door- only to have it open before I can strike it lightly with my fist. I’m met with the wide, knowing, turquoise eyes of a seemingly unsurprised Zecora. And before I can even register the fact that I had been pre-empted by someone who was shockingly unsurprised to see a human at her door, the zebra mare addresses me.

“To my house, I welcome thee. Whatever is it that brings you to me?” I stare blankly. I’d been expecting Zecora to rhyme her every sentence; doesn't change the fact that it's surprising to hear in person, though. Zecora waits a moment for my response, then chuckles softly, motioning for me to enter.

True to trend, everything is how I imagined it. Shelves lined with potion ingredients, stored in colorful containers of hues that I hadn’t even thought possible before. Decorative masks of all shapes and sizes keep watch over every last corner of the small hut, wearing expressions that vary from that of pure joy, to one of rage that was frightening to even think about. Yet the cauldron in the center of the room seemed to be an exception; instead of bubbling with a slime green colored liquid, today it seems to be a very blue-heavy shade of purple, almost as if someone had taken the CMYK filter in Photoshop, maxed cyan and boosted magenta almost as high, and then repeatedly applied a color boost to that single object. The absurdity of my comparison is just too much; I begin to laugh. Zecora looks at me, bemused at my reaction. “Ah, something amuses you. Would it happen to be about my brew?” I wipe a few tears from my eyes, slowly working my way towards being able to breathe again. My sides hurt from laughing so hard…

“I’m sorry… just that shade of purple, and a reference that would require hours of explaining something from Earth that would only begin to explain an inside joke.” I look at Zecora, my mind returning to her unsurprised reaction to my arrival. A question forms in my mind, and I cannot avoid asking it for long. “Say, when you opened your door to find me about to knock, you didn’t seem shocked at finding a human. Why was that?” The zebra mare must’ve realized that I would have some form of that question, and not for the first time I wonder if she has her rhymes planned in advance as she replies.

“One does not miss such a loud noise,” she muses, and I realize with a wince that she’s referring to my initial landing. “But I’ve also heard Apple Bloom’s joys.” Oh, right. I’d forgotten that some of the CMC had made a regular habit of visiting here. If anything, Zecora would likely know more about me than I know about Equestria; something that’s actually not hard to accomplish, given that my knowledge of this magical land I’m trapped in is next to nil. “So once again I must ask: how can I help you with your task?”

Out of necessity, this explanation is a long one. There are parts of the story that Twilight had asked the CMC to refrain from spreading, although she had not placed the same restriction on me for some reason. And these parts were essential for Zecora to understand what Twilight, her friends and I were asking: if Zecora has a spell that we can use to return myself and my scrap-heap plane to the world we belong in, then any kind of help is appreciated. Of course, there’s also my curiosity regarding Rainbow’s fanatical idea to turn me into a pony for all of a few days, and I figure that given some of the stuff Zecora has helped the Twilight and her friends out with, then she might be the best option to address my concerns with.

As I describe the attempt at Wonderbolts HQ to reopen whatever portal had brought me here in the first place, Zecora’s eyes widen. “Twice you’ve had the same result; yet you keep trying like a stubborn colt.” I look down, unsurprised by her reaction to the parallels between my two landings. I had expected as much. But then she continues, “Yet you are right to do as compelled, for such determination will serve you well.” I blush, and continue recalling the events leading up to my visit to the zebra mare’s hut. As I address my concerns about Rainbow Dash’s plan, Zecora smiles at me… almost in a pained sort of way. “Such a transition would hurt greatly, but the reward would be stately. Rainbow’s plan is selfless, I am sure; especially to give a gift so pure.” As Zecora says this last part, her eyes twinkle with a wisdom that speaks for itself, and almost explains that which I should’ve known from the beginning.

“Wait- you mean that…” I trail off, and Zecora nods before confirming my suspicion.

“You understand the return on her gift’s fees. Rainbow Dash wishes you to see the world as she sees.” Rainbow Dash, the Element of Loyalty. Apparently, she considers me a friend, worthy of the same respect as the five with whom she shares a deeper bond than could ever be found on Earth. I am honored.

Zecora gives me a couple books for Twilight to read through, and then sends me on my way with an admonishment to seek out Rainbow Dash. She also hands me a necklace with some kind of charm on it (“With this stone, you can venture all day. As long as you wear it, you’ll find your way,” she had explained), and bid me farewell and good luck. I returned to Ponyville, making all possible haste.


As I return to the small town, I notice the cyan pegasus of the hour napping on a cloud- right next to Twilight’s balcony. Having set the books down on the table on the way up, I step out onto the balcony with Twilight in tow.

“Hey, Rainbow Dash!” I reach out with a stick, intent on nudging her to get her attention. Without moving, not even to turn around, she responds in a tone that suggests I just fell for a prank.

“Wazzup, Steve? What were you planning on doing with that stick?” I blush, tossing the stick overboard to the ground below the balcony. Rainbow snickers. “You were going to poke me and make sure I was awake, weren’t you?” I blush, embarrassed at having been caught red-handed. She finally shifts on the cloud to face me, smirking. Not for the first time, I notice that her magenta eyes hold a fierce, yet playful expression. “It’s fine; not like you could just walk onto this cloud and wake me up, after all.” Jeez, she’s laying it on thick. I’ve noticed that she’s been sticking to some of the physical abilities that only pegasi have, almost as if she’s been trying to convince me how awesome it would be to have those same abilities… if only for a few days. I finally steel my nerves for what I’m about to say.

“Rainbow Dash…” I begin, watching her reaction carefully. “I talked with Zecora about your idea. She thinks I should go for it, and I agree.” Rainbow bolts upright, sitting on her haunches. Her face assumes the widest, cutest possible smile at the news, and out of nowhere I hear a strange sound.

“-squee!-”

I’ve just made her day, I can tell. But I’m not finished, not yet. “I’ll also need a teacher; if I have wings of my own, then flying with them won’t be the same as a fixed-wing aircraft. I’d be honored if you taught me how to fly all over again.” Rainbow’s squee expression snaps away in an instant, although I can still see the extreme levels of joy in her eyes. She salutes me.

“Count me in; I won’t let you down!” She lets out a cry of pure excitement, and takes off towards her home in the clouds to get ready, vaporizing the small cloud she had been resting on in the process.

“I know you won’t,” I mumble, barely loud enough for myself to hear. Turning to Twilight, I prepare for the worst. Instead, I get a gentle expression; she seems… sorry for me. Like she knows something I don’t. “Let’s prepare for this,” I begin, unfazed by her almost-mournful expression. “Where do we begin?”