• Published 30th Jun 2017
  • 962 Views, 25 Comments

Looking For Trouble - CoffeeMinion



Ten years after the Friendship Games ended in disaster, Sunset Shimmer’s self-imposed vigil over Canterlot keeps its survivors relatively safe. But one day a stranger comes to town looking to unearth a secret that Sunset had buried in the past...

  • ...
3
 25
 962

Chapter 5: End of the Line

I ended up plenty stiff the next morning, what with my hotel’s rather humble accommodations. I counted myself lucky that they offered any kinda breakfast at all, much less one that seemed worth eating. Figured I could sit a spell and ponder what to do with what I’d learned the night before.

Didn’t reckon that I’d bump into Miss Ditzy on my way out.

I noticed that her mouth was pulled into a tight lil’ frown and her eyes looked misty, so I asked, “Is something wrong, ma’am?” Then I cocked my head and asked, “I reckon that you must be missing school by now, aren’t you?”

“Not yet,” she said. “I need to get there soon. But I wanted to come find you, if I could. To apologize for how I clammed-up last night.”

“That’s all right,” I said. “I understand some things ain’t easy to talk about.”

Then she got real quiet and looked around before leaning close. “I did know… that man. Better than I wish I had.”

“Well hot diggity,” I said under my breath. “Do you know if he’s around?”

“I don’t think so,” she said, though she looked real nervous saying it. “I haven’t seen him in a couple years.”

So then I asked, “You wouldn’t happen to know how his pocketwatch might’ve just recently ended up with some merchant, would you?”

She nodded. “It was all he left me with. Well, almost all. Much as I… I hated him afterward, I couldn’t bear getting rid of it. Probably never would’ve, but I came up short a couple months ago when Dinky needed medicine.”

I nodded real slow, ’cause it was all starting to make sense. Then I said: “Last night I might’ve dug up a lead on someplace where he’s been, though I could sure use a hand making sense o’ the specifics.”

And she just looked up into my eyes, and hers got all big and teary, and she asked one question: “What are you going to do if you find him?”

I swallowed hard. Truth be told, I definitely should’ve gone back and reported things by that point. But I know that sometimes, out here in the desert, doing the right thing ain’t always the same as doing what you’re supposed to do. So I went for broke again: “I’m gonna bring him in for what he’s done, ma’am.”

And she nodded, and smiled, and said: “I’ll get someone to watch Dinky after school. Meet me where we ran into each other yesterday?”

I tipped my hat and smiled, and turned, and only just managed to not walk facefirst into a doorframe. I don’t think she noticed, though, or if she did she didn’t seem to care. But then I didn’t either, because we had a date. A date! Sure, a date to go and track down someone who had hurt her bad and left her with a child, but I wasn’t going to argue. Heck, I thought it just might even be a sign my luck was set to turn around.

That there was a nice idea, anyway.

Well, sure enough we met up and got talking ‘bout the landmarks I’d picked up the night before. Didn't mean much to me, but Miss Ditzy said she reckoned that they pointed to a broken-down old culvert that ran ‘round the back of Canterlot High. Said that it was empty and closed down for safety reasons last she’d heard, though, and she didn’t figure anyone would have a reason to go down in there no more.

Now that of course raised every kind of red flag you can think of for me. I know if I was on the lam, that’s just the sorta place I might try hiding out in, safety or not. And I knew just then that I would have to check it out.

I couldn’t get Miss Ditzy to stay behind. I made her promise to wait by the entrance, at least. Almost wish I hadn’t, though; I was just a couple hundred feet down the path through that dank hellhole and fightin’ an untimely flashlight malfunction, when I heard her scream from back outside. My heart leapt up into my throat, and I called to her, and I turned right back and bolted for the entrance. But then, just addin’ injury to insult, someone jumped me from the shadows. I managed to get out my gun and fire once, but then I got clocked pretty good.

Well then… I reckon that's just about everything I know. Except…

Look… I… I think you have Miss Ditzy. Now I don’t want anything I’ve done here to bring her more harm than she’s already been through. She’s beautiful, and way too trusting. I get that now. Please, whatever you do to me… just promise me you’ll let her go.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d like to make it outta here in one piece, too. But by now you oughtta know what kinda man I am, and what I came to do, and I reckon that might leave you with a choice to make. Now I don’t know for sure if Blueblood’s down there in that culvert, or even if you’re trying to protect him or something. All I’ve got is just a hunch: you’re Sunset aren’t you?

You were the woman who approached me in the alley, weren't you? And the one who drank alone back at the house?

Well ma’am, if you'll forgive my saying so, I wouldn’t reckon you quite look the part of Canterlot’s guardian angel… t-though looks can be deceivin’, and I sure understand—please put down that knife! I—

*click*

Author's Note:

One more to go... :twilightsmile: