• Published 14th Jul 2012
  • 807 Views, 11 Comments

A New Perspective - kharne34231



What if, everything you knew was gone? What if you awoke in a world you did not recognize? What if you yourself had changed? I did, and this

  • ...
 11
 807

starting a new life

Chapter 6 starting a new life

You know how it feels when someone dies. Bad huh, sadly it doesn’t go away fast and in my case it felt like everyone had just died. Needless to say I was out of it for quite a while. It took me at least a week to work through it all, thanks to Fluttershy’s kindness that is.

I also had a lot to thank the princess for. If it wasn’t for her I would have been dead, for real. I didn’t know it at the time but she was also responsible for building me a home in Ponyville. It had a nice rustic feel to it. I was soon able to make it the center of my work, which I decided after a lot of thought to be contracting.

I was soon making designs for buildings, homes, bridges and many other things. It would often help take my mind off what happened. There was one other thing that I found rather liberating though. As of about 4 or so days ago I was able to fly around to an extent. Granted it wasn’t anything special but when Rainbow caught wind of it she showed up rather fast.

*knock* *knock* *knock* “hey Cameron I know your in there! Open up.” The ponies had graciously decided to use my human name a while ago. I felt more at ease with it and I believe they understood.

“Oh, hey Rainbow give me a second I’ll let you in.” I trotted over to the door and opened it up for her.

“So, I heard you were finally flying… I guess for the first time huh.”

“I suppose it is the first time isn’t it.” I said with a half smile on my face.

“You know what that means right?” I looked at her puzzled. “It means you’re going to try out for the team.” I had completely forgotten about that.

“Geez time flies, huh. Well I try to be a man err pony of my word. So when are you holding tryouts?” I asked.

“For you, right now.” She said with a grin.

She took me out to the Ponyville track where two others were. One of which was Thunderlane, I didn’t recognize the other though. As far as I could tell Thunderlane wasn’t impressed with my presence, in fact he seemed a little nonchalant about the whole thing.

“Alright Cameron I would like you to meet the team thus far. That there is Thunderlane.” He nodded, I waved. “And this is speedy.” She stepped forward.

“Nice to meet you.” she was a dark blue Pegasus with a gold hinted mane. She was slightly more bulky than Rainbow but her wing span was also larger. Her cutie mark was that of a bird and some notes. She put out her hoof.

“Nice to meet you too.” Politely I shook it.

“Anyway everyone this is Cameron he is going to be trying out for the team!” at least Speedy was somewhat enthusiastic, Thunderlane didn’t really seem to care much.

“So how exactly do I try out for the team?”

“There are three parts to it.” Rainbow began. “First off is a test of endurance. Then we need to see how fast you, which in your case I’m willing to put off for now on account of your wing still not being fully healed. Then finally is an altitude test where we are going to see how high your limit is. Simple enough huh.” Up until she said Altitude it was simple, now I might fail from fear of heights.

“Well I guess we should get started then huh.”

The endurance test was simple enough; all I had to do was keep in the air at an altitude of 50 meters for as long as possible. I found that getting to the altitude was easy, staying there was harder. In equestrian the clouds are lower than on earth and there is a reason for that. In equestrian air density follows different principles, in other words the air gets thinner faster.

I had never been this high up before but it wasn’t too bad. Flying gave me a liberating feeling that helped with my fears, not only that but the view was amazing. Simply put you haven’t seen Ponyville until you have flown.

When I reached the altitude I needed to reach the air was fairly thin and I had to beat my wings extra hard to keep up, which reinvigorated some of the pain in them. I was able to work through it though and I kept flying, that was the easy part though. I began to have some difficulty breathing at that high and I got exasperated fairly quickly. What was only a few minutes felt like hours of hard work?

After what I assumed was at least four minutes I couldn’t hold myself up anymore and I descended to the land. I could breathe again which helped and the better air density made it easy for me to fly so the pain settled away. The other pegasi seemed impressed with what I had done.

“Cameron, you made it longer than I expected.” Rainbow began. “I expected you to last about two or three minutes with that wing, couldn’t have felt that good.”

“Ah nothing I can’t handle.” I looked over to the others. “So how long did they stay up then?”

“Well they each made it about six minutes, which I’m sure you could do if you were in better condition.” Fair enough, I suppose I could have stayed up longer if I was feeling better. “So then next is altitude, I’ll save speed for later.”

This was a very straight forward test; all I had to do was get up as high as I could. I began flapping my wings and slowly I ascended. It took me very little time to pass up the 50 meter mark.

The air only got thinner from there. As I approached about 80 meters it had took me about the same time to get from 0 to 50. Not only that but it got considerably harder for me to breath. I had seen on the TV on earth how people climbing Mount Everest were very short of breath when getting near the top. I knew how they felt now.

My breaths became heavy panting and I wasn’t gaining any altitude. I was at what I assumed to be close to 100 meters, I had to at least get that far. With a burst of energy I threw myself up to the top of my limit at which for a split moment I was able to see all of equestrian. It was truly a sight to behold. Then I looked down, only I wasn’t afraid. I was flying high above equestrian and I was free. I felt liberated, I was so happy I was able to completely ignore my wings pain.

I went down to the ground to meet Rainbow and the others. Apparently I had done something to impress them as they were all shocked when I got down.

“What’s wrong? Did I do something wrong?” I asked.

“no.” speedy started excitedly. “It’s just we never expected you to get past 80 meters. You made it to 100 that’s impressive.” She said with a lot of energy.

“So did I pass?” I asked Rainbow.

“Heck ya you did. You went far beyond what I was expecting you to pull off.” She gave me a pat on the back. “In fact what do you think about trying the speed test?” I had impressed them that was for sure, and something inside me told me to keep going. I don’t know if it was the adrenaline but I was really happy for the first time in a while. Flying was great and I wanted to do more.

“What’s the test?”

The speed test was a two part test, for one they had to test my wing power. I had to exceed at least 8.0 to pass that. Then I had to race one of the pegasi, obviously Rainbow was out of the question for that one.

I lined up on the tracks straight away and got ready to fly as fast as possible. At the other end was an odometer, which I assume was the same one that Twilight had used earlier for when they were testing wing power. They were all waiting at the other side for me to start.

I threw myself forward with a large flap of my wings. Again both adrenaline and pain filled me. I was able to work through it in order to make at least ten heavy flaps. I flew past them incredibly fast and the odometer began to spin. Rainbow looked over with a big grin on her face.

“You are really amazing you know that right.” I looked over at the gauge it read 8.9. Even Thunderlane was amazed at what he saw. “I think you’re going to be a great flyer for this team. So who do you want to race?”

I looked around at the other two. Speedy had really big wings so racing her would be a bad choice and I already knew I couldn’t beat Rainbow dash even if I wanted to. That left Thunderlane, who was shocked by my flight speed. Perhaps I could beat him.

We lined up at the starting line and got ready. Thunderlane was stretching his wings and setting himself up in a racing stance. I was just getting ready the only way I knew, clearing my mind and relaxing my muscles.

Then from down the track I heard the loud ring of a whistle. My nerves jumped and I threw myself forward. Thunderlane was already in front of me! I had to pick up the pace. I pumped my wings as hard as I could; it was enough for me to pass him up. Then we got to the turn. Thunderlane slowed down but I decided I could get it if I made a hard enough angle on it.

I turned my body 90 degrees so I was adjacent to the ground and arched my back. The G’s were something I had never felt before. My body was being forced through my chest and my stomach fell into my gut. It was the most amazing feeling I had ever felt.

By now I was already on the straight away Thunderlane had just made it about three quarters around the turn. I threw my wings down and received another burst of speed that propelled me faster than ever before. I didn’t slow down at the next turn.

The G’s at this turn were far greater than the previous one and I thought I could hold it. If it weren’t for my wing I would have too. When I was half way through the turn my wing popped and my adrenaline rush disappeared. I dropped to the ground and rolled violently into a bush not far from the edge.

I was covered in scraped and some minor cuts but that didn’t hurt. My wing was paralyzing me in pain, the muscle had cramped up and I was experiencing a Charlie horse, ironic I know. I could fly anymore, not today at least. Thunderlane had stopped and ran over to help me out. Soon enough Rainbow and speedy were there too.

“Nice crash kid.” Thunderlane said half-jokingly. I couldn’t force out a smile.

“Alright what happened Cameron?” Rainbow asked.

“I had a muscle spasm, my wing is out of operation right now.” I tried to move it only to have a sharp pain run through it.

“Well I gotta say that was gutsy.” She smiled “welcome to the team.”

“But I didn’t win.”

“We didn’t expect you to win we just wanted to see how you compared with us. The fact that you were BEATING him is enough for me to say I want you in the team.” Speedy nodded in agreement and by the look on Thunderlane’s face I could tell he agreed too.

Under other circumstances I assume I would be happy but right now I was hurting a little much for that. Seeing this Rainbow let me leave after telling me that practice is every Monday when the sun rises. That gave me a good three days to get rested.

I set out to my home and gradually developed a smile on my face. I was getting a life back. I was on a sports team now; I had a job and a house. Best of all though I had friends again. I felt free and happy, Equestria was my home now and I was going to make the best I could of it.