• Published 7th Jul 2017
  • 507 Views, 19 Comments

The Good, The Bad and the Princess - BorealStargazer



Luna is making a visit to the farthest existing planetary colony. A sudden sandstorm forces her to lay low for a while. She decides to use her "spare time" to inspect a local mining facility. Not everything, however, happens to be idyllic here...

  • ...
 19
 507

Eight

“Should I remind you my responsibility is information security, princess?” Dogrose curled into a ball on her bed, next to the notebook, and offered the only chair to her guest. “I won't be able to answer most questions about the procedures or personal data.”

“Principles?” princess inclined her head in recognition. “A rare find nowadays. Let's call it... a mental exercise then. Building hypothetical castles. How about that?”

“Suits me. Coffee?”

“Got any cream?” Luna smiled cunningly.

“You bet,” Dow forced an injured face, enveloping a plastic packet hidden behind the pile of spare parts in her magic.

“Well, in this case...”

Coffee turned out to be quite a nice blend.

“An instant one?” the princess asked to be sure, the thing was almost obvious.

“I'm a too lazy creature,” Dow waved her off. “Still, it's a real sublimated Arabica.”

“You said you didn't do coffee.”

“You're not the captain,” the unicorn countered. “So what is it you want to know?”

“Where was Celekh heading to?” princess decided to start from the most important part.

“Dunno. No, really, I don't know!” Dogrose repeated. “Never told me. She's not the most talkative type. I can only assume.”

She put the mug she levitated to the side and turned her notebook to the princess.

“Our plateau has a very convenient location. It could all be monitored from the radio tower, if not for the storm.”

“If not for the storm,” Luna nodded. “And if there is one?”

“Now it can't. But this will change. After the storm is over, all will be in the open. If Celekh doesn't want to be found... Or doesn't want to be found too fast...” she put her hoof at the eastern end. “Here and here. We're covered by the mountain ridge from the west, and eastern side is too steep to transport any goods. That's why there are two descents made in the eastern slope.”

“Why two?”

“Neightport was not yet built back then. I guess. History is not my strongest,” Dow scratched her ear and pointed at the southeast. “The rail was constructed later. Now it's the only transit line in active exploitation. A canyon here,” her hoof slid through the scheme on the screen and stopped at the northeastern corner, “was the initial supply line. All the amber mined was delivered to the capital by the means of common cargo trucks.”

“Why isn't it in use now?”

“Landslides,” Dow pursed her lips. “The slope turned out to be very unstable. The storms repeatedly damaged the reinforcing walls. In addition, after the freight traffic shifted to Neightport is was more convenient to have a more direct route. If the captain really decided to look for Celekh he would warn the monitor bunker situated on the railway line here. Perhaps that's exactly what he did,” the unicorn grinned.

Luna looked at her questioningly.

“Monorail is practically the only reliable landmark in the storm,” Dogrose acknowledged. “You will never get lost following it. Except you can also be found in no time. No. If Celekh didn't want to be found she didn't choose this route.”

“And that northern route, is it passable?”

“In all honesty I have no idea,” the blue unicorn frowned. “That's not a place for a car, even a passenger one. If you travel on foot, have the equipment and wear exoarmor... probably.”

“How about Sokolka?”

“The dimensions... yet the equipment... Maybe. Maybe not. There is a chance.”

“Why did she leave, Dow?” Luna carefully moved the notebook aside.

“I don't know,” the blue unicorn looked down. “Why are you asking? Do you really want to... follow her?”

“No,” the princess's eyes were dreamy. “Not really. Been there. Still, we're leaving in an hour at most. Do you want to follow?”

“Your Highness?”

“Or is it because she's an umbrum?” Luna surmised innocently.

“I don't discriminate ponies because of their origin,” Dogrose clenched her teeth. “Unlike someone else.”

“The captain?” Luna asked. “He's a soldier, isn't he? He can have his reasons for hating the umbrum.”

“A closet officer,” Dow corrected. “He has a combatant's certificate, sure. They say he even was at the frontline. Once or twice, choosing the days during the standstill.”

“So his reasons...”

“...are of a purely career variety,” unicorn confirmed and added sarcastically. “Ponies have a thing for black-and-white pictures and ostentatious patriotism.”

“If you didn't know exactly what she was going to do, why help her?”

“With the software?” Dogrose threw her forelock back (it returned to its place almost instantly). “It was a good... distraction. A change in occupation.”

“No,” the alicorn shook her head. “With the whole escape thing.”

Dow narrowed her eyes looking at the princess.

“Correct me if I am mistaken. The guard post had been thinking all the vehicles and equipment were in the hangar until captain told them otherwise. I'm not a security specialist but I doubt Celekh had access to security cameras.”

“She had,” unicorn began. Then sighed and agreed. “Okay, she had no clandestine access. It's not too hard to cycle one of the records, putting in on an endless playback loop. They are all butterhooved down here... not to say half-asses. Couldn't just sit and watch now, could I?”

Author's Note:

Previously in the story...